[UNOFFICIAL][ROM]ALPHA LineageOS 19.1 for SM-T710 - Mar 18, 2024

Search This thread

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-19.1-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-gts28wifi.zip

NOTE: lpedia has personally tested each build on his device to boot and function as described in post #1. Having said that, there's still a chance it won't work on your device due to human error, your configuration, your apps, etc. If it won't boot, always start with a complete wipe of everything and format your data in TWRP. This is known has a clean install. Backup your data before a clean install.

Nov 11, 2022 release notes
1. YOU MUST read posts 1-4 if you haven't already.

2. Nov 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:S_asb_2022-11

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyrat and RaySCLA

Kyrat

Jul 30, 2015
Nicee! I sent you a mp :D

NOTE: lpedia has personally tested each build on his device to boot and function as described in post #1. Having said that, there's still a chance it won't work on your device due to human error, your configuration, your apps, etc. If it won't boot, always start with a complete wipe of everything and format your data in TWRP. This is known has a clean install. Backup your data before a clean install.

2. Nov 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:S_asb_2022-11

Pawel_

I am an owner of T719 with Linearge 16 and I have bought second S2, model T710, in order to install this ROM.
Installed lineage-19.1-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-gts28wifi.zip and is seems to be fine but I have found one bug. When you turn on the internet speed counter to be visible on the screen it always shows 0 for up and down.

Second, thing which is most important for me is how to limit CPU performance in order to save battery?
T719 if warm when I use it, T710 becomes hot I mean really hot that I can't even keep my finger on the screen in the right middle to the top area.
Turning on extreme battery save doesn't change too much.

Is is possible to add in setup this slider as on LOS16?
636237061578438161.jpg

Which software I can use (having root) to limit CPU or change governor to powersave?
I don't need too much performance, for me it is mainly ebook reader.

Reactions: Kyrat

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Installed lineage-19.1-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-gts28wifi.zip and is seems to be fine but I have found one bug. When you turn on the internet speed counter to be visible on the screen it always shows 0 for up and down.
The above is not a bug. In FAQ 17, LineageOS talks about legacy devices which the S2 tablets are. Since our 3.x kernel will never support eBPF, it won't count packets being sent/received which is why it always show 0 bytes.

If you use 18.1, that functionality should work, but I can't be sure since I never use it and my T710/T810 are doing some other long term tests at the moment and I can't reboot and flash to confirm.
Second, thing which is most important for me is how to limit CPU performance in order to save battery?
T719 if warm when I use it, T710 becomes hot I mean really hot that I can't even keep my finger on the screen in the right middle to the top area.
Turning on extreme battery save doesn't change too much.
If you're just using the T710 as an e-reader and the screen is super hot, then there's something wrong. Did you do a clean install + FORMAT DATA in TWRP?

You can try 18.1 to see if it's any better. In 19.1, I used a new power profile/code vs 18.1.

I've never had hot touch problems in 18.1 or 19.1 I know @lpedia uses his T710 as an e-reader and maybe he can offer some observations?
Is is possible to add in setup this slider as on LOS16?
636237061578438161.jpg
If it's not in LineageOS 19.1, then it's not included. I can't add features that have been deprecated. That's way too much work and likely to break things when porting a feature 3 generations old.
Which software I can use (having root) to limit CPU or change governor to powersave?
I don't need too much performance, for me it is mainly ebook reader.
You can try a variety of kernel managers to change the governor, but I haven't tested anything other than interactive. There could be bugs in the other governors including no deep sleep, random reboots, etc. I won't be troubleshooting any of that kernel code.

If battery life is important to you, I suggest:

1. Since this is your backup device, experiment without using gapps. Aurora Store will download the exact same apps from playstore and many apps will work without gapps.
2. Enable airplane mode and only have wifi on, gps/bluetooth off.
3. Look for ad-free open source apps.
4. Enable battery saver.

Just remember that since you bought the T710 used, there's no guarantee that the battery is in good shape. It could be degraded and not have much capacity left.

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
I've never had hot touch problems in 18.1 or 19.1 I know @lpedia uses his T710 as an e-reader and maybe he can offer some observations?
Just remember that since you bought the T710 used, there's no guarantee that the battery is in good shape. It could be degraded and not have much capacity left.

@Pawel_ - I have never witnessed battery overheating with my T710's battery. I bought the device new in December 2015 and have used it regularly ever since. It still has the original battery, and it doesn't get hot.

As @retiredtab says, there's no guarantee that the battery in a used device is in good shape. It should not be getting too hot to touch under any circumstances. Overheating most often means the battery is faulty.

What OS was this T710 running when you bought it? Was the battery overheating then? Have you tested the device with stock Samsung code?

Pawel_

I bought it used with stock Samsung Android 7, haven't used too much this software as I wanted LOS19.1.
Done clean install with formatting all partitions.

Looking for a picture from iFixit about battery replacement it seems that CPU is in area that is getting hot, marked in red in the picture below. It appears to be expected then.
Still I am surprised how hot it gets as I never experienced the same temperatures on T719 which I have more than a year. Maybe it is just a difference between Snapdragon and Exynos.

Area where battery is placed is not overheating during usage or charging.
1668759895576.png

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Looking for a picture from iFixit about battery replacement it seems that CPU is in area that is getting hot, marked in red in the picture below. It appears to be expected then.
Still I am surprised how hot it gets as I never experienced the same temperatures on T719 which I have more than a year. Maybe it is just a difference between Snapdragon and Exynos.

Area where battery is placed is not overheating during usage or charging.

If it's not the battery that's overheating, there could be hardware problems, such as a failed or disconnected CPU fan.

My T710's CPU does not normally run hot. The only time I have seen that happen was when a system process actually ran out of control (in an earlier version of LOS), occupying 100% of the CPU. The screen went blank, and the device was rapidly getting hot. I was able to connect with adb, find the malfunctioning process, and kill it. The screen came back on and the CPU cooled down quickly.

I would expect the CPU to get quite warm if you're running an app that's a heavy CPU user (some games, for example) - but I still wouldn't expect it to be too hot to touch, unless some process is actually running out of control like that. But if that was happening the screen would probably be blank or unresponsive.

What app/s are you running when it gets so hot?

Dr_MC

Aug 16, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I am a happy user of retiredtab's Lineage 18.1 for T710. Are there any advantages to moving to 19.1? I am not a power user, although I sometimes look for specific files though myfiles types of apps and copy or move them.

Thanks

Dr_MC

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I am a happy user of retiredtab's Lineage 18.1 for T710. Are there any advantages to moving to 19.1? I am not a power user, although I sometimes look for specific files though myfiles types of apps and copy or move them.
If you're happy with 18.1, just stay with that unless you need a feature that's only in Android 13.

Reactions: Kyrat and Dr_MC

Ayle

Nov 20, 2006
Is there a special process to install nikgapps? I've tried queueing the install right after the ROM and also reboot before flashing. I see no error during the install but when I boot, there are no gapps installed... I may just go back to 18.1 for the time being.

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Is there a special process to install nikgapps? I've tried queueing the install right after the ROM and also reboot before flashing. I see no error during the install but when I boot, there are no gapps installed... I may just go back to 18.1 for the time being.

Your best bet when having problems with any particular gapps is to search the thread for that gapps - in this case, https://xdaforums.com/t/android-13-gapps-nikgapps-arm64.3915866/. If you don't find the solution already there, ask the question in that thread.

haircut313

Jun 19, 2013
I don't know it may be my device. but I have using this 20111 rom just fine for a while now. but now the auto rotate function just stopped suddenly.it could be a hardware issue?

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
I don't know it may be my device. but I have using this 20111 rom just fine for a while now. but now the auto rotate function just stopped suddenly.it could be a hardware issue?

I've never seen this on any of my LOS devices. It seems unlikely that the operating system would suddenly stop being able to rotate the screen.

Apps can control auto rotation, though, and some might also prevent the system / other apps from rotating the screen. Did you install any apps just before this started happening? If so, try removing those.

If it's not an app turning it off, it could be a sensor failure. Auto rotation uses the accelerometer sensor, and if that isn't working auto rotate won't work either. You could install something like DevCheck and see if the sensor is working.

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Where do I go to check accelerometer sensor?

Once you've installed DevCheck (available from Play Store or Aurora Store; doesn't need Google services), go to its "Sensors" tab and see what the Accelerometer is doing. The realtime graph should change as you move the tablet and turn it around. If it doesn't, or doesn't respond by much, the accelerometer might not be working properly.

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Oops - didn't see @retiredtab's response before I posted. 😉

The accelerometer graph has x, y, and z components to detect movement in three dimensions. They should change differently depending on how you're holding the tablet and how you move it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build called lineage-19.1-20240318-UNOFFICIAL-gts28wifi.zip

NOTE: All builds that I upload have been personally tested on my device to boot and function as described in post #1. Having said that, there's still a chance it won't work on your device due to human error, your configuration, your apps, etc. If it won't boot, always start with a complete wipe of everything and format your data in TWRP. This is known has a clean install. Backup your data before a clean install.

Mar 18 , 2024 release notes
    1. Mar 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:S_asb_2024-03
    2. The built in files, camera and music apps crash unless SElinux policy is updated. This is precisely WHY each build is tested before being uploaded. See
    https://github.com/retiredtab/andro...mmit/519a249a5fd8105817fbc033b78fa10a82304acb
    3. For 2024, going forward 19.1 will be built on March, June, September and December ONLY.

LineageOS 19.1 UNOFFICIAL for 2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T710 ONLY​

Model: SM-T710 (wifi) - gts28wifi - 8" screen, Exynos 5433 SoC, no LTE
    This is the ONLY model that the ROM will work on.

There is NO ROM for the T715 or T815 in this thread. Questions about T715 or T815 will be completely IGNORED.

You MUST READ posts 1-4 (about 10 minute read) before deciding to install this rom. If you think this is an unreasonable request, then stop reading now and find another rom. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER

I am not responsible for lost data, identity theft, lost money, security vulnerabilities, bricked devices or any other hardware or software malfunctions that comes as a result of flashing this rom.

All involved in bringing this build to you are working voluntarily on it in very limited spare time, and their other life commitments have much higher priority. Don't expect a prompt, or even any, response to questions and bug reports.

Before attempting to install this ROM

1. Ask yourself: would bricking your device be a disaster for you? If yes, don't try this ROM! It can't be guaranteed stable and reliable enough to depend on for daily use.
    2. BACKUP YOUR DATA AND EXISTING ROM. Be prepared for a complete restore if anything goes wrong.
    3. RESEARCH adb, fastboot, Odin/heimdall, and TWRP and how to use them, if not already familiar with these.

What works

1. bluetooth
    2. wifi
    3. brightness
    4. external audio
    5. GPS
    6. audio through headphone jack
    7. audio over bluetooth
    8. selinux enforcing
    9. DRM level 3 (SD definition)
    10. deep sleep
    11. camera

1. fingerprint is completely removed in 19.1. When I tested it in March 2022, it wasn't compatible with keystore2 and as I wrote in post 1891 at

https://xdaforums.com/t/...t810-t815-t815y.3879302/page-95#post-85533725

it never worked properly after deep sleep. If you need fingerpint to work, stay with stock Samsung rom.

2. DRM level 1 (no HD definition). There's more detail in post 1891 above. I will not be trying to achieve level 1 for HD definition. If you need HD definition for your $treaming media, stay with stock Samsung rom.

3. workaround to disable scoped storage. In 18.1 there was a workaround to disable scoped storage, but that no longer works in 19.1. So if you have a lot of apps or data on an external microsd, the performance may be severely degraded.

4. If you charge the device while it's powered off and then want to power it on, you MUST wait at least 30 seconds AFTER disconnecting the charger cable before pressing the power button otherwise you might run into strange boot problems.

5. keyboard bug workaround. When prompted to enter something like a Bluetooth pin or text based password, sometimes the keyboard is not shown on the screen or off screen. The workaround is to goto settings, system, languages & input, on-screen keyboard, Android Keyboard (AOSP), appearance & layout, theme and choose "Material - follow system settings".

This keyboard bug is a LineageOS bug as per

https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_packages_inputmethods_LatinIME/+/325438

6. If you are repeatedly seeing “Connected to device. Can’t provide internet” (CPI), it's mandatory that you do a complete clean install including formatting data in TWRP and reinstalling all your apps. It's highly likely that CPI is because you did a dirty flash or one or more of your apps/configuration is messed up.

7. Possibly other features that I haven't tested or do not use.

Source Code

See FAQ 1 for links in post #2.

Thanks

1. LineageOS team for source code.

2. In alphabetical order.

@ananjaser1211
    - helping out with libGLES_mali problem when I couldn't figure out why T810, for 3 months, wasn't booting with graphics
    - answering more 5433 related questions wrt to certain features.

@bluess57
    - joining the team and helping fix some of the legacy code problems
    - pending code commits to come in the future

@bmwdroid
    - testing many pre ALPHA builds and reporting the results

@CuckooPenguin
    - testing many pre ALPHA builds and reporting the results, but sadly his T810 was killed by a cat (true story)

exynos5420 team
    - making suggestions regarding radare2 debugger/code analyzer when I couldn't figure out why T810, for 3 months, wasn't booting with graphics

Kyle Harrison
    - giving me a clue on how to fix the binder/keystore2 problem with msm8916 which ultimately led me to fix the same problem on the exynos5433 devices
    - sharing his code on his github repos where I could study his commits to help bring up 19.1
    - making code commits on LineageOS wrt to legacy devices like ours
    - sharing the repopicks necessary to bringup 19.1

@lpedia
    - testing many pre ALPHA T710 builds starting in April 2022 and reporting the results
    - verifying my build instructions work so that the technically inclined can build this from source
    - building, maintaining and most importantly, testing the T710 18.1 builds before monthly security patches release
    - volunteering to build, maintain and test T710 19.1 builds

@metterschling
    - reaching out and joining our group to help with code and fix problems
    - pending code commits to come in the future

@pflyaz
    - writing install instructions for the newbies

@simon-edwards
    - reaching out and joining our group to help with code and fix problems

@tarkzim
    - helping me fix the gpsd crash problem because I was missing the libutils library in my Android.bp file
    - sharing his code on his github repos where I could study his commits to help bring up 19.1 especially wrt to hal audio 2.0 and camera 1.0

@Yogi555
    - building, maintaining and most importantly, testing the T810 18.1 builds before monthly security patches release

As you can see, it's truly a team worldwide effort in getting this ALPHA 19.1 build out.
    Tab S2 T710 Upgrade Procedure for the LineageOS 19.1 ROM by retiredtab

These installation instructions work for both Tab S2 T710 and T810, starting from a device running stock Android 7.0. I have both devices and have tested the procedure on both. I am a Windows guy, so these instructions assume a Windows PC. I am a lifelong techie guy and an Android enthusiast. My current “production” devices are Samsung S22 Ultra and Samsung Tab S7, but I do love the size and performance of the Tab S2 T710 so am extremely happy that @retiredtab and @lpedia have been successful at making Lineage 19.1 run on the Tab S2. But I am not developer, so these instructions will work for any competent newbie who’s looking for LOS 19.1 on their Tab S2 tablet. I do realize there may be alternative approaches for those who have deeper Android tech knowledge than me, but this procedure does work every time.

Step 1 – Preparation
    1. Update your Tab S2 to the latest stock software.
    2. Install a micro-SD card into your Tab S2.
    3. Enable Developer Options – tap Build Number seven times.
    4. In Developer Options, turn on USB debugging.
    5. Connect your Tab S2 to your PC via USB and download onto the micro-SD card three files:
    6. Download to your PC TWRP_3.5.2_9_SM-T710_20210719_Unofficial.tar from retiredtab - Browse /SM-T710/TWRP at SourceForge.net (T710) or twrp-3.5.2_9-0-gts210wifi.img.tar from Download TWRP for gts210wifi (T810)
    7. Download to your PC Odin, from https://technastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Odin3_v3.14.4.zip, and extract the zip.

Step 2 – Install TWRP Recovery
    1. Power off your Tab S2.
    2. Launch Odin on your PC and press OK.
    3. Power up your Tab S2 into Download mode by holding down Home+VolDown+Power.
    4. Then at the Warning screen hit VolUp.
    5. Connect your Tab S2 via USB to your PC, and you should see Added!! in Odin.
    6. Click AP in Odin and select the downloaded TWRP.
    7. In Odin Options, uncheck Auto Reboot.
    8. Click Log tab again.
    9. Click Start in Odin.
      • Installing TWRP only takes a couple of seconds.
    10. You will see progress in the Log, and Pass at the top of Odin when done.

Step 3 – First boot into TWRP
    1. This part is tricky!
    2. Power down your Tab S2 by holding down VolDown+VolUp+Power.
    3. IMMEDIATELY the screen goes blank, hold down Home+VolUp+Power.
    4. Keep holding down until you see the TWRP home page.
    5. If you end up booting into Android rather than TWRP then you will have to repeat Step 2 and Step 3 again.

Step 4 – Backup your stock ROM
    1. In TWRP, select Backup, Select Storage to choose your micro-SD card, check all the partition boxes, and then swipe Backup.
    2. Confirm your backup is good
    1. In TWRP, select Wipe, then Advanced Wipe.
    2. Select all partitions except Micro SD Card (and USB OTG).
    3. Swipe to Wipe.
    4. Back, Back again, then Format Data
    5. Type yes, and tap check.
    6. Back, Back, Back, and select Restore.
    7. Select Micro SD card and your backup.
    8. Restore all partitions and allow restore to complete.
    9. Reboot to System, and confirm you are back to stock.

Step 5 – Install ROM and NikGApps
    1. In TWRP, select Wipe, then Advanced Wipe.
    2. Select all partitions except Micro SD Card (and USB OTG).
    3. Swipe to Wipe.
    4. Back, Back again, then Format Data
    5. Type yes, and tap check.
    6. Back, Back, Back, and select Install.
    7. Select your micro-SD storage.
    8. Select the Lineage-19.1 ROM.
    9. Add more Zips, and select nikgapps.
    10. Swipe to confirm Flash.
    11. Install takes about 3 minutes.
    12. Wipe Cache/Dalvik, and Swipe to Wipe.
    13. Reboot System.

Step 6 – Build your Android 12 Tab S2
    1. First boot into Lineage is less than a minute, and then the Lineage boot animation takes less than 1 minute before “Welcome to LineageOS” appears.
    2. At the end of the initialization process, be sure not to choose the Replace Lineage Recovery option, otherwise TWRP goes away.
    3. Set up your Android device per your preference. I am a mainstream Google/Google Play Apps user, and I have loads of Apps, so it takes me a long time to install my Apps and set the tablet up for daily use. If you are less of a pack-rat, it shouldn’t take long!
    4. I have found that, by not installing Magisk initially, I can restore all my Apps, including the sensitive ones such as Peacock, Netflix, Disney+, etc. All Apps run normally, and when I check Google Play/Settings and scroll to the bottom, I see “Device is certified”.
    5. I recommend leaving tablet completely alone during the initial Apps and Data restore process. When I get impatient and fiddle around as it’s copying I’ve seen crashes.
    6. Once all copying is done, do your unique Android setup. My go-to Android settings are:
    • Nova Prime Launcher (actually, gets selected during the initialization process, but I load my layout from backup at this time)
    • Microsoft Swiftkey
    • Screen timeout 30 minutes, and screen saver Clock
    • Dark theme off
    • Disable taskbar.
    • Plain dark blue wallpaper
    • Touch, screen locking, and charging sounds off
    • Battery %age next to icon
    • Default USB = File Transfer
    • Developer Options enabled, and USB and Rooted debugging selected
    • Window/Transition/Animator Scale all set to Animation Off
    • FX File Explorer
    • Microsoft Edge as default browser (with AdBlock enabled and Google as search and sync to my PC)
    • Raindrop, for all my cross-platform/device bookmarks
    • Advanced restart menu (to allow reboot into TWRP).

Step 7 – Make Root – Optional
    1. Restart Tab S2 into TWRP.
    2. In TWRP, install Magisk-v25.2.apk.
    3. Reboot System
    4. In Android install Magisk-v25.2.apk.
    5. Open Magisk and select zygisk in settings.
    6. Restart again.
    7. You now have root. I test by enabling root in FX File Explorer and granting root.

Step 8 – All done! Enjoy!
    1. I do a final and full TWRP backup once the device is solid on Lineage 19.1.
    If you're happy with 18.1, just stay with that unless you need a feature that's only in Android 13.
    Its working so smooth I like it! The only problem I found is the audio when I play videos in VLC player, didn't play the audio. Can't hear anything. ah! And sometimes my tablet reboots
    @Kyrat - does VLC audio work otherwise, eg to play music? If not, you probably have the same problem as I came across with some versions of VLC. There's no audio output at all with VLC's default audio output method, AudioTrack. Changing that to OpenSL ES fixed the problem for me.

That setting is in VLC Settings > Extra settings > Audio > Advanced > Audio output.