Unlocking the Nexus 7 (2013) Bootloader

Search This thread

RCDuke

Jun 19, 2011
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 2 XL
If anyone is having an issue where adb recognizes the device but lists it as 'offline' try using the original USB cable that comes with the N7. I was originally trying to do all this with a spare USB cord I had lying around, and as soon as I plugged in the N7 with the original cord, I got a pop-up regarding "rsa fingerprint of the connecting device". I clicked ok, and adb then showed the device as online.

Unlocking not working for me

So I seem to be having trouble here. I have tried unlocking on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 to no avail. Apologies in advance for my apparent noobness.

I have the entire Android SDK (including revision 18) installed on both OS's. ADB works fine, but when I try to run a fastboot command, nothing happens. Does the process take several minutes? I've waited two or three, but assumed it wouldn't take that long to prompt for unlock.

Also I have noticed that I don't have a recovery. adb reboot recovery shows a dead android with a red exclamation point and says "No command." I did try to install TWRP before unlocking bootloader (I know, it was stupid, but this is my first device with a locked bootloader). This makes me wonder:

A) Could trying to install TWRP have borked my recovery even if the bootloader was still locked?

B) Do you need a recovery to unlock the bootloader? Or

C) Does anyone know how I can either restore the recovery (if the answer to B is yes) or am I just completely screwed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE
Nevermind, I didn't have the bootloader drivers. FML. Apologies for wasting anyone's time.

Last edited:

casonswag

Aug 31, 2011
Jacksonville
Why does my device say offline on adb ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

If anyone is having an issue where adb recognizes the device but lists it as 'offline' try using the original USB cable that comes with the N7. I was originally trying to do all this with a spare USB cord I had lying around, and as soon as I plugged in the N7 with the original cord, I got a pop-up regarding "rsa fingerprint of the connecting device". I clicked ok, and adb then showed the device as online.

Im having the same offline prob i tried switching cords but still says offline pls help?
EDIT Got everything to work i think i needed to reboot my laptop but im officially unlocked and rooted

Last edited:

gksmithlcw

Nov 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
www.gksmithlcw.com
Why does my device say offline on adb ?

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Im having the same offline prob i tried switching cords but still says offline pls help?
EDIT Got everything to work i think i needed to reboot my laptop but im officially unlocked and rooted

Ha! First step to troubleshooting: reboot! :)

wad3g

Apr 8, 2010
Birmingham, AL
wad3g.com
I'm also having this offline issue. ADB is recognizing the device, but stating it's offline.

I'm familiar with ADB and have been using and rooting Android and Nexus devices for years. I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.4. I just used ADB on my 1st generation Nexus 7 on this machine last week to flash the stock image and prepare it for resale. I've rebooted both devices (Nexus 7 & MBP), tried using the other USB port, and tried multiple USB cables.

I'm not an Android developer so I don't need to install the full SDK (that I'm aware of). I've been using the ADB Tool .zip you can download for OS X and it's worked perfectly for my Galaxy Nexus and 1st gen Nexus 7. Maybe I need an updated .zip of the new Android SDK/ADB Tool or there's another issue causing this.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: When I mentioned not needing the full Android SDK I didn't mean that as I don't need it as a developer. Who knows what all, other than the root issues with 4.3, has changed so I may need the full SDK now.

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
I'm also having this offline issue. ADB is recognizing the device, but stating it's offline.

I'm familiar with ADB and have been using and rooting Android and Nexus devices for years. I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.4. I just used ADB on my 1st generation Nexus 7 on this machine last week to flash the stock image and prepare it for resale. I've rebooted both devices (Nexus 7 & MBP), tried using the other USB port, and tried multiple USB cables.

I'm not an Android developer so I don't need to install the full SDK (that I'm aware of). I've been using the ADB Tool .zip you can download for OS X and it's worked perfectly for my Galaxy Nexus and 1st gen Nexus 7. Maybe I need an updated .zip of the new Android SDK/ADB Tool or there's another issue causing this.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: When I mentioned not needing the full Android SDK I didn't mean that as I don't need it as a developer. Who knows what all, other than the root issues with 4.3, has changed so I may need the full SDK now.

Did you allow your nexus to accept the pc adb connection?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

BrianDigital

I had to update the SDK manager that comes with in the full SDK. Actually to be exact I had to make sure I had api level 18 checked to allow the update to the Google driver to happen.

I did uninstall my previous driver through a device manager while the tablet was plugged in. Not sure how you go about that on osx, but try the full SDK.

wad3g

Apr 8, 2010
Birmingham, AL
wad3g.com
I had to update the SDK manager that comes with in the full SDK. Actually to be exact I had to make sure I had api level 18 checked to allow the update to the Google driver to happen.

I did uninstall my previous driver through a device manager while the tablet was plugged in. Not sure how you go about that on osx, but try the full SDK.

Yea, I'm thinking I may have to wait. I've downloaded the SDK several times and each time there's no reference to 4.3, still 4.2.2.

BrianDigital

Yea, I'm thinking I may have to wait. I've downloaded the SDK several times and each time there's no reference to 4.3, still 4.2.2.

well just trying to clarify, agian I have no idea how this looks on OSX but within the SDK i went into that .exe and had to update everything and then check off 4.3

edit wow ms paint aint was she used to be

must be xda heres a better look http://i.imgur.com/k8IUaRe.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 132

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008

Since Android 4.2.2 they added a security feature to the adb connection. Your PC does some RSA authentication with the device. You are presented with a hash on the phone in a prompt to accept. Once you accept, the adb connection is allowed.

If your adb client is not new enough to support this authentication, it will say your device is offline.

On windows, you needed to update platform-tools to 16.0.1 or newer (current is 16.0.2). You don't need to full SDK, just the updated platform-tools. I don't know the specifics of what you need to do on Mac.

This has been confusing for some folks who have had adb set up for a long time, but with older devices, and/or prior to 4.2.2. They have setups that have been working for a long time, so they expect it to work with the nexus 7 2013 as well, but this ends up being their first introduction into the security feature added in Android 4.2.2 (we have Android 4.3)

wad3g

Apr 8, 2010
Birmingham, AL
wad3g.com
Since Android 4.2.2 they added a security feature to the adb connection. Your PC does some RSA authentication with the device. You are presented with a hash on the phone in a prompt to accept. Once you accept, the adb connection is allowed.

If your adb client is not new enough to support this authentication, it will say your device is offline.

On windows, you needed to update platform-tools to 16.0.1 or newer (current is 16.0.2). You don't need to full SDK, just the updated platform-tools. I don't know the specifics of what you need to do on Mac.

This has been confusing for some folks who have had adb set up for a long time, but with older devices, and/or prior to 4.2.2. They have setups that have been working for a long time, so they expect it to work with the nexus 7 2013 as well, but this ends up being their first introduction into the security feature added in Android 4.2.2 (we have Android 4.3)

Also, be sure to reboot your PC after installing the SDK and updating if you're still experiencing the issue. A member mentioned previously that this solved the problem for him / her.

Yes, I understand I need the updated 4,3 SDK for OS X, which is something I can't seem to find. As for the RSA authentication I've used ADB with this feature implemented various times , including a week ago on my 1st generation Nexus 7 running 4.2.2 where it worked flawlessly.

I know the SDK I'm downloading from Google is not an updated SDK for Android 4.3 for OS X, so maybe they just haven't released this yet. I don't actually need the SDK for OS X, all I need is the platform-tools folder for OS X. Since this is not a PC the adb/fastboot files are not .exe's, they're Unix Executable Files that open/run in the terminal.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Yes, I understand I need the updated 4,3 SDK for OS X, which is something I can't seem to find. As for the RSA authentication I've used ADB with this feature implemented various times , including a week ago on my 1st generation Nexus 7 running 4.2.2 where it worked flawlessly.
I don't think you mentioned whether you saw the screen on your tablet asking you to accept the PCs identification, but I assume not.

If you haven't seen that screen, then adb didn't send the information to your tablet.

It could be that you are running a different version of adb now than you were before (possibly different directory or archive from before) or it could be some permission problem where adb cannot read the adbkey.pub file, or something else that would affect whether that RSA identification got sent.

Bottom line, if you don't see the prompt showing up on the tablet, adb likely isn't sending the info and since adb shows your device as offline, we know it isn't a driver problem.

Another possiblity is you are getting the message on your tablet but don't have the screen on so didn't notice you needed to accept it.

Last edited:

wad3g

Apr 8, 2010
Birmingham, AL
wad3g.com
I don't think you mentioned whether you saw the screen on your tablet asking you to accept the PCs identification, but I assume not.

If you haven't seen that screen, then adb didn't send the information to your tablet.

It could be that you are running a different version of adb now than you were before (possibly different directory or archive from before) or it could be some permission problem where adb cannot read the adbkey.pub file, or something else that would affect whether that RSA identification got sent.

Bottom line, if you don't see the prompt showing up on the tablet, adb likely isn't sending the info and since adb shows your device as offline, we know it isn't a driver problem.

Another possiblity is you are getting the message on your tablet but don't have the screen on so didn't notice you needed to accept it.

My apologies, I was sort-of-kind-of trying to answering ~4 people in one. I do get that popup to accept my computer's identification. I also still have the exact directory my ADB worked on my original Nexus 7 (and still works on my Galaxy Nexus). I've also downloaded the new SDK several times to try to get the most recent version, but it's still the SDK for 4.2.2.

I'm not sure what the adbkey.pub file is. Is there something I can do to try to fix permissions on this if it were the case?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the same as any other Nexus device.

WARNING. As is normally the case, this WILL factory reset your device.

1. Install the Android SDK (and Google USB driver).
    2. Enable USB debugging on the Nexus 7.
      • Unlock Developer Options by going to Settings > About Tablet and clicking on the build number seven times.
      • Go to Settings > Developer Options and check USB debugging. Click OK on the warning.
    3. Connect the Nexus 7 via USB and reboot the Nexus 7 into the bootloader.
      Note: Users have reported failures and "Access is Denied" errors when connected via USB 3.0 ports so use USB 1.1 or 2.0 to be on the safe side.
      • Open a command line / terminal and navigate to your SDK platform-tools directory.
      • Enter
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        and hit enter.
    4. Once the Nexus 7 boots to the bootloader, unlock it
      • At the command line / terminal enter
        Code:
        fastboot oem unlock
        and press enter.
      • On the Nexus 7, use the volume up button to select 'Yes' on the 'Unlock bootloader?' screen.
      • Press the power button to save your choice and verify on the next screen that you see 'LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED' at the bottom.
      • Use your volume keys to select 'Start' and click the power button to factory reset and reboot.
    5. Enjoy your unlocked bootloader!
    Stock Recovery

pulled it from /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

My dumbass flashed TWRP for Grouper. Wouldn't boot, so I tried erasing the recovery in hopes it would self-restore. No dice. Can't seem to find recovery-from-boot.p either. No boot and still no custom recovery for this puppy. :crying:

Would someone be the kindest person on earth and pull & post the stock recovery...or tell me how to find and flash a back-up copy already stored on my nexus? Google hasn't even posted the img files yet. My new toy is borked and Daddy wants to play tonight!

Thank you!
    I did the hard reboot it still showed the bootloader as being locked. I tried to unlock again and the exact same thing happened.

FAILED (unknown status code)
    finished. total time 1.015s

When I get to the screen that says "Unlock Bootloader?", I can choose "no" and it will go back to main bootloader screen. Selecting "yes" causes the tablet to just hang.

Maybe I messed something up... any suggestions?

Thanks
    This is going to sound dumb, but are you using a USB3.0 port or 2.0? I had this error with a 3.0 port. Changing to a 2.0 one, fixed it.
    Any ideas? I tried I tried the ol' fastboot oem unlock command and it just sits there with the < waiting for device > message.

First off (don't mean to be a d!ck) but this thread belongs in "General", or "Q&A", because you haven't posted a development thread.
    Second, unlocking the boot loader is just as easy as the first Gen Nex7. I had mine unlocked within 5 minutes of getting it home.
    As others have said, make sure your drivers are installed, or ADB won't even recognize the device. ;)