[UNOFFICIAL][BETA][Q][ROM]LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5 [J500H/FN/F/G/M/Y/8]

qscesza

Oct 19, 2018
Hi...
Thanks for developing this ROM.. I installed this ROM for J500H ... almost everything works fine ... except:

-If WiFi name is hidden, it can not be connected to it (even by marking the hidden option in advance option)

- Sometimes it does not recognize the second SIM card after restarting ... If Restarting for the second time! , solves the problem.

- The option (setting>apps>change storage) does not exist and has been removed ... Why?

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
J500F(j5lte), latest TWRP, low volume

Thank you for the ROM, I've had a terrible time trying to flash others for some reason (screen artifacts and some other problems), and this worked perfectly with the addition of allowing me to use an SD card as internal storage (couldn't with stock).

I've noticed the device's max volume is lower than the stock (android 6), it seems that videos/music sound much more quiet even when the multimedia volume bar is at full, is it a bug, or is it a just a matter of a simple fix?

Model: J500F (j5lte)
Recovery: TWRP 3.4.0
open GApps: Mini or Micro (one of them wasn't able to install because of size).
ROM version: lineage-17.1-20200826-NIGHTLY-j5lte
Are you able to use mobile data though? I just can't get it to work on my J500F.

Update: Don't bother. I got it to work. Check my post on the previous page if you want to know how.

Last edited:

zeusalmighty717

Jan 25, 2021
I can't connect to the device using usb. Is this a known issue?
I can connect to adb using wireless debugging. In usb Preferences - everything is disabled and no data transfer is selected. I cant change usb options.

Shadow__dgrt

Jul 17, 2020
Even i am having the same issue, when i install some basic apps like whatsapp and insta it works fine for initial 2-3 days then starts to hang. Even i didnt flash the recovery.img and booloader.img provided in downloads. @Zakaryan2004 pls do help me i am in need and need phone to be properly functional. I was thinking reason for more ram consumption is cause its android 10 but it turned out same in stock rom also and as a matter of fact this is the only functional rom for this device, i really thank u for that @Zakaryan2004 . If flashing of recovery and bootloader is a must pls do let me know. Again a load thanks to u
I got this issue solved by using magisk edexposed and greenify. now its highly smooth, thanks for this rom again

hjsuffolk18

Jan 3, 2021
I have just compiled a new version of this rom thanks to the sources being available. The only difference is the boot animation (Custom Samsung Boot Animation in place of default one) and the default wallpaper. Other than that it is stock lineage, and I have made provision to provide updates over the air. Would anyone be willing to test this by any chance?

Note: this is for the J5NLTE Varient Only.

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
Hello guys can anyone guide me after i installed this rom , how can i root this rom
1. Extract 'boot.img" from the .zip file of this ROM.
2. Download and install (preferably the latest version of) Magisk Manager from "magiskmanager.com".
3. Once you're done installing it, open the app. You'll see two options(first- 'Magisk', second- 'Manager') . Tap 'install' in front of the first option.
4. Now you'll see a menu. Tap on "Select and patch a file", and then tap on "Let's Go".
5. Look for the boot.img file that you extracted before, and select it. Magisk Manager will patch it and save it to a location.
6. Boot into TWRP recovery, and tap "install". Tap on "install image" at the bottom. Now look for the file that Magisk Manager patched and saved, and select it.
7. Swipe to flash. When it's done, wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot into system.

That's it!

This is how I did it on my J500F.

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
Is it possible to pass the SafetyNet check on this ROM (after rooting with Magisk)? If yes, please assist me in doing so. Thanks in advance.

r0mushii

Jan 13, 2019
Is it possible to pass the SafetyNet check on this ROM (after rooting with Magisk)? If yes, please assist me in doing so. Thanks in advance.
use magiskhide props config from the magisk repo(its in the app under modules) to pass cts tests. see the module's readme on how to use it
if both basicintegrity and cts failed, check if magiskhide is enabled in settings and check safetynet again. if it still fails, make sure youre not using any hacks that tampers directly with the framework/system(i.e. xposed)

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
use magiskhide props config from the magisk repo(its in the app under modules) to pass cts tests. see the module's readme on how to use it
if both basicintegrity and cts failed, check if magiskhide is enabled in settings and check safetynet again. if it still fails, make sure youre not using any hacks that tampers directly with the framework/system(i.e. xposed)
Okay. Thanks a lot! I'll try this.

Update: This worked perfectly. All I had to do was change the device fingerprint to Samsung J5 (2015). Thank you very much!

Last edited:

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
I'd like to report a bug. The system audio player does not display the played audio correctly. Apps that use their own audio player (such as spotify) work fine but apps that rely on the system player such as some audio editing apps (such as this one- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appzcloud.audioeditor)
suffer from this bug.

Audio plays correctly but the playback indicator just keeps repeating itself between 00:00 and 00:01. This also occurs in the audio editing app I mentioned above, hence making it impossible to correctly edit it.

Is someone aware of this, and is there a workaround, or can another audio player be flashed to replace the built in audio player?

Update: This also happens while playing videos in the built-in gallery app, but even the video doesn't play correctly. It gets stuck after 1-2 seconds, and then just the audio keeps playing. Also, the playback indicator is just fine in the notifications area.

I'm on a J500F

Last edited:

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
I can't connect to the device using usb. Is this a known issue?
I can connect to adb using wireless debugging. In usb Preferences - everything is disabled and no data transfer is selected. I cant change usb options.
I am on a J500F and regularly transfer data over USB cables. I do not experience this issue. Maybe you should try turning off developer options and then back again(by tapping "build number" multiple times).

A while ago I turned off WiFi scan throttling in developer options and then WiFi would not connect unless I would deliberately go into WiFi settings. I then turned WiFi scan throttling back on but the issue persisted. I had to clean flash and it works fine now.

So, maybe, there's a bug in developer settings and perhaps you'll have to clean flash as a last resort.

Jeremito1

Apr 9, 2020
Venezuela
I have just compiled a new version of this rom thanks to the sources being available. The only difference is the boot animation (Custom Samsung Boot Animation in place of default one) and the default wallpaper. Other than that it is stock lineage, and I have made provision to provide updates over the air. Would anyone be willing to test this by any chance?

You can also make one for the j5lteCan you make one for the j5lte too? pls

Shadow__dgrt

Jul 17, 2020
hey i have already used this rom for more than 8 months now and am really pleased with it. Just faced a bug recently that device is unable to recognise 5ghz wifi can someone suggest any fix pls

Shadow__dgrt

Jul 17, 2020
For some reason, Mobile Data only works sometimes on my J500F (j5lte). Most of the time, when I turn data on, it just displays a little cross beside the signal bar, just like when it is off. I have not found any specific pattern of when it works and when it doesn't. For reference, I am using an Airtel (India) SIM card and calling and messaging works perfectly fine. The ROM is solid except for this one thing. Please help me fix it.

Alright! I fixed it. Here's what I did.
1. Clean wiped everything including modem (except SD card).
2. Flashed Stock ROM (Marshmallow)
3. Checked if SIM worked. It did. Noted APN settings.
4. Flashed recovery to TWRP.
5. Clean wiped, just the 5 options from the top.
6. Flashed this ROM.
7. Flashed GApps (Pico) without booting first.
8. Booted the phone.
9. Phone couldn't connect to mobile network during initial setup. So, skipped that part.
10. Created new APN with the noted settings, and activated it.
11. Mobile Data worked!

Now you might think that all that I did was change the APN settings. However, I had tried setting the APN multiple times when I had flashed this ROM before. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It does now. So, yeah.

I guess some ROM must have messed up my modem (?)

Thanks by the way, this ROM is awesome.
hey even i am facing the same problem, ya its true that some rom has messed with my modem files also but when i flash the stock rom even still am unable to connect to internet,
could i be provided with modem tar file pls so that i can reset it completely

Apr 27, 2019

Could someone please make this rom compatible for J500F because I use it as my personal phone?
Or someone tells me how to do it
Thank you!

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
hey even i am facing the same problem, ya its true that some rom has messed with my modem files also but when i flash the stock rom even still am unable to connect to internet,
could i be provided with modem tar file pls so that i can reset it completely
PLEASE NOTE: I am not a professional/developer. In fact I am new to XDA. I just came here to get an upgrade for my phone, and I was not disappointed :) .Therefore, all I state is based solely on my personal experience.

So, before doing what I stated in my post, I tried to flash just the "modem.bin" file from my stock J500F ROM using Odin. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem.

By the way, do you have the stock ROM (the original Samsung Touchwiz ROM) for your phone? If yes, you can extract the files you need(including modem.bin) from the stock ROM using 7zip.

Also, be aware that for some reason, you won't be able to flash the modem file using the latest version of Odin. I had to use Odin 3.07 to flash mine and could not flash it using Odin 3.14.1.
Further, I can give the files to you but please make sure your phone is the same model as mine(J500F) before flashing. If not, you will have to find the stock firmware for your model and extract modem from that. However, as I said, flashing just the modem did not work for me (it might just work for you though :) ).
If you want me to share the files nonetheless, would you like me to e-mail the files to you? Send me a message about it.

Also, if this doesn't work, do what I did. Wipe Dalvik/ART Cache, Data, Internal Storage, Cache, System from recovery, also wipe the modem. Now flash the Stock ROM. Check if Mobile Data works and please note your APN settings if it works. Now, if it works, flash Lineage OS again, and enter your APN settings.

By the way, are you saying that for you, Mobile Data doesn't work EVEN ON THE STOCK ROM?

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
I'd like to report a bug. The system audio player does not display the played audio correctly. Apps that use their own audio player (such as spotify) work fine but apps that rely on the system player such as some audio editing apps (such as this one- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appzcloud.audioeditor)
suffer from this bug.

Audio plays correctly but the playback indicator just keeps repeating itself between 00:00 and 00:01. This also occurs in the audio editing app I mentioned above, hence making it impossible to correctly edit it.

Is someone aware of this, and is there a workaround, or can another audio player be flashed to replace the built in audio player?

Update: This also happens while playing videos in the built-in gallery app, but even the video doesn't play correctly. It gets stuck after 1-2 seconds, and then just the audio keeps playing. Also, the playback indicator is just fine in the notifications area.

I'm on a J500F
It appears that this problem is specific to my device. Does anyone else experience this bug?