[UNOFFICIAL]LineageOS-15.1 For Nexus 9 (WIFI) (May 11, 2021)

Search This thread

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
7 people have already downloaded the rom today (April 10) so it's working. Try again later tonight or tomorrow. Maybe the mirror in your country is down or has problems?

intervention408

May 1, 2011
Hi, First of all, thanks for this great ROM. The Tablet is as fast as when I bought it.

I have only one question regarding live display. Should it work like intended or isnt it implemented overall.

It doesn't matter what i choose in "Display Mode" it won't do anything.
"Color temperature" is permanently greyed out, and "advanced" is not accessible at all.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jadelor

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I have only one question regarding live display. Should it work like intended or isnt it implemented overall.

It doesn't matter what i choose in "Display Mode" it won't do anything.
"Color temperature" is permanently greyed out, and "advanced" is not accessible at all.
I'll take a look. I have an idea what might be wrong, but unsure until I actually compile it. If it can be fixed or implemented, it will be added to the April security patches which have yet to be merged into LineageOS officially as per

Reactions: Jadelor

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Okay, I tried adding livedisplay to the manifest.xml and device.mk and compiled it. However, it doesn't add or change anything to the behaviour as described.

Then, I started looking at https://review.lineageos.org/ and people who are more knowledgeable and with more experience with tegra SoC suggest livedisplay isn't all that well supported. I don't know the history of why and the notes left don't go into any details. So I disabled it from the settings now and that will be in the April security patch update.

If the goal of livedisplay is to get blue light filter, there's lots of free no-ad apps that will achieve that. I'm testing one now and it works with 15.1. The hue is definitely reddish.

If you absolutely need livedisplay in LineageOS, try 14.1. If it works in 14.1, then use that. It's not uncommon, as I have experienced building several different roms for different devices over the last 9 months, that what works in the previous version is broken in the next version for whatever reason. And vice versa. What didn't work in the previous version now works in the current version. It's completely frustrating when this happens and it's device specific.

Last edited:

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I forgot to give a real world and recent example. Having livedisplay in the manifest for some of the devices that run LineageOS 18.1 completely prevents the device from booting. These same devices have livedisplay running fine in 17.1.

intervention408

May 1, 2011
I forgot to give a real world and recent example. Having livedisplay in the manifest for some of the devices that run LineageOS 18.1 completely prevents the device from booting. These same devices have livedisplay running fine in 17.1.
Ok I didn't know that livedisplay is such a complicated thing. I really thank you for explaining the subject and looking into it. But honestly, I don't want you do invest time and effort just for me. I installed cflumen, it does what it is supposed to do. Thanks again!

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-15.1-20210415-UNOFFICIAL-flounder.zip

April 15, 2021 release notes
1. Incorporates April 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_build/+/307722
2. Removed livedisplay option from menu as it doesn't work on Nexus 9 Tegra SoC according to those more knowledgeable and experienced than I.
3. I recommend that you wipe cache/dalvik after you flash new build. Supposedly, the Nexus 9 internal flash file system gets slower over time and that wiping the flash and keeping as much free space available helps avoid the slowdown.

diegz

Mar 8, 2011
Milano
Hello! A question not truly related to your ROM:
I was trying to flash the latest build but everytime I try to format any partition from TWRP the device reboots.
Currently I'm on LOS14.1 and I have tried TWRP 302, 331 and 352.

What can it be? Is there a workaround to clear all the partitions and flash your ROM?
Thanks!

bigflou

Jan 13, 2019
I was trying to flash the latest build but everytime I try to format any partition from TWRP the device reboots.

What can it be? Is there a workaround to clear all the partitions and flash your ROM?
Thanks!
You can perform a clean reinstall of the last official Google N9F27M ROM (https://developers.google.com/android/images#volantis).
With this method, you are ensure to get a really clean installation base because the installation script erase and reinstall everything including the bootloader, recovery, etc. and recreate all partitions correctly.
Then install a custom recovery, format partitions and install the LineageOS ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaares

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
I'm curious if the hdcp from being disconnected is normal (see screenshot). This is regarding DRM support for video. I don't know enough about hdcp to make an assumption,orr even know what's normal for the N9.

I do know some years ago, the Nexus 9 was being dropped from Netflix support for HD streaming and that could be related to hdcp support but I'm not sure. Can you educate me about this a little or look into fixing this if it's not normal? Or perhaps it's just me?

I checked using DRM Info app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-102633_DRM_Info.png
    Screenshot_20210425-102633_DRM_Info.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 41

odjinan

Apr 13, 2013
Nexus 9
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
just flashed the latest build, so far so good ;)

updated twrp to the latest version (twrp-3.5.2_9-0-flounder)
the current build (lineage-15.1-20210415-UNOFFICIAL-flounder) with its optional gapps companion (open_gapps-arm64-8.1-nano-20210502)
and a recommended wipe of dalvik/cache...

thanks!

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Normally, monthly builds for my others roms go smoothly, but every once in a while, the monthly changes break something. This happened with the Nexus 9 for the May 5 security patches.

While compiling, it was giving

"SSL error when connecting to the Jack server."

After some dead ends and research, I found

To fix this, you need to "Remove TLSv1, TLSv1.1 from jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms in /etc/java-8-openjdk/security/java.security" file.

I'm adding this to the FAQ for future builders.

New build called lineage-15.1-20210511-UNOFFICIAL-flounder.zip

May 11, 2021 release notes
1. Incorporates May 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_build/+/309566
2. Whatever LineageOS changed since April 2021.
3. I recommend that you wipe cache/dalvik after you flash new build. Supposedly, the Nexus 9 internal flash file system gets slower over time and that wiping the flash and keeping as much free space available helps avoid the slowdown.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Normally, monthly builds for my others roms go smoothly, but every once in a while, the monthly changes break something. This happened with the Nexus 9 for the May 5 security patches.

To fix this, you need to "Remove TLSv1, TLSv1.1 from jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms in /etc/java-8-openjdk/security/java.security" file.

1. Incorporates May 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_build/+/309566

Thanks!
    You can perform a clean reinstall of the last official Google N9F27M ROM (https://developers.google.com/android/images#volantis).
    With this method, you are ensure to get a really clean installation base because the installation script erase and reinstall everything including the bootloader, recovery, etc. and recreate all partitions correctly.
    Then install a custom recovery, format partitions and install the LineageOS ROM.
    BEFORE YOU decide to try this rom, please read all of post 1, 2 and 3.

I am not responsible for lost data, identity theft, lost money, security vulnerabilities, bricked devices or any other hardware or software malfunctions that comes as a result of flashing this ROM.

BACKUP YOUR DATA AND OLD ROM BEFORE trying this rom.

What works

I only test what I use. There could be other things that work or don't work. Let me be clear since there are people who don't seem to understand this. I cannot test things that I don't have like paid streaming/gaming, NFC, miracast or apps that I don't use. They may work or they may not work.

If you want to know if something works that's not listed here, then you need to try it for yourself. If that's not an acceptable or reasonable answer, then stop reading and find another rom that meets your requirements. I built this rom for myself to use and thought that some in the community might benefit by sharing it. If this rom doesn't meet your requirements, then delete it and use whatever does.

1. audio over bluetooth
    2. wifi
    3. brightness
    4. external audio
    5. GPS - a bit slow to get a fix/lock
    6. audio through headphone jack
    7. camera

What doesn't work

1. screen recorder. The current sepolicy doesn't allow screen recorder to work. While adding code to allow sepolicy to work

Code:
    #============= mediacodec ==============
    allow mediacodec camera_device:chr_file { ioctl open read write };

The [email protected] crashes. A mp4 file is created, but it doesn't seem to be in the correct format? Possibly related to ??

FAQ

Q1) Does the build work on Nexus 9 LTE?
    A1) I have no idea. I only have the Nexus 9 wifi so I don't know if it will work on LTE. If you have the LTE, you can build your own LTE rom. If you try the wifi build on the LTE, you may end up with a bricked device. Questions regarding LTE will go unanswered.

Q2) Application xyz doesnt' work. Can you fix it?
    A2) I only fix what I use. If you use app xyz and it doesn't work, then try 14.1 or going back to the last rom that worked for you. In addition, some of the code is not open source and in proprietary blob format so it's not possible to make changes.

Q3) My tablet hangs or crashes with 15.1. This build is slow and buggy. Can you fix it?
    A3) Go back to the last working stable rom for you. 15.1 is a work in progress and will have bugs and frequent changes. In addition, some of the code is not open source and in proprietary blob format so it's not possible to make changes.

Q4) Do you plan to update the rom?
    A4) Yes as long as I have high speed Internet, I wil try to release the rom monthly to incorporate the security patches.

Q5) What TWRP should I use?
    A6) TWRP 3.3.1 or higher. Get it from

Q6) What is the difference between this rom and variants?
    A6) Use whatever fits your needs. This is a stock LineageOS build with no modifications. I only offer this as an option for those who want or need a new rom and can't build it themselves.

Q7) Will there be a 16.0, 17.1 or 18.1 build?
    A7) I tried building 16.0, but the rom get's stuck at the very begining of the boot process and I haven't investigated too much. Do not ask if there is progress on this. I'm an unpaid volunteer building this on my own time. Any questions regarding ETAs will go unanswered.

I suspect that one or two LineageOS developers have a working 16.0 build, but they are not ready to share their code? The repos have been updated to 16.0 at

on Nov 4, 2020.

If you are a rom builder or developer and want to help get 16.0 going, please contact me.

Q8) Should I upgrade from stock or 14.1 to 15.1?
    A8) It's entirely up to you. If you do upgrade, you will need to backup your data, wipe dalvik/art cache, system, data and internal storage in TWRP. You must also format data in TWRP. You cannot dirty flash from stock or 14.1 to 15.1, it must be a completely clean fresh install.

Q9) Can I build this rom myself? Where can I find the source and/or kernel source code?
    A9) This is one of the few roms where it required no edits or changes to make it work. Follow the instructions at

Flounder

Flounder_lte

and you will get a working 15.1 image. You will need to apply patch

https://review.lineageos.org/268654

The roomservice.xml only consists of 3 repos. The roomservice.xml points to all the source code including the kernel source code. That is,

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project name="LineageOS/android_device_htc_flounder" path="device/htc/flounder" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
      <project name="LineageOS/android_kernel_htc_flounder" path="kernel/htc/flounder" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
      <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_htc" path="vendor/htc" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
    </manifest>

I changed the fstab.flounder from forceencrypt to encryptable.

Code:
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA   /data               f2fs      noatime,nosuid,nodev,errors=panic                     wait,check,latemount,encryptable=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MD1
    /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA   /data               ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic    wait,check,latemount,encryptable=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MD1

Normally, monthly builds go smoothly, but every once in a while, the monthly changes break something. This happened with the Nexus 9 for the May 5 security patches. While compiling, it was giving

Q10) Why is my question not answered?
    A10) It's likely because it's in the FAQ or it's off topic or you are asking something that I cannot answer for the reasons stated in this FAQ.

Q11) How is this 15.1 build different from the ones already on XDA?
    A11) The 15.1 roms built before Nov 4, 2020 didn't include this patch

Also, some of the 15.1 roms may not have included the hw video patch. It's not part of the repository and requires the builder to pick and apply that patch manually.

For some, depending on how the device is used, having the hw video patch isn't necessary and will work fine without it.

Q12) Is the video hardware accelerated in 15.1?
    A12) Yes. The March 9, 2021 and all future builds include this patch

https://review.lineageos.org/268654

for video hardware acceleration.

Q13) Is encryption enabled by default?
    A13) Some people say the Nexus 9 lags over time and supposedly removing encryption improves performance. The Nexus 9 is not a daily driver for me so I don't know, but reading the older 14.1 and 15.1 threads, I decided to change the default behavior starting with the March 13, 2021 build so that encryption is disabled by default.

If you want encryption enabled, goto settings, security and privacy, encryption and credentials, encrypt tablet and follow instructions.

Q14) Can you build a variant like slimrom, crDroid, etc?
    A14) No, but you can following the instructions and source code above that has been provided.

Q15) What gapps should I use?
    A15) I personally am moving away from all google apps and technology. If you must use gapps, pick the smallest one which is pico ARM64.

Q16) Where can I download this rom?
    A16) See

New build called lineage-15.1-20210415-UNOFFICIAL-flounder.zip

1. Incorporates April 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_build/+/307722
    2. Removed livedisplay option from menu as it doesn't work on Nexus 9 Tegra SoC according to those more knowledgeable and experienced than I.

Release notes for March 13, 2021
    1. Changed encryption to be disabled by default.

Release notes for March 9, 2021
    1. Initial build for 15.1 Nexus 9 wifi only.
    2. March 5, 2021 security patches
    3. Built from LineageOS 15.1 repos with no changes or edits and includes the hw video patch.
    4. Please be patient on first bootup.

For those that downloaded the March 8 build, please delete it. While it works, there was a problem with the build missing a hw video patch that I didn't notice at first. I will upload a March 9 build. Sorry for the trouble.
    For those that downloaded the March 8 build, please delete it. While it works, there was a problem with the build missing a hw video patch that I didn't notice at first. When I did a clean repo sync, I forgot to apply the hw video patch at

https://review.lineageos.org/268655

in the March 8 build. The March 8 build works as I tested it, but it wasn't until a few hours later that I realized I forgot to reapply the hw video patch.

The March 9 build includes the above hw patch. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone