[UNOFFICIAL] Guide to getting Android 12 on guamp devices [Moto G9 / G9 Play / G9 Power]

Search This thread
Code:
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

So first this first a little explanation. There aren't any device specific roms for the Moto G9 family, and im too lazy to learn how to.

HOWEVER, luckily for us, the G9 is a Project Treble compatible device! This means that it can flash and boot Generic System Images (GSI). These roms are device unspecific and can be booted on any android device which came with Android 10+. For more info click here. The long and short of it means we have a path to get to Android 12. I used the Pixel Experience ROM, but you can use any GSI Rom as long as you select one that uses the a/b partition scheme - Links to some other ones at the bottom

The only issue I have come across so far is NFC not working. If I get it working I will update this thread

ENSURE YOU ARE USING A USB C TO USB A CABLE
otherwise you will run into weird errors installing larger roms

Flash TWRP Recovery

Power + Volume Down to get to Bootloader.
Code:
fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot flash recovery (Path to twrp)
fastboot reboot

As soon as you reboot hold power + volume down to get to bootloader and select recovery. If it boots twrp, congrats it worked

Flash ROM

Power + Volume Down to get to Bootloader.
Code:
fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot erase system
fastboot delete-logical-partition product_a
fastboot flash system (Path to rom)
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot
TWRP
ROM
(or any other gsi rom of your choice - link)

Last edited:

Zternocleidomastoid

May 17, 2022
I am interested in the topic of the GSI, I have a concern.
Have you tried the GSI's that Google uploads on its developers page? Are they as functional as the GSI's published on GitHub?
It is that I am interested in these GSI, I have investigated and nobody talks about them except for Google itself.