[UNOFFICIAL][ROM]BETA LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab A [SM-T550] Mar 11, 2024

Search This thread

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I do however have some issues with an app (the only one installed so far), that runs fine, but becomes sluggish after 2mn, and makes the tablet unresponsive.
What is the app called? Is that abbreviation of "mn" mean minutes or months?
I know it's not possible to transform a moped into a race motorcyle, but do you have any tricks to free resources, disable unnecessary features, etc... ?
See FAQ 16 in post #2.

Reactions: joke19

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-18.1-20220912-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

NOTE: All builds that I upload have been personally tested on my device to boot and function as described in post #1. Having said that, there's still a chance it won't work on your device due to human error, your configuration, your apps, etc. If it won't boot, always start with a complete wipe of everything and format your data. This is known has a clean install. Backup your data before a clean install.

Sept 12, 2022 release notes
1. Sept 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2022-09
2. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last July release (about 12,500 files had to be recompiled).

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-18.1-20221007-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

NOTE: All builds that I upload have been personally tested on my device to boot and function as described in post #1. Having said that, there's still a chance it won't work on your device due to human error, your configuration, your apps, etc. If it won't boot, always start with a complete wipe of everything and format your data. This is known has a clean install. Backup your data before a clean install.

Oct 7, 2022 release notes
1. Oct 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2022-10
2. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last July release (about 5,500 files had to be recompiled).

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-18.1-20221113-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

Nov 13, 2022 release notes
1. Nov 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2022-10
2. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last Oct release (about 5,000 files had to be recompiled).

Reactions: breversa

breversa

Mar 21, 2012
LG G4
Fairphone 2
Hi @retiredtab!
I know LineageOS 19 is your daily driver, but which version (18.1 vs 19) do you feel is snappier (or "less laggy as possible")?

My in-law is neither tech-savvy nor patient and I'm looking for the "fastest" one even if it's a previous version (and I'll have to try with all the GApps versions as well).

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
My in-law is neither tech-savvy nor patient and I'm looking for the "fastest" one even if it's a previous version (and I'll have to try with all the GApps versions as well).
Hmm, with your description "neither tech-savvy nor patient", I wouldn't give your in-law this 2015 entry level device with only 1.5GB DRAM. The entry level ipad 2022 at $300USD might be better a fit.

The difference between 18.1 and 19.1 is not material to me. That is, I can't tell a difference. However, I don't run any gapps and gapps will slow down the performance. The playstore sits in DRAM all the time consuming around 150MB DRAM.

I'm trying to get the most of the tablet they already have, not get them another one, hence my question.
I found v19 to run better than v18, but if they aren't patient - then you may not want to give them this device as the newer apps do require more resources to run. As an e-book reader, Netflix player device, and web browser - it works fine, just a bit slow - and seeing the message "this app is taking a while do you want to quit" does happen more than it should depending on what you are doing.

That said - managed expectations might work and of course, YMMV.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-18.1-20221210-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

Dec 10, 2022 release notes
1. Dec 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2022-12
2. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last Nov release (about 5,000 files had to be recompiled).

sad t550

Dec 18, 2022
Hi forum ,

Is there anyone out there who is willing to help a newbie out in flashing its sm-t550 tablet with a working modern version of the os ?

currently more and more apps require android version 8 or newer .

And i am stuck with the last official version 7.x

Tried to flash twrp , then reboot and go into recovery-mode , but no menu with the options to format data , mount and copy rom ......

any help highly appreciated

- re usage ;
monitoring in house energy system 4 apps , some video monitoring 1 app , email 1 app and whatssapp 1 app

no streaming , netflix or anything else

- have already watched a youtube movie , but after booting in recovery-mode i only get friendly android-man and no teamwin screen

Last edited:
@sad t550
1. Tap 7 times on the build version, it enables the developers option
2. Go dev.option, enable USB debugging
3. Start your Tab into download mode
4. Start Odin ,( as Admin ) under AP or PDA , select the latest TWRP.IMG.tar file
5. Disable on Odin factory reset ,auto reboot and repartion
6. Press Start after Odin shows "" Pass "" , reboot your Tab with the 3 Button combination into Recovery Mode.
Important: if your Tab boots into System , you have to try it again.

Into TWRP

1. Under wipe , select factory reset,
2. advanced wipe , wipe cache and dalvik, format system and data , also internal data if you come from Stock
3. Install your LOS Version from external SDcard
4. Wipe cache and dalvik, reboot system.

Is there anyone out there who is willing to help a newbie out in flashing its sm-t550 tablet with a working modern version of the os ?

I recommend following the steps provided, but deploying v19 instead.
https://xdaforums.com/t/unofficial-...-for-galaxy-tab-a-sm-t550-dec-9-2022.4479347/

Also, be mindful that depending on the app requirements you may not like the results - especially if you have to add gapps or the app itself requires a bit more horsepower than just an os version upgrade. I've had modern apps trigger the "app is not responding - close or wait" dialog - but that's expected given the available resources of this hardware.

Either way, the journey to get the OS replaced on these devices is a fun exercise.

Px80

Feb 19, 2012
how to remove root / jailbreak?
I got some apps that won't run as my tablet is rooted. How to unroot it but still use this rom?

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
New build called lineage-18.1-20230108-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

Jan 8, 2023 release notes
1. Jan 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2023-01
2. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last Dec release (about 4,500 files had to be recompiled).

haajee86

Jan 11, 2016
Drenthe, Netherlands
Hi, i got continuously disconnects from wifi. With different wifi AP in my house. Even only on 2.4GHz or 5GHz. It works ok when i setup a mobile hotspot on my phone. But how can i fix this? :(

Hi, i got continuously disconnects from wifi. With different wifi AP in my house. Even only on 2.4GHz or 5GHz. It works ok when i setup a mobile hotspot on my phone. But how can i fix this? :(
If it works ok on a different device - then it's probably not the tablet, but more likely something else. Too many variables (number of devices on AP, distance to AP, sensitivity configuration settings of AP, etc., etc. ) to troubleshoot and beyond the scope of this thread.
Of course, since you are running v18 - maybe see if upgrading to v19 helps? Of course, that's no guarantee that it will resolve your issue, but sometimes a complete refresh with just a clean OS can do wonders. Hope that helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE BEFORE YOU decide to try this rom, you MUST read all of post 1, 2, 3 and 4 (about 10 minute read). If you think this is an unreasonable request, then stop reading now and find another rom. Thank you.

I am not responsible for lost data, identity theft, lost money, security vulnerabilities, bricked devices or any other hardware or software malfunctions that comes as a result of flashing this rom.

BACKUP YOUR DATA AND OLD rom BEFORE trying my rom.

If you are NOT an expert in using fastboot, adb, odin, heimdall, twrp, DO NOT use this rom. You must know how to use these tools to revert back to your old rom.

If you are new to flashing custom roms, do NOT attempt this.

If you need your tablet for work and something important, do NOT flash this rom. This rom could result in a bricked device or boot loop or non booting device or you not being able to revert back to your old rom.

What works

1. bluetooth
    2. wifi
    3. brightness
    4. external audio
    5. GPS
    6. audio through headphone jack
    7. audio over bluetooth
    8. selinux enforcing

Thanks
    1. LineageOS team for source code.
    2. Pre alpha testers for the Samsung Tab A/E roms who provided valuable feedback: lpedia, Schaagi, katochwa, Henrick Grimler
    3. Huge thanks to Henrick Grimler https://github.com/Grimler91 for helping me reproduce a major bug in 18.1 which led me to find a solution. Henrick also helped fine tune some of the sepolicy as well.
    4. Sebastiano Barezzi https://github.com/SebaUbuntu for giving the msm8916 repo some 18.1 code updates in March 2021.
    5. Exynos5420 team for sharing it's knowledge in building roms.
    6. msm8916 team for their repos.
    7. aala27 for the device trees. He was nice enough to share his work so my build is based on his 17.1 with some minor changes.
    FAQ - I spent hundreds of hours building this rom. It was frustrating process from Nov 2020 to March 2021 running into bug after bug. The least you can do is spend a few minutes reading everything before posting.

Q1. Where are the source and kernel source files?
    A1. The kernel source files are at

The device tree files are at

The vendor tree files are at

In addition, there is a repo diff file for device specific tweaks needed to work and a roomservice.xml (local manifest file) file so you can build this rom yourself.

Q2. Is this BETA rom suitable as a daily driver?
    A2. It can be depending on your requirements. I can't test every app so you try it yourself to see if it's suitable. I've been using this rom myself since mid March 2021 with no major issues.

Q3. What if my app, xyz, doesn't work?
    A3. I won't answer questions regarding why your app doesn't work. If your app, whatever it is, doesn't work, then go back to your old rom. It's difficult enough building and maintaining these roms. Remember, I'm an unpaid volunteer making a rom for free for your benefit.

Q4. Your rom is laggy and buggy.
    A4. If you find the above, then go back to your old rom. There's only so much software can do on a 2015 budget level tablet. Remember a budget tablet will have the slower SoC/CPU and less DRAM than a top of the line model. Your tablet will also run slower when you use gapps (google apps). You can run a lot of software without using gapps. Research fdroid, newpipe, Aurora store etc.

Q5. What TWRP should I use?
    A5. You MUST use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0. Get it at.

Q6. Why should I use this rom?
    A6. You don't. If you don't like this rom, then don't use it. Yes, it's that simple.

Q7. Will you offer monthly updates with security patches?
    A7. I will try to offer monthly security patches, but that all depends on if I continue to have high speed Internet in the future.

Q8. Can you help me? I'm a newbie. Can you provide step by step instructions?
    A8. Do your own research. There are lots of tutorials, videos, etc on how to flash roms. Newbie questions must be posted in the Questions and Answers forum, not here.

Q9. Can I report a bug with respect to the rom?
    A9. Yes, but you need to supply the following information. If you don't, I won't look at it.

You must provide an adb logcat of the problem and tell me how to reproduce it. Note I will not be downloading any apps that require money or an userid/password. For example, if you have problems with Netflix, I cannot help you since I don't have a paid subscription. If you use some app that requires an userid/password, I cannot help you as I'm not willing to create another userid/password even if it's free.

To get a logcat, open up a terminal window.
    Code:
    # clear the logcat first
    adb logcat -c
    # start logcat trace
    adb logcat > problem.txt
    # reproduce problem
    # wait until problem has occured, then stop trace by hitting ctrl-c

Q10. Will you still build 17.1 for this device?
    A10. Yes, for now, but I will probably discontinue building 17.1 at the end of 2021. I will likely be trying to build 19.0 once it's released so I don't want to maintain 3 releases.

Q11. Do I need to erase everything and format my data?
    A11. Yes, you MUST erase all the partitions (system, data, dalvik/art cache, cache) using TWRP and MUST format your data before installing 18.1 when you are coming from stock or an earlier version of LineageOS or from another custom rom. If you get stuck at the boot animation for more than 5 minutes, it's likely because you didn't follow the instructions I just wrote. Dirty flashes from stock, other custom roms or older LineageOS versions are not supported and not likely to work.

Q12. What gapps should I use?
    A12. I don't use gapps anymore. I use Aurora Store. As of Nov 6, 2021, I no longer make recommendations on which gapps to use as your mileage may vary. It's reported that opengapps does no testing on their daily builds and some version results in bootloops, bitgapps may run out of disk space will installing apps and Mindthegapps as causing overall slowdown of the system.

The only recommendation I can make is to use the SMALLEST version of gapps which is PICO or equivalent naming convention. DO NOT use anything other than PICO. That is, do not use nano, mini, stock, etc.

Q13. I'm having problems with gapps, can you answer why it's not working?
    A13. I will not answer any questions regarding gapps. This thread is about the rom, not gapps and I don't use gapps so I cannot help you. Android does not depend on gapps in order to work.

Q14. Why isn't my post answered?
    A14. It's probably because it's answered in the FAQ or not relevant to the rom. Again, I do not run Windows OS or use gapps. Questions already answered in the FAQ will be completely ignored.

Q15. Can I turn off the on screen navigation keys?
    A15. To turn off on screen navigation, go to settings, system, advanced, gestures, system navigation, gesture navigation. It's enabled by default because I find it useful. If you don't like it, you only need to disable once and your preference will be remembered. If you want to invert the onscreen keys, goto settings, system, buttons and enable invert layout

Q16. What speed up/optimization tips do you suggest?
    A16.

1. Turn off animations. Go into developer settings, scroll down to the drawing section, and set window, transition and animator scale all to "off".
    2. If you don't have a google account, don't install gapps. Use Aurora Store to get your apps as you can get all the same apps from the play store using an anonymous login.
    3. Dont' run more than 2 apps at the same time. You can probably listen to music in the background and use a web browser at the same time, but don't expect great performance from a 2015 entry level tablet.
    4. Use a web browser like Brave that has built in adblock and privacy features.
    5. Use newpipe to watch your streaming content. It has built in adblock so you don't have to watch forced ads.
    6. Look for apps that are open source, ad free and lightweight.

Q17. Does this rom support Magisk?
    A17. I don't use Magisk myself so I don't know and Magisk is always being updated to fool Google's certification process. Others have reported Magisk as working, but I won't answer any questions regarding it.

Q18. Will this rom ever become official?
    A18. Never. I don't want the responsibilities that come with being an official maintainer. In addition, I know my device trees, code organization and git commits will NOT meet LineageOS standards. Remember, I'm an unpaid volunteer doing this in my free time and sharing my work with you for free so you can get hundreds of hours of enjoyment from this tablet.

Q19. What is the difference between this rom and others?
    A19. This rom tries to be pure LineageOS with little to no modifications. Other roms may have different UI, different bundled apps, etc. Use whatever meets your requirements.

Q20. Will there be any major 18.1 code modifications in the future?
    A20. I don't anticipate any major modifications. There may be some slight tweaking to the sepolicy, small bug fixes and minor code cleanup, but all the hard work in getting the rom up and running and fixing all the major bugs have been done completed. This doesn't mean the code is perfect or well organized, but I won't be doing any major changes now that 18.1 is working. Any major changes will be done in 19.0.

Q21. Why did you fork the device and vendor trees for 18.1?
    A21. The msm8916 repos seem geared towards phones and sometimes do not work or cause boot animation loops for tablets so I decided to fork their repos. In other words, what's deemed as msm8916-common code isn't common to all devices.

In addition, since I'm building SM-T350, SM-T550, SM-P550 and SM-T560NU (all use the same msm8916 code), it seems easier to maintain all of them if I can control my own code repos and not worry if my changes affects the phones or not. I still have not figured out the best way to manage all my repos and it's a work in progress.

Q22. Can you build a variant of this device? For example, a LTE or S-pen version.
    A22. If I don't physically have the device, I cannot and will not build it unless I can boot and test it myself. Even then, there's no guarantee that I can get those variant features working.

Q23. Can I load this rom on a variant devivce like LTE or S-pen version?
    A23. The rom is built for the device explicitly listed. If you are an advanced user and understand TWRP, adb, odin, heimdall, you can try loading it on a LTE or S-pen variant by modifying the updater-script, but it may cause a bricked device, bootloops or non functionality of LTE/S-pen. You have been informed and warned!

Q24. Will this run on the SM-T555?
    A24. No. Someone has tried and it will result in a bootloop.

Q25. Why are you releasing a ROM for a tablet that you do not own?
    A25. I don't own the SM-T550, but have the SM-P550. I also build roms for the SM-T350 and SM-T560NU. All these platforms use the same msm8916 code base. As such, all my work from the SM-T350, SM-T560NU and SM-P550 could possibly benefit SM-T550 users. For one P550 owner, there are probably twenty T550 owners.

The T550 rom does boot and run on my P550, but the x-axis is mapped backwards.

Q26. Okay, I understand the consequences and that this is BETA rom and willing to take the risks outlined, now where can I find the rom?
    A26. Downloads are at

New build called lineage-18.1-20211211-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

18.1 continues to be my daily driver since March 2021.

Dec 11 release notes
    1. Dec 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2021-12
    2. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last November release (about 11,000 files had to be recompiled).
    That's fair enough. I did see the FAQ 18 section you quoted, but didn't really understand it.... The links you provided pretty much add the context behind this - and I get where you're coming from now.
    If you want monthly security patches, Google releases them on the 5th of every month. Then it takes a few days for LineageOS to merge these patches into their code. Then it takes a few more days to get them tested and verified before the official merge happens.

So if you check on the 15th of every month, it's likely that I will have a 18.1 security patch made, tested and available for download. Sometimes it's earlier, sometimes it can be later. Alternatively, you can subscribe to this thread and eventually one of my posts will be announcing the Jan 5, 2022 security patch. Same goes for Feb 5, March 5, etc.

I plan to provide monthly 18.1 security patches for all of 2022. I will likely make a decision sometime September or October 2022 if 18.1 security patches will continue in 2023. That all depends on if I can get 19.0 up and running and how well it works compared to 18.1. If 19.0 runs well, then I will likely discontinue with security patches for 18.1 in 2023. Then I would make monthly security patches for 19.0 for all of 2023.
    New build called lineage-18.1-20210909-UNOFFICIAL-gt510wifi.zip

18.1 continues to be my daily driver since March 2021.

Sept 9 release notes
    1. Reverted the patch to https://github.com/retiredtab/andro...mmit/a32c7a0bed536281d20b7c1cf8d41c84a268cc80
    Removing systemUI from pinner services causes a 4 to 6 delay in bringing up the home screen. This is seen when loading or playing a game for about 20 minutes and then either hitting the recents or home button. By reverting this commit, pressing recents or home button brings up the systemUI right away.
    2. Sept 5 security patches as per https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android/+/315661
    3. Whatever LiineageOS changed since last August release (about 7,000 files had to be recompiled).