• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unlocked Z4 Bootloader vs Verizon Z4

Search This thread

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009
So on motorola.com they offer the Moto Z4 Unlocked and the Moto Z4 Verizon. Is it possible to unlock the bootloader on the unlocked version? I know Verizon locks down all phones. and is it possible to use the carrier unlocked version on Verizon? I know some of the old phones didn't have the correct band to work with Verizon's network but things change and Verizon is now offering bring your own device now.

I'm still rocking the Z force with the shatterproof screen is there any news if Motorola going to bring it back on any new phone?

bdizzle1686

Jul 28, 2014
Washington, MI
Moto Z2 Force
Moto G7
So on motorola.com they offer the Moto Z4 Unlocked and the Moto Z4 Verizon. Is it possible to unlock the bootloader on the unlocked version? I know Verizon locks down all phones. and is it possible to use the carrier unlocked version on Verizon? I know some of the old phones didn't have the correct band to work with Verizon's network but things change and Verizon is now offering bring your own device now.

I'm still rocking the Z force with the shatterproof screen is there any news if Motorola going to bring it back on any new phone?
You can indeed unlock the BL on the unlocked model, and I do believe it is compatible with VZW, however, the Unlocked model won't work with the Verizon 5G Moto mod, even if its on Verizons network. I believe only the VZW model will work with the 5g mod...

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009
You can indeed unlock the BL on the unlocked model, and I do believe it is compatible with VZW, however, the Unlocked model won't work with the Verizon 5G Moto mod, even if its on Verizons network. I believe only the VZW model will work with the 5g mod...

I'm in Los Angeles so its going to be some time before the 5G is up and running here. I'm more interested in the bootloader part of it and if it has band 13 working?

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009
Moto z⁴ unlocked $499.99 connectivity Networks + bands
LTE:B1/B2/B3/B4/B7/B8/B12/B13/B17/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B28/B30/B38/B40/B41/B41HPUE/B66/B71
UMTS: B1/B2/B4/B5/B8
CDMA: BC0/BC1/BC10
GSM: B2/B3/B5/B8

looks like it is compatible on Verizon and AT&T B13 and B17 now i just need proof of bootloader unlocked :fingers-crossed:

wraith1932

Jan 17, 2017
Z4 unlocked version on Verizon here, works fine.

I mentioned this in another thread - I did successfully get a bootloader unlock code from the Moto site, but haven't actually done the unlock yet.

Reactions: Marco0070

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009

I mentioned this in another thread - I did successfully get a bootloader unlock code from the Moto site, but haven't actually done the unlock yet.

Thank you its still a fairly new phone but you would think there should be more info on it. if you ever do unlock it can you post a video please.

shallmann

Jul 9, 2016
Noob question. I'm still on my old Note 3 but looking at possibly upgrading to the z4. Don't you have to root the phone before you can unlock the bootloader?

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009
Noob question. I'm still on my old Note 3 but looking at possibly upgrading to the z4. Don't you have to root the phone before you can unlock the bootloader?

No its the other way around its easier to root the phone after you unlock the bootloader. To root your Android phone (i.e. gain administrative access), you'll need to unlock your bootloader first.

Reactions: shallmann

tenacious soul

May 26, 2019
Moto z⁴ unlocked $499.99 connectivity Networks + bands
LTE:B1/B2/B3/B4/B7/B8/B12/B13/B17/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B28/B30/B38/B40/B41/B41HPUE/B66/B71
UMTS: B1/B2/B4/B5/B8

looks like it is compatible on Verizon and AT&T B13 and B17 now i just need proof of bootloader unlocked :fingers-crossed:

I just bought the moto z4 on Verizon. I was surprised to find that the allow bootloader access wasn't blocked or removed from the developer menu and it was already switched on.

Last edited:

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009
I just bought the moto z4 on Verizon. I was surprised to find that the allow bootloader access wasn't blocked or removed from the developer menu and it was already switched on.

That doesn't really do anything especially on the verizon model. On the unlocked carrier version you need to switch that on then unlock the bootloader with a code that motorola gives you.

Marco0070

Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for your reply. It was backwards with Samsung. In fact for a while I was rooted but couldn't unlock the bootloader.

That is true with a lot of phones but that's a temporary root or a hacked root. Verizon doesn't like their phones to be rooted or bootloader unlocked so they send "security" updates to patch root access to phones that developers found hacks to gain root access to. But if the bootloader is unlocked they can't patch that so you can remove root update your phone then root it again very easily.

keastes

Feb 1, 2013

actually called VZW about this a couple weeks back, tier 1 guy went "uhh, hold a sec, I'll get you to tier 2" tier 2 "good question, i need to ask network and provisioning" the eventual answer was yes they will work.

The only problem i can see, is from what i understand, moto mods are hit and miss with custom roms, so stock will be fine, custom depends.

Reactions: Marco0070

Roamingnome3

May 14, 2015

That's a negative here on my end. Verizon z4 and everything was good until I entered the code from fastboot into the field on the moto website; says "your device cannot be unlocked". love verizon.

Reactions: shallmann
Sep 9, 2008
Moto Z4
I have a brand new Z4 XT1980-3 that I just unlocked (bootloader unlock). The only problem with this model is that WiFi calling and Video calling are not possible on Verizon. Apparently they don't support those features on the XT1980-3. Those features are only available on the Verizon version (XT1980-4). So now that I'm bootloader unlocked, can I just flash the XT1980-4 firmware on the phone? Is that even possible? And will it enable the advanced calling features? I already downloaded the May 2019 firmware from here: https://www.getdroidtips.com/motoro...e-and-firmware-collections-back-to-stock-rom/
Just want to make sure it's safe to flash, and if it will in fact enable WiFi and video calling on the Verizon network. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No its the other way around its easier to root the phone after you unlock the bootloader. To root your Android phone (i.e. gain administrative access), you'll need to unlock your bootloader first.

actually called VZW about this a couple weeks back, tier 1 guy went "uhh, hold a sec, I'll get you to tier 2" tier 2 "good question, i need to ask network and provisioning" the eventual answer was yes they will work.

The only problem i can see, is from what i understand, moto mods are hit and miss with custom roms, so stock will be fine, custom depends.

That's a negative here on my end. Verizon z4 and everything was good until I entered the code from fastboot into the field on the moto website; says "your device cannot be unlocked". love verizon.