Question Unlocking / Reactivating Qualcomm codecs (Bluetooth Audio)

Search This thread

skodazek

Oct 15, 2008
Calgary
Hey folks,

Device details:
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G (SM-G998W - Canadian Snapdragon 888 variant)
Soundpeats H1 True Wireless Earbuds (Qualcomm QCC3040 audio chipset, BT 5.2)

So I decided to spend a little more than I like and bought an upper mid range set of True Wireless Earbuds. The biggest selling feature of the set was the new QCC3040 chipset that was recently introduced to replace the QCC3020. The big deal about QCC3040 is the introduction of support for aptx adaptive/hd, as well as a few other features to allow the earbuds to pair separately and seamlessly switch pairing from mono to stereo etc.

The earbuds I went with are the Soundpeats H1. Unfortunately, after getting them paired. Updating firmware and installing EQ app etc, I went into developer options to make sure they were using the new codec etc, and alas they were still using standard aptx. The only 3 options available are SBC. AAC. and Aptx. The other 2 options (which are greyed out) are LDAC & SSC (Samsung Scalable Codec, which as I understand it, is likely the reason for this whole issue).

Samsung has deliberately deactivated these codecs which are automatically present in the soc. To make matters worse, most upper mid range earbuds do not support the SSC codec samsung is trying to force onto it's users. So they deactivate a functionality most would likely consider essential (except most are not even aware they are being mislead here because developer options are hidden well enough that 95% of people will never even know that the high end wireless audio tech they purchased is performing no better than a set of throwaways from walmart).

This gets me to my inquiry. Is there any method through software with which to restore these qualcomm codecs? Would appreciate any info the community here can offer.

Thanks!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Which codecs are unavailable?
LDAC and SSC are the best HD codecs this phone offers. So you need a device the supports one of these. There are some excellent Sony and Panasonic Headsets and Buds that use LDAC.

Some have talked here about upscaling the SBC one to get better resolution by altering the stack. Don't know if it's better than LDAC though.

skodazek

Oct 15, 2008
Calgary
The codes of which I speak are the Qualcomm ones.
Aptx (which samsung reluctantly introduced with the Galaxy S10 series)
Aptx HD (the SOC of course supports it, but Samsung disables)
Aptx Adaptive (the SOC of course supports it, but Samsung disables)

As for LDAC and SSC. They require extremely expensive devices like Qualcomm QCC51xx chipset devices. Aptx HD and Aptx Adaptive which are supported by midrange and upper midrange QCC3040 chipsets are the only Lossless/HD audio solutions for under $150.

This is an issue that should not be an issue. Samsung actively disables a tech included in the SOC they use just to promote the in house codec they have (SSC), and fail to make that codec compatible with anything except the most expensive audiophile devices.

skodazek

Oct 15, 2008
Calgary
To put things in perspective. I have a galaxy s21 ultra, which is a 1000 dollar flagship device. I could go out and buy an entry level or mid range phone from Poco, Realme, TCL, etc and using the Soundpeats H1 earbuds I have with QCC3040 chipset. The sound quality, bitrate/bandwidth management etc would be vastly superior after pairing with the Poco phone or the Realme than it would be with a Samsung Galaxy s21.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Well I would've gone with a Note rather than the S21U. In fact I bought my second new N10+ 4 months ago. Nonetheless both models share the same deficiency. Apparently it has to do with licensing fees.

I would like to have it too as I do have quit a few HDCD files who's resolution can be 22 bits if loaded as wav files which preserves the HDCD encryption. A high resolution DAC gleans about 90% of this; no HDCD decoder needed. HDCD is a proprietary Denon technology. So there's that...

The Buds+ sound good if you use PowerAmp's graphic equalizer. Sony or Panasonic LDAC... and that's what you got. Pulling the 3.5mm jack pi$$ed me off proper as using the dongle/C port is cumbersome and bound to damage the jack.
So the Buds+ it is. The are excellent for calls and worth it just for that. They never fall out and have a very long run time.

By all means rag on Samsung Tech support about it. They deserve it. If you get a South Korean tech it's a special treat; they can handle even polite criticism.
I think I broke a few of them.... oops🤣😎🤣

skodazek

Oct 15, 2008
Calgary
I have heard mention before that custom rom developers were able to restore Aptx standard codec to galaxy smartphones before Samsung ultimately relented and released a software update that made it available by default.

Is there any reason why rooting, modding or cooking a custom rom would be unable to do the same with Aptx Adaptive and/or Aptx HD on the s21 series?

Reactions: Jolest

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To put things in perspective. I have a galaxy s21 ultra, which is a 1000 dollar flagship device. I could go out and buy an entry level or mid range phone from Poco, Realme, TCL, etc and using the Soundpeats H1 earbuds I have with QCC3040 chipset. The sound quality, bitrate/bandwidth management etc would be vastly superior after pairing with the Poco phone or the Realme than it would be with a Samsung Galaxy s21.
    I have heard mention before that custom rom developers were able to restore Aptx standard codec to galaxy smartphones before Samsung ultimately relented and released a software update that made it available by default.

Is there any reason why rooting, modding or cooking a custom rom would be unable to do the same with Aptx Adaptive and/or Aptx HD on the s21 series?