How To Guide Unlocking the bootloader and rooting

Search This thread

LAST_krypton

DISCLAIMER: I WAS NEVER, HAVE NEVER BEEN, AND WILL NEVER BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DAMAGES AGAINST YOUR DEVICES BY YOUR OWN MIS-OPERATIONS

Code:
# knox_bit_warranty:0x1
#
# Your warranty is now void
#
# You have been warned.
#
# I will laught at you if you point the finger at me.

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER

1. Open settings app
2. Tap on about phone, and then software information
3. Tap the build number until you see a pop up that says developer options enabled
4. Go back and tap on developer options
5. Enable OEM unlocking
6. Reboot your phone
7. After reboot power off the phone
8. Conect the usb cable to your pc and phone, then hold VOL + and VOL - at the same time
9. There should be two options, you want the unlock mode (VOL UP LONG PRESS)
10. After holding VOL UP for 10 seconeds you should get in to the screen that will let you unlock the OEM so now just press VOL UP.
11. Phone will reboot, during setup conect to the internet to avoid perenormal mode
12. Check in developer options if oem unlocking is grayed out, if it isn't factory reset data and wipe chace partiton will have to be done.

ROOTING

1. Download the fimware you are currently running https://samfw.com/
2. Copy the AP file to your phone
3. Install magisk canary version, download app-debug.apk and install https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/canary
4. Open magisk, check for updates
5. Tap install and then tap select and patch a file and find the AP file you transferd from your pc
6. In the download folder of the phone will be a file named magisk_patched-xxxxxxx.tar
7. Transfer it to your pc
8. Boot the phone in to download mode, manualy or from adb shell (adb reboot download)
9. Open odin and go in to options and uncheck auto reboot
10. Click on AP or PDA and select the patched magisk file and click start
11. Reboot the phone manualy after odin does it's thing (VOL - and POWER at the same time for 7 seconeds).
After the phone turns off, amedietly boot in to recovery (Vol + and POWER at the same time)
12. Make a factory data reset and whipe cache partition
13. Reboot in to system
14. Conect to interent during setup
15. Enable dev options by taping on build number 7 time. OEM UNLOCKING must be grayed out.
16. Install the same magisk (app-debug.apk)
17. Ignore the pop up that says magisk needs inital setup and click on update
18. After updateing, go back in to magisk and if you get the pop up for aditional setup, ignore it and go straight to install
19. Click on direct install
20. After flash reboot
21. Check in developer options if oem unlocking is grayed out, if it isn't the instalation process will have to be followed again

THIS IS A OLD METHOD OF INSTALLING TWRP
INSTALLING TWRP, I RECOMEND FOLOWING MY LATEST GUIDE

INSTALLING TWRP OLD METHOD

# If you are not on the A125F or A127F you might have to do a crossflashing fimware operation
1. Make sure you are on android 11 and that you pre rooted your phone already
2. Download twrp from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/aosp-11-unofficial-samsung-sm-a125f-twrp.4317131/
3. Boot in to download mode
3. Go in to odin and uncheck auto reboot
4. Click on AP or PDA and select the twrp file you have downloaded, click start
5. Manualy reboot (VOL - and POWER for 7 seconeds)
6. Boot in to twrp before booting in to system (VOL + and power) or this process will have to be repeated
7. Swipe allow modifications of system and reboot

Links

Credits
@edward0181 twrp

Last edited:

edward0181

Jul 28, 2013
Spijkenisse
Samsung Galaxy A12
Code:
# I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device
# If you point the finger at me, I will laught at you

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER
Code:
1. Open settings app
3. Tap the build number until you see a pop up that says developer options enabled
5. Enable OEM unlocking
6. Reboot your phone
8. Conect the usb cable to your pc and phone, then hold VOL + and VOL - at the same time
10. VOL UP for bootloader unlock
11. Phone will reboot, during setup conect to the internet to avoid perenormal mode
ROOTING
Code:
3. Install magisk canary version, download app-debug.apk and install https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/canary
5. Tap install and then tap select and patch a file and find the AP file you transferd from your pc
6. In the download folder of the phone will be a file named magisk_patched-xxxxxxx.tar
8. Boot the phone in to download mode, manualy or from adb shell (adb reboot download)
11. Reboot the phone manualy after odin does it's thing (VOL - and POWER at the same time for 7 seconeds)
12. After the phone turns of, amedietly boot in to recovery (Vol + and POWER at the same time)
13. Make a factory data reset and whipe cache partition
14. Reboot in to system
15. Conect to interent during setup
18. After updateing go back in to magisk and if you get the pop up for aditional setup, ignore it and go straight to install
19. After setup reboot
INSTALLING TWRP
Code:
If you are not on the A125F model you will have to disable MTK Secure Boot and Secure Download and might also downgrade SW REV and then install A125F fimware
2. Download twrp from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/aosp-11-unofficial-samsung-sm-a125f-twrp.4317131/
6. Boot in to twrp before booting in to system (VOL + and power) or this process will have to be repeated

Links

Credits
@edward0181 twrp

Thanks for the wide guide. TWRP build has been updated in my post as well.
All works as it should.

May I ask you to post a guide on howto install Lineage GSI with twrp?

Cheers

Reactions: LAST_krypton

LAST_krypton

Is it possible to make A125U into A125F? That would be the only way for me i believe. It worked on my A115U when i flashed A115U1 onto it but i cant seem to find it for the A12.
It is possible, and it is the only way for you to do what?. To flash A125F fimware on A125U you have to go through a really complicated method to succeeded, you would have to dismantle the phone and force boot it in to the preloader and disable MEDIATEK's and samsung's own security locks to trick the rollback prevantion (RP) and downgrade SW REV so you can flash A125F fimware. And forgot to mention, you have to go trought some litle pain with SBL aswel.

Thats the way I think it should be done, I don't know other methods. This guide is for every model if you are not following the i gues
The issue is i have is with oem unlock missing from developer options. Ive tried the methods above. Plus, as we all know, no oem unlock, no root. Im looking to see if there are working alternatives.

wiiddakidd

Dec 12, 2015
Thats the way I think it should be done, I don't know other methods. This guide is for every model if you are not following the installing twrp part.
Except this doesnt work for every model as the A125U Model is different. Is there any way you can elaborate on how to "force boot it in to the preloader and disable MEDIATEK's and samsung's own security locks to trick the rollback prevantion (RP) and downgrade SW REV so you can flash A125F fimware." Maybe a separate guide can be made? Because i can get it in download mode but flashing AP using odin fails and i have no idea how to disable mtk secure boot which shows enabled and my sw rev says : B1 NS1 K1 S1

wiiddakidd

Dec 12, 2015
Could you be a little clearer on how to perform these steps?

do i download the same firmware my phone is running?

do i copy the ap file to my phone using odin?

do i download this to my pc or phone?

LAST_krypton

Could you be a little clearer on how to perform these steps?

do i download the same firmware my phone is running?

do i copy the ap file to my phone using odin?

do i download this to my pc or phone?

You donwload the same fimware your phone is running and copy the AP.tar.md5 fimware file to your phone. Install cannary version of magisk and patch the AP.tar.md5. Transfer magisk_patched-xxxxxxx.tar back to your pc and in odin flash it in AP slot.

LAST_krypton

Except this doesnt work for every model as the A125U Model is different. Is there any way you can elaborate on how to "force boot it in to the preloader and disable MEDIATEK's and samsung's own security locks to trick the rollback prevantion (RP) and downgrade SW REV so you can flash A125F fimware." Maybe a separate guide can be made? Because i can get it in download mode but flashing AP using odin fails and i have no idea how to disable mtk secure boot which shows enabled and my sw rev says : B1 NS1 K1 S1
A guide for that, maybe some other day. It would require phone disasembely to force PRELOADER. And what error do you when flashing AP file?

drcroc

Oct 13, 2021
Hello, long time forum lurker here but never posted anything before. I recently have been having a headache from several different AT&T phones all being restricted to the point where I can't do anything with them. I have an SM-A125U from att that doesn't have an OEM unlock option.

Through my Ubuntu computer I can run some basic adb and fastboot commands but nothing that actually helps me. Still though the fact that I can make the phone go to recovery and fastboot make me wonder if there is really nothing I can do about this. Frija also won't let me get a firmware file for my device.

Not totally sure how it works but somebody said AT&T encrypts the software so you can't access specific functions. I am just wondering is there anything I can do through adb or fastboot to fix this issue in any way, or if my only real option is to just buy a new unlocked phone or something?

LAST_krypton

I explained it here, if it still doesn't work then comment again here.

Reactions: drcroc

drcroc

Oct 13, 2021
Thanks I am definitely a few steps closer now. I got the Android 10 installed, and got the OEM unlock option finally. Turning that on and powering off my phone afterward, I started it up with the Vol + - and then the power button. After pressing up it booted into a somewhat different looking download mode where it shows the warranty status and stuff. Just to make sure I'm not doing anything out of order here, what file is it looking for now to unlock the bootloader? The OEM unlock option is still there and activated right now after following the bootloader guide in this post.

so it seems like it's doing something weird I think.

This is the information it gives me on this download screen:
  • ODIN MODE (HIGH SPEED)
  • PRODUCT NAME: SM-A125U
  • CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
  • FRP LOCK: OFF
  • KG STATUS: CHECKING
  • MTK SECURE BOOT: ENABLE(0)
  • WARRANTY VOID: 0X0(0X0)
  • RP SWREV: B2 NS2 K2 S2
  • SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
  • CASS: 0X1
  • DID : 0E7724BBE578
  • CARRIER_ID: ATT

Last edited:

LAST_krypton

Thanks I am definitely a few steps closer now. I got the Android 10 installed, and got the OEM unlock option finally. Turning that on and powering off my phone afterward, I started it up with the Vol + - and then the power button. After pressing up it booted into a somewhat different looking download mode where it shows the warranty status and stuff. Just to make sure I'm not doing anything out of order here, what file is it looking for now to unlock the bootloader? The OEM unlock option is still there and activated right now after following the bootloader guide in this post.

so it seems like it's doing something weird I think.

This is the information it gives me on this download screen:
  • ODIN MODE (HIGH SPEED)
  • PRODUCT NAME: SM-A125U
  • CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
  • FRP LOCK: OFF
  • KG STATUS: CHECKING
  • MTK SECURE BOOT: ENABLE(0)
  • WARRANTY VOID: 0X0(0X0)
  • RP SWREV: B2 NS2 K2 S2
  • SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
  • CASS: 0X1
  • DID : 0E7724BBE578
  • CARRIER_ID: ATT
You have to get in to the menue of dowload mode where you can chose where to go. Vol + longpress will send you to the screen for unlocking PBL and Vol + normal will send you to odin protocol mode.

drcroc

Oct 13, 2021
You have to get in to the menue of dowload mode where you can chose where to go. Vol + longpress will send you to the screen for unlocking PBL and Vol + normal will send you to odin protocol mode.
I don't know if I'm just missing something but I can't figure that out so far. This phone isn't reacting to the buttons like the guides suggested. I have the phone powered off to get it to do any of this first, but power and vol + goes to the stock recovery screen. Power and vol + and vol - makes it go to a warning screen about installing a custom OS and asks if I want to continue or not. Long pressing vol+ doesn't do anything from that screen, and only opens odin mode. plugging in the phone to my computer and only holding vol+ and vol- didn't do anything at all, and also just long pressing vol+ didn't work either Is the phone supposed to be powered off already when I long press vol+, or on a different screen from the blue yes or no screen you see before odin mode?

LAST_krypton

I don't know if I'm just missing something but I can't figure that out so far. This phone isn't reacting to the buttons like the guides suggested. I have the phone powered off to get it to do any of this first, but power and vol + goes to the stock recovery screen. Power and vol + and vol - makes it go to a warning screen about installing a custom OS and asks if I want to continue or not. Long pressing vol+ doesn't do anything from that screen, and only opens odin mode. plugging in the phone to my computer and only holding vol+ and vol- didn't do anything at all, and also just long pressing vol+ didn't work either Is the phone supposed to be powered off already when I long press vol+, or on a different screen from the blue yes or no screen you see before odin mode?
Make sure OEM unlocking and usb debuging have applayed. Boot in to system, reset developer options and then enable them back. After that enable OEM unlocking and usb debuging and restart. After reseting and booting back in to SYSTEM power off the phone and hold VOL + and VOL - at the same time. UNLOCKING MENUE should now be shown and you will be able to get in to it by VOL + longpress.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DISCLAIMER: I WAS NEVER, HAVE NEVER BEEN, AND WILL NEVER BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DAMAGES AGAINST YOUR DEVICES BY YOUR OWN MIS-OPERATIONS

Code:
    # knox_bit_warranty:0x1
    #
    #
    # You have been warned.
    #
    # I will laught at you if you point the finger at me.

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER

1. Open settings app
    5. Enable OEM unlocking
    6. Reboot your phone
    10. After holding VOL UP for 10 seconeds you should get in to the screen that will let you unlock the OEM so now just press VOL UP.
    12. Check in developer options if oem unlocking is grayed out, if it isn't factory reset data and wipe chace partiton will have to be done.

ROOTING

11. Reboot the phone manualy after odin does it's thing (VOL - and POWER at the same time for 7 seconeds).
    After the phone turns off, amedietly boot in to recovery (Vol + and POWER at the same time)
    12. Make a factory data reset and whipe cache partition
    13. Reboot in to system
    14. Conect to interent during setup
    15. Enable dev options by taping on build number 7 time. OEM UNLOCKING must be grayed out.
    18. After updateing, go back in to magisk and if you get the pop up for aditional setup, ignore it and go straight to install
    20. After flash reboot
    21. Check in developer options if oem unlocking is grayed out, if it isn't the instalation process will have to be followed again

THIS IS A OLD METHOD OF INSTALLING TWRP
    INSTALLING TWRP, I RECOMEND FOLOWING MY LATEST GUIDE

INSTALLING TWRP OLD METHOD

# If you are not on the A125F or A127F you might have to do a crossflashing fimware operation

Links

Credits
    @edward0181 twrp
    Code:
    Your warranty is now void
    Code:

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER
    Code:
    1. Open settings app
    5. Enable OEM unlocking
    6. Reboot your phone
    10. VOL UP for bootloader unlock
    ROOTING
    Code:
    11. Reboot the phone manualy after odin does it's thing (VOL - and POWER at the same time for 7 seconeds)
    12. After the phone turns of, amedietly boot in to recovery (Vol + and POWER at the same time)
    13. Make a factory data reset and whipe cache partition
    14. Reboot in to system
    15. Conect to interent during setup
    18. After updateing go back in to magisk and if you get the pop up for aditional setup, ignore it and go straight to install
    19. After setup reboot
    INSTALLING TWRP
    Code:
    If you are not on the A125F model you will have to disable MTK Secure Boot and Secure Download and might also downgrade SW REV and then install A125F fimware

Links

Credits
    @edward0181 twrp

All works as it should.

Cheers
    All works as it should.

Cheers
    Ok sure, I will do it when I get time.
    Cheers
    I explained it here, if it still doesn't work then comment again here.