• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Unlocked vs Verizon

Search This thread

Oaklands

Aug 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I think I am reading it correctly that the unlocked model will not support Verizon mmwave but it should work fine with their other 5g services. I'm not near any of the large cities that use that anyway, so it is no big deal. I am tired of having a locked phone. I haven't kept up with everything in a few years. Can the bootloaders be unlocked and the device be rooted on the unlocked versions? Sorry it is a dumb question but I have been on Verizon Samsung phones for a few years.

Celeras

Oct 19, 2009
I'll let you know, I'm kind of perpetually stuck ordering from Verizon because I get so many device dollars from my Fios account. Not really too concerned about unlocking but I'll check for you.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I think I am reading it correctly that the unlocked model will not support Verizon mmwave but it should work fine with their other 5g services. I'm not near any of the large cities that use that anyway, so it is no big deal. I am tired of having a locked phone. I haven't kept up with everything in a few years. Can the bootloaders be unlocked and the device be rooted on the unlocked versions? Sorry it is a dumb question but I have been on Verizon Samsung phones for a few years.
That's impossible. There won't be a Google device that doesn't support mmWave sold in the US. As for bootloader unlockable as long as you don't get the Verizon model from Google you can unlock it. Not sure what 3rd party retailers are doing. Stepping a little out on a limb here but I'll stick by it unless proven otherwise.

Atmazzz

Jan 10, 2012
North Carolina
Google Pixel 6 Pro
That's impossible. There won't be a Google device that doesn't support mmWave sold in the US. As for bootloader unlockable as long as you don't get the Verizon model from Google you can unlock it. Not sure what 3rd party retailers are doing. Stepping a little out on a limb here but I'll stick by it unless proven otherwise.
From Google store: Unlocked Pixel is not compatible with millimeter wave (mmWave) networks. See g.co/pixel/networkinfo.

I don't understand. In the chart it says it does work.

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
Kalamazoo
on the google site there is an option for the verizon specific one. maybe they did that because verizon will only let their mmwave work on the pixel if it has a locked bootloader? wouldnt be out of the realm for verizon. the unlocked option on google site says works with the 3 major carriers.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
on the google site there is an option for the verizon specific one. maybe they did that because verizon will only let their mmwave work on the pixel if it has a locked bootloader? wouldnt be out of the realm for verizon. the unlocked option on google site says works with the 3 major carriers.
No, that is not the case. Google sells the Verizon model for some reason unbeknownst to me but likely financial. Last year for the Pixel 5 they did the same thing. The Verizon model has different promos attached and you can buy it on your Verizon account without further credit checks and over a period of 24 months rolled into your monthly bill. But you cannot unlock the bootloader in that version, on the Fi and Unlocked version you can.

As for mmWave, every single Pixel device sold in the US is capable. Naturally it depends if your carrier supports it but if they do then you have it. The unlocked P6, or any P6 sold in the states will work on 8 carriers that support mmWave according to what I'm seeing. The locked bootloader on the Verizon device sold by Google is a horse of another color and has nothing to do with 5G capabilities. I am on Verizon but have bought the last 4 Pixels from Google and they all work as if I bought them directly from Verizon. Well... other than the fact I can bl unlock them and the 3a eSim fiasco on the VZW model.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I have read 5 websites including Google and mass confusion reigns. So I might be wrong and I might be right. Here's a link to the one that at least says no one knows wtf is going on. I still think all US versions will be mmWave capable but then there is the sub 5g and UWB thrown into the mix. What a mess. Suffice it to say I will never buy a Verizon branded device so they better sort this out before they ship.

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
I have read 5 websites including Google and mass confusion reigns. So I might be wrong and I might be right. Here's a link to the one that at least says no one knows wtf is going on. I still think all US versions will be mmWave capable but then there is the sub 5g and UWB thrown into the mix. What a mess. Suffice it to say I will never buy a Verizon branded device so they better sort this out before they ship.

Damn I pre-ordered from their website and bought the unlocked version. From my research, it looks like phones bought unlocked from Google will be blocked from using network specific mmWave. If this is the case, I am returning this ****. Really, Google just had to find a way to fudge up a good phone.

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
From what I understand:

All Pixel 6 Pro in the US support Sub6 + mmWave, (Whether a carrier allows access on unlocked models is unclear)

Regular Pixel 6 is Sub6 Only except for the Verizon variant which adds mmWave.

This has never been an issue on Unlocked Samsung models. Each variant has a different SKU and it'd be interesting to find out if it's a different modem entirely or just software optimizations.

My only concern with the Verizon version is that it may not be bootloader unlockable.

znel52

Damn I pre-ordered from their website and bought the unlocked version. From my research, it looks like phones bought unlocked from Google will be blocked from using network specific mmWave. If this is the case, I am returning this ****. Really, Google just had to find a way to fudge up a good phone.
Think it depends on the carrier really. I know this is Samsung and not Google but my unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G is able to use Verizon mmWave. I used it on Fremont Street in Vegas the speed was insane. I don't see why Verizon would block the Pixel 6 if other unlocked phones can use it but I guess these things can happen. In my case I don't really live anywhere near any mmWave areas so it doesn't matter to me as much if I can't use it.

znel52

What a pain. Couldn't get through yesterday to order and out of stock today. What a bummer.
Yeah it was an absolute **** show. I was fortunate and got a 512gb after literally 3 hours of non-stop trying. Hope they re-stock soon for you! I've never had issues like this the last few years pre-ordering Samsung devices.

draexo

Was the pixel 5 verizon bootloader unlockable?? Maybe someone will have a way to unlock the verizon bootloader in the near future?
I am just getting the unlocked version. If it is an issue, I may either switch back to AT&T with my microcell (yes, I still have an AT&T microcell because wifi calling sucks) or sell the unlocked and get the Verizon. I used to be big into custom roms and unlocking bootloaders, but things are to the point where the need just is not there anymore on most phones. Except Samsung and all its bloatware. (sorry, I had to get that dig in!)

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
I've been unlocking and modding my phones since the OG Droid. Originally I would flash ROMs all the time, but Android has evolved so much that now I just unlock for dark mode and ad blocking. Now that dark mode is baked in all I need is the ad blocking. I also want to use my banking apps and Google Pay. So, for the first time in many years, I ordered the Verizon model from Google. I'll see if it's unlockable. If it isn't, no big deal. If it is, I might, and I might not.

With the unlocked OnePlus 8 Pro, we never got native Wi-Fi calling working on Verizon, so I don't want to miss out on that again, or any data bands.

I'm amped for the 6 Pro. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it. My brother-in-law is one of the heads of Photoshop and AI at Adobe. I'm think he'll be interested in taking a peek at it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, that is not the case. Google sells the Verizon model for some reason unbeknownst to me but likely financial. Last year for the Pixel 5 they did the same thing. The Verizon model has different promos attached and you can buy it on your Verizon account without further credit checks and over a period of 24 months rolled into your monthly bill. But you cannot unlock the bootloader in that version, on the Fi and Unlocked version you can.

As for mmWave, every single Pixel device sold in the US is capable. Naturally it depends if your carrier supports it but if they do then you have it. The unlocked P6, or any P6 sold in the states will work on 8 carriers that support mmWave according to what I'm seeing. The locked bootloader on the Verizon device sold by Google is a horse of another color and has nothing to do with 5G capabilities. I am on Verizon but have bought the last 4 Pixels from Google and they all work as if I bought them directly from Verizon. Well... other than the fact I can bl unlock them and the 3a eSim fiasco on the VZW model.
    The Verizon Pixel 6 Pro and Unlocked 6 Pro both listed the same supported bands, despite having a different SKU. When Google notes that the Pixel does not support mmWave, I think they're referring to the regular unlocked Pixel 6, not the Pro.
    From what I understand:

All Pixel 6 Pro in the US support Sub6 + mmWave, (Whether a carrier allows access on unlocked models is unclear)

Regular Pixel 6 is Sub6 Only except for the Verizon variant which adds mmWave.

This has never been an issue on Unlocked Samsung models. Each variant has a different SKU and it'd be interesting to find out if it's a different modem entirely or just software optimizations.

My only concern with the Verizon version is that it may not be bootloader unlockable.
    Think it depends on the carrier really. I know this is Samsung and not Google but my unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G is able to use Verizon mmWave. I used it on Fremont Street in Vegas the speed was insane. I don't see why Verizon would block the Pixel 6 if other unlocked phones can use it but I guess these things can happen. In my case I don't really live anywhere near any mmWave areas so it doesn't matter to me as much if I can't use it.