• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[UNOFFICIAL][BETA][Q][ROM]LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5 [J500H/FN/F/G/M/Y/8]

Search This thread

Shadow__dgrt

Jul 17, 2020
PLEASE NOTE: I am not a professional/developer. In fact I am new to XDA. I just came here to get an upgrade for my phone, and I was not disappointed :) .Therefore, all I state is based solely on my personal experience.

So, before doing what I stated in my post, I tried to flash just the "modem.bin" file from my stock J500F ROM using Odin. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem.

By the way, do you have the stock ROM (the original Samsung Touchwiz ROM) for your phone? If yes, you can extract the files you need(including modem.bin) from the stock ROM using 7zip.

Also, be aware that for some reason, you won't be able to flash the modem file using the latest version of Odin. I had to use Odin 3.07 to flash mine and could not flash it using Odin 3.14.1.
Further, I can give the files to you but please make sure your phone is the same model as mine(J500F) before flashing. If not, you will have to find the stock firmware for your model and extract modem from that. However, as I said, flashing just the modem did not work for me (it might just work for you though :) ).
If you want me to share the files nonetheless, would you like me to e-mail the files to you? Send me a message about it.

Also, if this doesn't work, do what I did. Wipe Dalvik/ART Cache, Data, Internal Storage, Cache, System from recovery, also wipe the modem. Now flash the Stock ROM. Check if Mobile Data works and please note your APN settings if it works. Now, if it works, flash Lineage OS again, and enter your APN settings.

By the way, are you saying that for you, Mobile Data doesn't work EVEN ON THE STOCK ROM?
Well u dont look as a newbie to xda u seem to have a lot of knowledge. I did understand ur method but just choose a different way, i.e, i had made a nandroid backup of my stock rom prehead to flashing lineage 17 so what i did now was just restored the modem files from the backup and still nothing seemed to work. Funny fact, i later realized that my sim itself is down cause other operator sims were working fine when i checked. Even i am from india having a bugged up sim of idea 😓.
Well i guess i can help u about audio issue ur facing. Just ensure that audio files ur playing is .mp3 and not .m4a or any else format, if u want to use formats other than .mp3 i would suggest u to download vlc media player(works pretty fine). But if ur facing problem with .mp3 files also then the problem is unique to ur device cause in mine its fine.(mine is also J500F)
Also a load tnx to @Zakaryan2004 due to him my this device out from garbage is usuable for daily purposes now, really very happy.
And dude an advice from my side, sharing of gmails and personel info on any forums is not recommended as for security concerns.

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
Well u dont look as a newbie to xda u seem to have a lot of knowledge. I did understand ur method but just choose a different way, i.e, i had made a nandroid backup of my stock rom prehead to flashing lineage 17 so what i did now was just restored the modem files from the backup and still nothing seemed to work. Funny fact, i later realized that my sim itself is down cause other operator sims were working fine when i checked. Even i am from india having a bugged up sim of idea 😓.
Well i guess i can help u about audio issue ur facing. Just ensure that audio files ur playing is .mp3 and not .m4a or any else format, if u want to use formats other than .mp3 i would suggest u to download vlc media player(works pretty fine). But if ur facing problem with .mp3 files also then the problem is unique to ur device cause in mine its fine.(mine is also J500F)
Also a load tnx to @Zakaryan2004 due to him my this device out from garbage is usuable for daily purposes now, really very happy.
And dude an advice from my side, sharing of gmails and personel info on any forums is not recommended as for security concerns.
Oh never mind then :) it's just your SIM card. As for the audio bug, yes, I've been using VLC as a workaround, but I think audio editors from play store just use the system player, so the bug persists while trying to edit audio.

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
I don't know if anyone else faces this, but out of the many times I flashed this ROM on my J500F mobile data only fully worked once. The method I posted here some days ago doesn't work except for that one time.

Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. This is what I do everytime- flash the ROM, flash GApps(Pico), boot to system, complete the initial setup using WiFi, go to mobile network and set the APN (that works on the stock ROM or Touchwiz based custom ROMs).

Mobile data then works for a while until I turn it off. If I turn it back on immediately , it works, but if I put the phone away with the mobile data turned off for some time, and then turn it on afterwards, it doesn't work. The cross disappears from the signal bar but "LTE" doesn't appear. To fix this, I make a random change in the APN, save it, and then undo that change. Mobile data then works until the next time I turn it off for a while. It is quite annoying to do this everytime I want to use mobile data. Please help.

Last edited:

Swarmdog

Mar 9, 2021
Hi! I don't have that problem but a similar one. I have a J500M, and the internet connection goes away when the phone is sleeping. This is made evident by whatsapp web which says it can't connect to the phone, also Protonmail app, if it was opened when the phone went to sleep shows a connection error message.

I also seem to miss calls.

Is there a way we can help with this? The ROM is incredible except for this detail. It's brought new life to this phone. Thank you!

Shadow__dgrt

Jul 17, 2020
But am facing another prop, when i keep the phone in vibration mode it never vibrates for notifications of any app (dnd, digital wellbeing all are turned off) but it does vibrate only for calls, but even the vibration intensity for calls is also too low can never be felt, in stock rom it used vibrate better.
Is anyone else also facing it and does anyone have any solution plzzz

.apoorv.

Sep 12, 2020
I don't know if anyone else faces this, but out of the many times I flashed this ROM on my J500F mobile data only fully worked once. The method I posted here some days ago doesn't work except for that one time.

Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. This is what I do everytime- flash the ROM, flash GApps(Pico), boot to system, complete the initial setup using WiFi, go to mobile network and set the APN (that works on the stock ROM or Touchwiz based custom ROMs).

Mobile data then works for a while until I turn it off. If I turn it back on immediately , it works, but if I put the phone away with the mobile data turned off for some time, and then turn it on afterwards, it doesn't work. The cross disappears from the signal bar but "LTE" doesn't appear. To fix this, I make a random change in the APN, save it, and then undo that change. Mobile data then works until the next time I turn it off for a while. It is quite annoying to do this everytime I want to use mobile data. Please help.
Conclusion: Don't wipe system!

• Haha
Reactions: Shadow__dgrt

Mandrahh

Apr 13, 2021
Hola, soy nuevo y tengo un par de preguntas... no entendi del todo que es lo que no funciona hasta ahora en este ROM, y queria saber si queda operativo en cuando a red movil y datos x ejemplo, soy de argentina y quiero ponerle movistar (es personal el telefono) un SM-J500M, cualquier dato que me puedan dar desde ya gracias!

PD: estaría bueno un tutorial xq flashee antes teléfonos pero anduve 3 años de mochilero y no me acuerdo xD

MOD EDIT (Translation):

Hello, I am new and I have a couple of questions ... I did not fully understand what does not work so far in this ROM, and I wanted to know if it is operational in terms of mobile network and data x example, I am from Argentina and I want put a mobile phone (the phone is personal) a SM-J500M, any information you can give me from now, thank you!

PS: a tutorial would be good xq flashed before phones but I was backpacking for 3 years and I don't remember xD

Last edited by a moderator:

VovoKrall

Mar 11, 2011
It works fine most of time, but it stutters (pretty bad) randomly.

EDIT: it seems the stutter is caused by Magisk. Some say enabling magisk core mode only fix this issue, but this option is not easily available anymore. I reinstalled LOS17.1 yesterday with no root this time and it's running fine for this time being. PS: is there another root method besides Magisk?

Last edited:

VovoKrall

Mar 11, 2011
Hola, soy nuevo y tengo un par de preguntas... no entendi del todo que es lo que no funciona hasta ahora en este ROM, y queria saber si queda operativo en cuando a red movil y datos x ejemplo, soy de argentina y quiero ponerle movistar (es personal el telefono) un SM-J500M, cualquier dato que me puedan dar desde ya gracias!

PD: estaría bueno un tutorial xq flashee antes teléfonos pero anduve 3 años de mochilero y no me acuerdo xD

MOD EDIT (Translation):

Hello, I am new and I have a couple of questions ... I did not fully understand what does not work so far in this ROM, and I wanted to know if it is operational in terms of mobile network and data x example, I am from Argentina and I want put a mobile phone (the phone is personal) a SM-J500M, any information you can give me from now, thank you!

PS: a tutorial would be good xq flashed before phones but I was backpacking for 3 years and I don't remember xD
I'm from Brazil and it's working just fine for a daily driver. WiFi, GPS, 3G etc
It's not as fast as this ROM, but it's not slow at all. If you are like, who prefer AOSP, install LOS, but if you have no issue with Samsung Experience interface, you should go with SEPerience-ROM A8 2018 Port

ap4ss3rby

Sep 9, 2015
This ROM is running very well without gAPPS. For my use case I can't believe how smooth this is running for the fact that the phone is a sd410 device with 1.5gb of ram. So much so that this rom deserves a STABLE tag. Unless there are other minor bugs.

Reactions: Rika_san

Rika_san

Jun 23, 2021
LineageOS
2okPze5.png

LineageOS 17.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

Code:
** Disclaimer
I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
   phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
    world as we know it. You have been warned.

ROM Information

What works

* RIL (in-call audio, messaging, data)
* Bluetooth
* WiFi
* Audio (music, etc)
* Camera (including video recording)
* Flash
* Sensors
* GPS
* Brightness controls
* NFC
* Bluetooth audio

What doesn't work
* Bluetooth audio(an easy workaround can be found below) Fixed
* KeyDisabler (read below) Removed
* VoLTE, this will never work on AOSP as it's not easy to implement Samsung's proprietary implementation.

Workarounds:
* Bluetooth Audio
To fix BT Audio on a Bluetooth headset, first connect to the device and after connecting press the gear icon near it. You should see a screen with 3 toggles(Phone calls, Media audio, Contact sharing), untoggle Phone calls and Contact sharing, leaving only Media audio on. After this you should be able to listen to media with bt headphones.

Play Store not showing some apps
You can avoid this bug by adding ro.opengles.version=196608 to your build.prop and rebooting. Make sure to clean Play Store app data.

KeyDisabler
The Navigation bar toggle in Settings>System>Buttons will cause touch screen not work after a reboot until the screen is timed out. This means that after rebooting your device you should let the screen turn off itself and then turn it off again to be able to unlock it.
Device Names

Downloads
ROM Download: here
OpenGApps Download: here

Installation
Install the latest version(R10.1 or later) of OrangeFox(recommended, download here) or TWRP 3.3.1 or later
Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
Make a full wipe(System, Data, Cache)
* If you are already running LineageOS 16.0(by Galaxy-MSM8916) you can make a dirty flash(flash the build and the Android 10 GApps) but a wipe is recommended
Download the latest build and transfer it to your phone
Flash the zip
If you are installing GApps do it before booting to the ROM. Make sure to flash the correct architecture and version(arm 10.0)
And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimizes all the apps

There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 17.1, these are not bugs, this is a beta release.
You should provide logs when reporting any hardware-related issue.

How to provide logcats

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported Magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications.

Credits
I would like to everyone who has helped me throughout the whole process of making Q for J5, included but not limited to those people:

jenslody for doing the Q bringup, making it boot, fixing most of the bugs, and for everything else he has done to the development!
Galaxy-MSM8916 team for our base trees.
SebaUbuntu for finally fixing NFC on j5nlte and for every other fix he has provided!
Soft-Bullet for suggesting Camera fix.
All of the testers who have willingly tested the builds.
And to everyone else who has done even the slightest for the project.

Source code
Kernel source code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_kernel_samsung_msm8916
ROM Source code: https://github.com/LineageOS
Device trees: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_device_samsung_msm8916-common

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5(2015), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
Zakaryan2004
ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
ROM Firmware Required: >= Marshmallow 6.0

Version Information
Beta

Created 2020-01-22
Last Updated 2020-01-22
can i use it for j5ltexx model ?

Thomas131

Dec 18, 2017
@Zakaryan2004
Encryption should be added to What doesn't work. It nearly instantly puts the phone into a bootloop without anything beeing encrypted.

I fixed the bootloop (since my backup was broken). I tried a lot, but I think the fix was deleting /data/misc/vold/convert_fde and maybe various other TWRP repair functions.

But thanks A LOT for the ROM, its amazing!!

Vyorrel

Feb 5, 2018
Samsung Galaxy J5
Redmi 9
ok so i used this rom on a J500F for like 2 weeks and i let you know the problems:
-Wifi is not that stable,, i turn it on, it recognizes my router but it connects so slow/ it doesn't connect at all so i need to turn it off then on
-Sometimes the battery just drains for no reason (13% in 7 hours of sleep)
-There is a problem with formating sd card as internal, i installed some apps on sd card then rebooted and i got stuck in bootloop and i needed to factory reset from TWRP recovery

i think that's all, i dont really care that much about that problems because i got a new phone (Xiaomi Redmi 9)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS 17.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

Code:
    ** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
       phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
        world as we know it. You have been warned.

ROM Information

• ROM Target Device: Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J5008 | SM-J500H | SM-J500F/G/M/Y | SM-J500FN
    • ROM Status: Beta
    • ROM OS: LineageOS 17.1

What works
    * RIL (in-call audio, messaging, data)
    * Bluetooth
    * WiFi
    * Audio (music, etc)
    * Camera (including video recording)
    * Flash
    * Sensors
    * GPS
    * Brightness controls
    * NFC
    * Bluetooth audio

What doesn't work
    * Bluetooth audio(an easy workaround can be found below) Fixed
    * KeyDisabler (read below) Removed
    * VoLTE, this will never work on AOSP as it's not easy to implement Samsung's proprietary implementation.

Workarounds:
    * Bluetooth Audio
    To fix BT Audio on a Bluetooth headset, first connect to the device and after connecting press the gear icon near it. You should see a screen with 3 toggles(Phone calls, Media audio, Contact sharing), untoggle Phone calls and Contact sharing, leaving only Media audio on. After this you should be able to listen to media with bt headphones.

Play Store not showing some apps
    You can avoid this bug by adding ro.opengles.version=196608 to your build.prop and rebooting. Make sure to clean Play Store app data.

KeyDisabler
    The Navigation bar toggle in Settings>System>Buttons will cause touch screen not work after a reboot until the screen is timed out. This means that after rebooting your device you should let the screen turn off itself and then turn it off again to be able to unlock it.
    Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmwares or recovery images!
    Code:
    [B]SM-J500F/G/M/Y[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5lte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J5008[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5ltechn[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J500FN[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5nlte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J500H[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j53gxx[/B][/COLOR]

Downloads
    ROM Download: here
    OpenGApps Download: here

Installation
    Install the latest version(R10.1 or later) of OrangeFox(recommended, download here) or TWRP 3.3.1 or later
    Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
    Make a full wipe(System, Data, Cache)
    * If you are already running LineageOS 16.0(by Galaxy-MSM8916) you can make a dirty flash(flash the build and the Android 10 GApps) but a wipe is recommended
    Download the latest build and transfer it to your phone
    Flash the zip
    If you are installing GApps do it before booting to the ROM. Make sure to flash the correct architecture and version(arm 10.0)
    And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimizes all the apps

There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 17.1, these are not bugs, this is a beta release.
    You should provide logs when reporting any hardware-related issue.

How to provide logcats

Under Windows:

Code:
    [B]* Install samsung device drivers and then
     the adb utils from here:[/B]

[url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979[/url]

[b]* Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
     and from [B]cmd[/B] paste this command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]then try to reproduce the bug.[/b]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your desktop.[/b]

Under Linux:

Code:
    [b]* Install the adb utils from your distribution's
     package manager and execute the command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > ~/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]then try to reproduce the bug.[/b]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your home directory.[/b]

* Submit the logcat here on the forums, or on the Telegram group.

* If you cant connect the device through adb on windows because the drivers, connect the device over wifi, enable adb over network in developer options, and type:

Code:
    adb connect [ip address here]

And then the adb logcat command for windows.

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported Magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications.

Credits
    I would like to everyone who has helped me throughout the whole process of making Q for J5, included but not limited to those people:

jenslody for doing the Q bringup, making it boot, fixing most of the bugs, and for everything else he has done to the development!
    Galaxy-MSM8916 team for our base trees.
    SebaUbuntu for finally fixing NFC on j5nlte and for every other fix he has provided!
    Soft-Bullet for suggesting Camera fix.
    All of the testers who have willingly tested the builds.
    And to everyone else who has done even the slightest for the project.

Source code
    Kernel source code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_kernel_samsung_msm8916
    ROM Source code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    Device trees: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_device_samsung_msm8916-common

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 17.1 Beta for Galaxy J5(2015), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    Zakaryan2004
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: >= Marshmallow 6.0

Version Information

Created 2020-01-22
    Last Updated 2020-01-22
    A new update for LineageOS 17.1 for Galaxy J5 is now available!

After a long break on the updates, Galaxy-MSM8916 is back up again, with 17.1 builds rolling, thanks to everyone for our hard work and spent time.

Changelog:
    June security patch, with latest LineageOS changes (cool ones!)
    Fixed Bluetooth Audio
    OpenGLES(e.g. Play Store app compatibility check) and other build prop issues have been properly fixed instead of hardcoding.
    Thermal HAL should now work properly
    Snap should be included instead of Camera2.
    Wallpaper flicker issue when transitioning from Doze to Lock screen should be fixed.
    MIDI should now work
    Touch HAL and KeyDisabler have been removed, as those are too buggy and cause other bugs, even when the feature isn't being used.
    Cleanups in device trees, maybe some performance improvements.
    Much more I don't remember.

Expect to see more updates coming, as the massive bringups and preparations are finished on Galaxy-MSM8916, and everything is now ready.
    Download links are updated on the OP.
    LineageOS 17.1 Go builds will come a bit later.
    If there is anything broken in this build, feel free to report!
    A new LineageOS 17.1 build for Galaxy J5 has been released.

Changelog:
    Latest LineageOS source
    Fixed OpenGLES value (Play Store issues)
    - If you still don't have some apps on the Play Store, clear Play Store's data.

If you have found any bugs, don't forget to report them here!
    New LineageOS 17.1 update for Galaxy J5 (2015) is out!

Changelog:
    - Merged new LineageOS changes (expect new features and bug fixes)
    - Fixed Miracast
    - Fixed 2nd SIM In-call Audio
    - NFC and DRM issues have been thoroughly fixed! (Thanks to SebaUbuntu for this amazing contribution)
    - Rounded corner animation has been disabled(less lag on gestures)
    - KeyDisabler has been added, meaning you can now see Navigation bar toggle in Settings>System>Buttons (beware, known bugs)
    - Button backlight options have been removed from Settings>System>Buttons
    - OpenGLES version flag has temporarily been hardcoded (Play Store will work properly now, clear Play Store data if it doesn't)

Known bugs:
    - The Navigation bar toggle will cause touch screen not work after a reboot until the screen is timed out. This means that after rebooting your device you should let the screen turn off itself and then turn it off again to be able to unlock it.

As always, download from the links in OP.