Unlocking the Nexus 7 (2013) Bootloader

Search This thread

trssho91

Jan 25, 2013
Toano
I can confirm that the Linux drivers/packages in the repo for Ubuntu and Linux mint work perfectly on the new n7. Had this guy unlocked in 30 seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD using Tapatalk 2

jlee08517

Aug 30, 2012
Not sure if offline and device not found mean the same things. but Device not found is what I am getting for some reason.
Also running windows 8.1 with all sdk and etc up to date.
Any suggestion?

wad3g

Apr 8, 2010
Birmingham, AL
wad3g.com
Not sure if offline and device not found mean the same things. but Device not found is what I am getting for some reason.
Also running windows 8.1 with all sdk and etc up to date.
Any suggestion?

Offline and Device Not Found are not the same. When the device is reporting as offline it's still being recognized by ADB, you're just unable to execute any ADB commands.

Make sure you have the correct drivers installed. Also make sure you have ADB and your device setup correctly. There are plenty of guides on XDA regarding how to correctly setup your Windows 8 machine with ADB, as well as, what you need to do to your device.

Reactions: jlee08517

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
My apologies, I was sort-of-kind-of trying to answering ~4 people in one. I do get that popup to accept my computer's identification. I also still have the exact directory my ADB worked on my original Nexus 7 (and still works on my Galaxy Nexus). I've also downloaded the new SDK several times to try to get the most recent version, but it's still the SDK for 4.2.2.

I'm not sure what the adbkey.pub file is. Is there something I can do to try to fix permissions on this if it were the case?
So you do get the popup and you have accepted it (checking the box to make it persistent) and adb still says device offline? That is very strange.

Usually you'll get device offline as the error prior to any popup on the tablet. Once it is able to send the RSA authentication it shouldn't be saying device offline because it was able to send info to the tablet, as evidenced by the popup.

adbkey[.pub] is kept somewhere in the the .android directory in your user profile. Probably $HOME/.android, but I'm just guessing since I don't use Mac.

On the tablet, I believe the list of accepted entries is in
/data/misc/adb/adb_keys

Last edited:

akwingnut

Dec 19, 2008
Anchorage
Sorry

Ok so after reading 11 pages of this I still am unable to still get my Nexus 7 to unlock the bootloader, it was not this hard on my HTC One using the ADB commands. I dont get what I am doing wrong downloaded and updated everything but still keeps coming back as device not found but in the windows explorer it shows the Nexus 7 is there. Help please

-AkWingnut

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I am sure it was just me who had a trouble with adb not connecting well.

After some searching found this link
https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/BQ5iYJEaaEH
Taking no credit for work. just wanted to share with everyone who has windows 8 and 8.1 not being able to connect thru adb.

Installed the first installer and it worked like a charm

your link worked...

jlee08517

Aug 30, 2012
Ok so after reading 11 pages of this I still am unable to still get my Nexus 7 to unlock the bootloader, it was not this hard on my HTC One using the ADB commands. I dont get what I am doing wrong downloaded and updated everything but still keeps coming back as device not found but in the windows explorer it shows the Nexus 7 is there. Help please

-AkWingnut

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

your link worked...

I am glad to hear.
Literally took me a whole day to find that method. And that's the only one that worked for me.

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
I can't unlock the bootloader. I get as far as seeing the "Unlock bootloader?" screen on the Nexus, but after selecting "Yes" and pressing the power button, it just hangs. At least for about 10 minutes, then I gave up. Any idea?

Update: It just got worse. After some more tries, "fastboot oem unlock" finally showed a bit more than three dots, but then hung at erasing userdata. After an hour, I rebooted manually. Or better said: I tried to. Now my device is still locked, but also wouldn't boot. I see the boot animation for hours. As it's still locked, I can't even flash the stock. Unlocking the boot loader shouldn't be that hard on a Nexus... :-/

Final update: I managed to get into the recovery menu (is it possible to do it any more complicated? You've got to press power+vol.up for the right duration...) and wipe data managed to get me back to booting. Unlocking is still impossible. As I've got no use for a device without root (esp. without backups), it's going back to Google.

Last edited:

jcjoker2008

Sep 28, 2014
How long does rebooting take?

I went through the whole process and my Nexus 7 WiFi (2013) is unlocked and I clicked the power button on start to get into to boot up again and it's on that screen where it has the four colored dots swirling around. Does anyone know how long this should take?

bswift916

Nov 29, 2011
I was wondering if you can answer a question for me and help me out?! I dled a bad rom onto my N7 and didn't create a back up. Now I have no Rom to flash. How can I restore one on it?

DaveImagery

Jun 7, 2014
I'm having some kind of problem, where the bootloader is locked, although it shows it as unlocked. I put latest Marshmallow on my Nexus 7 2013, and all was fine. Then Xposed for marshmallow came out, and I was all excited to put it on mine. I installed it on Lollipop no problem. I think somewhere in the process, I screwed something up. No matter what I do, I can't install Marshmallow back on it. Using Wugs Toolkit, I keep getting the error "bootloader is locked". Only thing I can do, is restore a system backup of Lollipop via TWRP recovery. I have system image backups of Marshamllow, but regardless of what version of twrp recovery I use, I keep getting that stupid extracttarfork 255 error., when trying to restore them. Tried doing a full wipe/factory reset, but nothing works. It will only let me put Lollipop back on. HELP!!!

trhacker01

Nov 16, 2015
Whether rooting manually or using the previous version of nrt, I ran into a bootloop when rooting. To make it work I had to use beta-supersu-v2.52. I'm assuming the SuperSU (2.46) nrt was using was casing that issue. Anyone else have that issue or know for sure?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Whether rooting manually or using the previous version of nrt, I ran into a bootloop when rooting. To make it work I had to use beta-supersu-v2.52. I'm assuming the SuperSU (2.46) nrt was using was casing that issue. Anyone else have that issue or know for sure?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah, you need 2.52 or higher these days. 2.46 came out back in February, and a whole lot has changed since then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the same as any other Nexus device.

WARNING. As is normally the case, this WILL factory reset your device.

1. Install the Android SDK (and Google USB driver).
    2. Enable USB debugging on the Nexus 7.
      • Unlock Developer Options by going to Settings > About Tablet and clicking on the build number seven times.
      • Go to Settings > Developer Options and check USB debugging. Click OK on the warning.
    3. Connect the Nexus 7 via USB and reboot the Nexus 7 into the bootloader.
      Note: Users have reported failures and "Access is Denied" errors when connected via USB 3.0 ports so use USB 1.1 or 2.0 to be on the safe side.
      • Open a command line / terminal and navigate to your SDK platform-tools directory.
      • Enter
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        and hit enter.
    4. Once the Nexus 7 boots to the bootloader, unlock it
      • At the command line / terminal enter
        Code:
        fastboot oem unlock
        and press enter.
      • On the Nexus 7, use the volume up button to select 'Yes' on the 'Unlock bootloader?' screen.
      • Press the power button to save your choice and verify on the next screen that you see 'LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED' at the bottom.
      • Use your volume keys to select 'Start' and click the power button to factory reset and reboot.
    5. Enjoy your unlocked bootloader!
    Stock Recovery

pulled it from /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

My dumbass flashed TWRP for Grouper. Wouldn't boot, so I tried erasing the recovery in hopes it would self-restore. No dice. Can't seem to find recovery-from-boot.p either. No boot and still no custom recovery for this puppy. :crying:

Would someone be the kindest person on earth and pull & post the stock recovery...or tell me how to find and flash a back-up copy already stored on my nexus? Google hasn't even posted the img files yet. My new toy is borked and Daddy wants to play tonight!

Thank you!
    I did the hard reboot it still showed the bootloader as being locked. I tried to unlock again and the exact same thing happened.

FAILED (unknown status code)
    finished. total time 1.015s

When I get to the screen that says "Unlock Bootloader?", I can choose "no" and it will go back to main bootloader screen. Selecting "yes" causes the tablet to just hang.

Maybe I messed something up... any suggestions?

Thanks
    This is going to sound dumb, but are you using a USB3.0 port or 2.0? I had this error with a 3.0 port. Changing to a 2.0 one, fixed it.
    Any ideas? I tried I tried the ol' fastboot oem unlock command and it just sits there with the < waiting for device > message.

First off (don't mean to be a d!ck) but this thread belongs in "General", or "Q&A", because you haven't posted a development thread.
    Second, unlocking the boot loader is just as easy as the first Gen Nex7. I had mine unlocked within 5 minutes of getting it home.
    As others have said, make sure your drivers are installed, or ADB won't even recognize the device. ;)