Unlocking AMAZON Moto x4 (XT1900-1)

Search This thread

Shadeclan

Jan 7, 2017
Bennington, VT
So, I've seen some posts concerning this and, at this point, I'm ready to purchase and replace the motherboard.

My daughter recently acquired a used Moto X4 (running Android 9 "pie") from a friend and she wants it de-Googled. I can get the unlock data to unlock the bootloader but Motorola says that the phone is unlockable - that would be because the phone had been purchased from Amazon (software variant / channel = "amz"). I think that if the ROM and bootloader could be replaced with stock (which, apparently could be done if the phone were on a lower Android version), I'd be in business but everywhere I've looked says that this is impossible - Motorola must do an amazing job of locking down their phones!

Since I'm just about ready to purchase a new motherboard ($60+ at cellspare), any "dangerous" suggestions are welcome since she refuses to use the phone as-is - can't say that I blame her.

Kilogrm

Feb 8, 2015
You could try to flash the phone with the stock ROM of the google FI variant, but whether or not that works would be anybodys guess as I don't believe the IMEI would be changed. If you are planning to get a new device anyway, it couldn't hurt to try it and see before you buy another phone. I have the google Fi variant, and I know for a fact that the bootloader can be unlocked on it.

Shadeclan

Jan 7, 2017
Bennington, VT
You could try to flash the phone with the stock ROM of the google FI variant, but whether or not that works would be anybodys guess as I don't believe the IMEI would be changed. If you are planning to get a new device anyway, it couldn't hurt to try it and see before you buy another phone. I have the google Fi variant, and I know for a fact that the bootloader can be unlocked on it.
I have tried loading different ROMs onto a locked Motorola phone in the past - the bootloader will not permit itself to be overwritten without being unlocked. As I understand it, there's a hidden partition where a copy of the bootloader resides and, with the locked bit set, any attempt to overwrite the boot partition will trigger a check against the hidden partition and will prevent the overwrite.