Unlocking the Bootloader on a Google Pixel 2

Search This thread

psu90

Feb 15, 2013
Fredericksburg
WARNING: This should not be done lightly. This could brick your phone if not done properly. I take no responsibility for anyone's actions or phones. I'm just relaying my findings and the process I used to unlock my Google Store bought Pixel 2. This process will not work with a Verizon bought Pixel 2. (see note at end)

WARNING: This process will erase all content on your Pixel 2. Essentially do a factory reset.

1. Backup your Pixel 2 first. Before doing anything just make sure you have up to date backup for your device data as well your files such as images, pictures, videos or documents.

2. Have already installed ADB and Fastboot Setup on your PC.

3. Make sure your device is charged.

4. Enabled USB debug and OEM Unlock option from the device settings under the "Developer Mode" menu.
You will have to enable Developer Mode. Do this by tapping the Build Number under "System", "About Phone" 7 times.

You can now unlock you Google Pixel 2 Bootloader.

1. Connect your Pixel 2 phone to your PC and wait for drivers to be installed.
2. Now go to ADB and Fastboot Folder then do Shift + Right Click to select Open Command Prompt Here.
3. Boot your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL to bootloader mode using this: adb reboot bootloader
4. Now to unlock your phone enter this command in terminal: fastboot flashing unlock
5. On your phone allow the device to be unlocked by selecting Yes using power keys and power button to confirm.
6. Your phone will not reboot with a warning that your bootloader is unlocked and can't be verified (this is normal). Your device with erase all content and reboot a second time.
7. Your phone will now be at the same state it was as a new phone to set up.

I have not seen of a method to root the Pixel 2 yet. If the procedure is similar to the Pixel this should put you into a position to root your phone without having to erase all your data to unlock your bootloader first.

NOTE ON VERIZON BOUGHT PIXELS:
I don't know if this process will work with the Pixel 2 or not. This is how I unlocked the bootloader on my Verizon bought Pixel. I bought mine very early on. It was right after they patched the work around we had to unlock the Verizon bootloaders. I did not let Verizon turn on the phone when I purchased it. I removed the micro-sim when I got it home before turning the phone on. I then went through the above process to unlock my bootloader. With the Pixel the blocking of the "OEM Unlock" seemed to happen after it connected to the Verizon network. With the Pixel 2 it won't let you "OEM Unlock" the phone unless you are connected to to the internet at a minimum. So this may not work for the Pixel 2.

Last edited:

psu90

Feb 15, 2013
Fredericksburg
Agreed. I just posted this for those wondering if there were differences in the process between the Pixel and Pixel 2. At least Google kept it the same. Now we just need a TWRP for the Pixel 2 to finish the root.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bjgood

May 5, 2012
Unlocking will break safetynet right?

Can I expect that to be resolved after someone develops a method to root?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Agreed. I just posted this for those wondering if there were differences in the process between the Pixel and Pixel 2. At least Google kept it the same. Now we just need a TWRP for the Pixel 2 to finish the root.

I think at this point the best thing to do is flip the switch to allow bl unlock and leave it at that. I mean if you are going to root in the future. Until they release sources unlocking will break AP and security check apps. If you don't care about that then unlock the bl now since it will wipe the device in the process. That's the beauty of having a Verizon model. You can't do that so the pressure is off. ;)

morgenman42

Jun 7, 2016
I would be interested to see if you put a non verizon sim in first, whether it would lock the oem unlock option

neuron617

Jun 10, 2016
Bay Area
Pixel2 bought from Google store; I had booted up with my VZW Sim card before reading this thread, but OEM unlock was not greyed out ;). Unlocked B/L with no issues.

Thanks for confidence to move ahead. Looking forward to root w/o a reset.

Reactions: jco23

b00ster23

Feb 19, 2016
Moto E
Google Pixel
Pixel2 bought from Google store; I had booted up with my VZW Sim card before reading this thread, but OEM unlock was not greyed out ;). Unlocked B/L with no issues.

Thanks for confidence to move ahead. Looking forward to root w/o a reset.

Can you specify which Pixel2 you bought? Was it specifically for VZW, or did you buy the GOOGLE version and drop your VZW SIM into it at home?

Reactions: morgenman42

psu90

Feb 15, 2013
Fredericksburg
No there are actually two different models sold at the google store. one has a verizon sim and one doesn't.
I bought the Google (non-Verizon) version from the Google store. I didn't want to take any chances even though Google says all phones purchased from them can have their bootloader unlocked. That was the way it was with the Pixel. I just popped my nano-sim from my old Pixel in my new Google version Pixel 2 and everything worked fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: This should not be done lightly. This could brick your phone if not done properly. I take no responsibility for anyone's actions or phones. I'm just relaying my findings and the process I used to unlock my Google Store bought Pixel 2. This process will not work with a Verizon bought Pixel 2. (see note at end)

WARNING: This process will erase all content on your Pixel 2. Essentially do a factory reset.

1. Backup your Pixel 2 first. Before doing anything just make sure you have up to date backup for your device data as well your files such as images, pictures, videos or documents.

2. Have already installed ADB and Fastboot Setup on your PC.

3. Make sure your device is charged.

4. Enabled USB debug and OEM Unlock option from the device settings under the "Developer Mode" menu.
    You will have to enable Developer Mode. Do this by tapping the Build Number under "System", "About Phone" 7 times.

You can now unlock you Google Pixel 2 Bootloader.

1. Connect your Pixel 2 phone to your PC and wait for drivers to be installed.
    2. Now go to ADB and Fastboot Folder then do Shift + Right Click to select Open Command Prompt Here.
    3. Boot your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL to bootloader mode using this: adb reboot bootloader
    4. Now to unlock your phone enter this command in terminal: fastboot flashing unlock
    5. On your phone allow the device to be unlocked by selecting Yes using power keys and power button to confirm.
    6. Your phone will not reboot with a warning that your bootloader is unlocked and can't be verified (this is normal). Your device with erase all content and reboot a second time.
    7. Your phone will now be at the same state it was as a new phone to set up.

I have not seen of a method to root the Pixel 2 yet. If the procedure is similar to the Pixel this should put you into a position to root your phone without having to erase all your data to unlock your bootloader first.

NOTE ON VERIZON BOUGHT PIXELS:
    I don't know if this process will work with the Pixel 2 or not. This is how I unlocked the bootloader on my Verizon bought Pixel. I bought mine very early on. It was right after they patched the work around we had to unlock the Verizon bootloaders. I did not let Verizon turn on the phone when I purchased it. I removed the micro-sim when I got it home before turning the phone on. I then went through the above process to unlock my bootloader. With the Pixel the blocking of the "OEM Unlock" seemed to happen after it connected to the Verizon network. With the Pixel 2 it won't let you "OEM Unlock" the phone unless you are connected to to the internet at a minimum. So this may not work for the Pixel 2.
    Google just replied to the bug report that they fixed it, but it requires you to reset your phone.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/68897739

Marked as Fixed

Please factory reset your device and make sure it connected to the internet during setup as this issue has been resolved.*

Factory Reset:*
    Settings -> System -> Reset Options -> Erase all data (factory reset).

What you actually said is exactly what I quoted before. It's amusing that you're amending that statement to be even more restrictive than what you initially said, meaning even fewer people should attempt to unlock their phones according to you.
    That is entirely correct.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    Unlikely they meant bootloader unlock
    Just band/sim unlocked

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

So it could be used on other carriers
    It was same on og pixel's, after six months when they removed SIM locks People were able to unlock bootloader
    Unlocking will break safetynet right?

Can I expect that to be resolved after someone develops a method to root?

That is correct. For the Pixel they had a kernel that would disable the safetynet check and return a pass whenever an app would check. We'll have to wait and see what happens for the Pixel 2.