• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Unlocked Pixel 6

Search This thread

gcodori

Nov 11, 2007
I am looking at getting the Pixel 6 (or possibly the 6 pro) and was checking out the Google store where they sell different versions of the 6/6pro.

I'm on Verizon and my current pixel is a Verizon version which has a locked bootloader. I've bricked my device twice because of failed OTAs and I want my next one to be an unlocked Google version instead of the locked down Verizon version. I want to be able to install TWRP like I used to with my Samsung devices (I left Samsung devices when they started locking them down).

In the fine print, it says the unlocked version does not work with Verizon's mmWave network (5G).

Is this correct? If I get an unlocked version it will not work with the fastest version of 5G? Or is this because it works with any carrier and they all use different 5G bands?

TLDR: I want a version that I can unlock the BL. Will I lose out on 5G if I buy this version? Pardon the question if this has already been answered in some of the other google 5G devices like the pixel 4/5 +5G forums...

Krusej23

Dec 19, 2012
I am looking at getting the Pixel 6 (or possibly the 6 pro) and was checking out the Google store where they sell different versions of the 6/6pro.

I'm on Verizon and my current pixel is a Verizon version which has a locked bootloader. I've bricked my device twice because of failed OTAs and I want my next one to be an unlocked Google version instead of the locked down Verizon version. I want to be able to install TWRP like I used to with my Samsung devices (I left Samsung devices when they started locking them down).

In the fine print, it says the unlocked version does not work with Verizon's mmWave network (5G).

Is this correct? If I get an unlocked version it will not work with the fastest version of 5G? Or is this because it works with any carrier and they all use different 5G bands?

TLDR: I want a version that I can unlock the BL. Will I lose out on 5G if I buy this version? Pardon the question if this has already been answered in some of the other google 5G devices like the pixel 4/5 +5G forums...
The unlocked version doesn't have the fastest version of 5g for Verizon but Verizon has that so few spots that it's basically worthless at this point. Maybe in 3 years it will be worthwhile but I wouldn't buy a phone based on that spec.

gcodori

Nov 11, 2007
Ah cool. So the short answer for Verizon is:
6 Pro - locked or unlocked works on all 5G frequencies, so get the unlocked one.

6 unlocked - does not have mmW. But Verizon mmW sux at the moment (depends where you live) so no big loss...

6 locked - works with Verizon bands but is locked by VZW

NavySpark

Ah cool. So the short answer for Verizon is:
6 Pro - locked or unlocked works on all 5G frequencies, so get the unlocked one.

6 unlocked - does not have mmW. But Verizon mmW sux at the moment (depends where you live) so no big loss...

6 locked - works with Verizon bands but is locked by VZW

Correct. For non-pro Pixel 6, mmW is only available on the Pixel 6 locked version from Verizon.

To be honest, look at the coverage map for mmW to see if you get any use out of it. It is so limited that most won't see a beneift. It does suck Verizon will not offer a lock non-mmW version so people can take advantage of trade-in deals and such.

alershka

Oct 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
Correct. For non-pro Pixel 6, mmW is only available on the Pixel 6 locked version from Verizon.

To be honest, look at the coverage map for mmW to see if you get any use out of it. It is so limited that most won't see a beneift. It does suck Verizon will not offer a lock non-mmW version so people can take advantage of trade-in deals and such.
I didn't realize this when I ordered my P6 but I agree it is not a huge deal at this point. I am still getting mostly LTE at home and work on VZW and slower 5g on my Pixel 5 every once in a while right now. I have had two work phones, one on TMobile and the other on AT&T both Galaxy phones and I was getting faster speeds on 5g when I had it. I am tempted to go TMobile as I now get just as good coverage at my house as Verizon.

NavySpark

I didn't realize this when I ordered my P6 but I agree it is not a huge deal at this point. I am still getting mostly LTE at home and work on VZW and slower 5g on my Pixel 5 every once in a while right now. I have had two work phones, one on TMobile and the other on AT&T both Galaxy phones and I was getting faster speeds on 5g when I had it. I am tempted to go TMobile as I now get just as good coverage at my house as Verizon.

TMobile's 5G still needs a lot of work. For me, it's less stable and speed improvements are negligible most of the time. Their LTE does just fine and I get good enough reception and speed for me.

My main reason to be with TMobile is the price I pay for our 5 lines, can't beat it.

TMobile's 5G still needs a lot of work. For me, it's less stable and speed improvements are negligible most of the time. Their LTE does just fine and I get good enough reception and speed for me.

My main reason to be with TMobile is the price I pay for our 5 lines, can't beat it.
Are you planning to get your Pixel 6 from T-Mobile? If so, have you heard anything about how the monthly updates will work with T-Mobile Pixels vs. Google Pixels? Will it be direct from Google or indirect from T-Mobile?

BTW, I also stay with T-Mobile since my monthly has been under $100 for a decade+ for 3 lines.

NavySpark

Are you planning to get your Pixel 6 from T-Mobile? If so, have you heard anything about how the monthly updates will work with T-Mobile Pixels vs. Google Pixels? Will it be direct from Google or indirect from T-Mobile?

BTW, I also stay with T-Mobile since my monthly has been under $100 for a decade+ for 3 lines.

I bought my Pixel 6 directly from Google this time. I have been exclusively doing unlocked phones for last 3-4. Main reason is the delay in updates and features. I love how Google updates most apps and features separately of the OS update. I find many carrier phones lump upgrades together. Also give me the option to try beta softwares and such.

I usually sell on Swappa but actually doing a trade-in with Google since they offered me $375 for my Pixel 5.

Reactions: phaino00
I bought my Pixel 6 directly from Google this time. I have been exclusively doing unlocked phones for last 3-4. Main reason is the delay in updates and features. I love how Google updates most apps and features separately of the OS update. I find many carrier phones lump upgrades together. Also give me the option to try beta softwares and such.

I usually sell on Swappa but actually doing a trade-in with Google since they offered me $375 for my Pixel 5.
I agree with having the direct 'link', so to speak.

I, on the other hand, have a tendency to keep phones a few years, e.g, last 4 were Nexus 5 unlocked, Pixel unlocked, One Plus 6t (T-Mobile MSM converted to international version), and next Thursday the Pixel 6 (probably T-Mobile version).

First after Motorola razor, was My Touch 3g. 😁

NavySpark

I agree with having the direct 'link', so to speak.

I, on the other hand, have a tendency to keep phones a few years, e.g, last 4 were Nexus 5 unlocked, Pixel unlocked, One Plus 6t (T-Mobile MSM converted to international version), and next Thursday the Pixel 6 (probably T-Mobile version).

First after Motorola razor, was My Touch 3g. 😁

Very nice. I try to keep phones a whole but prior to this had two unfortunate events where I dropped it had needed to replace them. The Pixel 5 been solid but the features and price of the Pixel 6, coupled with my trade value, I decided to upgrade.

freonchill

Jul 11, 2011
Atlanta
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. AT&T is not going to whitelist my OnePlus 5T for VoLTE, so I was going to get an unlocked Pixel 6 (GB7N6), but if they don't whitelist the unlocked pixel 6, then I'm out of luck for it working there too, right? I'm not concerned about mmW, but not being able to use the phone as a phone (voice / VoLTE) will be a problem. But I don't want a locked phone.

Can anyone provide some insight?

thanks in advance.

NavySpark

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. AT&T is not going to whitelist my OnePlus 5T for VoLTE, so I was going to get an unlocked Pixel 6 (GB7N6), but if they don't whitelist the unlocked pixel 6, then I'm out of luck for it working there too, right? I'm not concerned about mmW, but not being able to use the phone as a phone (voice / VoLTE) will be a problem. But I don't want a locked phone.

thanks in advance.
You hit the nail on the head, it is up to AT&T to whitelist. They have previously whitelisted Google phones so I think you will be ok.

This is what I found from AT&T concerning unlocked phones. File says updated October 13th 2021.

Reactions: freonchill

lwinstead

May 4, 2011
Jamestown
Google Pixel 6
I knew about the mmWave situation when I purchased my Pixel 6 and was fine with it; I bought the unlocked model for exclusive use on Verizon. I'm in the middle of North Dakota, and I'm just not worried about it. I haven't even looked at a coverage map, but my cellular bandwidth speed isn't ever why I purchase a phone. I also bought the unlocked version if I decide to root the device in the future.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
mmWave 5g is currently being installed at large facilities where you will find a high density of people Places like airports and sports arenas.

This is because mmWave technology has a very short range and it generally won't penetrate buildings. I doubt mmWave 5g will EVER be used in a lot of places, but I certainly would not worry about it in this generation of phones. Even if you live in a large city (like LA) where mmWave is "rolled out" it is only going to work at these large facilities like the coliseum and airport. If you live in a medium or small city, you won't have mmWave coverage for years - perhaps ever.

There is no way I would pay $100 more for the Verizon phone with mmWave - even if I lived in a big city.

Reactions: Nidstang

InfDaMarvel

Aug 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6
mmWave 5g is currently being installed at large facilities where you will find a high density of people Places like airports and sports arenas.

This is because mmWave technology has a very short range and it generally won't penetrate buildings. I doubt mmWave 5g will EVER be used in a lot of places, but I certainly would not worry about it in this generation of phones. Even if you live in a large city (like LA) where mmWave is "rolled out" it is only going to work at these large facilities like the coliseum and airport. If you live in a medium or small city, you won't have mmWave coverage for years - perhaps ever.

There is no way I would pay $100 more for the Verizon phone with mmWave - even if I lived in a big city.
Exactly. Similar to the initial Roll Out of 4G an d 5G. Its going to need time to grow.

Vio281

May 14, 2020

I disagreed...in the Baltimore region, when there is traffic jam, 5G would connect, LTE would just stalled.

NavySpark

I disagreed...in the Baltimore region, when there is traffic jam, 5G would connect, LTE would just stalled.

I would agree some areas are always better than others but as a whole I believe it still needs a lot of work. The SA rollout is impressive but I still get a lot of "hang" time on true 5G compared to LTE.

This is in multiple areas of the country during my travels over the last year.

djshotty

Oct 7, 2008
East Maitland, NSW, Australia
Wouldn't the network on which you wish to operate the device require a set parameter in the OS that allowed signals from the provider to be deciphered? Back in the day we simply called this 'the radio', and if you wanted to switch providers you had to make sure the device could 'talk' to the new network after you installed a new SIM card. You did that by comparing the device specs with what bandwidths the provider was broadcasting on. If the Pixel you buy shows in its specifications list that it works with the band your provider broadcasts on, it's then a case of ensuring the ROM you run on the device can make use of that particular radio band. Pretty simple, tbh...

rlstapp

Nov 18, 2011
You hit the nail on the head, it is up to AT&T to whitelist. They have previously whitelisted Google phones so I think you will be ok.

This is what I found from AT&T concerning unlocked phones. File says updated October 13th 2021.

The above link was updated on November 4th and AT&T has indeed whitelisted the Pixel 6 (GB7N6). I ordered that phone from Google last week and still waiting for it to arrive. So I can't verify yet if VoLTE and wifi calling will work yet. I can update this post when I get the phone.

Reactions: NavySpark

NavySpark

The above link was updated on November 4th and AT&T has indeed whitelisted the Pixel 6 (GB7N6). I ordered that phone from Google last week and still waiting for it to arrive. So I can't verify yet if VoLTE and wifi calling will work yet. I can update this post when I get the phone.

Good stuff, I am sure you will have no issues as long a the provisioning happens properly. My unlocked Pixel 6 had no isse with T-Mobile utilizing an eSim.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The unlocked version doesn't have the fastest version of 5g for Verizon but Verizon has that so few spots that it's basically worthless at this point. Maybe in 3 years it will be worthwhile but I wouldn't buy a phone based on that spec.

thanks in advance.