Unlocking the Nexus 7 (2013) Bootloader

Search This thread

ferjovi

Nov 18, 2015
Update an update

Hello this is the first time that I write in a post, I want to know if I already update my nexus 7 to marshmellow, but through the pc, I don't know the method, I downloaded the fabric version of the os and I followed some steps and then flash all on a .bat file. I had it rooted, but now i saw that it's not rooted any more, and thats ok, I don't wanted rooted. I still see the opened padlock when it turns on. It means that the bootloader is still unlocked I think. Now my tablet works fine but i got a message telling me to update to a newer version (that's only 2 mb) I think that its for some minor corrections. But I've read in another post that if I update my tablet in that via (I think it's called OTA) It might be bricked. Is it True? I want to know if I can do the updates that de OS shows me. I think that for doing that I have to lock the bootloader again. Am I right?

Thank you so much.

trhacker01

Nov 16, 2015
Hello this is the first time that I write in a post, I want to know if I already update my nexus 7 to marshmellow, but through the pc, I don't know the method, I downloaded the fabric version of the os and I followed some steps and then flash all on a .bat file. I had it rooted, but now i saw that it's not rooted any more, and thats ok, I don't wanted rooted. I still see the opened padlock when it turns on. It means that the bootloader is still unlocked I think. Now my tablet works fine but i got a message telling me to update to a newer version (that's only 2 mb) I think that its for some minor corrections. But I've read in another post that if I update my tablet in that via (I think it's called OTA) It might be bricked. Is it True? I want to know if I can do the updates that de OS shows me. I think that for doing that I have to lock the bootloader again. Am I right?

Thank you so much.

I don't have a complete answer, but I know that if its rooted the ota update will fail, but not cause bootloop or anything. Not sure if bootloader unlocked by itself will cause a problem. If u don't want to be rooted anymore, just relock the bootloader then no worries. Btw, yes the update is just bug fixes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: ferjovi

ferjovi

Nov 18, 2015
I don't have a complete answer, but I know that if its rooted the ota update will fail, but not cause bootloop or anything. Not sure if bootloader unlocked by itself will cause a problem. If u don't want to be rooted anymore, just relock the bootloader then no worries. Btw, yes the update is just bug fixes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Thank you so you sugest that i can relock the bootleader and then I can do the OTA updates again? thank you and sorry for been so noob hehe

yosmokinman

Sep 30, 2012
You don't need to relock the bootloader, and relocking it will not remove root. So if the systems not stock an ota won't work anyway.

You said you've already flashed a factory image so just do that again with the latest version and forget the ota.

I don't know about the ota bricking thing, but otas can cause problems. Imo it's best to just flash the boot and system.img when a new version is released (and bootloader if it changes). You won't lose any data.

If you wan't to take otas a good idea would be to run fastboot boot twrp.img and make a backup before the update. It won't interfere with otas and if there is a problem you can boot it again and restore the backup.

k23m

Jan 3, 2016
Unlock bootloader without factory reset

Is it possible to unlock bootloader without factory resetting the device?

No, by design. Security.

True but there is work-around. Just set the byte at offset 0x4FFC00 to "2" on the aboot/mmcblk0p12 partition. This can be done in the following ways:

• on rooted devices run this app
  • on devices with OS older than mid-2014 use Towelroot and then run the above app
  • on devices with bootloader released before August 5, 2014, run fastboot boot twrp.img and use dd to patch the offset
  • use JTAG to patch eMMC memory
  • use hardware programmer to patch removed eMMC chip
You can probably ignore the last two methods ;)

Battler154

Apr 11, 2016
Dresden
Is there a way to open the bootloader without having developer options and usb debugging enabled? Or is there a way to do this via adb command?

ludemon

Not able to erase userdata

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) that starts only in locked bootloader mode.
Selecting :
'recovery' returns back to bootloader.
'start' goes to white Google logo, but stays there until a button is pressed, then returns to bootloader.

On cmd terminal fastboot oem unlock brings up the yes/no selection screen on the device, but stays there for ever if yes is selected. On the command prompt terminal 'erasing userdata.....' is displayed for ever.
Similarly command fastboot erase userdata or fastboot format userdata ends with 'erasing userdata.....' but no further action.
All other erase commands like fastboot erase cache work okay without error, only erase userdata freezes.

I obviously need to unlock the bootloader to be able to proceed with returning the tablet to normal working condition, but not being able to erase userdata is preventing that.
I have seen many references to this problem on the internet but so far not found a solution that works, so I'm hoping that someone here can help.

killeriq

Dec 10, 2008
Yeah same problem here "erasing userdata..." stays forever, i did unlock many N7 before, never faced this issue... :(
Any clue what to do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the same as any other Nexus device.

WARNING. As is normally the case, this WILL factory reset your device.

1. Install the Android SDK (and Google USB driver).
    2. Enable USB debugging on the Nexus 7.
      • Unlock Developer Options by going to Settings > About Tablet and clicking on the build number seven times.
      • Go to Settings > Developer Options and check USB debugging. Click OK on the warning.
    3. Connect the Nexus 7 via USB and reboot the Nexus 7 into the bootloader.
      Note: Users have reported failures and "Access is Denied" errors when connected via USB 3.0 ports so use USB 1.1 or 2.0 to be on the safe side.
      • Open a command line / terminal and navigate to your SDK platform-tools directory.
      • Enter
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        and hit enter.
    4. Once the Nexus 7 boots to the bootloader, unlock it
      • At the command line / terminal enter
        Code:
        fastboot oem unlock
        and press enter.
      • On the Nexus 7, use the volume up button to select 'Yes' on the 'Unlock bootloader?' screen.
      • Press the power button to save your choice and verify on the next screen that you see 'LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED' at the bottom.
      • Use your volume keys to select 'Start' and click the power button to factory reset and reboot.
    5. Enjoy your unlocked bootloader!
    Stock Recovery

pulled it from /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

My dumbass flashed TWRP for Grouper. Wouldn't boot, so I tried erasing the recovery in hopes it would self-restore. No dice. Can't seem to find recovery-from-boot.p either. No boot and still no custom recovery for this puppy. :crying:

Would someone be the kindest person on earth and pull & post the stock recovery...or tell me how to find and flash a back-up copy already stored on my nexus? Google hasn't even posted the img files yet. My new toy is borked and Daddy wants to play tonight!

Thank you!
    TWRP is now out for the Nexus 7 2013 model.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380100
    I did the hard reboot it still showed the bootloader as being locked. I tried to unlock again and the exact same thing happened.

FAILED (unknown status code)
    finished. total time 1.015s

When I get to the screen that says "Unlock Bootloader?", I can choose "no" and it will go back to main bootloader screen. Selecting "yes" causes the tablet to just hang.

Maybe I messed something up... any suggestions?

Thanks
    This is going to sound dumb, but are you using a USB3.0 port or 2.0? I had this error with a 3.0 port. Changing to a 2.0 one, fixed it.
    Any ideas? I tried I tried the ol' fastboot oem unlock command and it just sits there with the < waiting for device > message.

First off (don't mean to be a d!ck) but this thread belongs in "General", or "Q&A", because you haven't posted a development thread.
    Second, unlocking the boot loader is just as easy as the first Gen Nex7. I had mine unlocked within 5 minutes of getting it home.
    As others have said, make sure your drivers are installed, or ADB won't even recognize the device. ;)