• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Amlogic G12*/SM1 Family Devices

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
cannot connect to 10.0.0.18:5555: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061) . This is the error I get when trying to connect to ADB wirelessly . I never get a prompt any reason why ?it never seems to want to connect . USB debugging is enabled I have tried to turn it off and on but no go .
the toggle for network debugging is broken we are trying to fix it right now

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I finally got it working not sure what the issue is had the sideload rom 3 times before it stopped erroring out aside from the Netflix and HBOmax issues I noticed everything displays fairly well on a 4K monitor but if i switch over to a 1080p display things are fuzzy (text apps) and I cant adjust display settings in OS
Yeah, 4k support for the UI is a WIP - scaling is hard without the proprietary algorithms.
@npjohnson I am unable to ADB into the Walmart Onn UHD Box (dopinder). When I enable Developer Options, it says " Developer options are not available for this user". I would like to get LineageOS on this box. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You didn't wipe data coming from stock - or you've installed something that pissed the system off lol - if you reflash and factory reset it should work fine.
I'm wanting to test this on one of my ADT-1 developer boxes. Which version should I use?
ADT-1? Molly? No, the best you can do is the PureNexus 6.0.1 build from 2015 I made - it's super old. If you have an ADT-3, you can use the deadpool build. 100% different devices. Not a single shared component.

jpage4500

Sep 4, 2013
This looks very interesting to me. I've got several Fire TV 4k sticks and was wondering how the Walmart onn device compares? I don't use Netflix - just Amazon Prime and YouTube TV apps primarily.. assuming they'd still work.

Honestly, the Fire TV stick does just about everything I need with 1 exception - supporting Chromecast. I also personally would love the idea of running Lineage instead of a Fire OS.

So, big question for me is -- is Chromecast receiving supported fully?

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
On the Onn device (and probably all the non-sabrina devices), there's no need to go through initial setup, forced update, and turn on dev options and USB debugging to update to LineageOS. Connecting to a Linux box while holding the side button down will put the device in burn mode. Once can then run ./update bulkcmd fastboot ("update" is the Amlogic update tool from the sabrina unlock thread: https://github.com/npjohnson/sabrina-unlock) to boot into fastboot. From there, fastboot flashing unlock will unlock the bootloader and then fastboot boot lineage_recovery.img and install LineageOS.

BTW, holding down the side button and connecting the device to power (non-PC) will boot the device into recovery mode. Useful if the device refuses to boot.

I've had the nVidia Shield 2019 for almost 2 years now, but I'm new to this hardward and considering purchasing one. From reading the OP, I see that each unit's hardware varies slightly.

Do any of these all handle HDR10/HDR10+ and Dolby Vision/Atmos with LOS 18.1?

I'd have to buy the ADT-3 it seems to test Google Dev's Android 12 beta.

Or should I just get another Shield and be done with it and hope they update from Android 9 to 12 soon? Haha

THANKS in advance.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
This looks very interesting to me. I've got several Fire TV 4k sticks and was wondering how the Walmart onn device compares? I don't use Netflix - just Amazon Prime and YouTube TV apps primarily.. assuming they'd still work.

Honestly, the Fire TV stick does just about everything I need with 1 exception - supporting Chromecast. I also personally would love the idea of running Lineage instead of a Fire OS.

So, big question for me is -- is Chromecast receiving supported fully?
The CCwGTV will get official support at some point yes.
On the Onn device (and probably all the non-sabrina devices), there's no need to go through initial setup, forced update, and turn on dev options and USB debugging to update to LineageOS. Connecting to a Linux box while holding the side button down will put the device in burn mode. Once can then run ./update bulkcmd fastboot ("update" is the Amlogic update tool from the sabrina unlock thread: https://github.com/npjohnson/sabrina-unlock) to boot into fastboot. From there, fastboot flashing unlock will unlock the bootloader and then fastboot boot lineage_recovery.img and install LineageOS.

BTW, holding down the side button and connecting the device to power (non-PC) will boot the device into recovery mode. Useful if the device refuses to boot.
Yup.
I've had the nVidia Shield 2019 for almost 2 years now, but I'm new to this hardward and considering purchasing one. From reading the OP, I see that each unit's hardware varies slightly.

Do any of these all handle HDR10/HDR10+ and Dolby Vision/Atmos with LOS 18.1?

I'd have to buy the ADT-3 it seems to test Google Dev's Android 12 beta.

Or should I just get another Shield and be done with it and hope they update from Android 9 to 12 soon? Haha

THANKS in advance.
11 is coming to shield very soon.

You should grab an onn or dynalink box tho! Adt-3 isn't Netflix certified and such.

None of them support HDR on lineage yet but it is on the Todo!

seriousneo

Jun 17, 2010
yeah, aware of the issue, it's video firmware not loading, building new builds now.

But for what it's worth, you don't need a keyboard or drive - you can adb sideload it over usb - easiest method, just like the wiki describes.
Hey so does this mean I don't need OTG cable for my Onn 4k box then? I can do all of this with just connection to my laptop + adb?

fathergweedo

Feb 8, 2014
Detroit
@npjohnson I am unable to ADB into the Walmart Onn UHD Box (dopinder). When I enable Developer Options, it says " Developer options are not available for this user". I would like to get LineageOS on this box. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Encountered the same issue here, read on...
You didn't wipe data coming from stock - or you've installed something that pissed the system off lol - if you reflash and factory reset it should work fine.
He/she is correct, I wasn't able to actually toggle USB debugging until connecting to WiFi "and" logging into Google and accepting terms. Seems odd, but in several (>6 times) I had the same results. I have no idea how accepting the Google terms could affect this, but it is what it is. Biggest problem "could be" is upon connecting it to the internet, it automatically updates. Luckily the update to 09/02/2021 doesn't foil bootloader unlocking.

I received 2 of these yesterday and this happened to the 1st one. I searched for this issue everywhere and I only came upon this remark today. Thinking I may have a bad one, I tried the 2nd one today without ever connecting to WiFi. Went directly to settings/Device Preferences, and tapped the build number per normal. Went back to Developer Options and encountered the same "Developer options are not available for this user" message.

Not really a deal breaker as you can get to stock recovery by holding the side button while applying power and get to fastboot from there. Just need a hub and proper setup to unlock the bootloader via connected computer from there, I assume?

I don't want to plug my Linux box into a powered hub as I'm not sure of it. I'm awaiting a pair of OTG cables to actually complete this setup tomorrow, but from an earlier post here, I should be fine.

EDIT: Onn. "#2" is reset to OOB state and never connected to WiFi, so I still have a pure stock/reset one to play with if anyone wishes any testing from here. Other than protecting my Linux box, I'm game. It's not like bricking an expensive phone - LOL!

Last edited:

fathergweedo

Feb 8, 2014
Detroit
Wow. I just looked at my history and I've been MIA here for over 18 months?? Time sure flies! May have to get up to speed a bit. The latest android version on my phones is Nougat/Oreo - o_O

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Encountered the same issue here, read on...

He/she is correct, I wasn't able to actually toggle USB debugging until connecting to WiFi "and" logging into Google and accepting terms. Seems odd, but in several (>6 times) I had the same results. I have no idea how accepting the Google terms could affect this, but it is what it is. Biggest problem "could be" is upon connecting it to the internet, it automatically updates. Luckily the update to 09/02/2021 doesn't foil bootloader unlocking.

I received 2 of these yesterday and this happened to the 1st one. I searched for this issue everywhere and I only came upon this remark today. Thinking I may have a bad one, I tried the 2nd one today without ever connecting to WiFi. Went directly to settings/Device Preferences, and tapped the build number per normal. Went back to Developer Options and encountered the same "Developer options are not available for this user" message.

Not really a deal breaker as you can get to stock recovery by holding the side button while applying power and get to fastboot from there. Just need a hub and proper setup to unlock the bootloader via connected computer from there, I assume?

I don't want to plug my Linux box into a powered hub as I'm not sure of it. I'm awaiting a pair of OTG cables to actually complete this setup tomorrow, but from an earlier post here, I should be fine.

EDIT: Onn. "#2" is reset to OOB state and never connected to WiFi, so I still have a pure stock/reset one to play with if anyone wishes any testing from here. Other than protecting my Linux box, I'm game. It's not like bricking an expensive phone - LOL!
Yeah, that's kind of expected almost every device nowadays requires you to log in and setup before unlocking bootloader's.

I thought the last guy was talking about on lineage lol

fathergweedo

Feb 8, 2014
Detroit
Yeah, that's kind of expected almost every device nowadays requires you to log in and setup before unlocking bootloader's.

I thought the last guy was talking about on lineage lol
I haven't even tried lineage as of yet, but this was my 1st encounter of having to loginin/setup to access debugging. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if it's really necessary when booting directly to the stock recovery > booloader. Fingers crossed ;)

EDIT: I'm quite rusty and behind the times of late. All I've managed so far is to unlock/verify unlocked the bootloaader on the Onn/dopinder #1 and boot (not yet flash) the (lineage-18.1-20211007-recovery-dopinder.img) recovery. Still have to tweak in my setup before I have the "warm fuzzy" necessary to play around.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I haven't even tried lineage as of yet, but this was my 1st encounter of having to loginin/setup to access debugging. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if it's really necessary when booting directly to the stock recovery > booloader. Fingers crossed ;)
It's not necessary at all, you can boot into bootloader mode and just issue the command

Reactions: fathergweedo

fathergweedo

Feb 8, 2014
Detroit
It's not necessary at all, you can boot into bootloader mode and just issue the command
Pretty much figured that's enough, but the USB port on the Linux box doesn't have enough output to power the dopinger + USB keyboard that I wish to navigate with. The (quite old) " HooToo 40W/7.8A USB Travel Charger" that I have connected has a pair of OTG ports, but I'm not sure exactly how it works (who keeps manuals/instructions?). For current setup I just have OTG-1 of the "hub" to the dopinger and OTG-2 for the keyboard. It powers those up fine, but I still need a means to connect it to the computer. Awaiting a cable to safely complete the circuit (unless I'm just being a puss???) -LOL

Attachments

• YooToo.jpg
    YooToo.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 22

HawaiiWarrior

May 20, 2013
Tyler
I bought the ONN box from Walmart this past weekend to try and get Lineage OS running. There were a handful of updates that installed on my first login.

Now, when I run the "adb reboot bootloader" command in ADB after enabling USB Debugging, the command appears to work but then the ONN bootscreen appears frozen on the connected tv. At the same time, I don't see the device when I run the "fastboot devices" command, and if I try to "fastboot reboot" command it hangs on the "waiting for any device >" message.

I also see a "USB download gadget" under the Windows 10 Device Manager screen after running the ADB command while I am unsuccessfully trying to run the Fastboot command.

I'm wondering if I might have missed a step to install ONN drivers, or whether the OTA updates may have broken the "adb reboot bootloader" method.

If anybody has a troubleshooting idea, I'd be happy to give it a try and confirm what does/doesn't work.

---
Update to add screenshots:

Windows 10 Device Manager "USB download gadget":
USB download gadget - Device Manager.PNG

ADB command errors (adb successful, fastboot unsuccessful):
Failing to unlock bootloader - fastboot.png

ONN device version after updating on 10/16/2021:
IMG_1024.jpg

Bootscreen stuck after "adb reboot bootloader" command:
IMG_1023.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: seriousneo

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
If anybody has a troubleshooting idea, I'd be happy to give it a try and confirm what does/doesn't work.
The device is in fastboot mode; your PC is not configured to detect it. You haven't installed fastboot drivers in Windows (https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb), so it's no wonder the device is not being recognized.

Given how easy it is to boot Linux from a flash drive, it's pretty much an expectation on here that you try this in Linux and not in Windows.

Reactions: HawaiiWarrior

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
The device is in fastboot mode; your PC is not configured to detect it. You haven't installed fastboot drivers in Windows (https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb), so it's no wonder the device is not being recognized.

Given how easy it is to boot Linux from a flash drive, it's pretty much an expectation on here that you try this in Linux and not in Windows.
Windows works fine. Just install the drivers like the wiki details.

Top Liked Posts

This is strange and contradicts my own experience, since I only found out about this issue because my polaris (A-only device), which has been running solely on official LineageOS or LOS for MicroG since the first day, inevitably removes root after OTA, while the presence of init.d support is confirmed by AFWall+ firewall app.

So, if anyone has any real success updating the flashed dopinder/sabrina/wade with Magisk — that would be the best answer to my query.
    I can't say why that's the case for you, but it should be working on those devices and sounds more like a bug. Regardless, I forgot to directly state it but it does successfully repatch the boot image with Magisk when I run an OTA on my dopinder box (one of the first things I tested when I bought it), both with np's builds as well as my own local builds.
    I ultimately settled on 1126400000, gives ~1.1GB to the system and accommodates the app adjustments I've been making for my builds without tripping OpenGApps' space check for TV stock
    this ended up being _wayyyyy_ to much, as this is the full value of the partition vs just the space to reserve, both will work, but we want to split it amongst partitions. One of our guys recalculated it and got it working.

Should be good to build now from breakfast/extract-files (or syncing the muppets).

Only thing left is hardware OMX. Hopefully we can figure it out!
    So I'm successfully running the LineageOS 18.1 dopinder builds, and I decided I wanted to try my hand at supporting ATV devices with my custom ROM project. Got a clean repo sync of lineage-18.1 and ran a successful dopinder build, but it doesn't boot and hangs at splash, and after a few boot attempts HDMI dies until I restore to stock. What's the quickest way to get adb debugging in early init so I can get a logcat and dmesg to study?
    your issue is that these devices aren't fully official for good reason ;p we just merged enforcing selinux yesterday, and GApps reservation space isn't done yet.

You also need all the ATV platform commits for your ROM, and the apps and such.

Honestly, give it a month or so and it should /just work/.
    After two minutes of operation, the remote control stops working. Updating to the latest build and resetting does not solve the problem. In settings, it says that the remote control is connected. how can I fix the problem?
    I appreciate the heads up on all this, but earlier I did another repo sync for fun and my new builds have been booting (ofc without the ATV platform commits or apps, so they're bare builds), and since then I've been poking with space for OpenGApps TV stock via the systemimage reserved size before I start figuring my apps out. I'm willing to work through the progress until it does just work, but in the meantime I'm not intending to start making production releases any time soon so it's not an issue for my personal testing!
    Oh, do whatever you want! I wasn't trying to discourage you, just letting you know it's not yet ready.

As for reserved sizes, I'm actually working on it right now. Very close to working.

If you're interested in really helping out, help me figure out how to fix hardware backed OMX, as I have no clue. We just fell back to software backed OMX instead which is meh.
    Will a wireless keyboard work with the dopinder box now or is this even possible for the future? I have an old logitech wireless one with a built in mouse pad. Or maybe something like THIS Rii mini that supports both wifi and bt.
    that rii remote is a complete piece of trash. i owned one. this one works great with dopinder, but it won't work in recovery.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Amlogic G12*/SM1 Family Devices
    Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Unofficial Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Amlogic G12*/SM1 SoC family of devices.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed:
    We also support a few development boards, but at least (for now, until we have time to write up instructions), you're on your own to figure out the install process and set things up:
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • Hardware backed OMX - Therefore, by proxy, L1 DRM is broken, we're currently trying to fix it, but it's proving tough to figure out. Software OMX fallback is in use for now, though, and works fine on almost all non-DRM videos.
    • SELinux is permissive, this is only due to a lack of time to put together a decent looking sepolicy for the devices,
    • (wade/dopinder only) Side-button doesn't work - On wade, you can use the IR remote to navigate recovery, on dopinder, you'll need an OTG adapter, and a keyboard or controller to attach.
    Notes:
    • GApps are baked in - No, I will not be building without GApps included for this device. These builds are built, packaged, and signed by me, and not affiliated with LineageOS whatsoever. OTA is provided the same way officials would have them.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so you'll end up on the newest version of compatible firmware after install. Please don't touch firmware partitions after install.
    FAQ:
    • Does L1 Widevine DRM break when I unlock my bootloader?

Nope, it works fine, or at least, it will once we fix hardware backed OMX. L1 certificates, and the mechanism that reports is all still exist and work as expected.

• Can I haz Netflix?

Not the Android TV one, not until we fix hardware backed OMX, at least - after that it should work fine. For now, you can go sideload the tablet Netflix, it works fine!

• Is this Android TV or Google TV?

Android TV, with some of the better components of Google TV.

• Can I go back to stock and relock the bootloader?

Yeah, grab the factory image for your device and flash it just like you would for a Pixel device, you can find the factory images here. Don't know it I'd relock though, consider that process largely untested on these device. Especially on sabrina, where you can't necessarily re-unlock should you ever want to.

• Are these the stock codenames for these devices?

Astute observation, no, they are not. The ADT-3 is actaully `adt3`, but earlier in production is was `deadpool`, which is much cooler. The Dynalink box internally is extremely similar to the ADT-3, so we coined it `wade` after Wade Wilson, AKA deadpool. The Onn box is in the same family, but different enough to coin it `dopinder`, after, well, go watch Deadpool the movie I guess. sabrina is actually the codename given by Google - no clue as to the reason.

• Does it pass SafetyNet?

Nope, SELinux is permissive, among other things. You can probably use Magisk if you really need that, but the good news is, 99% of Android TV apps don't care about SafetyNet, unlike on mobile, where a lot of them do.

• Does the stock remote work?

Yup, just like it would on stock, in-remote-microphone and all! If it's an IR remote like wade's, it will even work in recovery!

• Can we we support higher resolution than 4K, higher FPS, or HDR on non-certified screens?

Nope.

• I have a very similar device! Can I install these builds and use them?

No. Please don't do that. You will brick your device, as we include firmware and bootloader images.

If you're a developer looking to help port to a new device, contact me.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_amlogic_linux-4.9

Contributors:
    • npjohnson
    • stricted
    • webgeek1234
    • deadman96385
    • trautamaki
    • luca020400
    • aleasto
    Yeah, you used the stock recovery. You need to fastboot flash, then fastboot boot recovery, I'll update the docs.

For dopinder, it's needed right now.

Found a procedure for dopinder without the need for keyboard/OTG.

The docs under "Installing a custom recovery using fastboot" state to use "adb reboot fastboot" which doesn't work for booting recovery, needed to do "adb reboot bootloader" instead.

Full command log (after unlocking bootloader and re-enabling USB debugging) of the install process with just a regular Micro USB to USB A cable:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20210805-recovery-dopinder.img
    fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210805-recovery-dopinder.img
    adb reboot sideload
    adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210805-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder.zip
    # if successful then load bootloader and factory reset
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot

Successfully booted to LineageOS after this!
    I ultimately settled on 1126400000, gives ~1.1GB to the system and accommodates the app adjustments I've been making for my builds without tripping OpenGApps' space check for TV stock
    this ended up being _wayyyyy_ to much, as this is the full value of the partition vs just the space to reserve, both will work, but we want to split it amongst partitions. One of our guys recalculated it and got it working.

Should be good to build now from breakfast/extract-files (or syncing the muppets).

Only thing left is hardware OMX. Hopefully we can figure it out!
    sabrina support is live, enjoy.
    could you all please take this to private message? there's 3 pages of messages from you talking about fixing one user's device. we all keep getting notifications for every message you post 🤷

thank you 😊