• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel

Search This thread

christopherjw

Sep 27, 2021
Is there any way to include TalkBack and Google TTS in this? I'm blind and it would be helpful to flash this and then immediately enable the screen reader with the two-finger hold gesture or holding the volume keys after booting the ROM. I managed to get this working by using ADB to sideload TalkBack and Google TTS, but if it was built-in, it would be even better!

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Is there any way to include TalkBack and Google TTS in this? I'm blind and it would be helpful to flash this and then immediately enable the screen reader with the two-finger hold gesture or holding the volume keys after booting the ROM. I managed to get this working by using ADB to sideload TalkBack and Google TTS, but if it was built-in, it would be even better!
I can't actaully :/

I'd love to help be more accessible, but we _barely_ fit GMS right now in our small system partition. Had to cut talkback and TTS due to this.

Reactions: spiral777

christopherjw

Sep 27, 2021
I understand. Thank you. This works really well. I was able to independently flash and install the screen reader and speech engine using ADB. As long as I have ADB access after booting for the first time, I can get this working without any sighted assistance. I like the minimalistic install as well.
How do I update this in the future when new versions with newer security patches become available? Can I boot into fastboot, select slot B, boot TWRP and then flash the new zip over the existing install in slot A?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I understand. Thank you. This works really well. I was able to independently flash and install the screen reader and speech engine using ADB. As long as I have ADB access after booting for the first time, I can get this working without any sighted assistance. I like the minimalistic install as well.
How do I update this in the future when new versions with newer security patches become available? Can I boot into fastboot, select slot B, boot TWRP and then flash the new zip over the existing install in slot A?
Don't do any of that, don't use TWRP - just open the Updater app and update!

christopherjw

Sep 27, 2021
I checked the updater and it said Lineage OS 18.1 October 8 2021 was available. I ran the update and it told me to reboot. I did that and it still shows up and looks like it's trying to install again. Will it properly show me new versions when they become available and allow me to update? Is this behavior normal?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I checked the updater and it said Lineage OS 18.1 October 8 2021 was available. I ran the update and it told me to reboot. I did that and it still shows up and looks like it's trying to install again. Will it properly show me new versions when they become available and allow me to update? Is this behavior normal?
Yes. I just posted a new update today you can take.

Reactions: spiral777

kennkanniff

May 6, 2013
I have installed my own baked version of this rom on my dads phone and its working great! Thank you.

I also added npjohnson/android_vendor_google_pixel to roomservice but the apps do not seems to be included. How do I include them in the build? I sideloaded GoogleCamera.apk and it works fine.

christopherjw

Sep 27, 2021
Performing a factory reset didn't fix the issue. I'll wait until you release the December patches and perform a clean flash. Thank you once again for this. My Pixel has been revived and I get to use the awesome multi-finger TalkBack gestures introduced with Android 11!

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I have installed my own baked version of this rom on my dads phone and its working great! Thank you.

I also added npjohnson/android_vendor_google_pixel to roomservice but the apps do not seems to be included. How do I include them in the build? I sideloaded GoogleCamera.apk and it works fine.
yeah, you won't be able to build exactly this, you would need a private gapps repo. You need to build with something like MindTheGapps included, then hand include the product.mk file

Reactions: kennkanniff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the unofficial Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/ViLTE/WFC) is nonfunctional due to incompatibilities with older proprietary binaries
    • Sound Trigger (Screen-off "Hey Google" detection) is nonfunctional due to incompatibilities with older proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them on this thread, and make sure to include logcat/dmesg as applicable.
    Notes:
    • GApps are baked in, alongside other Pixel goodies - No, I will not be building without GApps included for this device. These builds are built, packaged, and signed by me, and not affiliated with LineageOS whatsoever. OTA is provided the same way officials would have them.
    • This will likely never be official. At minimum, IMS would need to be fixed, and I haven't cracked it (yet). If you can get IMS working, please contact me, and we can work together!
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/npjohnson/android_kernel_google_marlin
    My experience these first weeks: the phone is very fast and responsive, battery lasting longer than last official stock firmware (Android 10). The following are the only issues I've found:

1. Automatic brightness going too low in the dark: This was present at least in the past two releases.
    2. Android Auto not working in the car ("Test App" appears on screen when connecting to car USB). There's a workaround in the forums where you need to copy the .apk to a system folder here, or re-flashing gapps. This was also present in the last releases.

Great job!
    1. I can take a look into this. Nothing has changed in auto-brightness since 18.0's initial push, so it must be device specific. Does it just go black?
    2. Yeah, we can't fit full GMS - AA is one of the things I sacrificed to get GMS to fit.
    I've found issues that the settings app seems to crash if you enter the permission screen on some (all?) apps. Just go into Facebook or Messenger or whatever and try to disable the microphone and there's a good chance for a crash

Also, I've definitely noticed what was mentioned above. This ROM seems to have 0% screen brightness as an option. The official LineageOS 16.1 does not.
    Permissions: Doesn't happen for me - do you have Magisk or something?
    Thank you for great work!

Bugs:
    - WiFi MAC randomization toggle in Developer Options is not working, but AFAIK MAC randomization isn't even supported by original Pixel devices
    - sRGB toggle in Developer Options not working
    - Brightness/dimming acts funky and sometimes reduces brightness to 0 by itself, then the screen becomes unresponsive for a short time
    1. Expected, I disabled the function, it's broken, but there's no easy way to hide it.
    2. Yeah, but color profiles through LiveDisplay should work in it's place?
    3. I've hit this on stock a few times, wondered if it was my device or what - maybe a hardware digitizer bug?
    Thanks for the August update dude! You're one humble dude for not posting that here.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the unofficial Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/ViLTE/WFC) is nonfunctional due to incompatibilities with older proprietary binaries
    • Sound Trigger (Screen-off "Hey Google" detection) is nonfunctional due to incompatibilities with older proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them on this thread, and make sure to include logcat/dmesg as applicable.
    Notes:
    • GApps are baked in, alongside other Pixel goodies - No, I will not be building without GApps included for this device. These builds are built, packaged, and signed by me, and not affiliated with LineageOS whatsoever.
    • This will likely never be official. At minimum, IMS would need to be fixed, and I haven't cracked it (yet). If you can get IMS working, please contact me, and we can work together!
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/npjohnson/android_kernel_google_marlin
    Thank you so much 🤗