• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Unlocked vs Verizon

Search This thread

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
From what I understand:

All Pixel 6 Pro in the US support Sub6 + mmWave, (Whether a carrier allows access on unlocked models is unclear)

Regular Pixel 6 is Sub6 Only except for the Verizon variant which adds mmWave.

This has never been an issue on Unlocked Samsung models. Each variant has a different SKU and it'd be interesting to find out if it's a different modem entirely or just software optimizations.

My only concern with the Verizon version is that it may not be bootloader unlockable.
The AT&T 6 model has mmWave as well. It's the T-Mobile and unlocked versions that don't.

The Pixel 6 Pro comes with mmWave on all US models.

Quite frankly this is stupid with the base 6 because T-Mobile has mmWave spectrum too and it's only a matter of time before they start rolling that out in places besides NY.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
The AT&T 6 model has mmWave as well. It's the T-Mobile and unlocked versions that don't.

The Pixel 6 Pro comes with mmWave on all US models.

Quite frankly this is stupid with the base 6 because T-Mobile has mmWave spectrum too and it's only a matter of time before they start rolling that out in places besides NY.
Where did you see that? I'll eat my hat if the Google version doesn't support mmWave. Did you know how many returns they'd have? Something is wrong in the reporting.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Where did you see that? I'll eat my hat if the Google version doesn't support mmWave. Did you know how many returns they'd have? Something is wrong in the reporting.
It's here.

GB7N6 (AU, CA, DE, FR, GB, IE, TW, US/US-FI/US-TMO)Sub-6
G9S9B (US, AT&T & Verizon only)mmWave

If you buy the US unlocked, Google Fi, or T-Mo versions of the regular 6, no mmWave.

If you buy from AT&T or Verizon, you get mmWave.

My guess is that Google decided to bake the mmWave cost into the extra $300 base the Pro has and decided that carriers who wanted mmWave on the 6 could pay extra (and indeed AT&T is charging $140 more for the 6 than buying it directly from Google unlocked and the Pro is an extra $40).

There is precedent for this. Google did it with the 4a 5G where you had to get it directly from Verizon to have mmWave.

EDIT: This also could very well mean that people going for the regular 6 will have to choose between mmWave and an unlockable bootloader because I wouldn't put it past AT&T to ask for/demand it like Verizon does.

EDIT2: AT&T is charging $140 more for the base 6, not $40. $739 vs $599.

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
It's here.

GB7N6 (AU, CA, DE, FR, GB, IE, TW, US/US-FI/US-TMO)Sub-6
G9S9B (US, AT&T & Verizon only)mmWave

If you buy the US unlocked, Google Fi, or T-Mo versions of the regular 6, no mmWave.

If you buy from AT&T or Verizon, you get mmWave.

My guess is that Google decided to bake the mmWave cost into the extra $300 base the Pro has and decided that carriers who wanted mmWave on the 6 could pay extra (and indeed AT&T is charging $140 more for the 6 than buying it directly from Google unlocked and the Pro is an extra $40).

There is precedent for this. Google did it with the 4a 5G where you had to get it directly from Verizon to have mmWave.

EDIT: This also could very well mean that people going for the regular 6 will have to choose between mmWave and an unlockable bootloader because I wouldn't put it past AT&T to ask for/demand it like Verizon does.

EDIT2: AT&T is charging $140 more for the base 6, not $40. $739 vs $599.
I see now. I missed the US, Fi at the end. Cancelling my order for the 6. I'll stick with my 5 for another year. Worst decision Google ever made. The iPhone 13 Pro is looking really good now at 6.1" with mmWave and sub 6 not even an issue. They really messed this launch up. Thanks for the clarification. So damn disappointed.

Oaklands

Aug 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Got mine ordered last night. Shows a January 3-4 delivery date. I managed to get the unlocked black 512gb phone, which is what I wanted. I hope it gets here earlier than that. The 3rd is my birthday.

Oaklands

Aug 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So... do I buy unlocked, which is what I prefer to do, even though I have not unlocked a bootloader in years, or do I buy Verizon, which I must use because of coverage where I live, to ensure compatibility 100%?
I'm in the same shape. We have to use Verizon in my area. I went with the black unlocked 512Gb version. Finally got through last night.

Oaklands

Aug 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've been unlocking and modding my phones since the OG Droid. Originally I would flash ROMs all the time, but Android has evolved so much that now I just unlock for dark mode and ad blocking. Now that dark mode is baked in all I need is the ad blocking. I also want to use my banking apps and Google Pay. So, for the first time in many years, I ordered the Verizon model from Google. I'll see if it's unlockable. If it isn't, no big deal. If it is, I might, and I might not.

With the unlocked OnePlus 8 Pro, we never got native Wi-Fi calling working on Verizon, so I don't want to miss out on that again, or any data bands.

I'm amped for the 6 Pro. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it. My brother-in-law is one of the heads of Photoshop and AI at Adobe. I'm think he'll be interested in taking a peek at it.
I forgot all about the unlocked phones not working with WIFI calling on Verizon. Damn, I'm going to have to think this one over and maybe change my order. Guess I will have to think about how many places I go where I need the Wifi calling.

Here at home I have a 4g range extender from Verizon, so it is not a big deal.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
If it's reliable https://www.droid-life.com/2021/10/20/pixel-6-5g-bands-unlocked-verizon/amp/, although makes no immediate difference to me because I'm staying with 4G.

Here’s the deal, as shared with us by Google this (yesterday) morning:

• Pixel 6 Pro: In the US, all versions of the Pixel 6 Pro have both sub-6 and 5G mmW support. That would be model G8VOU on the Google Store. Across the globe, that may differ and you may find some versions without 5G mmW support, just not in the US. If you are buying unlocked or Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile models in the US, the Pixel 6 Pro will have both sub-6 and 5G mmW support.

• Pixel 6 (unlocked & T-Mobile, $599): The unlocked version of the Pixel 6 (model GB7N6), as well as the version T-Mobile sells, which starts as low as $599, does not have 5G mmW support. You do have sub-6 5G, but not the super fast mmW stuff that you’ll never attach to anyway because mmW is bad technology, barely works through a window, and is on 5 total blocks in about 30 cities. OK, that last part is me being a snide prick, but just know that the unlocked Pixel 6 does not have mmW support.

• Pixel 6 (carrier models, $699): If you buy the Pixel 6 directly from Verizon or AT&T, it costs $699 or $739 (wtf, AT&T?) and does indeed support both sub-6 and mmW. If you buy the Verizon version from the Google Store (model G9S9B), the same applies. That extra mmW support is why it costs extra.

Reactions: bobby janow

kip256

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I forgot all about the unlocked phones not working with WIFI calling on Verizon. Damn, I'm going to have to think this one over and maybe change my order. Guess I will have to think about how many places I go where I need the Wifi calling.

My unlocked OnePlus 7Pro (from T-Mobile) with the International software has WiFi calling on Verizon.

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
My unlocked OnePlus 7Pro (from T-Mobile) with the International software has WiFi calling on Verizon.
I was with Verizon over 15 years my op7 pro never worked right, visual voicemail never worked, wifi calling hardly ever, and text messages were delayed by certain people both ways. I bought an op8 pro unlocked, exact same issues. I dumped Verizon and went to TMobile a couple weeks ago with my op8 pro. Everything works perfect and it's cheaper. Wish I had left Verizon years ago. Also before someone asks I had the CDMA no provisions deal set up.

Edit. and the 5g works now. Didn't with Verizon

Nochis

Feb 24, 2015
Google Pixel XL
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S

My Unlock Pixel 3XL had wifi calling on Verizon. I think the 2 XL too.

Oaklands

Aug 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's good to hear it works. I got to thinking if I am in an area where all I have is WiFi, then I can always use my Google Voice number. Problem solved. Nice to know it should work anyway. Appreciate the posts.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
If it's reliable https://www.droid-life.com/2021/10/20/pixel-6-5g-bands-unlocked-verizon/amp/, although makes no immediate difference to me because I'm staying with 4G.
After my initial shock about mmWave, (I did put salt and ketchup on my hat before I ate it) with posts like yours I had to rethink my assessment about 5G. So after criticism regarding the P5 rollout that everyone in the US had to pay the extra $100 vs. the European model for the mmWave Google has indeed changed their model. Now you will pay the $100 for pretty useless tech and get a locked bootloader in the process. Now I'm not so sure what to do but I have not cancelled my order as of yet.

I did go to BB yesterday and look at the devices. The P6 Pro is too large for my purposes and the P6 is a little too large. But the sales guy had the iPhone Pro Max and that thing is a behemoth. He also said I'd get used to the slightly larger size and not notice it in a weeks time. So I'll see when it arrives. 15 day grace period with probably a $35 return fee if I can't live with it.

• Haha

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
After my initial shock about mmWave, (I did put salt and ketchup on my hat before I ate it) with posts like yours I had to rethink my assessment about 5G. So after criticism regarding the P5 rollout that everyone in the US had to pay the extra $100 vs. the European model for the mmWave Google has indeed changed their model. Now you will pay the $100 for pretty useless tech and get a locked bootloader in the process. Now I'm not so sure what to do but I have not cancelled my order as of yet.

I did go to BB yesterday and look at the devices. The P6 Pro is too large for my purposes and the P6 is a little too large. But the sales guy had the iPhone Pro Max and that thing is a behemoth. He also said I'd get used to the slightly larger size and not notice it in a weeks time. So I'll see when it arrives. 15 day grace period with probably a $35 return fee if I can't live with it.

Even the best find themselves in the same position Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (1980). :)

I used to swear that a 5.5 inch screen is the perfect size for me and that I wouldn't want any bigger. Since Google hadn't yet come out with a Pixel with 512 GB of storage yet after my Pixel 1 had stopped receiving updates almost two years ago, my wife and I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 512 GB (similarly to the 6 Pro being the only one available with 512 GB, the 10+ was the only one with a MicroSD card slot). We love the hardware but hate the software. I think my phone even knows it's about to be sold, as it's been acting even worse lately. The huge screen has been no problem for me. I can fit the phone in its Otterbox Defender case in my pocket fine, although I prefer not to sit with it like that - but most of the time I wouldn't want to sit with a phone in my pocket anyway.

I don't even use any of the abilities to have GBoard, for example, move towards the left or right in order to make it easier to reach everything with one hand.

I do really hate the curved screens, however, but it's a price to pay. Good luck with your choices!

Reactions: bobby janow

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
meh, flash Verizon image to phone and if no mmwaves probably cause no mmwaves here lol. will report results when i get the device but not if it works.
I'm betting Wi-Fi calllling works cause my unlocked fe20 did.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    on the google site there is an option for the verizon specific one. maybe they did that because verizon will only let their mmwave work on the pixel if it has a locked bootloader? wouldnt be out of the realm for verizon. the unlocked option on google site says works with the 3 major carriers.
    No, that is not the case. Google sells the Verizon model for some reason unbeknownst to me but likely financial. Last year for the Pixel 5 they did the same thing. The Verizon model has different promos attached and you can buy it on your Verizon account without further credit checks and over a period of 24 months rolled into your monthly bill. But you cannot unlock the bootloader in that version, on the Fi and Unlocked version you can.

As for mmWave, every single Pixel device sold in the US is capable. Naturally it depends if your carrier supports it but if they do then you have it. The unlocked P6, or any P6 sold in the states will work on 8 carriers that support mmWave according to what I'm seeing. The locked bootloader on the Verizon device sold by Google is a horse of another color and has nothing to do with 5G capabilities. I am on Verizon but have bought the last 4 Pixels from Google and they all work as if I bought them directly from Verizon. Well... other than the fact I can bl unlock them and the 3a eSim fiasco on the VZW model.
    The Verizon Pixel 6 Pro and Unlocked 6 Pro both listed the same supported bands, despite having a different SKU. When Google notes that the Pixel does not support mmWave, I think they're referring to the regular unlocked Pixel 6, not the Pro.
    From what I understand:

All Pixel 6 Pro in the US support Sub6 + mmWave, (Whether a carrier allows access on unlocked models is unclear)

Regular Pixel 6 is Sub6 Only except for the Verizon variant which adds mmWave.

This has never been an issue on Unlocked Samsung models. Each variant has a different SKU and it'd be interesting to find out if it's a different modem entirely or just software optimizations.

My only concern with the Verizon version is that it may not be bootloader unlockable.
    Damn I pre-ordered from their website and bought the unlocked version. From my research, it looks like phones bought unlocked from Google will be blocked from using network specific mmWave. If this is the case, I am returning this ****. Really, Google just had to find a way to fudge up a good phone.
    Think it depends on the carrier really. I know this is Samsung and not Google but my unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G is able to use Verizon mmWave. I used it on Fremont Street in Vegas the speed was insane. I don't see why Verizon would block the Pixel 6 if other unlocked phones can use it but I guess these things can happen. In my case I don't really live anywhere near any mmWave areas so it doesn't matter to me as much if I can't use it.
    I think I am reading it correctly that the unlocked model will not support Verizon mmwave but it should work fine with their other 5g services. I'm not near any of the large cities that use that anyway, so it is no big deal. I am tired of having a locked phone. I haven't kept up with everything in a few years. Can the bootloaders be unlocked and the device be rooted on the unlocked versions? Sorry it is a dumb question but I have been on Verizon Samsung phones for a few years.
    That's impossible. There won't be a Google device that doesn't support mmWave sold in the US. As for bootloader unlockable as long as you don't get the Verizon model from Google you can unlock it. Not sure what 3rd party retailers are doing. Stepping a little out on a limb here but I'll stick by it unless proven otherwise.