Unlocking the Nexus 7 (2013) Bootloader

Search This thread

gksmithlcw

Nov 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
www.gksmithlcw.com
This is the same as any other Nexus device.

WARNING. As is normally the case, this WILL factory reset your device.

1. Install the Android SDK (and Google USB driver).
  2. Enable USB debugging on the Nexus 7.
    • Unlock Developer Options by going to Settings > About Tablet and clicking on the build number seven times.
    • Go to Settings > Developer Options and check USB debugging. Click OK on the warning.
  3. Connect the Nexus 7 via USB and reboot the Nexus 7 into the bootloader.
    Note: Users have reported failures and "Access is Denied" errors when connected via USB 3.0 ports so use USB 1.1 or 2.0 to be on the safe side.
    • Open a command line / terminal and navigate to your SDK platform-tools directory.
    • Enter
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      and hit enter.
  4. Once the Nexus 7 boots to the bootloader, unlock it
    • At the command line / terminal enter
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      and press enter.
    • On the Nexus 7, use the volume up button to select 'Yes' on the 'Unlock bootloader?' screen.
    • Press the power button to save your choice and verify on the next screen that you see 'LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED' at the bottom.
    • Use your volume keys to select 'Start' and click the power button to factory reset and reboot.
  5. Enjoy your unlocked bootloader!

Last edited:
T

tesztelem

Do you have the usb drivers installed? That happened to me ("old" n7) when I didn't have the usb drivers installed.

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
may need to update your drivers for it to be able to see the device.

when you try adb devices while it is on does it kick back the device id number?

i haven't tried yet as i knew the drivers out currently would be an issue.

mrancier

Jun 27, 2010
Any ideas? I tried I tried the ol' fastboot oem unlock command and it just sits there with the < waiting for device > message.

Perhaps it needs new adb/fastboot drivers ? I'm still charging mine, so I haven't tried. Sorry. Maybe the new driver comes with the 4.3 SDK ?

ATGAdmin

Feb 25, 2012
Western NY State
www.nyspctech.com
Any ideas? I tried I tried the ol' fastboot oem unlock command and it just sits there with the < waiting for device > message.

First off (don't mean to be a d!ck) but this thread belongs in "General", or "Q&A", because you haven't posted a development thread.
Second, unlocking the boot loader is just as easy as the first Gen Nex7. I had mine unlocked within 5 minutes of getting it home.
As others have said, make sure your drivers are installed, or ADB won't even recognize the device. ;)

Reactions: salamt

gksmithlcw

Nov 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
www.gksmithlcw.com
First off (don't mean to be a d!ck) but this thread belongs in "General", or "Q&A", because you haven't posted a development thread.
Second, unlocking the boot loader is just as easy as the first Gen Nex7. I had mine unlocked within 5 minutes of getting it home.
As others have said, make sure your drivers are installed, or ADB won't even recognize the device. ;)

1. You may be right (as far as my posts go) but how am I to ever make a dev post if I'm not allowed to make a first post in a dev forum?
2. This /is/ a dev-related post.
3. My feelings wouldn't be hurt if the mods felt the need to move the post.

Deathman20

Sep 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Worked great thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

no idea why my device won't be read by adb. but i manually rebooted to bootloader and fastboot oem unlock took care of that. time to wait for root/recovery :)

Make sure you update your files from the SDK Manager. It had updated USB driver which from there it would install the proper drive and then it worked form me.

jumperalex

Sep 6, 2010
The trick, as stated in the Nexus Toolkit after driver install, is that you need to change the tablets usb settings from MTP to PTP. Tablet was immediately seen using "old" nexus toolkit universal usb drivers (old = i did not download the new SDK). I choose toro 4.2.2 (because it doesn't matter for unlocking) and then told it to unlock. worked like a charm.

Now the question is ... how long does it take to reboot cause mine is taking forever!!!

OK it booted. So yeah the Nexus 7 Toolkit ver 5.0 worked just fine to at least unlock. I did not root (4.3 still too buggy) or install a custom recovery yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmileti

treoo0_1

Jul 10, 2007
Stock recovery, pretty please?

My dumbass flashed TWRP for Grouper. Wouldn't boot, so I tried erasing the recovery in hopes it would self-restore. No dice. Can't seem to find recovery-from-boot.p either. No boot and still no custom recovery for this puppy. :crying:

Would someone be the kindest person on earth and pull & post the stock recovery...or tell me how to find and flash a back-up copy already stored on my nexus? Google hasn't even posted the img files yet. My new toy is borked and Daddy wants to play tonight!

Thank you!

jc monkeyballs

Nov 24, 2008
My dumbass flashed TWRP for Grouper. Wouldn't boot, so I tried erasing the recovery in hopes it would self-restore. No dice. Can't seem to find recovery-from-boot.p either. No boot and still no custom recovery for this puppy. :crying:

Would someone be the kindest person on earth and pull & post the stock recovery...or tell me how to find and flash a back-up copy already stored on my nexus? Google hasn't even posted the img files yet. My new toy is borked and Daddy wants to play tonight!

Thank you!

I'd be happy to, but am having a hard time finding the correct ADB command.

Reactions: buffaloquinn

treoo0_1

Jul 10, 2007
adb pull

I'd be happy to, but am having a hard time finding the correct ADB command.

Can you use
Code:
adb pull %PATH TO BE PULLED FROM% %PATH TO PLACE PULLED FILE%

Example:
Code:
adb pull /system/recovery.img C:\Android\Local

Thanks for offering to help!

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

isnt the new N7 files called Razor instead of grouper ? or is that just what the device was called prior to launch

Yep. Razor.

Branch = Razor
codename = Asus flo
Wifi Model: ME371K

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the same as any other Nexus device.

WARNING. As is normally the case, this WILL factory reset your device.

1. Install the Android SDK (and Google USB driver).
    2. Enable USB debugging on the Nexus 7.
      • Unlock Developer Options by going to Settings > About Tablet and clicking on the build number seven times.
      • Go to Settings > Developer Options and check USB debugging. Click OK on the warning.
    3. Connect the Nexus 7 via USB and reboot the Nexus 7 into the bootloader.
      Note: Users have reported failures and "Access is Denied" errors when connected via USB 3.0 ports so use USB 1.1 or 2.0 to be on the safe side.
      • Open a command line / terminal and navigate to your SDK platform-tools directory.
      • Enter
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        and hit enter.
    4. Once the Nexus 7 boots to the bootloader, unlock it
      • At the command line / terminal enter
        Code:
        fastboot oem unlock
        and press enter.
      • On the Nexus 7, use the volume up button to select 'Yes' on the 'Unlock bootloader?' screen.
      • Press the power button to save your choice and verify on the next screen that you see 'LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED' at the bottom.
      • Use your volume keys to select 'Start' and click the power button to factory reset and reboot.
    5. Enjoy your unlocked bootloader!
    Stock Recovery

pulled it from /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Thank you!
    I did the hard reboot it still showed the bootloader as being locked. I tried to unlock again and the exact same thing happened.

FAILED (unknown status code)
    finished. total time 1.015s

When I get to the screen that says "Unlock Bootloader?", I can choose "no" and it will go back to main bootloader screen. Selecting "yes" causes the tablet to just hang.

Maybe I messed something up... any suggestions?

Thanks
    This is going to sound dumb, but are you using a USB3.0 port or 2.0? I had this error with a 3.0 port. Changing to a 2.0 one, fixed it.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone