• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Unlocking the Pixel 6 Pro bootloader & general central repository of relevant links

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor

11/22/2021: I think I have to take a mental health break. Too many folks on here are lashing out at others, and this is one of the reasons why I was hardly active on here for the last five years. I'm turning off all notifications, so I won't see if anyone quotes or mentions me unless I manually look. I'll try to be back, especially if there's something new that needs adjusting in the OP.​

Note that this is only for the officially listed "Unlocked" Pixel 6 Pro, available directly from the Google Store.

Some of the information here applies to other variants, but I won't necessarily update information in the OP for them. Feel free to ask about general questions, but for anything that's specific to your variant, you should use one of the other already existing threads. You'll find Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile-related threads in those respective search results.

Here there be dragons. 🐉 I am not responsible for anything at all. 😹

Unlocking or locking the bootloader will wipe the device every single time, so be sure to have your data backed up before doing so, or better yet, just unlock it as soon as you get the device.

Likewise, when wanting to root you have to disable verity and verification, after which you'll need to wipe the phone, so best just to go ahead and disable these immediately after unlocking the bootloader. See the section below "A list of the other important guides".

Keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader or rooting might affect your phone's capability to use banking apps such as Google Pay, or your local bank's app.

If you're going to re-lock the bootloader, make sure the ROM you have on your phone is completely stock (by flashing the latest official firmware) BEFORE re-locking it.

My experience on my Pixel 1 was that there were no negative consequences if you unlock or re-lock the bootloader other than it will wipe your phone, and while unlocked you get a brief screen when you boot the phone telling you (and anyone who sees your phone at the time) that the bootloader is unlocked. All of this should still be the case. You will also continue to receive updates. Unlike Samsung, Sony, et cetera, which have major consequences with reduced functionality even if you un-root and re-lock your bootloader. If you're actually rooted (not just bootloader unlocked), you'll have to perform extra steps to keep root/re-root.

All posts about Google Pay or banking will be reported to be deleted. Please keep this thread on-topic. There are at least one or two other How To Guide threads in this section in which folks discuss how to get around banking app restrictions when you're rooted or just have an unlocked bootloader.
If users persist in discussing banking apps in this thread, I will have this thread locked and only update this first post when there is new and updated information regarding the subjects of the title of the thread: Unlocking the Pixel 6 Pro bootloader, rooting, and TWRP.

Honorable mention to @Jawomo's aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro! (XDA link) / Notification light / LED for Pixel - aodNotify (Play Store link), which in my opinion restores useful functionality missing in most phones these days.​

Official Google Pixel Update and Software Repair
Official Google Pixel Install fingerprint calibration software (also available at the bottom of the Update and Software Repair page above) - I believe this is only helpful if you've replaced the screen
Official Google Android Flash Tool

ADB/Fastboot, Windows Drivers, and unlocking the bootloader (thanks @sidhaarthm for confirming unlocking the bootloader works as intended, be sure to thank him in his post)
  • You'll need this if you're going to unlock the bootloader on your Pixel 6 Pro: SDK Platform Tools (download links for Windows, Mac, and Linux). Note that you can find links to download the tools elsewhere, but I wouldn't trust them - you never know if they've been modified. Even if the person providing the link didn't do anything intentionally, the tools could be modified without them being aware. Why take a chance of putting your phone security further at risk?
  • For Windows, get Google's drivers here Get the Google USB Driver (ADB will likely work while the phone is fully booted, but if you're like me, you'll need these drivers for after you "adb reboot-bootloader", to be able to use ADB and Fastboot.
  • Thanks to @96carboard for posting the details of unlocking the bootloader, be sure to thank him in his post. Unlocking or locking the bootloader will wipe the device every single time, so be sure to have your data backed up before doing so, or better yet, just unlock it as soon as you get the device. Keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader or rooting might affect your phone's capability to use banking apps such as Google Pay, or your local bank's app. If you're going to re-lock the bootloader, make sure the ROM you have on your phone is completely stock (by flashing the latest official firmware) BEFORE re-locking it. My experience on my Pixel 1 was that there were no negative consequences if you unlock or re-lock the bootloader other than it will wipe your phone, and while unlocked you get a brief screen when you boot the phone telling you (and anyone who sees your phone at the time) that the bootloader is unlocked. All of this should still be the case. You will also continue to receive updates. Unlike Samsung, Sony, et cetera, which have major consequences with reduced functionality even if you un-root and re-lock your bootloader. If you're actually rooted (not just bootloader unlocked), you'll have to perform extra steps to keep root/re-root.:

The unlock process works like this:

1) Take brand new fresh phone out of box. Do NOT put sim card in it, just power it on (you can put a SIM card if you want, you just don't have to).
    2) When it starts harassing you to join Google, hit "skip" and "remind me tomorrow" as applicable until you reach home screen. YOU DO NOT need to plug in a google account.
    3) Settings --> About --> Build number. Repeatedly tap it until it says you're a developer.
    4) Back --> Network --> WiFi and connect it.
    5) Back --> System --> Developer --> OEM unlocking (check), USB debugging (check), plug in USB, authorize on the phone when requested.

Using the Platform Tools previously mentioned in command line/terminal:
    6) #
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    7) #
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock

Now that you've unlocked it, it has been wiped, so repeat 1-4, then disable all the google spyware, and go ahead and start using it while waiting for aosp and root.

Official Instructions for Locking/Unlocking the Bootloader

Rooting-related

Things that make rooting more complicated on Android 12
@V0latyle posted a new thread with some very important and fascinating information about the increased difficulty to root Android 12: Read this before rooting. Be sure to thank him there.

A list of the other important guides - be sure to thank the respective OPs
For all relevant guide threads just click the yellow "How To Guide" quick filter above the list of threads in the Pixel 6 Pro section.

TWRP (not made for the Pixel 6 Pro yet - will update when it has)
I would guess that this should be the appropriate URL for official TWRP custom recovery for the Pixel 6 Pro, but who knows when/if that will actually be made available, and it may become available unofficially in these forum sections before being made official. I'll adjust this URL as needed. https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel6pro.html.

Custom kernels for stock ROM(s)

Factory Images
It's also handy to have to the full official firmware available, whether it's to recovery from accidents or for actual development. Note the official link to the general Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices page. The following link goes directly to the Pixel 6 Pro (Raven) section: Pixel 6 Pro Factory Images. I prefer to actually bookmark a link to the device listed immediately below the device I want the firmware for, because Google dumbly (in my opinion) puts the latest firmware at the bottom of the list for each particular device, and that ends up making you scroll a lot after a year or two of monthly updates.

List of all Pixel monthly security bulletins

Copy of Verizon changelogs in case they disappear
    • System Update 1​

The details:

Release date: 11/16/2021
    Android™ Security Patch Level: October 2021
    Software Version: SD1A.210817.037.A1

What's changing:

The current software update improves the performance of your device's fingerprint sensor.

• System Update​

The details:

Release date: 10/28/2021
    Android Security Patch Level: October 2021
    Software Version: SD1A.210817.036.A8

What's changing:

The current software update provides performance improvements and the most up to date Android security patches on your device.

Full OTA Images

I may append this first post with further useful information or links as needed.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
If you have any reputable youtube links that you think might be of help as well for complete noobs like me, that would be great.
This one's kinda long for what it is, and this is for the Pixel 1, but it should be similar for the Pixel 6/Pro. I won't add it to the first post just yet in case there are differences, and I don't want to recommend something I can't actually try on the 6 Pro (since I won't get mine for likely another two days). Unlocking the Bootloader of the Pixel and Pixel XL

Good luck!

Reactions: dj24 and galaxys

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
This one's kinda long for what it is, and this is for the Pixel 1, but it should be similar for the Pixel 6/Pro. I won't add it to the first post just yet in case there are differences, and I don't want to recommend something I can't actually try on the 6 Pro (since I won't get mine for likely another two days). Unlocking the Bootloader of the Pixel and Pixel XL

Good luck!
This is great. I won't be getting mine for a while as well so please come back and update this thread.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Pekempy

Aug 22, 2011
UK
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If you have any reputable youtube links that you think might be of help as well for complete noobs like me, that would be great.
Generally YouTube video guides for software related things aren't particularly helpful, as they can often get outdated very quickly; especially in the early days of a device as they can't be updated when new things are found out.
It would probably be best to carefully read through guides

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
This is great. I won't be getting mine for a while as well so please come back and update this thread.
FYI, I'm reminded by several members in these forums that unlocking the bootloader (the first step before being able to root your Carrier-Unlocked Pixel 6 Pro) wipes the device - so does re-locking it. So I highly recommend unlocking it as the first step when you get the phone, otherwise, you'll have to back up anything that doesn't normally get backed up, and go through the initial setup process again. Not a big deal for some, but would likely not be optimal for a new user.
  • Instructions for Locking/Unlocking the Bootloader (note that unlocking or locking the bootloader will wipe the device every single time, so be sure to have your data backed up before doing so, or better yet, just unlock it as soon as you get the device).

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
FYI, I'm reminded by several members in these forums that unlocking the bootloader (the first step before being able to root your Carrier-Unlocked Pixel 6 Pro) wipes the device - so does re-locking it. So I highly recommend unlocking it as the first step when you get the phone
This! It's the first thing you should do out of the box if you plan on rooting later.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
The unlock process works like this;

1) Take brand new fresh phone out of box. Do NOT put sim card in it, just power it on.
2) When it starts harassing you to join google, hit "skip" and "remind me tomorrow" as applicable until you reach home screen. YOU DO NOT need to plug in a google account.
3) Settings --> About --> Build number. Tap it until it says you're a developer.
4) Back --> Network --> Wifi and connect it.
5) Back --> System --> Developer --> OEM unlocking (check), USB debugging (check), plug in USB, authorize when requested.
6) # adb reboot-bootloader
7) # fastboot flashing unlock

Now that you've unlocked it, it has been wiped, so repeat 1-4, then disable all the google spyware, and go ahead and start using it while waiting for aosp and root.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Thanks. I was confused because I didn't see that mentioned in the OP

Steps 6 & 7 are new to me. -not something I did on my 6XL

Thanks again

ƒ

6 is just an easier way to reboot it into recovery than trying to shut it down and fiddle with volume+power buttons to start in the right mode. You had to do 7, no choice. Some older phones used "fastboot oem unlock". You'd have to ask google why they changed it.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor

1) Take brand new fresh phone out of box. Do NOT put sim card in it, just power it on.
2) When it starts harassing you to join google, hit "skip" and "remind me tomorrow" as applicable until you reach home screen. YOU DO NOT need to plug in a google account.
3) Settings --> About --> Build number. Tap it until it says you're a developer.
5) Back --> System --> Developer --> OEM unlocking (check), USB debugging (check), plug in USB, authorize when requested.

Thanks. I was confused because I didn't see that mentioned in the OP

Steps 6 & 7 are new to me. -not something I did on my 6XL

Thanks again

ƒ
Good point. I'll add to the OP. You might not remember 6 and 7, but you had to have done them one way or another, whether using a third-party tool to help automate that part or something else.

Reactions: biTToe

biTToe

6 is just an easier way to reboot it into recovery than trying to shut it down and fiddle with volume+power buttons to start in the right mode. You had to do 7, no choice. Some older phones used "fastboot oem unlock". You'd have to ask google why they changed it.
Ahhh...
to be fair, B/L unlock was a long time ago for me.
My P6P arrives tomorrow and I am hoping for root as well.
ƒ

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

I'm sorry.. Complete noob here.. Are the steps you mentioned talking about BL unlocking or fully unlocking the phone for any sim/ carrier?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to let everyone know, updating to .037 and re-rooting (without wiping anything) worked with no problems. My method is to just replace -w with --disable-verity --disable-verification in the flash-all.bat file and run the flash-all command. I then let it reboot, patch the boot image, return to bootloader and flash the patched boot image.

Canary 23014

EDIT: Thank you @ipdev for confirming my inquiry that this method would work back on Nov. 4 👍
    New factory images and OTA images .037 and .037.A1 are available. Pixel 6 Pro Factory Images

Manually mashing my Check for update button results in nothing, so give it some time to OTA for those who aren't rooted (yet). Or wait to see if it makes anything worse for anyone who gets the OTA first. 😜

Everyone, make sure your phone is charged enough for whether you'll take the OTA or flash manually.
    BTW with 037 the flickering screen while the device is off and you shortly press the power button (without starting the phone) has been fixed - at least on my device :)
    Thanks for your quick answer. How to I use adb sideload? When I go to recovery, there's an Android icon with 'No command' text. cmd on Windows 11 states that adb is unauthorised.
    Had that as well, when you see the Android icon you are actually not in the recovery - you need to short press the "power" button and the "volume up" button directly one after the other to get into the actual recovery menu where you can select adb sideload (see video here for details) - took me a few approaches to get the timing correct, though ;)

11/22/2021: I think I have to take a mental health break. Too many folks on here are lashing out at others, and this is one of the reasons why I was hardly active on here for the last five years. I'm turning off all notifications, so I won't see if anyone quotes or mentions me unless I manually look. I'll try to be back, especially if there's something new that needs adjusting in the OP.​

Note that this is only for the officially listed "Unlocked" Pixel 6 Pro, available directly from the Google Store.

Some of the information here applies to other variants, but I won't necessarily update information in the OP for them. Feel free to ask about general questions, but for anything that's specific to your variant, you should use one of the other already existing threads. You'll find Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile-related threads in those respective search results.

Here there be dragons. 🐉 I am not responsible for anything at all. 😹

Unlocking or locking the bootloader will wipe the device every single time, so be sure to have your data backed up before doing so, or better yet, just unlock it as soon as you get the device.

Likewise, when wanting to root you have to disable verity and verification, after which you'll need to wipe the phone, so best just to go ahead and disable these immediately after unlocking the bootloader. See the section below "A list of the other important guides".

Keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader or rooting might affect your phone's capability to use banking apps such as Google Pay, or your local bank's app.

If you're going to re-lock the bootloader, make sure the ROM you have on your phone is completely stock (by flashing the latest official firmware) BEFORE re-locking it.

My experience on my Pixel 1 was that there were no negative consequences if you unlock or re-lock the bootloader other than it will wipe your phone, and while unlocked you get a brief screen when you boot the phone telling you (and anyone who sees your phone at the time) that the bootloader is unlocked. All of this should still be the case. You will also continue to receive updates. Unlike Samsung, Sony, et cetera, which have major consequences with reduced functionality even if you un-root and re-lock your bootloader. If you're actually rooted (not just bootloader unlocked), you'll have to perform extra steps to keep root/re-root.

All posts about Google Pay or banking will be reported to be deleted. Please keep this thread on-topic. There are at least one or two other How To Guide threads in this section in which folks discuss how to get around banking app restrictions when you're rooted or just have an unlocked bootloader.
    If users persist in discussing banking apps in this thread, I will have this thread locked and only update this first post when there is new and updated information regarding the subjects of the title of the thread: Unlocking the Pixel 6 Pro bootloader, rooting, and TWRP.

Honorable mention to @Jawomo's aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro! (XDA link) / Notification light / LED for Pixel - aodNotify (Play Store link), which in my opinion restores useful functionality missing in most phones these days.​

Official Google Pixel Update and Software Repair
    Official Google Pixel Install fingerprint calibration software (also available at the bottom of the Update and Software Repair page above) - I believe this is only helpful if you've replaced the screen
    Official Google Android Flash Tool

ADB/Fastboot, Windows Drivers, and unlocking the bootloader (thanks @sidhaarthm for confirming unlocking the bootloader works as intended, be sure to thank him in his post)
    • You'll need this if you're going to unlock the bootloader on your Pixel 6 Pro: SDK Platform Tools (download links for Windows, Mac, and Linux). Note that you can find links to download the tools elsewhere, but I wouldn't trust them - you never know if they've been modified. Even if the person providing the link didn't do anything intentionally, the tools could be modified without them being aware. Why take a chance of putting your phone security further at risk?
    • For Windows, get Google's drivers here Get the Google USB Driver (ADB will likely work while the phone is fully booted, but if you're like me, you'll need these drivers for after you "adb reboot-bootloader", to be able to use ADB and Fastboot.
    • Thanks to @96carboard for posting the details of unlocking the bootloader, be sure to thank him in his post. Unlocking or locking the bootloader will wipe the device every single time, so be sure to have your data backed up before doing so, or better yet, just unlock it as soon as you get the device. Keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader or rooting might affect your phone's capability to use banking apps such as Google Pay, or your local bank's app. If you're going to re-lock the bootloader, make sure the ROM you have on your phone is completely stock (by flashing the latest official firmware) BEFORE re-locking it. My experience on my Pixel 1 was that there were no negative consequences if you unlock or re-lock the bootloader other than it will wipe your phone, and while unlocked you get a brief screen when you boot the phone telling you (and anyone who sees your phone at the time) that the bootloader is unlocked. All of this should still be the case. You will also continue to receive updates. Unlike Samsung, Sony, et cetera, which have major consequences with reduced functionality even if you un-root and re-lock your bootloader. If you're actually rooted (not just bootloader unlocked), you'll have to perform extra steps to keep root/re-root.:

The unlock process works like this:

1) Take brand new fresh phone out of box. Do NOT put sim card in it, just power it on (you can put a SIM card if you want, you just don't have to).
      2) When it starts harassing you to join Google, hit "skip" and "remind me tomorrow" as applicable until you reach home screen. YOU DO NOT need to plug in a google account.
      3) Settings --> About --> Build number. Repeatedly tap it until it says you're a developer.
      4) Back --> Network --> WiFi and connect it.
      5) Back --> System --> Developer --> OEM unlocking (check), USB debugging (check), plug in USB, authorize on the phone when requested.

Using the Platform Tools previously mentioned in command line/terminal:
      6) #
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
      7) #
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock

Official Instructions for Locking/Unlocking the Bootloader

Rooting-related

Things that make rooting more complicated on Android 12
    @V0latyle posted a new thread with some very important and fascinating information about the increased difficulty to root Android 12: Read this before rooting. Be sure to thank him there.

A list of the other important guides - be sure to thank the respective OPs
    For all relevant guide threads just click the yellow "How To Guide" quick filter above the list of threads in the Pixel 6 Pro section.

TWRP (not made for the Pixel 6 Pro yet - will update when it has)
    I would guess that this should be the appropriate URL for official TWRP custom recovery for the Pixel 6 Pro, but who knows when/if that will actually be made available, and it may become available unofficially in these forum sections before being made official. I'll adjust this URL as needed. https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel6pro.html.

Custom kernels for stock ROM(s)

Factory Images
    It's also handy to have to the full official firmware available, whether it's to recovery from accidents or for actual development. Note the official link to the general Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices page. The following link goes directly to the Pixel 6 Pro (Raven) section: Pixel 6 Pro Factory Images. I prefer to actually bookmark a link to the device listed immediately below the device I want the firmware for, because Google dumbly (in my opinion) puts the latest firmware at the bottom of the list for each particular device, and that ends up making you scroll a lot after a year or two of monthly updates.

List of all Pixel monthly security bulletins

Copy of Verizon changelogs in case they disappear
      • System Update 1​

The details:

Release date: 11/16/2021
      Android™ Security Patch Level: October 2021
      Software Version: SD1A.210817.037.A1

What's changing:

The current software update improves the performance of your device's fingerprint sensor.

• System Update​

The details:

Release date: 10/28/2021
      Android Security Patch Level: October 2021
      Software Version: SD1A.210817.036.A8

What's changing:

The current software update provides performance improvements and the most up to date Android security patches on your device.

Full OTA Images

I may append this first post with further useful information or links as needed.

Just to let everyone know, updating to .037 and re-rooting (without wiping anything) worked with no problems. My method is to just replace -w with --disable-verity --disable-verification in the flash-all.bat file and run the flash-all command. I then let it reboot, patch the boot image, return to bootloader and flash the patched boot image.

Canary 23014

EDIT: Thank you @ipdev for confirming my inquiry that this method would work back on Nov. 4 👍
    I was able to root my Pixel 6 Pro on Project Fi. I had the Day 1 update applied. Wiping /data was required for the vbmeta thing (and was a good idea in general since I was downgrading the OS version).

My steps:

1. Download appropriate factory image for my device.
    2. Download magisk canary (v23 stable fails to patch the boot.img).
    3. Boot phone and run through OOB setup if needed, skip everything.
    4. Enable developer options, then OEM unlock.
    5. Reboot into bootloader.
    6. Modify flash-all script in factory image ZIP and add --skip-reboot to the image flash command (remove the pause and exit commands in the BAT as well if you're using that). You need to keep the -w flag in to wipe /data or else the phone won't boot the rooted image. Normally you don't need to reflash everything but the latest version is not available as a factory image, and doing this ensures every partition is kept the same version. Plus you need to wipe /data anyway.
    7. Connect your phone to PC via USB and run script.
    8. Extract vbmeta.img and boot.img from the image ZIP.
    9. Use fastboot to flash vbmeta.img with the flags listed above.
    10. Reboot and unlock device. Go through OOB experience, you can set up your phone properly this time.
    11. Push the boot.img and app_debug.apk (magisk) to your phone and install the APK., You can use ADB if you enable USB debugging or just find your phone in Windows Explorer and drag and drop (open APK in Files app and enable app install from Files).
    12. Run magisk and patch the boot.img.
    13. Use adb (or Explorer) to pull the patched magisk*.img down to your PC.
    14. Reboot to bootloader
    15. Use fastboot to flash the magisk'd magisk*.img to boot partition.
    16. Boot device.

You should be rooted now. If something goes wrong go back to step 14 but flash the original boot.img on step 15 instead, that should get you back unrooted and you can see if things are working again (else go back to step 5 to start over).

Issues/comments:
    1. Magisk Canary removes SafetyNet bypass as well as MagiskHide. Apps which check SafetyNet won't work now.
    2. Magisk won't offer modules for install, not sure if this is normal canary behavior or if the modules aren't compatible due to magisk changes.
    3. OTA updates won't install. I've had this issue with Magisk forever on other devices too. Some people say they should work but I've never seen them work.
    4. Elevation dialog works EXCEPT if you use su from an adb shell. The dialog seems to try to display but it doesn't actually display; probably the overlay is being blocked due to android security thinking it's an uninvited popup, I speculate it's a magisk bug. Terminal won't show up in the list of superuser apps either in Magisk so you can't just toggle it on in there as a workaround. EDIT: I figured out if you Hide Magisk Manager the elevation dialog will no longer work. Unhide as a workaround and grant elevation forever to any apps you need, then rehide. Automatic elevation of whitelisted apps still works (and I assume you can still toggle in the Superuser tab.)
    5. If I understand it correctly /data wipe should only have to happen once (reflashing vbmeta with the special flags still needs to happen whenever vbmeta is updated).
    6. Magisk has added a "DenyList" which sounds like MagiskHide but a) it has a different name which suggests it's different and b) SafetyNet is sitll a problem. So not sure if it is doing anything since apps just check SafetyNet anyway.
    7. I copied my /sdcard from my old phone to my new. I could not get Android to allow me to drop files in /sdcard/Android/data or /sdcard/Android/obb though. I think that is a new thing. Even with Solid Explorer getting permissions granted to write to those folders it was still denied. As said su in adb shell doesn't work so I couldn't try that.
    8. I tried to install Universal SafetyNet Fix module but it wanted Riru installed first. That rabbit hole did not seem safe to go down so I aborted at that point; someone else can give it a go.
    9. Gnirehtet and ScrCpy work fine if you like using those tools (you may need newer Android 12 compatible versions). However it's worth noting Play Store thinks you're on mobile data if Gnirehtet is active so it will pause installing apps if you do that in the OOB setup (eg apps from another device) and I couldn't get it to unpause without disabling Gnirehtet.
    10. Titanium Backup works fine for restoring app data, so I can verify root works.

SafetyNet workaround would be appreciated if anyone has figured it out.
    I wouldn't count on any particular day for them to release the factory images.
    I did a bit of research and noticed that Google first released the factory images/OTA files for the

Pixel 2 - 4 days after launch (Oct. 23th 2020 factory image, Oct. 19th launch)
    Pixel 3 - on "official" launch day (shipout) (Oct. 18th 2018)
    Pixel 4 - on launch day (Oct. 24th 2019)
    Pixel 4a - 4 days after launch (available Oct. 16th 2020, release of the phone Oct. 20th 2020)
    Pixel 5, 4a 5G - on launch day (October 15, 2020)

So, if Google doesn't stray too far from it's previous release schedule, we should expect the factory image today or in the next few days.