[UNOFFICIAL][BETA][Q][ROM]LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5 [J500H/FN/F/G/M/Y/8]

Search This thread

Zakaryan2004

Jun 1, 2017
Yerevan
2okPze5.png

LineageOS 17.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

Code:
** Disclaimer
I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
   phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
    world as we know it. You have been warned.

ROM Information

• ROM Target Device: Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J5008 | SM-J500H | SM-J500F/G/M/Y | SM-J500FN
  • ROM Status: Beta
  • ROM OS: LineageOS 17.1

What works
* RIL (in-call audio, messaging, data)
* Bluetooth
* WiFi
* Audio (music, etc)
* Camera (including video recording)
* Flash
* Sensors
* GPS
* Brightness controls
* NFC
* Bluetooth audio

What doesn't work
* Bluetooth audio(an easy workaround can be found below) Fixed
* KeyDisabler (read below) Removed
* VoLTE, this will never work on AOSP as it's not easy to implement Samsung's proprietary implementation.

Workarounds:
* Bluetooth Audio
To fix BT Audio on a Bluetooth headset, first connect to the device and after connecting press the gear icon near it. You should see a screen with 3 toggles(Phone calls, Media audio, Contact sharing), untoggle Phone calls and Contact sharing, leaving only Media audio on. After this you should be able to listen to media with bt headphones.

Play Store not showing some apps
You can avoid this bug by adding ro.opengles.version=196608 to your build.prop and rebooting. Make sure to clean Play Store app data.

KeyDisabler
The Navigation bar toggle in Settings>System>Buttons will cause touch screen not work after a reboot until the screen is timed out. This means that after rebooting your device you should let the screen turn off itself and then turn it off again to be able to unlock it.
Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmwares or recovery images!
Code:
[B]SM-J500F/G/M/Y[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5lte[/B][/COLOR]
[B]SM-J5008[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5ltechn[/B][/COLOR]
[B]SM-J500FN[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5nlte[/B][/COLOR]
[B]SM-J500H[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j53gxx[/B][/COLOR]

Downloads
ROM Download: here
OpenGApps Download: here

Installation
Install the latest version(R10.1 or later) of OrangeFox(recommended, download here) or TWRP 3.3.1 or later
Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
Make a full wipe(System, Data, Cache)
* If you are already running LineageOS 16.0(by Galaxy-MSM8916) you can make a dirty flash(flash the build and the Android 10 GApps) but a wipe is recommended
Download the latest build and transfer it to your phone
Flash the zip
If you are installing GApps do it before booting to the ROM. Make sure to flash the correct architecture and version(arm 10.0)
And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimizes all the apps

There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 17.1, these are not bugs, this is a beta release.
You should provide logs when reporting any hardware-related issue.

How to provide logcats

Under Windows:

Code:
[B]* Install samsung device drivers and then
 the adb utils from here:[/B]

[url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979[/url]

[b]* Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
 and from [B]cmd[/B] paste this command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]then try to reproduce the bug.[/b]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your desktop.[/b]

Under Linux:

Code:
[b]* Install the adb utils from your distribution's
 package manager and execute the command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > ~/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your home directory.[/b]

* Submit the logcat here on the forums, or on the Telegram group.

* If you cant connect the device through adb on windows because the drivers, connect the device over wifi, enable adb over network in developer options, and type:

Code:
adb connect [ip address here]

And then the adb logcat command for windows.

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported Magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications.

Credits
I would like to everyone who has helped me throughout the whole process of making Q for J5, included but not limited to those people:

jenslody for doing the Q bringup, making it boot, fixing most of the bugs, and for everything else he has done to the development!
Galaxy-MSM8916 team for our base trees.
SebaUbuntu for finally fixing NFC on j5nlte and for every other fix he has provided!
Soft-Bullet for suggesting Camera fix.
All of the testers who have willingly tested the builds.
And to everyone else who has done even the slightest for the project.

Source code
Kernel source code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_kernel_samsung_msm8916
ROM Source code: https://github.com/LineageOS
Device trees: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_device_samsung_msm8916-common

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5(2015), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
Zakaryan2004
ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
ROM Firmware Required: >= Marshmallow 6.0

Version Information

Created 2020-01-22
Last Updated 2020-01-22

Last edited:

Lokotito

Apr 4, 2014
Nice, will test this in my phone in next days.

Edit: Trying j5lte ROM beta 2020-01-22, in SM-J500M. Some issues:
  • At fresh install in second config screen (connect to wi-fi or mobile data) can't connect to wireless if ssid is hidden (SSID Broadcast disabled in router/A.P.), after enable SSID Broadcast in access point the phone connects fine.
    Even after successful connect, if SSID Broadcast is disabled in access point phone goes to "Out of Range" and WiFi is disconnected.
  • Bluetooth can't transfer/share files from my PC to phone (or inverse). In PC only shows like an Audio Device, not "other devices" and can't send files to phone.
    Selecting a file from file explorer in phone, and tap Share button have none option in menu, neither Bluetooth.
  • Same as Luis Garrido, in my phone the carrier config is detected automatic but can't navigate or reach internet only with mobile data.

Again Thank you for this marvelous ROM.

Last edited:

amirizad_7436

Sep 6, 2018

• At fresh install in second config screen (connect to wi-fi or mobile data) can't connect to wireless if ssid is hidden (SSID Broadcast disabled in router/A.P.), after enable SSID Broadcast in access point the phone connects fine.
    Even after successful connect, if SSID Broadcast is disabled in access point phone goes to "Out of Range" and WiFi is disconnected.
  • Bluetooth can't transfer/share files from my PC to phone (or inverse). In PC only shows like an Audio Device, not "other devices" and can't send files to phone.
    Selecting a file from file explorer in phone, and tap Share button have none option in menu, neither Bluetooth.
  • Same as Luis Garrido, in my phone the carrier config is detected automatic but can't navigate or reach internet only with mobile data.

Much love you guys for testing.plz provide logcat.zip
That will be more helpfull with your words
(So upset bc of exam time and i wanna completely stable rom and can't try this rom right now:mad:

Btw provide some screen shot of this rom:good:

I am testing this Rom and everything perfect, thanks for not letting this device die.
About the errors, so far the aforementioned data and mobile data do not work on my SM-J500M (Yes, I have already configured the APNs)
Thank all the people who worked on this and forgive my bad English. haha

Last edited:

carlos974

• May 18, 2016
    Saint-Denis

No such outcome for me.
    Wifi --> ok
    Bluetooth authorized file transfer --> ok
    on lineage-17.1-20200121-UNOFFICIAL-j5nlte

romgharti

• Dec 5, 2013
    nawalparasi

to connect hidden ssid , when you enter ssid name and pasword, scroll down and go advance option and there is option hidden network where select yes option then save. then you hidden wifi will connect

Reactions: Lokotito

Stephinsiby1234

Jan 25, 2020
    Thanks @Zakaryan2004 for posting this ROM , I flashed this ROM on my J500F , it works fine ,
    I need your help . how to fix the brightness issue .?please tell me it in detail . other than the brightness issue ,the ROM is great for my device .

BladeRunnerA2C

May 14, 2018
    Thakurgaon
    m.me
    If you are on >=Oreo you are on mm fw

Thanks for the reply,,
    Sorry for that noob question, I'm new to Samsung

Sent from my Xperia 1 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Yep you should have been updated your phone to marshmallows stock before all
    If you flashed lineage os 16 before and it booted you can flash this too!
    Btw use correct twrp(mentioned at op)

Before I flashed LOS16 I was on official Marshmallow so as OP said it's suitable and I'm using the latest official TWRP available for J5

Sent from my Xperia 1 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      2okPze5.png

LineageOS 17.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
      LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

Code:
      ** Disclaimer
      I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
         phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
          world as we know it. You have been warned.

ROM Information

• ROM Target Device: Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J5008 | SM-J500H | SM-J500F/G/M/Y | SM-J500FN
      • ROM Status: Beta
      • ROM OS: LineageOS 17.1

What works
      * RIL (in-call audio, messaging, data)
      * Bluetooth
      * WiFi
      * Audio (music, etc)
      * Camera (including video recording)
      * Flash
      * Sensors
      * GPS
      * Brightness controls
      * NFC
      * Bluetooth audio

What doesn't work
      * Bluetooth audio(an easy workaround can be found below) Fixed
      * KeyDisabler (read below) Removed
      * VoLTE, this will never work on AOSP as it's not easy to implement Samsung's proprietary implementation.

Workarounds:
      * Bluetooth Audio
      To fix BT Audio on a Bluetooth headset, first connect to the device and after connecting press the gear icon near it. You should see a screen with 3 toggles(Phone calls, Media audio, Contact sharing), untoggle Phone calls and Contact sharing, leaving only Media audio on. After this you should be able to listen to media with bt headphones.

Play Store not showing some apps
      You can avoid this bug by adding ro.opengles.version=196608 to your build.prop and rebooting. Make sure to clean Play Store app data.

KeyDisabler
      The Navigation bar toggle in Settings>System>Buttons will cause touch screen not work after a reboot until the screen is timed out. This means that after rebooting your device you should let the screen turn off itself and then turn it off again to be able to unlock it.
      Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmwares or recovery images!
      Code:
      [B]SM-J500F/G/M/Y[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5lte[/B][/COLOR]
      [B]SM-J5008[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5ltechn[/B][/COLOR]
      [B]SM-J500FN[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5nlte[/B][/COLOR]
      [B]SM-J500H[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j53gxx[/B][/COLOR]

Downloads
      ROM Download: here
      OpenGApps Download: here

Installation
      Install the latest version(R10.1 or later) of OrangeFox(recommended, download here) or TWRP 3.3.1 or later
      Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
      Make a full wipe(System, Data, Cache)
      * If you are already running LineageOS 16.0(by Galaxy-MSM8916) you can make a dirty flash(flash the build and the Android 10 GApps) but a wipe is recommended
      Download the latest build and transfer it to your phone
      Flash the zip
      If you are installing GApps do it before booting to the ROM. Make sure to flash the correct architecture and version(arm 10.0)
      And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimizes all the apps

There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 17.1, these are not bugs, this is a beta release.
      You should provide logs when reporting any hardware-related issue.

How to provide logcats

Under Windows:

Code:
      [B]* Install samsung device drivers and then
       the adb utils from here:[/B]

[url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979[/url]

[b]* Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
       and from [B]cmd[/B] paste this command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your desktop.[/b]

Under Linux:

Code:
      [b]* Install the adb utils from your distribution's
       package manager and execute the command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > ~/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your home directory.[/b]

* Submit the logcat here on the forums, or on the Telegram group.

* If you cant connect the device through adb on windows because the drivers, connect the device over wifi, enable adb over network in developer options, and type:

Code:
      adb connect [ip address here]

And then the adb logcat command for windows.

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported Magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications.

Credits
      I would like to everyone who has helped me throughout the whole process of making Q for J5, included but not limited to those people:

jenslody for doing the Q bringup, making it boot, fixing most of the bugs, and for everything else he has done to the development!
      Galaxy-MSM8916 team for our base trees.
      SebaUbuntu for finally fixing NFC on j5nlte and for every other fix he has provided!
      Soft-Bullet for suggesting Camera fix.
      All of the testers who have willingly tested the builds.
      And to everyone else who has done even the slightest for the project.

Source code
      Kernel source code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_kernel_samsung_msm8916
      ROM Source code: https://github.com/LineageOS
      Device trees: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_device_samsung_msm8916-common

XDA:DevDB Information
      LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5(2015), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
      Zakaryan2004
      ROM OS Version: Android 10
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
      ROM Firmware Required: >= Marshmallow 6.0

Version Information

Created 2020-01-22
      Last Updated 2020-01-22
      A new update for LineageOS 17.1 for Galaxy J5 is now available!

After a long break on the updates, Galaxy-MSM8916 is back up again, with 17.1 builds rolling, thanks to everyone for our hard work and spent time.

Changelog:
      June security patch, with latest LineageOS changes (cool ones!)
      Fixed Bluetooth Audio
      OpenGLES(e.g. Play Store app compatibility check) and other build prop issues have been properly fixed instead of hardcoding.
      Thermal HAL should now work properly
      Snap should be included instead of Camera2.
      Wallpaper flicker issue when transitioning from Doze to Lock screen should be fixed.
      MIDI should now work
      Touch HAL and KeyDisabler have been removed, as those are too buggy and cause other bugs, even when the feature isn't being used.
      Cleanups in device trees, maybe some performance improvements.
      Much more I don't remember.

Expect to see more updates coming, as the massive bringups and preparations are finished on Galaxy-MSM8916, and everything is now ready.
      Download links are updated on the OP.
      LineageOS 17.1 Go builds will come a bit later.
      If there is anything broken in this build, feel free to report!
      A new LineageOS 17.1 build for Galaxy J5 has been released.

Changelog:
      Latest LineageOS source
      Fixed OpenGLES value (Play Store issues)
      - If you still don't have some apps on the Play Store, clear Play Store's data.

If you have found any bugs, don't forget to report them here!
      New LineageOS 17.1 update for Galaxy J5 (2015) is out!

Changelog:
      - Merged new LineageOS changes (expect new features and bug fixes)
      - Fixed Miracast
      - Fixed 2nd SIM In-call Audio
      - NFC and DRM issues have been thoroughly fixed! (Thanks to SebaUbuntu for this amazing contribution)
      - Rounded corner animation has been disabled(less lag on gestures)
      - KeyDisabler has been added, meaning you can now see Navigation bar toggle in Settings>System>Buttons (beware, known bugs)
      - Button backlight options have been removed from Settings>System>Buttons
      - OpenGLES version flag has temporarily been hardcoded (Play Store will work properly now, clear Play Store data if it doesn't)

Known bugs:
      - The Navigation bar toggle will cause touch screen not work after a reboot until the screen is timed out. This means that after rebooting your device you should let the screen turn off itself and then turn it off again to be able to unlock it.

As always, download from the links in OP.