[UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 19.1 for Amlogic G12*/SM1 Family Devices

Search This thread

goapy

Dec 30, 2021
thanks! just in case our models are different, mine's a "DT-ATV36" although i highly doubt they are different. i forgot the firmware i started with before i installed, but i later flashed the walmart firmware (from the factory images provided in this post), so thats what it is for me right now.

I checked another wade device. It had been in storage and had older firmware installed.

It did have problems running recovery, both by direct boot or if flashed. Best I could tell, it was the particular dtb installed that would allow recovery to boot/run or not

Better to just wait for the real build since it's being worked on presently.

RDS5

I checked another wade device. It had been in storage and had older firmware installed.

It did have problems running recovery, both by direct boot or if flashed. Best I could tell, it was the particular dtb installed that would allow recovery to boot/run or not

Better to just wait for the real build since it's being worked on presently.
oh alright! i think the dtb partition is flashable, no? although id prefer not to mess with it anyways since it'd probably brick the thing anyways.
but theoretically, you could probably flash an older dtb, although i think in the factory images, you do flash the dtb of the build (older walmart build on the original post). i had both the latest build (from amazon) and the older walmart build (from the original post) and both failed to launch the 19.1 recovery, so its safe to say that the 19.1 recovery for wade is practically cooked on most devices.
especially new ones.

goapy

Dec 30, 2021
I'd just leave the device alone. I tried the dtb from the build. It didn't work. Although, of course, recovery does work with that dtb if the build is successfully sideloaded. I then tried another dtb from one of the ota archives, and recovery would then directly boot. But I still had trouble with installation. I gave up and just pulled the super.img off my other wade device that had 19.1 installed already and installed the build with bootloader fastboot.

There is still the black screen issue with this xda build, which has been fixed but not in this build, so it's not really worth the time to finagle an installation of this build. The xda builds of 19.1 for the other devices have issues with the recovery as well.

Last edited:

pddc

Jan 29, 2015
for the life in me, I cannot get ethernet working on 18.1, OTG or powered HUB. anyone has this working and could share parts used? thanks

TabascoJoe

Jul 20, 2007
If you do, post your thoughts about any changes that you notice from the prior build.
Without a working recovery I'm going to wait...
When I flashed a 19.1 image with the 18 bootloader it was broken beyond useable...
Images would crash and never load...
Not sure if it was due to the mismatched recovery, but I figured I'd wait.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Since you know why and how to fix it, what's the reason that dopinder won't boot, and what would it take to fix it?

Asking for a curious friend.
What I initially suspected was wrong.

My dopinder is broken. It shot up blue smoke and won't shot any life.

I need to find time to debug it and get one of the lineage devs to get me a UART log.

goapy

Dec 30, 2021
Without a working recovery I'm going to wait...
When I flashed a 19.1 image with the 18 bootloader it was broken beyond useable...
Images would crash and never load...
Not sure if it was due to the mismatched recovery, but I figured I'd wait.
I'll guess I'll have to try it tonight then. I'm hesitant to tempt fate with a friday-the-13th build, but I won't be able to resist.

goapy

Dec 30, 2021
What I initially suspected was wrong.

My dopinder is broken. It shot up blue smoke and won't shot any life.

I need to find time to debug it and get one of the lineage devs to get me a UART log.

It's true that lineage-19.1-20220513-recovery-dopinder.img won't boot from a device that is otherwise stock.

But I installed the lineage-19.1-20220513-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder build by means other than by using the build's recovery installation method, and it boots fine.

I installed the com.netflix.ninja apk that I had pulled from the actively running dopinder stock system on the 19.1-20220513 build, and it installs and runs! Very exciting.

I didn't check if using the build's dtb/dtbo before attempting to boot the build's recovery would make any difference, because I didn't know if that could mess up the stock system before I'd even have a chance to try to boot the build's recovery.

Reactions: jwchen119

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
Sorry to ask what's quite obviously somewhat answered somewhere, but I've read through and can't find how people are getting 18.1 running on dopinder if it's broken and reported to bootloop. is there some adp method or something i'm missing?

goapy

Dec 30, 2021
I didn't check if using the build's dtb/dtbo before attempting to boot the build's recovery would make any difference
I've found that by flashing dtb.img, dtbo.img, and boot.img from lineage-19.1-20220513-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder.zip, in addition to flashing the recovery image (lineage-19.1-20220513-recovery-dopinder.img), the lineage-19.1-20220513 recovery will boot on dopinder coming from a device that has a factory build installed.

However, when attempting to repeat these steps again from the beginning (after flashing back the factory firmware), I noticed that the dirty data partition flag got set, but when it got set, it did not boot to the lineage-19.1-20220513 recovery that was installed, it just didn't boot.

So, I rebooted and executed "fastboot erase data" and "fastboot erase cache", and then it functioned properly. These steps need to be inserted somewhere in order to have a reliably repeatable process.

Of course, it is fine just to use the 18.1 recovery (instead of the above steps) until this gets fixed, because the recovery partition will be overwritten to the 19.1 recovery as part of the installation anyway.

Last edited:

kennkanniff

May 6, 2013
If you're stuck in a recovery bootloop, you should first try writing back a misc partition that does not contain the recovery flag. If that doesn't work, try tricking the device by redirecting recovery to boot, i.e., build this u-boot:
Code:
run_command("mmc dev 1; setenv lock 10100000; setenv recovery_part boot; save", 0);
I still have one device that is stuck with bad recovery that was on unrooted stock. I cannot connect to the device over ADB and am unable to enable wireless ADB because it is unrooted.

Is there a 'run_command(...);' that boots straigth to bootloader? I can compile u-boot myself.

Last edited:

goapy

Dec 30, 2021
I cannot connect to the device over ADB

Why is this the case? Is this inability particular to the version of the factory build that you have installed? Where is the failure? Are the dev options not available, or does adb over usb just not connect?

Already tried that. Does not work. Thanks though.

Since your device is exploitable and unlocked, have you considered installing fred's boot-from-usb ubuntu build?

Fred's ubuntu build preceded the unlock method release, and at the time of its release would have been of no use for a situation like yours because any attempt to modify the emmc system from the temporarily usb-booted system would cause avb to fail.

But since your device is unlocked and exploitable, you could use the temporarily usb-booted ubuntu system to dd a factory recovery image back to the emmc, and avb wouldn't be an issue. Fred's method also enables aml v2 factory burn via the reset button, which could give you another vector to write the recovery partition using the update utility via burn mode. The same methods could also be used to write a magisk-patched boot image to the boot partition.

Using an update command with burn mode may also provide a method to instantaneously boot to bootloader fastboot, without even rebooting the device.

The only issue you may run into when trying to do this is that the bootloader version may be stale relative to the bootloader that is currently installed on your device, so the bootloader used, or fred's method of disabling anti-rollback detection may need to be adjusted to take into account the bootloader version currently installed on your device. Also check if the temporary system uses its own environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennkanniff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Additionally, dopinder, wade, and Deadpool all boot now.
    Fun fact - GXL/GXM support is incoming. VIM1/VIM2/ADT-2 to start, but people should be able to use these to bring up dev boards and china boxes with nominal effort.
    People who brick their Sabrina - here's a gift: https://github.com/npjohnson/sabrina-unlock/blob/main/repair.sh

This will repair pretty much any Sabrina that is broken.
    Still stuck at fastboot.
    i will run a build shortly and check whats going on
    Build for M5 flashes fine but is stuck at bootlogo. I ordered an USB serial cable so I can help debug.
    I have a uart header installed on all of my devices, including sabrina.

The uart log provided no useful information when trying to understand the 19.1 recovery issue.

The last thing shown in the log was "Starting kernel ...", and then nothing (in perpetuity) until the device was manually rebooted.

Although it may not have been set to log level, because a successful boot would have just followed with the uart console starting.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Amlogic G12*/SM1 Family Devices
    Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Unofficial Lineage OS 19.1 thread for the Amlogic G12*/SM1 SoC family of devices.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed:
    • deadpool - Google ADT-3
    • dopinder - Walmart Onn UHD Box
    • sabrina - Chromecast with Google TV - Broken at the moment - working on fixing it.
    • wade - Walmart Dynalink 4K Box
    We also support a few development boards, but at least (for now, until we have time to write up instructions), you're on your own to figure out the install process and set things up:
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • SELinux is permissive, this is only due to a lack of time to put together a decent looking sepolicy for these devices.
    • (sabrina only) The remote firmware sometimes gets hung up, you can reboot to solve this issue.
    Notes:
    • GApps are baked in - No, I will not be building without GApps included for this device. These builds are built, packaged, and signed by me, and not affiliated with LineageOS whatsoever.
    • OTA is provided the same way officials would have them.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so you'll end up on the newest version of compatible firmware after install. Please don't touch firmware partitions after install.
    FAQ:
    • Does L1 Widevine DRM break when I unlock my bootloader?

Nope, it works fine. L1 certificates, and the mechanism that reports is all still exist and work as expected.

• Can I haz Netflix?

Yup, but only if your devices stock build supports it.

• Is this Android TV or Google TV?

Android TV, with some of the better components of Google TV.

• Can I go back to stock and relock the bootloader?

Yeah, grab the factory image for your device and flash it just like you would for a Pixel device, you can find the factory images here. Don't know it I'd relock though, consider that process largely untested on these device. Especially on sabrina, where you can't necessarily re-unlock should you ever want to.

• Are these the stock codenames for these devices?

Astute observation, no, they are not. The ADT-3 is actaully `adt3`, but earlier in production is was `deadpool`, which is much cooler. The Dynalink box internally is extremely similar to the ADT-3, so we coined it `wade` after Wade Wilson, AKA deadpool. The Onn box is in the same family, but different enough to coin it `dopinder`, after, well, go watch Deadpool the movie I guess. sabrina is actually the codename given by Google - no clue as to the reason.

• Does it pass SafetyNet?

Nope, SELinux is permissive, among other things. You can probably use Magisk if you really need that, but the good news is, 99% of Android TV apps don't care about SafetyNet, unlike on mobile, where a lot of them do. It will likely pass after we finish enforcing SELinux, though.

• Does the stock remote work?

Yup, just like it would on stock, in-remote-microphone and all! If it's an IR remote like wade's, it will even work in recovery!

• Can we we support higher resolution than 4K, higher FPS, or HDR on non-certified screens?

Nope.

• I have a very similar device! Can I install these builds and use them?

No. Please don't do that. You will brick your device, as we include firmware and bootloader images.

If you're a developer looking to help port to a new device, contact me.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_amlogic_linux-4.9

Contributors:
    • npjohnson
    • stricted
    • webgeek1234
    • deadman96385
    • trautamaki
    • luca020400
    • aleasto
    • bgcngm
    Yeah, you used the stock recovery. You need to fastboot flash, then fastboot boot recovery, I'll update the docs.

For dopinder, it's needed right now.

Found a procedure for dopinder without the need for keyboard/OTG.

The docs under "Installing a custom recovery using fastboot" state to use "adb reboot fastboot" which doesn't work for booting recovery, needed to do "adb reboot bootloader" instead.

Full command log (after unlocking bootloader and re-enabling USB debugging) of the install process with just a regular Micro USB to USB A cable:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery lineage-18.1-20210805-recovery-dopinder.img
    fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210805-recovery-dopinder.img
    adb reboot sideload
    adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210805-UNOFFICIAL-dopinder.zip
    # if successful then load bootloader and factory reset
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot

Successfully booted to LineageOS after this!
    Note:

Since the Lineage Android TV Builds for this little box (aka Boxes), are stable for the most part, but seems
    people are bouncing back in forth from Stock to Lineage and back to stock.

I created a batch file that will auto flash the stock images and wipe data and so on.. pretty much it will
    make your box as it was when you first booted it after taking it home to try it.

2nd, I also created a batch file that will backup current images.. No need for a fancy recovery or anything like the
    such. it will use the worldcup or what I like to say, USB Burn mode, and backup each and every partition.
    as well as some not so much needed ones like, misc and metadata. (Just for giggles)..

backups will be copied to backup dir, I also created a separate batch file to restore your backup.

I am one that hates doing things the long way over and over, so I always create ways to make things simple
    in the future for people.

This way, you all can test your hearts out all the new lineages and still have your full Stock backup (including data).
    and restore back in forth as you wish.

I will upload the backup_restore zip package as soon as I can and with @npjohnson permission I will link
    in thread. Otherwise you will have to just DM/PM me and ill link you the location.

I am just trying to help the many that I seen complain and dont understand how to go back in forth.
    so with this script, it should take care of most on that. No Fancy Recovery needed...

you will need worldcup driver for Amlogic........ you can find that on your own.

Also, to get into USB Burn mode, press side button while plugging in USB cable.
    Keep pressing till you see the LOGO or hear the sound from your computer.

then just run the batch file and wait..

if its easier for you:

Run the batch file, it will keep saying waiting for device..
    Just press the side button while plugging in USB, when you see it start, then release button...........
    and wait till finished..

Only TESTED On Dopinder Boxes, but im sure they are all the same as for the partition layouts.
    I ultimately settled on 1126400000, gives ~1.1GB to the system and accommodates the app adjustments I've been making for my builds without tripping OpenGApps' space check for TV stock
    this ended up being _wayyyyy_ to much, as this is the full value of the partition vs just the space to reserve, both will work, but we want to split it amongst partitions. One of our guys recalculated it and got it working.

Should be good to build now from breakfast/extract-files (or syncing the muppets).

Only thing left is hardware OMX. Hopefully we can figure it out!
    It's been a month and a half since we discussed the possibility of the tablet-flavored (non-TV) release. It seems that the number of complaints has decreased and the basic quality of builds has improved enough to bother you again in this regard: are there any positive changes in this direction, or it is not worth expecting to get a full-featured Android on dopinder? (I'm still following this thread carefully to make a buying decision.)
    Eh, soon, sure.

I'll look into making a buildable target