• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Amlogic G12*/SM1 Family Devices

Search This thread
Mar 16, 2015
I see flashing dtb/dtbo was removed from install guide.
Skipping that part I still can't get it to flash correctly, this is my command log:
Code:
adb reboot fastboot
fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20210805-recovery-dopinder.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (24576 KB)...
OKAY [  1.112s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.540s]
finished. total time: 1.658s
fastboot reboot
adb reboot sideload
adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210805-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder.zip
serving: 'lineage-18.1-20210805-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder.zip'  (~47%)    * failed to read command: No error
Device shows this after sideload:
Code:
Verifying update package..
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
Update package verification took 303.7 s (result 1).
E:Signature verification failed
E:error: 21

Install from ADB complete (status: 2).

Is it possible that rebooting to system after flashing recovery restores the stock recovery?
Also unable to Enter recovery directly from fastboot with any combination of OTG+hub/keyboard, as if it's not a direct micro USB to USB A cable my PC won't detect the device for sideload, not sure how others are able to.

Last edited:

Juppy99

Nov 10, 2016
Skipping that part I still can't get it to flash correctly, this is my command log:
Code:
adb reboot fastboot
OKAY [  1.112s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.540s]
fastboot reboot
adb reboot sideload
serving: 'lineage-18.1-20210805-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder.zip'  (~47%)    * failed to read command: No error
Code:

Is it possible that rebooting to system after flashing recovery restores the stock recovery?
Also unable to Enter recovery directly from fastboot with any combination of OTG+hub/keyboard, as if it's not a direct micro USB to USB A cable my PC won't detect the device for sideload, not sure how others are able to.
got this same issue, sadly i dont have an OTG cable to hook up a keyboard.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Code:
adb reboot fastboot
OKAY [  1.112s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.540s]
fastboot reboot
adb reboot sideload
Code:

Yeah, you used the stock recovery. You need to fastboot flash, then fastboot boot recovery, I'll update the docs.
got this same issue, sadly i dont have an OTG cable to hook up a keyboard.
For dopinder, it's needed right now.

Mar 16, 2015
Yeah, you used the stock recovery. You need to fastboot flash, then fastboot boot recovery, I'll update the docs.

Found a procedure for dopinder without the need for keyboard/OTG.

The docs under "Installing a custom recovery using fastboot" state to use "adb reboot fastboot" which doesn't work for booting recovery, needed to do "adb reboot bootloader" instead.

Full command log (after unlocking bootloader and re-enabling USB debugging) of the install process with just a regular Micro USB to USB A cable:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210805-recovery-dopinder.img
adb reboot sideload
# if successful then load bootloader and factory reset
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

Successfully booted to LineageOS after this!

npjohnson

Recognized Developer

The docs under "Installing a custom recovery using fastboot" state to use "adb reboot fastboot" which doesn't work for booting recovery, needed to do "adb reboot bootloader" instead.

Full command log (after unlocking bootloader and re-enabling USB debugging) of the install process with just a regular Micro USB to USB A cable:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
adb reboot sideload
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

aight, will update instructions.

Mar 16, 2015
The virtual keyboard doesn't work/open at all for me, so during setup I ran the following commands to enter WiFi pass/email etc.

Code:
adb shell input text "TEXT"
# press enter/continue
adb shell input keyevent 66

Attached a logcat of when an input field is focused.

Casting doesn't seem to work, redacted client ID's with 'XXXXXXXXX': https://pastebin.com/PMyWZTvH (couldn't get it to attach)

Also couldn't get sound to work.

Attachments

• IME-log.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
The virtual keyboard doesn't work/open at all for me, so during setup I ran the following commands to enter WiFi pass/email etc.

Code:
adb shell input text "TEXT"
# press enter/continue
adb shell input keyevent 66

Attached a logcat of when an input field is focused.

Casting doesn't seem to work, redacted client ID's with 'XXXXXXXXX': https://pastebin.com/PMyWZTvH (couldn't get it to attach)

Also couldn't get sound to work.
you know what's funny, I hit that to, try not connecting ADB/computer? See if it makes keyboard pop up.

Casting is known to be broken on dopinder atm. Need to work through this further. I'm just so limited on time.

Mar 16, 2015
you know what's funny, I hit that to, try not connecting ADB/computer? See if it makes keyboard pop up.

Casting is known to be broken on dopinder atm. Need to work through this further. I'm just so limited on time.

Wasn't sure if these were known issues already, and this isn't my daily driver so take your time!

Tried plugging into the stock power cable didn't fix the keyboard issue.

The sound issue I think is something to do with the internal volume.
The only way I got the sound to work is by accident while installing Android TV Infrared Service (com.google.android.tv.axel) and running the setup via adb shell am start -n com.google.android.tv.axel/.ui.wizard.OobeActivity then sound works after.
The IR/app also works, do you know if it will be included (in settings) in future releases?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Wasn't sure if these were known issues already, and this isn't my daily driver so take your time!

Tried plugging into the stock power cable didn't fix the keyboard issue.

The sound issue I think is something to do with the internal volume.
The only way I got the sound to work is by accident while installing Android TV Infrared Service (com.google.android.tv.axel) and running the setup via adb shell am start -n com.google.android.tv.axel/.ui.wizard.OobeActivity then sound works after.
The IR/app also works, do you know if it will be included (in settings) in future releases?
yes it will.

and, did you try turning the volume up on the remote?

Makes me think it was stuck in IR or CEC mode... which is weird.

Mar 16, 2015
yes it will.

and, did you try turning the volume up on the remote?

Makes me think it was stuck in IR or CEC mode... which is weird.
Yup tried Vol up/down, Mute buttons on the remote, even tried sending the input keycodes via adb (24 and 91), nothing.
It's not muted because I can see in logs that it's toggling mute correctly but it's throwing a warning with it that the current volume level is 0, and min=1. Nothing in the logs when Vol up/down is pressed except TelcomManager is missing.

Edit: You were right about CEC, disabling CEC entirely (Connected devices -> HDMI-CEC) fixes the sound/volume button issue, however this means it's not respecting the option under Device preferences -> Inputs -> CEC Volume Control as it was disabled and is by default.

Also got the virtual keyboard working somehow, the only things I did were uninstall Gboard updates, clear data, and disable/enable Android TV Remote Services then reboot.

Last edited:

alan_harake

Feb 14, 2012
Los Angeles
Few things I've noticed after installation and using the rom. There is no option to setup the remote to the tv for IR. So I have no volume control or input and power is controlled by cec instead of IR. On screen keyboard doesn't work on any apps. Settings button on the onn remote doesn't work. YouTube playback is broken. Only plays for half a second then freezes. And holding the home button is binded to opening assistant instead of going to the apps menu like it should. Would also be nice to see the Google tv ui be ported.

Last edited:

meber

Jun 24, 2011
Ouya
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Whenever I try to do an adb reboot bootloader it restarts but then just sits at the ONN logo and never progresses.

Even if I connect the original power supply and hold down the side button while booting to bring up the Android menu and select Reboot Bootloader it gets stuck at the ONN logo.

Any help?

Mar 16, 2015
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Whenever I try to do an adb reboot bootloader it restarts but then just sits at the ONN logo and never progresses.

Even if I connect the original power supply and hold down the side button while booting to bring up the Android menu and select Reboot Bootloader it gets stuck at the ONN logo.

Any help?
Bootloader is supposed to only show the logo and fastboot commands should still work if it's connected to your PC.

meber

Jun 24, 2011
Ouya
So for an update to fix it I had to manually assign the driver. I selected the unrecognized device and clicked update driver, clicked browser local system, selected universal serial device and then selected ADB. From that point on it worked.

fixsony

Apr 27, 2008
I can't flash back to stock rom, get some error
>fastboot flash super super.img
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sabrina support is live, enjoy.
    could you all please take this to private message? there's 3 pages of messages from you talking about fixing one user's device. we all keep getting notifications for every message you post 🤷

thank you 😊
    This is all relevant information that anyone who gets in this situation would benefit from.

You can turn off the notifications, or set up daily summaries?
    could you all please take this to private message? there's 3 pages of messages from you talking about fixing one user's device. we all keep getting notifications for every message you post 🤷

thank you 😊
    facepalm. I totally overlooked the fact that you are using the onn tv box , i have the dynalink (wade) so the remote is a little different. i was too lazy to drive to walmart and dynalink is on amazon. how did you determine what scancode each key was? thats all i need to figure out. and finally... anyone know where i can buy a remote that is the same layout and button count as the one with the onn box that is actually blutooth not some stupid usb dongle on 2.4ghtz? just curious. i'm almost thinking of just gettting the onn box and returning it without the remote and see if they take it lol
    Dyanlink's remote isn't 2.4ghz - it's IR. the box has a receiver in it. Check dmesg for info. That's why it works in recovery so easily.

I have the dopinder and have successfully booted up into lineage, seems like it's working but I'm stuck on the connect the remote screen. I hold the back and home button and the remote starts flashing with a green light, but it never connects to the device. Am I missing something? I've tried my best to search this post for other people having a similar issue but have come up empty. Anyone able to help me solve this? Should I just try reflashing or doing another factory reset?

Some how I got it to work, so never mind about that. I just held the two buttons and once it started flashing I set the remote down next to dopinder and ran to another room for something and when I got back it was connected.
    It can be a little finniky.
    On a Dopinder, would I be able to unlock the bootloader and then sideload magisk to root on stock without first installing lineageOS and reverting to stock?
    yeah that works fine.
    Is there any way to enable wireless debugging on the dopinder? I really don't want to have to move it to my PC every time I want to sideload an APK.

Also, another quick question. I have a Chromecast Ultra that has the brick with an ethernet port. It works just fine with the Chromecast Ultra, but when I plugged it into the dopinder it doesn't detect that there's an Ethernet plugged into it. I forgot to check if it even worked with the stock image, so I wasn't sure if it was lineage or the device itself.

I couldn't find an answer to either of these questions within this thread so, hopefully I'm not being repetitive.
    you can do it the old fassioned way via adb with adb root.
    is there a way to boot directly to bootlader on wade with a button hold or something? i cant get my remote or any remote to pair after i flashed factory image and i think its cuz i did it in fastbootd not bootloader but now i cant get back and have no adb access...
    normally I'd say fastbootd in recovery, but if you flashed stock recovery no fastbootd. That sucks. I would say your best bet is to get UART hooked up on the board itself (it's all marked on the board), and then interrupt u-boot and run `fastboot`, should drop you to bootloader mode.
    Do I absolutely need a powered USB hub to do this? If so, can you guys help me figure out which USB hub to buy, please? Can I not just use the button on the side of the unit to select something from the menu and hold down the button to press "return"?

I want to try and load the default ROM onto my Onn UHD box from Walmart.

I have a pair of these micro-OTG splitter things. I have a MacBook that I can connect to the device and use ADB.

Can I do everything over ADB instead? Like send the data and use ADB commands like

./adb shell input text "what you want to type in"
    ./adb shell input keyevent 66

to issue commands like "up arrow" and "down arrow", etc?

Is this possible?
    yeah you can https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7789826/adb-shell-input-events
    Did you mean to link to something? Or are you referring to this thread that we're both on right now?

Because I've been following this thread for many days now. Here's a description of my success in getting LineageOS running properly. But now I want to go back to stock and just get Magisk running instead.
    Easy, flash factory image, then boot lineageos recovery and flash magisk. Done.
    Will this ROM ever get fixed? Honestly all it needs to be just about perfect is for video playback to work smoothly and the on screen keyboard to work. Not asking for an ETA, just wondering if these are issues planned to be resolved sometime.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Amlogic G12*/SM1 Family Devices
    Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Amlogic G12*/SM1 SoC family of devices.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed:
    We also support a few development boards, but at least (for now, until we have time to write up instructions), you're on your own to figure out the install process and set things up:
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • Hardware backed OMX - Therefore, by proxy, L1 DRM is broken, we're currently trying to fix it, but it's proving tough to figure out. Software OMX fallback is in use for now, though, and works fine on almost all non-DRM videos.
    • SELinux is permissive, this is only due to a lack of time to put together a decent looking sepolicy for the devices,
    • (wade/dopinder only) Side-button doesn't work - On wade, you can use the IR remote to navigate recovery, on dopinder, you'll need an OTG adapter, and a keyboard or controller to attach.
    Notes:
    • GApps are baked in - No, I will not be building without GApps included for this device. These builds are built, packaged, and signed by me, and not affiliated with LineageOS whatsoever. OTA is provided the same way officials would have them.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so you'll end up on the newest version of compatible firmware after install. Please don't touch firmware partitions after install.
    FAQ:
    • Does L1 Widevine DRM break when I unlock my bootloader?

Nope, it works fine, or at least, it will once we fix hardware backed OMX. L1 certificates, and the mechanism that reports is all still exist and work as expected.

• Can I haz Netflix?

Not the Android TV one, not until we fix hardware backed OMX, at least - after that it should work fine. For now, you can go sideload the tablet Netflix, it works fine!

• Is this Android TV or Google TV?

Android TV, with some of the better components of Google TV.

• Can I go back to stock and relock the bootloader?

Yeah, grab the factory image for your device and flash it just like you would for a Pixel device, you can find the factory images here. Don't know it I'd relock though, consider that process largely untested on these device. Especially on sabrina, where you can't necessarily re-unlock should you ever want to.

• Are these the stock codenames for these devices?

Astute observation, no, they are not. The ADT-3 is actaully `adt3`, but earlier in production is was `deadpool`, which is much cooler. The Dynalink box internally is extremely similar to the ADT-3, so we coined it `wade` after Wade Wilson, AKA deadpool. The Onn box is in the same family, but different enough to coin it `dopinder`, after, well, go watch Deadpool the movie I guess. sabrina is actually the codename given by Google - no clue as to the reason.

• Does it pass SafetyNet?

Nope, SELinux is permissive, among other things. You can probably use Magisk if you really need that, but the good news is, 99% of Android TV apps don't care about SafetyNet, unlike on mobile, where a lot of them do.

• Does the stock remote work?

Yup, just like it would on stock, in-remote-microphone and all! If it's an IR remote like wade's, it will even work in recovery!

• Can we we support higher resolution than 4K, higher FPS, or HDR on non-certified screens?

Nope.

• I have a very similar device! Can I install these builds and use them?

No. Please don't do that. You will brick your device, as we include firmware and bootloader images.

If you're a developer looking to help port to a new device, contact me.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_amlogic_linux-4.9

Contributors:
    • npjohnson
    • stricted
    • webgeek1234
    • deadman96385
    • trautamaki
    • luca020400
    • aleasto

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    adb reboot sideload
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot

sabrina support is live, enjoy.

thank you 😊
    This is all relevant information that anyone who gets in this situation would benefit from.

You can turn off the notifications, or set up daily summaries?
    i probably will write up install instructions for the `BananaPi-M5` and `Odroid C4` Soon™
    its a bit more complicated than just booting into recovery and flashing it unfortunately