Unlocking your bootloader will factory erase your edge!!

Search This thread

Jgruar

Aug 1, 2010
So I found out the hard way. All I wanted was root, with everything else staying as is. Not looking to install custom roms just yet. Should have been possible, as it has been on almost every other phone. Simply unlocking the bootloader should NOT require an automatic factory reset. Just seems like a big middle finger for someone looking to try.

God damn no guide or even the motorola unlocking page made it clear that you will erase everything on your phone. Thanks very ****ing much. Pretty pissed at this point.

edit: So there is one line about losing media. Missed that, but just assumed simply unlocking the bootloader didn't require factory reset. Goddamnit.

Reactions: MEAZY4SHEEZY

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Ouch.
Rooting is a time sucking blackhole; no telling where it will take you especially on the first trip. One reason I choose to run stock... not that didn't take time to optimize🤣

Always backup your critical data redundantly using at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Androids rarely crash/burn or get infected but sooner or latter you will need that data.

Reactions: MEAZY4SHEEZY

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
So I found out the hard way. All I wanted was root, with everything else staying as is. Not looking to install custom roms just yet. Should have been possible, as it has been on almost every other phone. Simply unlocking the bootloader should NOT require an automatic factory reset. Just seems like a big middle finger for someone looking to try.

God damn no guide or even the motorola unlocking page made it clear that you will erase everything on your phone. Thanks very ****ing much. Pretty pissed at this point.

edit: So there is one line about losing media. Missed that, but just assumed simply unlocking the bootloader didn't require factory reset. Goddamnit.
It's in the big print
iMarkup_20210807_122853.jpg

Jgruar

Aug 1, 2010
Yep, missed that line somehow. Have been used to unlocking procedures that don't factory reset.

reggjoo

Jul 12, 2011
Pgh
Motorola Edge
Moto's playing hardball with it's consumers. I can't get my unlock code, they refuse to give it to me, in the US. There recently had a update to the august security patch. Applied it, and it turned off my developer options, and unlock button, they don't play nice for people that want to root.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Moto's playing hardball with it's consumers. I can't get my unlock code, they refuse to give it to me, in the US. There recently had a update to the august security patch. Applied it, and it turned off my developer options, and unlock button, they don't play nice for people that want to root.
Which CID and channel?
Code:
fastboot getvar cid
fastboot getvar ro.carrier

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ouch.
    Rooting is a time sucking blackhole; no telling where it will take you especially on the first trip. One reason I choose to run stock... not that didn't take time to optimize🤣

Always backup your critical data redundantly using at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Androids rarely crash/burn or get infected but sooner or latter you will need that data.

It's in the big print
    iMarkup_20210807_122853.jpg
    Which CID and channel?
    Code:
    fastboot getvar cid
    fastboot getvar ro.carrier
    Hey, man - that's handy.