Unlocking Bootloader/ Magisk Attempt

Search This thread

loloudoudara

Feb 29, 2012
it's correct now, but when flashing the latest riru core and edxposed, quickstep launcher crashes consistently along with system settings. it forces me to factory reset.
I'm sorry, I haven't really played with Riru and EDXposed. It looks like it might be worth posting on the official EDXposed thread.

Rai3

Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the link.
However, I can't use this technique because I have lost my original boot image.
I think I can disassemble the new recovery image with payload_dumper and write all the img with dd, but I haven't tried it because I'm afraid of breaking it.
I do not understand android very well.

NTchrist

May 10, 2011
Thanks for the link.
However, I can't use this technique because I have lost my original boot image.
I think I can disassemble the new recovery image with payload_dumper and write all the img with dd, but I haven't tried it because I'm afraid of breaking it.
I do not understand android very well.

which boot image do you need? I have the last few original images.

Also, booting from the original boot image via fastboot should be a safe process even if you use the wrong one. Worst case is the system bootloops or crashes and simply rebooting the phone from local storage (power off / power on using hardware button) will boot from whatever is presumably working now.

Rai3

Oct 23, 2017
which boot image do you need? I have the last few original images.

Also, booting from the original boot image via fastboot should be a safe process even if you use the wrong one. Worst case is the system bootloops or crashes and simply rebooting the phone from local storage (power off / power on using hardware button) will boot from whatever is presumably working now.
Requires bootimg for 2020.1211.86.
I understand booting with fastboot.
The problem is that it is impossible to recover
There is no OTA update method.

NTchrist

May 10, 2011
Requires bootimg for 2020.1211.86.
I understand booting with fastboot.
The problem is that it is impossible to recover
There is no OTA update method.
sorry I don't have one that old. your best bet would just be to back everything up with titanium or something and do a wipe/update/restore

Rai3

Oct 23, 2017
sorry I don't have one that old. your best bet would just be to back everything up with titanium or something and do a wipe/update/restore
Thank you for your kindness.
I made a mistake and overwrote the original img, leaving only the magisk img.
I didn't understand that AT & T img and MS img are different.
Restore will not start with the wrong img.
Even replace it with a new virsion bootimg, restore will not start.
Since it is rewritten with magisk img, it will not be restored even if wiped.
Is my mistake

NTchrist

May 10, 2011
Thank you for your kindness.
I made a mistake and overwrote the original img, leaving only the magisk img.
I didn't understand that AT & T img and MS img are different.
Restore will not start with the wrong img.
Even replace it with a new virsion bootimg, restore will not start.
Since it is rewritten with magisk img, it will not be restored even if wiped.
Is my mistake

you should be able to flash everything from the current image with fastboot no matter what the state of your device.

Rai3

Oct 23, 2017
you should be able to flash everything from the current image with fastboot no matter what the state of your device.
That's the point I don't understand.
There are 24 imgs,
$ fastboot flash <partition> <filename>
<partition> doesn't understand what to show.
Please let me know if possible.

NTchrist

May 10, 2011
That's the point I don't understand.
There are 24 imgs,
$ fastboot flash <partition> <filename>
<partition> doesn't understand what to show.
Please let me know if possible.
  1. Unplug the USB cable from your Surface Duo
  2. turn it off
  3. press and hold the Volume down button, then press and release the Power button. Continue to hold down the Volume down button until a menu appears, then release the Volume down button.
  4. select Recovery mode using the volume buttons
  5. Press and release the power button to select Recovery mode
  6. Select Apply update from ADB, using the volume buttons, then press and release the Power button
  7. Plug the USB cable into your computer
  8. .\adb sideload surface-recovery-image.zip

This will install a fresh factory image. I'm not 100% sure on whether or not it will wipe your data partition, I think it will so make sure you back up your data first.

Rai3

Oct 23, 2017
  1. Unplug the USB cable from your Surface Duo
  2. turn it off
  3. press and hold the Volume down button, then press and release the Power button. Continue to hold down the Volume down button until a menu appears, then release the Volume down button.
  4. select Recovery mode using the volume buttons
  5. Press and release the power button to select Recovery mode
  6. Select Apply update from ADB, using the volume buttons, then press and release the Power button
  7. Plug the USB cable into your computer
  8. .\adb sideload surface-recovery-image.zip

This will install a fresh factory image. I'm not 100% sure on whether or not it will wipe your data partition, I think it will so make sure you back up your data first.
I can't use recovery after applying the wrong boot.img.
When I select recovery from the boot loader, it boots to normal.
Using the latest correct boot.img does not change the situation. (In this case, "no command" screen).

My device is giving me a "Your device is corrupt. It can't be trusted and may not work properly." error on startup.
The data seems to be inconsistent.
For this reason I believe I need to do a fastboot restore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MAGISK FULL GUIDE (APK for install and other mods coming soon!)

The bootloader unlock is pretty similar to any other phone.
    Go to settings>about> click on build number until developer options are enabled. Go back and select system>Developer Options. Make sure to enable OEM unlocking.
    (On PC) "adb reboot bootloader", "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", use volume to select unlock. THIS WILL ERASE ALL CONTENT ON YOUR DEVICE.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO DO THIS FROM SCRATCH, SKIP TO PART 2
    Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage
    Select Surface Duo from the drop down
    Enter your serial number and download the file
    Extract the firmware .zip
    Extract the Payload file
    Moved bootloader to root
    Installed Magisk Manager apk and patched bootloader image
    Attempted to flash which resulted in "cannot write to partition_b"

PART 2:
    download the patched magisk_boot.img from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-7NWj8_jFH8AtpTTpXITOv1eh-wo7xlz/view?usp=sharing
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

PART 3 - All right, lets make it permanent!
    Place magisk_patched.img on your sd root

adb shell
    su
    cd /dev/block/by-name/
    chmod 777 boot_a
    chmod 777 boot_b

DEV=$(ls /dev/block/by-name/boot_b); echo $DEV
    dd of=$DEV if=/sdcard/magisk_patched.img
    DEV=$(ls /dev/block/by-name/boot_a); echo $DEV
    dd of=$DEV if=/sdcard/magisk_patched.img

Reboot and we are good!
    I am working on an app to streamline the process as well as provide additional mods and addons to the device. I hope to have something for you guys by the end of the week.
    I do plan on streaming some of this stuff (twitch.tv/goingh0st), and am working on a section of my discord for the same thing (World of Gh0st)

https://www.patreon.com/GoinGh0st

Thank you for your support and I cant wait to get more stuff to you guys!
    Mini-Guide for Monthly Security Update w/ Root

Through more of my trials and errors i figured out what was meant earlier about mismatching patched boot.imgs, which WILL cause your touch input to stop working. The cleanest way to do this all is like @arcanemagick said. Thanks Again :good:

1. Download the latest image off of Microsoft's site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage

2. Extract the boot.img out of payload.bin: https://nerdschalk.com/how-to-extract-payload-bin-from-ota-update-or-firmware/

3. Follow the flashing guide using the boot.img instead of magisk_patched.img:

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot boot.img

4. Place boot.img in the root of Internal SD; Make it permanent:

adb shell
    su
    dd of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_b if=/sdcard/boot.img
    dd of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a if=/sdcard/boot.img

5. Restart phone and run OTA update

6. Download the latest Magisk Manager. Open and hit the top install button. Select patch a file, and select your boot.img. Patch it, and it should show up in your Downloads folder renamed magisk_patched.img.

7. After it's done, run the rooting process like before this time using
    magisk_patched.img:

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

8. Place magisk_patched.img in the root of Internal SD; Make it permanent:

adb shell
    su
    dd of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_b if=/sdcard/magisk_patched.img
    dd of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a if=/sdcard/magisk_patched.img

9. Restart/ Done
    *Currently running November's update with full root.

this..was..hard. :silly:
    Finally got root working on the latest firmware 1211_85. The trick is to use MagiskManager 8.0.3 and Magisk 20.4. Easiest way I found to do so was using a custom channel that points to the correct Git commit from the developper of Magisk.

Custom Channel: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/L...5f596dc2a351270120b31b665fb561294/stable.json

In case you don't want to go through the hassle, attached is the patched boot image for my Unlocked Duo.

Can you elaborate a bit on this please, if you can?
    20201215_175518.jpg
    This is what I was told about 15 days ago
    Finally got root working on the latest firmware 1211_85. The trick is to use MagiskManager 8.0.3 and Magisk 20.4. Easiest way I found to do so was using a custom channel that points to the correct Git commit from the developper of Magisk.

Custom Channel: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/L...5f596dc2a351270120b31b665fb561294/stable.json

In case you don't want to go through the hassle, attached is the patched boot image for my Unlocked Duo.

Thanks so much for this, was running into the issue and had no idea what was going on.