Unlocking bootloader on P769 Tmobile from 10G

Search This thread

afr33sl4ve

Dec 17, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I'm gonna give this a shot. I was on ICS, then updated to JB OTA.

My wife and I are terribly frustrated that we got suckered into this phone (769).

If unlocking the bootloader works, I'm gonna be very happy. If not, well... It's life may be very limited and I'll send it to LG's headquarters.

Alucai Vivorvel

Oct 8, 2011
Hamilton
Sorry for necroposting, but this was the only thread that I could find regarding this...

My phone, the P769, came with ICS out of the box, but with an OTA to JB. Which means that, hopefully, unlocking the bootloader is as simple as fastboot commands?

Only problem is, I installed the CWM touch recovery for the P760, and now my phone won't boot... whoops!

emepher

Jul 28, 2010
LG V50 ThinQ
I'm sorry for "necroposting" (lol) too, but wow, this phone is so frustrating. Seemed like a great piece of hardware and a fantastic value, but I could not get it unlocked and there is not a ton of development for it, unfortunately. After trying everything (including trying to get my hands on a P760 - bought two, I thought, but was sent a P769 both times and returned them), I gave up. I tried EVERYTHING.

Just sold the P769 on eBay, threw in an extra $20 above what I got for it, and bought a mint LG Optimus G e970 on eBay. Already have a custom KitKat ROM on it. This course of action may sadly be the best for anyone who has a nice P769 and hates the stock bloatware. Unlocking the bootloader on the OG couldn't have been easier, and I even got it carrier unlocked for about $4. I can't believe I gave LG a fourth try after the P769, the G2x P999 (stuck on Gingerbread), and my last dumbphone (forget what it was called - had a ton of shortcomings though), but the OG is definitely worth considering. I always wanted a Nexus 4 but was put off by the lack of a microSD slot, and the e970 OG is basically a Nexus 4 with microSD and LTE out of the box.

Last edited:

Alucai Vivorvel

Oct 8, 2011
Hamilton
I'm sorry for "necroposting" (lol) too, but wow, this phone is so frustrating. Seemed like a great piece of hardware and a fantastic value, but I could not get it unlocked and there is not a ton of development for it, unfortunately. After trying everything (including trying to get my hands on a P760 - bought two, I thought, but was sent a P769 both times and returned them), I gave up. I tried EVERYTHING.

Just sold the P769 on eBay, threw in an extra $20 above what I got for it, and bought a mint LG Optimus G e970 on eBay. Already have a custom KitKat ROM on it. This course of action may sadly be the best for anyone who has a nice P769 and hates the stock bloatware. Unlocking the bootloader on the OG couldn't have been easier, and I even got it carrier unlocked for about $4. I can't believe I gave LG a fourth try after the P769, the G2x P999 (stuck on Gingerbread), and my last dumbphone (forget what it was called - had a ton of shortcomings though), but the OG is definitely worth considering. I always wanted a Nexus 4 but was put off by the lack of a microSD slot, and the e970 OG is basically a Nexus 4 with microSD and LTE out of the box.

Nice, if I hadn't gotten this phone on a tab (why do I keep doing that) I would consider doing that. As it is I'm stuck on stock until someone finally figures this thing out. All I know is, I'm not flashing another European ROM unless I am certain it will work. I'm not dealing with that crap again.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Has anyone tried this recently with success?

Nope, sorry. Once I got my phone back into a working state, I gave up. I'll probably just root it again and that's about it.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

porkandbeans

Feb 21, 2011
Cant find 10g KDZ

I can't find a downloadable 10g KDZ for the Tmobile 769. Can anyone add to dropbox so that I can flash. I am currently on the 20h. Thanks.

pyrophreak

Jan 8, 2014
What about V20H?

I've used xda several times to root other devices, but I've never registered an account before now. I've been trying to unlock the bootloader on my P769, but I've been unable to do so with any tutorial I've found. I'm running the V20H .kdz, so is that a problem? This tutorial is for flashing from 10G, so should I flash 10G before beginning the tutorial?

pyrophreak

Jan 8, 2014
Not booting into fastboot

I'm not sure what's going on. I followed the tutorial exactly (even flashed 10G then to 20B) when I ran 'adb reboot oem-unlock' the phone rebooted, but not into fastboot mode; instead, it booted like normal. Not sure if I've done something wrong or what. I went through the process at least 3 times to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I keep getting the same results. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going wrong? Any help is appreciated.

LaDY Vengeance

Aug 27, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm not sure what's going on. I followed the tutorial exactly (even flashed 10G then to 20B) when I ran 'adb reboot oem-unlock' the phone rebooted, but not into fastboot mode; instead, it booted like normal. Not sure if I've done something wrong or what. I went through the process at least 3 times to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I keep getting the same results. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going wrong? Any help is appreciated.

The thing going wrong here is LG...lol. Joking. It's happening to a lot of us here. I'm leaning to the belief that the 20b kdz isn't getting flashed properly when using the offline method.

Sent from my LG-P769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Alucai Vivorvel

Oct 8, 2011
Hamilton
The thing going wrong here is LG...lol. Joking. It's happening to a lot of us here. I'm leaning to the belief that the 20b kdz isn't getting flashed properly when using the offline method.

Sent from my LG-P769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I really would like to ditch the stock firmware and try out CM on here, maybe get a kernel for better battery life, but I'm not willing to go through days of not having a working phone just to give up in frustration again.

Perhaps someone with a backup phone could take a stab (or a few stabs) at it, see if they can figure it out, and document every step they make along the way? That way we can try to replicate their success, instead of trying to follow various guides that all seem to say the same thing, but have little niggles that you can get hooked on.

wasiq224

Jan 18, 2015
Pleeeeeaaaasse help!!!!!!!

"Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update" when trying to reflash 10g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocking the bootloader on p769 is DIFFICULT, the most difficult part is working with the touch screen which is wonky during this process. I highly suggest that we wait for LG's latest Jelly Bean for p769 instead of doing this, but if you are wanting to experiment like me, then read on.

Please note that every boot will ALWAYS have a mirrored image after doing this procedure.

First and foremost, thanks to Lelus for helping me through the process. Second, you need to be very familiar in flashing KDZ offline with this procedure (thanks cmahendra)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36351786p://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36351786

1. Download this link to get p760 20B Europe open and flash it on p769 using the KDZ offline method.

http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/swdata/WDLSW/LGP760/ANEUWH/V20b_00/V20B_00.kdz

2. After flashing you will notice you have two issues...Mirrored Image and Wonky touch screen. Mirrored image can be easily remedied by using a mirror to read the screen better. The Touch screen issue is the most difficult because after flashing 20B, we need to enable USB debugging in developer options. (thanks cmahendra)

Wonky Touchscreen:

This is how I got through the wonky touchscreen. Imagine putting a line in the middle of the screen crosswise (or like dividing the screen crosswise), you have to top screen and bottom screen. The Imaginary line would be the bottom of the top screen and the BOTTOM of the bottom screen (like the bottom screen's bottom is in the middle of the screen and the top of the bottom screen is in the bottom of the whole screen). It takes some practice but you will get it.

Make sure you face a mirror with your phone to get around the mirror imaged.

3. OK, now you have to go to Settings --> Developer Options ---> and tick USB debugging (You can also tick "Show touches" to make it easier).

4. LET YOUR PHONE STAY ON FOR 30 minutes or more (Very Important or you won't be able to unlock your bootloader). Then connect your device to PC and type "adb devices" and make sure your p769 is seen by the computer. Then type "adb reboot oem-unlock" This will reboot your device and send you to a "mirrored" confirmation screen. Basically just press Volume UP button to confirm unlock... then it will send you to fastboot, you can just press the power button for 10 seconds and reboot.

5. After rebooting, you need to flash 10G kdz back, in my experience, the offline flashing method by booting to SW mode did not work... It hanged up at 15% and said my device is not connected to USB. The only way for me to flash 10G KDZ back was to boot in JB (mirrored) and then instead of Emergency Mode, I used DIAG mode while the device is connected to PC. Only then was I able to flash back to 10G.

6. After flashing 10G KDZ, you won't be able to boot. Turn it off and do a hard reset (Power button + Volume UP + Menu Button).

7. Upon reboot from 10g, you will still have the mirrored image, but if you press the power button and turn it back on, the mirrored image will be fixed. Then comes the wonky touch screen. Beside from having the wonky touch screen you will notice that the whole left and right side is also inverted which makes it very difficult but doable with practice.

8. In 10G, we need to enable USB debugging again, then root the device with this procedure

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2171243

(Remember to use DIAG mode in reflashing 10G for the second time in rooting the device)

9. After rooting the device, we need to fix the touchscreen with this (Post #24)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2182867&page=3

and go to post #24..

That's it :) AGAIN, I highly suggest we wait for JB for our devices instead of this.

If ever you want to overclock your GPU at 384, here is a link to do that..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofuijfgx4e694gl/bootoc.img

Goodluck :)
    Yes recovery works fine and screen orientation is ok but cm10 build won't install for unknown reason.

Btw kernel from cm10.1 wont work, you'll have to you what lg provided

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY GOT CM 10.1 Working on our p769 :) So far, only brightness is not working, but I'll work on it soon. I'll upload the file. Remember, you need to go through the process before installing CM 10.1
    Awsome
    I'd add ,disable your lock screen before flashing jb
    OK, I think I have an idea to get cm 10.1 to work in our p769. I'll let you know how it goes :)
    Update:

I have been trying to build a kernel for the latest CM10, but unfortunately it doesn't boot in our device. I have sent a few PM's asking for the developers for the .config since the cyano defconfig for p760 is not updated to the latest kernel (which could be or could be not the case of not booting), but I have yet to get the .config. When I try to build the kernel with that defconfig, it has some new stuff in the kernel that I have to answer "N" but not sure if I should. I do hope on their next release, they enable .config support in the kernel so we can have /proc/config.gz in the ROM.

I believe the key is in the kernel, basically the panel that our device uses is different from the p760 or p765. If we get this fixed in the kernel side, then I believe we can have CM10.1 in our p769 :) For now, I am unable to do anything till I receive the .config file.