androidlover5842

Dec 11, 2015
Priština, Kosovo
Step 1 (Unlocking bootloader) :
  • Make sure you have adb and fastboot .
  • get your serial number.
    Code:
    adb shell getprop ro.serialno
  • calculate md5 of the serial number of device ( i used this https://passwordsgenerator.net/md5-hash-generator/).
  • Reboot bootloader.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  • Unlock using key (md5code=md5 of your serial number).
    Code:
    fastboot oem key md5code
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

Step 2 (flashing twrp fixing encryption problem):

XDA:DevDB Information
Unlocking / Rooting Nokia 1 stock rom, Tool/Utility for the Nokia 1

Contributors
androidlover5842

Version Information

Created 2018-08-21
Last Updated 2018-08-21

slim404

Apr 5, 2015
unlock failed

it seems the key did not work. Maybe imei is involved in generating key? (my Nokia 1 is dual sim)

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

it seems the key did not work. Maybe imei is involved in generating key? (my Nokia 1 is dual sim)

SOLVED.

I had to allow OEM unlocking in Developer Settings

slim404

Apr 5, 2015
Hmm all good till this step, but the device stuck doesn't reboot into stock recovery but bootloop TWRP
Obviously i messed up something and i wonder what it is

I got the same problem. I found out the recovery file he linked to was that of a single SIM Nokia 1 (TA-1060) mine is a Dual Sim Nokia 1 (TA-1047)

I downloaded the TA-1047 original firmware (I googled it)

I used it to reflash boot and recovery. Then redid everything using this time the right original recovery.bin from the TA-1047 firmware and it worked

Reactions: ObviousSimple

art403

Nov 6, 2018
Hi! I have soft-bricked Nokia 1 ta-1047(recovery bootloop). How can i unlock bootloader without checkin OEM unlock in dev settings? Thks!

mountainair

Nov 21, 2018
Hi! I had some trouble understanding the instructions. Step 1 worked without a hitch but I ran into some problems in step 2. I'd be really grateful for some help.

Do I copy the text in the link, paste it into a .txt file and then save it to "ftsab.mt6735" in the Minimal And Adb Fastboot folder on my pc?

Do I press cancel when twrp asks me for a password? Or do I need a password? I pressed cancel.

When I go into "mount" in twrp and click on "vendor" do I then go the command window on my pc (from the adb fastboot folder) and type "adb push fstab.mt6735 /vendor/etc/fstab.mt6735"? This is what I did and it might have come with an error I'm not sure.

What is the backup of boot for? I guess it's just a safety measure. For some reason I couldn't do that because it said something about encyption (I think, unless I'm getting mixed up with before) so I had to skip that step and go onto flashing the recovery. The instructions now say "flash stock recovery as boot (you can get stock recovery from here)". Is the stock recovery the "recovery.bin" file and do I put that in the adb and fastboot folder? I did that and typed "fastboot flash recovery recovery.bin" in the command window. Was that right or not?

The instuctions say "restart the system" Is that from the twrp menu? I restarted the phone via twrp but it didn't restart into stock recovery it restarted into the normal operating system. I knew then that I'd done something wrong. I then turned off the phone and tried accessing the stock recovery by pressing the volume up and power on and it started in twrp! Am I getting confused? Please can someone help me! Thank you!

ttocs99

Jan 26, 2011
middlesbrough
Essential Phone
I'm planning to buy this phone but I don't like the software. Can I install Android Kit Kat on it?
No you can't and why would you want KitKat. Kitkat was good 5 versions ago

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Hi! I had some trouble understanding the instructions. Step 1 worked without a hitch but I ran into some problems in step 2. I'd be really grateful for some help.

Do I copy the text in the link, paste it into a .txt file and then save it to "ftsab.mt6735" in the Minimal And Adb Fastboot folder on my pc?

Do I press cancel when twrp asks me for a password? Or do I need a password? I pressed cancel.

When I go into "mount" in twrp and click on "vendor" do I then go the command window on my pc (from the adb fastboot folder) and type "adb push fstab.mt6735 /vendor/etc/fstab.mt6735"? This is what I did and it might have come with an error I'm not sure.

What is the backup of boot for? I guess it's just a safety measure. For some reason I couldn't do that because it said something about encyption (I think, unless I'm getting mixed up with before) so I had to skip that step and go onto flashing the recovery. The instructions now say "flash stock recovery as boot (you can get stock recovery from here)". Is the stock recovery the "recovery.bin" file and do I put that in the adb and fastboot folder? I did that and typed "fastboot flash recovery recovery.bin" in the command window. Was that right or not?

The instuctions say "restart the system" Is that from the twrp menu? I restarted the phone via twrp but it didn't restart into stock recovery it restarted into the normal operating system. I knew then that I'd done something wrong. I then turned off the phone and tried accessing the stock recovery by pressing the volume up and power on and it started in twrp! Am I getting confused? Please can someone help me! Thank you!
If you're phone booted fine into system and you can access twrp then just flash magisk as you've done ok and the phone and twrp are working

madmax786

Nov 25, 2018
How to "flash stock recovery as boot" ?

How to "flash stock recovery as boot" ? I went to fastboot mode and flashed recovery.bin then rebooted to recovery and it showed "no commands". No options were there.

mountainair

Nov 21, 2018
ttocs99 said:
If you're phone booted fine into system and you can access twrp then just flash magisk as you've done ok and the phone and twrp are working

Thanks. But I'm still not sure. I confess I'm a novice. I actually ended up bricking my phone because I went on to do something wrong. I'll get another phone this week to try and root again, hopefully successfully this time. Isn't the step to make a backup of the boot really important because we have to flash that boot near the end? I thought it was necessary. I also wonder whether I should have typed "fastboot boot recovery.img" instead of "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" because the instructions say "flash stock recovery as boot"? Edit: Perhaps I'm wrong again :confused:
How to "flash stock recovery as boot" ? I went to fastboot mode and flashed recovery.bin then rebooted to recovery and it showed "no commands". No options were there.
Did you manage to get a backup of the boot?

Last edited:

Des.Coene

Dec 30, 2017
Aarschot
I can have no access in the udev/ etc.... Can you please explain the following steps how to do it? is it a linux command that needs to be done on a linux running computer or does it works on Windows too?
i was indeed happy that it completed the backup to my external SD Card made with Magisk a patched boot image, but doesn't seem to be rooted after all, what next? it says every time Magisk is not installed do i have to flash it in minimal ADB
Sincerely

Last edited:

ttocs99

Jan 26, 2011
middlesbrough
Essential Phone
I can have no access in the udev/ etc.... Can you please explain the following steps how to do it? is it a linux command that needs to be done on a linux running computer or does it works on Windows too?
i was indeed happy that it completed the backup to my external SD Card made with Magisk a patched boot image, but doesn't seem to be rooted after all, what next? it says every time Magisk is not installed do i have to flash it in minimal ADB
Sincerely
Rooting this for now is a gamble there is only 1 stock ROM to flash and it's for the UK single SIM varient of the Nokia 1 only thing you can have is root and twrp and maybe flash a gsi but most of them are still buggy if you can flash stock and stay that way untill further development.

Reactions: Des.Coene

Des.Coene

Dec 30, 2017
Aarschot
Rooting this for now is a gamble there is only 1 stock ROM to flash and it's for the UK single SIM varient of the Nokia 1 only thing you can have is root and twrp and maybe flash a gsi but most of them are still buggy if you can flash stock and stay that way untill further development.

There seem to be buggy , certainly when 2 different chip sets are used in several Nokia 1 series
the mt6737 as i have & the mt6735 there's what i've been struggling with.
Thanks anyways for the advice

Sincerely

mountainair

Nov 21, 2018
Hi,i got the exact same problem

Hi, try holding the power button for a few seconds and then releasing it and pressing volume up.

For the record, I managed to root my ta 1060 phone. Thanks everyone. I think I had a problem initially because twrp asked for a password due to phone encryption and I ignored it. I managed to bypass that password screen by not rebooting after flashing twrp, instead going straight into twrp and following the instructions.

I've now got a problem getting usb otg to work. I've added the files android.hardware.usb.host.xml, handheld_core_hardware.xml and tablet_core_hardware.xmls. It's showing as enabled in all the app checkers but Usb Otg Helper says E: Mount directory could not be created, E: This app will not work, OTG mass storage not supported?, NTFS write support failed(no fuse). That's not a topic for here though. If anyone can help, can they pm me please :)

Last edited:

xdakanwal

Dec 13, 2018
Nokia 1 root

Have you found password ?

C-cret sarath

Jul 31, 2014
Help please

There seem to be buggy , certainly when 2 different chip sets are used in several Nokia 1 series

Sincerely

Buddy is there anyway I could get stock or custom rom to bootup my bricked MT6737 TA1056 ??

I’m stuck in a blank screen and vibration

MyTH30

Jul 2, 2017
My TA-1066 is basically dead. Unlocked, doesn't boot into recovery, flashing the ROM fixed it last time this happened. Now it doesnt. In a bootloop with the NOKIA logo.
Help would be really appreciated.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

My TA-1066 is basically dead. Unlocked, doesn't boot into recovery, flashing the ROM fixed it last time this happened. Now it doesnt. In a bootloop with the NOKIA logo.
Help would be really appreciated.

Reactions: paulsinha01

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Step 1 (Unlocking bootloader) :
    • Make sure you have adb and fastboot .
    • get your serial number.
      Code:
      adb shell getprop ro.serialno
    • calculate md5 of the serial number of device ( i used this https://passwordsgenerator.net/md5-hash-generator/).
    • Reboot bootloader.
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    • Unlock using key (md5code=md5 of your serial number).
      Code:
      fastboot oem key md5code
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock

Step 2 (flashing twrp fixing encryption problem):

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unlocking / Rooting Nokia 1 stock rom, Tool/Utility for the Nokia 1

Contributors
    androidlover5842

Version Information

Created 2018-08-21
    Last Updated 2018-08-21

Sincerely
    Hmm all good till this step, but the device stuck doesn't reboot into stock recovery but bootloop TWRP
    Obviously i messed up something and i wonder what it is

I got the same problem. I found out the recovery file he linked to was that of a single SIM Nokia 1 (TA-1060) mine is a Dual Sim Nokia 1 (TA-1047)

I downloaded the TA-1047 original firmware (I googled it)

I used it to reflash boot and recovery. Then redid everything using this time the right original recovery.bin from the TA-1047 firmware and it worked
    Sincerely

Sincerely
    I have the mt6735 but shouldn't be long for a custom ROM as root and twrp have been achieved.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone