• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unlocked Sprint LG V40 for use on Tmobile

Search This thread

rdx2019

Feb 27, 2019
I'm novice to the whole rooting scene so please cope with me.

I found a good deal on almost new Lg v40 from a Sprint user.
We'll meet at Sprint store to verify device is paid off and unlock it.

Once Sprint unlocks it, can I just use this device on Tmobile with my Tmobile sim and will it have band 71 or do I need to have Tmobile fw on it to open band 71 ?
Lg website lists in specs for sprint model (model LM-V405UA) as having band 71.

Can anyone confirm ?

lilhaiti

Aug 11, 2010
Washington DC
I'm novice to the whole rooting scene so please cope with me.

I found a good deal on almost new Lg v40 from a Sprint user.
We'll meet at Sprint store to verify device is paid off and unlock it.

Once Sprint unlocks it, can I just use this device on Tmobile with my Tmobile sim and will it have band 71 or do I need to have Tmobile fw on it to open band 71 ?
Lg website lists in specs for sprint model (model LM-V405UA) as having band 71.

Can anyone confirm ?

I don't think Sprint uses the same LTE bands.

zxhwk

Mar 22, 2008
Fortlaurdale Florida
Mine works just fine on T-mobile as of a week or so ago when i got it .Mine is the Sprint version full network & Factory UNLOCKED.
To make sure your GSM unlocked go to system/system-updates--
Then look in the list UICC Unlock it should say -----( The Device is unlocked for any SIM card )

causticfix

Sep 20, 2007
LG V60 ThinQ
Mine works just fine on T-mobile as of a week or so ago when i got it .Mine is the Sprint version full network & Factory UNLOCKED.
To make sure your GSM unlocked go to system/system-updates--
Then look in the list UICC Unlock it should say -----( The Device is unlocked for any SIM card )

*Edit - confirmed band 71 is only active in the tmo model, I went with it vs an unlocked variant*

Are you able to use band 71/600mhz? I've seen comments suggesting band 71 isn't enabled in any other model besides tmo, even though specs show all variants having the same band capability.

I'm in the same boat, on tmo & tempted by the lower priced unlocked variant, but would like to confirm band 71 is usable before ordering one.

Last edited:

brian9291

Apr 11, 2020
my sprint v40 was working on t mobile for about two weeks then it went dead and lost its network settings now i cant seem to get it back on tmobile some1 help ! i did the uicc unlock and enable oem unlock

NGOwner

Sep 4, 2012
Kansas City
I will be able to report back in about a week whether band 71 works.
I bought the Sprint version of the V40.
I am on Sprint now.
I am crossflashed to US.
I am switching to T-Mobile at the end of the week.
I live in a Band 71 market.

[NG]Owner

Reactions: jimmysofat6864

NGOwner

Sep 4, 2012
Kansas City
So I have switched to TMobile.

I used the hidden Service Menu ( *#546368#*405# ) to force the phone to Band 71. It did not connect to Band 71, instead to Band 2, as reported by LTE Discovery.

I then used the hidden Service Menu ( *#546368#*405# ) to force the phone to Band 12. It did connect to Band 12 as reported by LTE Discovery.

So either band 71 doesn't work, or I don't have access to Band 71 from my house. I have heard that there are confirmed Band 71 sightings in Kansas City, so I will go there to try. Once I do I'll report back.

Both VoWiFi and VoLTE are listed as provisioned.

[NG]Owner

jimmysofat6864

Jan 4, 2018
Can somebody also confirm band 71 compatibility? I'm looking to get a Sprint V40 but I'm not sure if cross flashing will enable band 71. Also can somebody confirm if services such as VoLTE, HD Voice, and Wi-Fi calling will work on a cross flashed device? Also how exactly do you force gsm bands if it gives you a checklist? Do you just remove all the bands but one? Also will crossflashing to unlocked make OTA stop working? If so, why does it not work?

Last edited:

NGOwner

Sep 4, 2012
Kansas City
So I have to amend my previous post:

I can confirm the following:

Using the Hidden Service Menu from this post, and several apps out of the Play store, my phone sees T-Mobile bands 2, 4, 12 and 71 towers. And I have successfully been connected to a Band 71 tower.

Oddly enough, LTE Discovery still reports the connection as a different band. So I'm going with the Hidden Service Menu as definitive.

[NG]Owner

jimmysofat6864

Jan 4, 2018

Using the Hidden Service Menu from this post, and several apps out of the Play store, my phone sees T-Mobile bands 2, 4, 12 and 71 towers. And I have successfully been connected to a Band 71 tower.

Oddly enough, LTE Discovery still reports the connection as a different band. So I'm going with the Hidden Service Menu as definitive.

[NG]Owner
After you cross flashed, do services like VoLTE, HD Voice, and Wi-Fi calling still work?

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

[NG]Owner
Also how were you able to open that hidden menu. I entered in the code and nothing happens.

NGOwner

Sep 4, 2012
Kansas City
After you cross flashed, do services like VoLTE, HD Voice, and Wi-Fi calling still work?
Not sure what you mean by still. I was on Sprint. Received Sprint v40. Immediately crossflashed to US version. Used phone on Sprint. Migrated to T-Mobile. VoLTE, HD Voice, and Wi-Fi calling work. That was the sequence. I have no idea if Sprint has those features or if they work on Sprint. But on T-Mobile with a cross flashed to US version v40, those services work just fine for me.

Now if you are thinking of crossflashing a T-Mobile v40, stop right now. You'll brick it. There is nothing you can do to a TMo v40.

Also how were you able to open that hidden menu. I entered in the code and nothing happens.
I assume you are also entering it into the phone dialer. I type in the code, and the hidden service menu appears. If it's not working for you, I don't know why not.

[NG]Owner

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will be able to report back in about a week whether band 71 works.
    I bought the Sprint version of the V40.
    I am on Sprint now.
    I am crossflashed to US.
    I am switching to T-Mobile at the end of the week.
    I live in a Band 71 market.

[NG]Owner
    So I have switched to TMobile.

I used the hidden Service Menu ( *#546368#*405# ) to force the phone to Band 71. It did not connect to Band 71, instead to Band 2, as reported by LTE Discovery.

I then used the hidden Service Menu ( *#546368#*405# ) to force the phone to Band 12. It did connect to Band 12 as reported by LTE Discovery.

So either band 71 doesn't work, or I don't have access to Band 71 from my house. I have heard that there are confirmed Band 71 sightings in Kansas City, so I will go there to try. Once I do I'll report back.

Both VoWiFi and VoLTE are listed as provisioned.

[NG]Owner

[NG]Owner