• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Unlocked vs T-Mobile version questions.

Search This thread

xVoidx

Jul 14, 2008
I currently have both the T-Mobile version and I purchased an unlocked version from BestBuy.

Are there physical differences to these two phones or are they just running different software?

EDIT I looks like its not possible to unlock the bootloader of the T-Mobile version just yet and I have been doing some searching and it looks like the unlocked version is closer to being unlocked. If anyone can confirm a way to bootloader unlock either I would appreciate it.

My end goal here is to get access to Unlocked/Uncapped tethering without having to use a 3rdparty app or companion app. The ability to flash custom ROMs and root access. But also the ability to flash back to a 100% stock rom.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

EDIT I see now you can get the bootloader unlocked on both version by sending a token to Oneplus and waiting 7 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

lzgmc

Are there physical differences to these two phones or are they just running different software?
The only physical difference is that the T-Mobile version has the IMEI engraved onto the back of the phone while the unlocked variant does not and the original boxes are slightly different.
Both phones run different software. It is possible to flash the unlocked ROM to the T-Mobile version of the phone after unlocking the bootloader, but that breaks OTA.

GOOGLE_USER

Jul 8, 2016
where I go, there I've been.
I currently have both the T-Mobile version and I purchased an unlocked version from BestBuy.

EDIT I looks like its not possible to unlock the bootloader of the T-Mobile version just yet and I have been doing some searching and it looks like the unlocked version is closer to being unlocked. If anyone can confirm a way to bootloader unlock either I would appreciate it.

My end goal here is to get access to Unlocked/Uncapped tethering without having to use a 3rdparty app or companion app. The ability to flash custom ROMs and root access. But also the ability to flash back to a 100% stock rom.

EDIT I see now you can get the bootloader unlocked on both version by sending a token to Oneplus and waiting 7 days.

You may find this useful with the T-Mobile variant: CLICK HERE

edale1

Sep 5, 2016
All the info you need to get your bootloader unlocked for the T-Mobile variant.
There's even a single adb command that will ungrey the OEM unlock option in the developer settings without a SIM unlock (you'll still need the unlock token from OP though):

Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The only physical difference is that the T-Mobile version has the IMEI engraved onto the back of the phone while the unlocked variant does not and the original boxes are slightly different.
    Both phones run different software. It is possible to flash the unlocked ROM to the T-Mobile version of the phone after unlocking the bootloader, but that breaks OTA.

All the info you need to get your bootloader unlocked for the T-Mobile variant.
    There's even a single adb command that will ungrey the OEM unlock option in the developer settings without a SIM unlock (you'll still need the unlock token from OP though):