Unofficial Android Auto SDK, custom apps

Search This thread

Tiemichael

May 10, 2013
Thanks to all of you who created these great add-ons to Android-Auto.

I don't think all the effort and time you spent is in vain, nobody is forced to upgrade to AA V3, we can still use AA V2.9 for the next months and maybe longer.

Tiemichael

May 10, 2013
That will probably not work for a long time, Android Auto is tightly connected with PlayServices, so it will probably cease to work sooner or later

Oh, I did not know ... maybe need keep the current version of PlayServices as well
Let's hope for the best, and prepare for the worst ....

jinpachi

Apr 21, 2010
That won't work either because all other Google services like Gmail, calendar, sync etc are tied on to Google play services and without update they won't work at some point

Is there a way to trick our phones into launching a custom application (to display to the headunit) instead of android auto when connected to the headunit? If this were the case, we could just use this application instead of android auto.

D

Deleted member 1198227

At least if we are rooted, could we have a solution? If i have anderstood well, we can..
Although i completely understand the frustration of anyone who was created paid apps, as less people could use them..

Sent from my SM-T700 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

FormelLMS

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2009
Well done all of you guys who fully understood how to use the SDK and went ahead and created all the nice apps like YouTube Player, Mirroring, WebView and everything else, hope you are all proud of yourselves. Thanks to all of you starting from Android Auto 3.0 we cannot use any of the apps, they have changed things and unknown sources have no effect when using it on a real car, meaning none off the apps will work now on normal cars.

I will like to say a big thank you in the name of all my 1500+ customers who are now left without an app thanks to you guys!

WELL DONE!
Yes!
So proud of all those "we must look videos while driving" Dumbo's. Thanks to them. From the first second I couldn't understand such behavior.

auto-fan

Feb 17, 2018
Well OBVIOUSLY they were trying to block the youtube app, since he blatantly stole the logo and basically made an impersonation, which violates pretty much any Copyright. And even after the "rename" after i created a Github Issue on his repo he kept on calling it "youtube auto". I am totally on Google's side on this one.

Well as far as the copyright (actually trademark) aspect is concerned you are right and he should have renamed it, but do you really think it was the trademark infringement that made Google do it?

A disclaimer won't work in every case, better said in many cases, will depend a lot on judges, circumstances etc. But generally speaking when thing goes south, they will analyze all the angles, including the fact that was there anything that Google and the car manufacturer could have done to prevent this. And laws vary a lot from country to country, so it might be just ok for one place but most certainly not for the other.

No they did not tried to block customized app till now, not in the last half year. They haven't provided a way for the public to generate custom apps only to selected parties, keeping a close control on what is being developed.

Once they lost that control and things started getting out the spiral they indeed took the nuke. Even nuke wasn't used in the first place, but will Google lose time on playing police on who has developed what, and what app needs to be banned, when this wasn't intended for the larger public in the first place? No the option is simple from Google point, use the kill switch and sayonara.

I think in the last para of the above reply you have hit the nail on the head, it was all about Google losing control of their app. It was not only one app or customisation to blame. The youtube customisation was released at a time when other customised apps had already been begun to be noticed by google, it was monitoring the situation and with the YouTube feature being extremely popular Google decided finally to pull the plug. But Google would have blocked it nevertheless, even without the release of a YouTube customisation.

And as far as the legal liability is concerned, there are certain principles common throughout jurisdictions around the world. I will give you a simple analogy. Suzuki sells a car to you, with a top speed of 120 kilometers an hour, you go and modify the engine to reach speeds of 200 kilometers an hour. If you crash it while driving at that top speed, is Suzuki responsible for all crashes happening around the world? Or even without modification, if you crash at 120 Kmph, is it the manufacturers fault? What you do with the vehicle is your responsibility. Can the manufacturer do something to prevent it? probably yes, he can limit top speed to 60 Kmph but is that a reasonable solution ? Essentially what iam trying to argue is how you put to use something under your control is your responsibility.

If somebody wants to watch YouTube while driving, can he not put his phone with a phone holder on the windscreen and watch it? Wouldn't you penalise the person in such a case or would you go after Google?

As for me i am thankful to all the developers who spent their time and energy in releasing custom apps, its Google who is playing the big daddy here is what i feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmykelsa

kaiserSS

Nov 27, 2008
Well as far as the copyright (actually trademark) aspect is concerned you are right and he should have renamed it, but do you really think it was the trademark infringement that made Google do it?

I think in the last para of the above reply you have hit the nail on the head, it was all about Google losing control of their app. It was not only one app or customisation to blame. The youtube customisation was released at a time when other customised apps had already been begun to be noticed by google, it was monitoring the situation and with the YouTube feature being extremely popular Google decided finally to pull the plug. But Google would have blocked it nevertheless, even without the release of a YouTube customisation.

And as far as the legal liability is concerned, there are certain principles common throughout jurisdictions around the world. I will give you a simple analogy. Suzuki sells a car to you, with a top speed of 120 kilometers an hour, you go and modify the engine to reach speeds of 200 kilometers an hour. If you crash it while driving at that top speed, is Suzuki responsible for all crashes happening around the world? Or even without modification, if you crash at 120 Kmph, is it the manufacturers fault? What you do with the vehicle is your responsibility. Can the manufacturer do something to prevent it? probably yes, he can limit top speed to 60 Kmph but is that a reasonable solution ? Essentially what iam trying to argue is how you put to use something under your control is your responsibility.

If somebody wants to watch YouTube while driving, can he not put his phone with a phone holder on the windscreen and watch it? Wouldn't you penalise the person in such a case or would you go after Google?

As for me i am thankful to all the developers who spent their time and energy in releasing custom apps, its Google who is playing the big daddy here is what i feel.
I totally agree with you

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

psbankar

May 3, 2014
pune
No matter whose fault it is in for taking this action. The point is it is the android auto users who are at a loss. They will miss out on some of the best unofficial apps developed by the community.

D

Deleted member 1198227

I believe everyone should keep creating apps.
I think it is logical for Google to stop unofficial apps, if you are not rooted.
After all, if you really need an a unofficiall app you will root, or use an old phone essentially for android auto.
I already doing it. I have an old nexus 5x always in car just for android auto as i expected something like this..
If by rooting we can solve the issue ofcourse which is not 100% sure..

Sent from my SM-N950F using XDA-Developers Legacy app

kaiserSS

Nov 27, 2008
Lets see if there is any way to start unofficial apps in AA 3.0.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

nangu

Jan 27, 2011
I believe everyone should keep creating apps.
I think it is logical for Google to stop unofficial apps, if you are not rooted.
After all, if you really need an a unofficiall app you will root, or use an old phone essentially for android auto.
I already doing it. I have an old nexus 5x always in car just for android auto as i expected something like this..
If by rooting we can solve the issue ofcourse which is not 100% sure..

Android Auto has a lot of potential by writting custom apps. I do not stop developing my own app, I run it on a spare android phone and that's it.

Do not forget car manufacturers onto the equation, they also want to make money by selling their own apps to customers. VW for example, sells you some options as software as a product (performance monitoring on the GTI comes to my mind), so if I write a similar app for AA they loose control on what the user can run on the car, and everybody knows how these companies think. I think this is one of the main points about why the official sdk is not public.

It's sad we are so restricted in official apps. I can understand all the implications about law, driving safety, car manufacturers NDAs and such, but give us good apps at least, paid or not, but usefull apps, not trillions music and messaging apps all the same.

datasource

Jul 6, 2010
Pandora's box is opened. It's so easy to make it work again. I have it with AA 3.0, but please, please dont ask me how.

D

Deleted member 1198227

Although if one found a way, i think it is a matter of time for others find it also.. :)
Google should stop this over and over again..any who uses modified android apps is responsible for everything. No accident can blame Google as Google have already done things complicated..
As some other write before, if anyone want to watch utube while driving, he can always do it by using his phone..
Whats next, forbidden smartphone car holder?

Reactions: Evil_Kreis

ktwo

Jun 20, 2009
M
Sure but using AA 2.9 won't work for ever.

Basically it's a cat and mouse game now. Google will always have a better way to block the apps, since they are in total control of the AA apk and Play services.

The holy grail would be - as someone said before - to transmit audio and video to the AA head unit by using a completely different app. But this is probably very hard.

And that YouTube Copycat Guy is still keeping his blog and apk downloads online which will probably make Google search for a better way to block.. Probably the next step is to block v. 2.9 in Playservices. This is possible easily as you can try to revert to a really old AA version - that won't run on latest playservices.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone interested in writing custom Android Auto apps?
    github.com / martoreto/aauto-sdk
    Added another app to my repo: https://github.com/nerone-github/WebViewAuto :)

It still needs work, much to improve, but shows that a lot is possible. Even youtube is working ;)

browser4.png

But please don't browse while driving ;)
    Hi, i've too setup a new repository for my android auto apps. You can check them out here :)

LocalSpeedcam (Displays feed from radio stations for mobile speed cams)
    https://github.com/nerone-github/LocalSpeedcam
    localspeed.png

AAutoLauncher (Opens App on the phone - bypass AA lock)
    https://github.com/nerone-github/AAutoLauncher
    launcher.png
    hopefully someone enable youtube[emoji16]

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

Yeah....

Because when he wrote
    With great power comes great responsibility. Do not write apps that distract drivers. Distraction is dangerous.

What he meant was:
    Lets put Youtube clips in your dashboard :rolleyes:
    Anyone interested in installing custom apps in Android Auto 3.0 could PM me