• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Unofficial][Joan] TWRP 3.2.1 [Oreo firmware]

Search This thread

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
Introduction

This is a TWRP 3.2.1 build based on an oreo kernel which seems to be required for the oreo firmware of the H930. Currently Im using the kernel from my stock based ROM. In future updates (when i have the time for it, and if its needed) might make it smaller, by removing things like network, wifi and so on drivers. But for now, it works.
The name of the device (which it also checks for if you flash a ROM that has an assert so you wont flash it on the wrong device) is "joan", as thats the official codename of all V30s (inclduing V30S). I decided to that because I want to unite the H930 and US998 development, as the US998 seems to have no problems with H930 roms/kernels.

Bugs/Features

Its basically the same as this TWRP, just newer TWRP version (3.2.1 instead of 3.1.1), newer kernel, and renamed device.
So please for things that dont work go over there. I maybe plan to fix a few things here and there, but its really low priority for now.

Download

FAQ
    • Why is there now a third TWRP Thread?
    • The old recoverys dont boot on the new Oreo firmware. This is an updated version that boots on it.
    • Will this work with the nougat firmware too?
    • I havent tested it, but it should work, as it uses the same kernel as my korean oreo port.
    • Whats so special about the Treblelized version?
    • It can mount/backup/wipe vendor, also flash an image to /vendor. Thats basically it.
    • Can I flash a treblelized ROM with the normal TWRP?
    • Yes, you can. You just need the treblelized TWRP if you want to (nativly) mount vendor, or if you want to backup/wipe vendor.
    • Can't everyone just use the treblelized version?
    • It's specially intended for people who have repartitioned! You can try, but idk what happens on phones that arent repartitioned, and you use this. Beware of unexpected behaviour!

Sources:
https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_joan-twrp
https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_kernel_lge_msm8998

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP - Joan, ROM for the LG V30

Contributors
SGCMarkus
ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created 2018-04-18
Last Updated 2018-04-18

Last edited:

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
maybe a stupid question, but must I flash before the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip ?

Depends on the rom youre using. the Custom Stock based ones have disabled verity/force encryption already built in what i know. If youre using pure stock, you need to do that once (after you change the boot image).
E.g.
Flash stock rom via kdz -> flash recovery -> format data (if it should be encrypted and twrp cant read it) -> flash no verity-opt encrypt -> flash lrcd (or whatever its called, service that checks if you have root or not) -> flash magisk or so -> setup rom
Thats how i did it, but that doesnt really have todo anything with the recovery itself

etheodor

Mar 30, 2006
TWRP

Sorry but I must be doing something wrong or there is a bug as when I install TWRP and I try to access it no matter what I do it always erases everything.
Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: seloka180

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
Sorry but I must be doing something wrong or there is a bug as when I install TWRP and I try to access it no matter what I do it always erases everything.

Thanks

What do you mean by "it erases everything"?
What are the steps you use when you install it?

iRS_

Sep 14, 2010
Bucharest

Thanks
try after you flash it with "fastboot flash recovery xxxxxxxxxxx.img"
to use this "fastboot boot xxxxxxxxxxx.img"

the way taht i managed to acces it is like this
- flash twrp
- power off phone (DO NOT power it on to enter in its rom)
- press power and volume down
- wait for the first "LG V30 ThinQ" logo to appear
- while i HOLD volume down i let the power button go then press it again
- the black text on white background will appear before the screen which says that you have your bootloader unlocked
- select yes using volume buttons
- press power
- then select yes again
- press power and that's it, just wait and it will enter in recovery

Last edited:

etheodor

Mar 30, 2006
TWRP

try after you flash it with "fastboot flash recovery xxxxxxxxxxx.img"
to use this "fastboot boot xxxxxxxxxxx.img"

the way taht i managed to acces it is like this
- flash twrp
- power off phone (DO NOT power it on to enter in its rom)
- press power and volume down
- wait for the first "LG V30 ThinQ" logo to appear
- while i HOLD volume down i let the power button go then press it again
- the black text on white background will appear before the screen which says that you have your bootloader unlocked
- select yes using volume buttons
- press power
- then select yes again
- press power and that's it, just wait and it will enter in recovery

Thanks very much for the reply. I have tried this exact procedure but after the second yes it erases everything on my phone, and I tried this more than once.
What I have not tied is the "fastboot boot xxxxxxxxxxx.img" I will try this too and see what happens. I will let you know. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Thanks very much for the reply. I have tried this exact procedure but after the second yes it erases everything on my phone, and I tried this more than once.
What I have not tied is the "fastboot boot xxxxxxxxxxx.img" I will try this too and see what happens. I will let you know. Thanks again.

I can confirm that "fastboot boot xxxxxxxxxxx.img" is working on my V30 but NOT the key combination

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

I can confirm that "fastboot boot xxxxxxxxxxx.img" is working on my V30 but NOT the key combination

the key combination can be rather tricky, and you need a pretty good timing for it too, i rarely manage it on the first try ?

iRS_

Sep 14, 2010
Bucharest
the key combo sometimes tricked me because the twrp was not properly installed and i ended up erasing everything... i always use fastboot command or TWRP official app to reboot in recovery. those are the safest procedures :)

mauley

Not sure how so many people are having issues with the key combination, it is very easy to do. I have updated to Oreo and have unlocked, installed twrp and rooted it successfully first try.

1. Hold both volume down and power until you see the first logo
2. Let go of power while still holding volume down
3. Press and hold down power again, along with volume down
4. You will be on a white screen
5. Choose yes and yes, you have to do this erase procedure twice
6. After the second erase you should now see the twrp splash screen

That is exactly how i did it and it was successful on the first try. I have tried same procedure again 4 times since and have don 2 of my friends phones, all worked perfectly first time :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

This is a TWRP 3.2.1 build based on an oreo kernel which seems to be required for the oreo firmware of the H930. Currently Im using the kernel from my stock based ROM. In future updates (when i have the time for it, and if its needed) might make it smaller, by removing things like network, wifi and so on drivers. But for now, it works.
    The name of the device (which it also checks for if you flash a ROM that has an assert so you wont flash it on the wrong device) is "joan", as thats the official codename of all V30s (inclduing V30S). I decided to that because I want to unite the H930 and US998 development, as the US998 seems to have no problems with H930 roms/kernels.

Bugs/Features

Its basically the same as this TWRP, just newer TWRP version (3.2.1 instead of 3.1.1), newer kernel, and renamed device.
    So please for things that dont work go over there. I maybe plan to fix a few things here and there, but its really low priority for now.

Download

FAQ
      • Why is there now a third TWRP Thread?
      • The old recoverys dont boot on the new Oreo firmware. This is an updated version that boots on it.
      • Will this work with the nougat firmware too?
      • I havent tested it, but it should work, as it uses the same kernel as my korean oreo port.
      • Whats so special about the Treblelized version?
      • It can mount/backup/wipe vendor, also flash an image to /vendor. Thats basically it.
      • Can I flash a treblelized ROM with the normal TWRP?
      • Yes, you can. You just need the treblelized TWRP if you want to (nativly) mount vendor, or if you want to backup/wipe vendor.
      • Can't everyone just use the treblelized version?
      • It's specially intended for people who have repartitioned! You can try, but idk what happens on phones that arent repartitioned, and you use this. Beware of unexpected behaviour!

Sources:
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_joan-twrp
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_kernel_lge_msm8998

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP - Joan, ROM for the LG V30

Contributors
    SGCMarkus
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created 2018-04-18
    Last Updated 2018-04-18
    ok, the time bug was not acceptable by me xD so i tried to fix it, and it is ok now :) would like to have some feedback from you, because for me the last time clock was one hour off (instead of one and a half year), but for @zacharias.maladroit it was ok. :good: (edith is crying: just tested it again, now it works for me too, timezone is ok)

grab TWRP-3.2.3.0-tfp.img here.

everything is working as it should, incl. time (don't forget to set your timezone). i want to fix encryption too, but this is a harder task than i thought... we'll see, maybe, at some time ;)
    maybe a stupid question, but must I flash before the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip ?

Depends on the rom youre using. the Custom Stock based ones have disabled verity/force encryption already built in what i know. If youre using pure stock, you need to do that once (after you change the boot image).
    E.g.
    Flash stock rom via kdz -> flash recovery -> format data (if it should be encrypted and twrp cant read it) -> flash no verity-opt encrypt -> flash lrcd (or whatever its called, service that checks if you have root or not) -> flash magisk or so -> setup rom
    Thats how i did it, but that doesnt really have todo anything with the recovery itself
    Here is the TWRP Joan 3.2.3.0 with timefix and kdzwriter module integrated mentioned above. Module is accessible / executable via adb or TWRP's integrated terminal. Maybe mainly the modem / bootloader / partition table writing options of kdzwriter are of interest.
    Btw: TWRP now has some mount- and explorable extra partitions, even the seemingly beloved LAF partition is integrated (only for backup and restore, not explore) :silly: don't do bs to it :cowboy: encryption stuff almost completely disabled, this just isn't ready for the moment; it's nice to play with, but nothing i would like to provide support for.

have fun with it :D some info from kdzwriter testers / users would be nice :) it's tested and confirmed working (kdzwriter off), but sry, i'm not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone.
    so nothing special: it just adds this partition for being able to backup, mount or flash it within twrp. no real advantage :D we can enable this partition on v30 too, but on the other side it's not really a partition to play with.

btw: first encryption tests were partially successful. it's a mess to restore a rom with this encryption enabling config, but aosp encrypted (not stock, for now) partitions can be decrypted, backed up, mounted, restored and read in twrp.
    if someone wants to test this, feel free to send me a pm :good:

edit: i'll do a build with this kdz writer included, this really looks interesting :good:

edit2: i'll do a dedicated thread for the new recovery. i'll test this kdzwriter stuff and will post this in about four to five hours. stay tuned :)

edit3: kdzwriter included, works from commandline on phone :)