Unlocking/rooting an A21?

Search This thread

SpectreCular

Dec 28, 2020
I have a brand new Galaxy A21 (SM-S215DL). In Developer Options, there is NO OEM Unlock toggle (not even a grayed out one; it simply does NOT exist anywhere in settings). I have tried several different variants of the date/time trick to try to get it to appear, and none of them worked. But while in Download Mode, KG Status is shown as `CHECKING`, so doesn't that mean it should at least be visible? Do I even need to unlock my bootloader? Is it even possible?

Using Frija, I managed to get what I believe to be the correct stock firmware for my device. I also grabbed both of the latest official and patched versions of Odin. Flashing the stock firmware works, but flashing the patched Magisk AP fails with an AUTH error for file `vbmeta.img`, which leads me to believe that I actually DO need to unlock my bootloader... but if that's the case, I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so without the OEM toggle.

Is there anything else can I try?

furballi

May 26, 2018
I have a brand new Galaxy A21 (SM-S215DL). In Developer Options, there is NO OEM Unlock toggle (not even a grayed out one; it simply does NOT exist anywhere in settings). I have tried several different variants of the date/time trick to try to get it to appear, and none of them worked. But while in Download Mode, KG Status is shown as `CHECKING`, so doesn't that mean it should at least be visible? Do I even need to unlock my bootloader? Is it even possible?

Using Frija, I managed to get what I believe to be the correct stock firmware for my device. I also grabbed both of the latest official and patched versions of Odin. Flashing the stock firmware works, but flashing the patched Magisk AP fails with an AUTH error for file `vbmeta.img`, which leads me to believe that I actually DO need to unlock my bootloader... but if that's the case, I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so without the OEM toggle.

Is there anything else can I try?
I also have the Samsung A21 from T Mobile (SM-A21UZKATMB). The phone is unlocked by T Mobile but there is no OEM bootloader unlock button under the Developer mode. Changing the date (forward and backward in time), then run the software update did not solve the OEM bootloader unlock button problem. I suspect the carrier (T Mobile) has disabled this function. You will need to unlock the bootloader to install the stock firmware.

To those who have enabled the OEM bootloader in the A21. Is your phone locked to a carrier in the USA like Verizon or T Mobile?

namdrop22

Aug 11, 2015
I also have the SM215DL, using straight talk utilizing verizon service, I also cannot unlock the bootloader. Everything you guys did, I did. Nothing worked.