[UNOFFICIAL][ROM] LineageOS/Go 15.1 for Galaxy J5 [SM-J5008/H/F/FN/G/M/Y]

Search This thread

Zakaryan2004

Jun 1, 2017
Yerevan
A review of LineageOS 16.0 for J500H(this review is for the build I made a week ago but the bugs should be the same)

What's working:
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Camera
Audio
and other minor things

What does not work:
RIL(no calling and SMS/
Nearly all of the apps are "incompatible" in Play Store, but installing with APK should work Ok.
As expected, no option to wake the phone with Home key(because not implemented in LineageOS itself yet)
You can't enable virtual navbar from settings(but you can from build.prop. And if enabled, Swipe Up gestures work perfectly)
Digital Wellbeing works if the necessary gapps is installed and signed up to the beta program from Play Store
Videos don't play OS wide(Gallery app, YouTube, Settings which have video in it, any file explorer...)

Other things needed to take into considerationn:
Gallery app is very old(KitKat era) not the new one found in LineageOS 15.1
The boot time is more than 5 minutes mostly.(not the first boot)

I think this should help anyone decide whether or not to install the new LineageOS 16

Last edited:

HMMDR27D53-3002

Dec 28, 2017
Tested the LOS 16.0 today with my J500H (no Gapps) and same bugs other users reported here. What differs from other users is the audio (media) bug experienced - no audio signal: be it on Bluetooth or Speaker (BT Audio can be connected, just no audio output).
Apart from bugs, what works is the OS itself (boots and can finish the wizard, even without Gapps), camera (capture and preview) and video recording (with audio input), Bluetooth connectivity, and Wi-Fi.

Other than that, it's great that we have Android Pie for our device. :good:

Edit: It might be a random chance but BT Audio strangely work in my BT Headset (in my case using an external player; a very old, abandoned Winamp for Android). And in phone's speakers, too.

(Logcat in RAR attachment)

Attachments

• LOSPIE2.rar
    273.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

user325

Oct 29, 2017
Hey,

first i want to say thank you for your work... Even 3 years after release you develop lineageos 16 for a low level Smartphone from 2015.
But I have a question to lineage OS 15.1.
I've installed a few months ago a lineage OS build and i didnt have to install also the gapps, because gapps Were there. Now I want to update it. And I See there are two builds in lineage OS and lineage OS Go. Which build I have to choose and where I have also to install Gapps?

vince2678

Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2016
Hey,

first i want to say thank you for your work... Even 3 years after release you develop lineageos 16 for a low level Smartphone from 2015.
But I have a question to lineage OS 15.1.
I've installed a few months ago a lineage OS build and i didnt have to install also the gapps, because gapps Were there. Now I want to update it. And I See there are two builds in lineage OS and lineage OS Go. Which build I have to choose and where I have also to install Gapps?

If you already have gapps installed, you don't need to install it again during an update, as long as you're flashing an update over the system with gapps.

However, if you wipe system, or intend to update gapps, then you will need to flash a ROM update, then GApps immediately afterwards before rebooting. You will need to do this with either LineageOS or Go.

george.blah

Feb 10, 2018
Sim not recognised

Hello! Thanks for your efforts! Sim card is not recognized in the latest build of lineage os 15.1 for j5lte on my Samsung j5 2015 F model.

Edit: Apparently after a restart, the Sim card is recognized.

Last edited:

mzubairtariq

Sep 16, 2018
Lahore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Code:
    ** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
       phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
        world as we know it. You have been warned.

ROM Information

Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmwares or recovery images!
    Code:
    [B]SM-J500F/G/M/Y[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5lte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J5008[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5ltechn[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J500FN[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j5nlte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-J500H[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]j53gxx[/B][/COLOR]

Download

Instructions

If you are completely new to flashing custom ROMs and have no idea how to begin, start by downloading a TWRP image for your device from the links above and flash it using the ODIN tool (see below).

You cannot flash a custom ROM over stock recovery, so downloading a custom recovery is the first thing you will need to do.

If you are completely new to flashing custom ROMs and have no idea how to begin, start by downloading a TWRP image for your device from the links above and flash it using the ODIN tool (see below).

You cannot flash a custom ROM over stock recovery, so downloading a custom recovery is the first thing you will need to do.

Installation via recovery (TWRP/LineageOS Recovery)
    * Download a recent .zip file from the links above for your device.

* Reboot into recovery mode [Press Power+Volume Up+Home].

* Wipe your data and cache partition (equivalent to doing a Factory Reset)
    if you are coming from a stock ROM.

* Either: Plug in your phone into your computer, copy the zip file to a location on your Internal or External Storage on a device, click Install on TWRP on your phone and locate the zip file in the phone, or:

* Plug in your phone into your computer, and open Advanced->ADB Sideload on TWRP on your phone and swipe the slider to enter sideload mode.
    Then open a command prompt/terminal on your computer in the folder you put the file by Shift-Clicking (Shift+Right Click) and selecting "Open Command Prompt/Terminal Here" (you will need to have adb installed) and type:

adb sideload name_of_zip.zip

to sideload the file. Replace name_of_zip.zip with the name of the file. If you are running Linux you may need to type adb kill-server and use sudo adb sideload if you get an `Insufficient Permissions` error.

* Download and flash GApps in the same way.

How to provide logcats

Under Windows:

Code:
    [B]* Install samsung device drivers and then
     the adb utils from here:[/B]

[url]https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979[/url]

[b]* Then enable developer mode, connect your phone to usb,
     and from [B]cmd[/B] paste this command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > %userprofile%/Desktop/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]then try to reproduce the bug.[/b]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your desktop.[/b]

Under Linux:

Code:
    [b]* Install the adb utils from your distribution's
     package manager and execute the command:[/b]

[I]adb logcat > ~/logcat.txt[/I]

[b]then try to reproduce the bug.[/b]

[b]* The logcat file will be on your home directory.[/b]

* Create a bug report at https://bugs.msm8916.com/ and paste the logcat there.

* If you cant connect the device through adb on windows because the drivers, connect the device over wifi, enable adb over network on the quick setting tiles, and type:

Code:
    adb connect [ip address here]

And then the adb logcat command for windows.

FAQ

Q: Are you taking device requests?
    A: No.

Q: Are you accepting feature requests?

Q: Can you make XXX ROM as well as LOS?

Q: Can I throw money at you?
    A: Most certainly. Donations are always welcome.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [UNOFFICIAL][ROM] LineageOS/Go 15.1 for Galaxy J5 [SM-J5008/H/F/FN/G/M/Y], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    vince2678, minz1, deadman96385, Dyneteve,vlwwwwww
    Source Code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: >= 6.0.x MarshMallow
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-07-25
    Last Updated 2018-10-10
    Reserved

NOTE: Development/maintenance is still ongoing.

In case any clarification is needed: a member of the team quit (you know who). Myself (Vincent), Sean (@deadman96385) and Emery (@minz1) have been busy, and I unwell, for the past few months, so we have not been able to contribute as much as we would like, but make no mistake: we are the founders of this (Galaxy-MSM8916/53) teams, and our contributions in terms of both time, money and code are by far the greatest. We are committed as always, and as long as there is a community for msm8916/msm8953 devices, we will keep maintaining our sources and building ROMs for these devices.

If this is your first time flashing O, you will need to install the latest unofficial TWRP image for your device from the links above before flashing a zip image, otherwise installation of a zip will invariably fail.
    Reserved

What works

Code:
    [B]
    * RIL (in-call audio, messaging, [I]data possibly[/I])
    * Bluetooth (including audio)
    * WiFi
    * Audio (music, etc)
    * Camera (including video recording)
    * Flash
    * Sensors
    * GPS
    [/B]

Known Issues

Code:
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B] All *dual-sim* devices [/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Red"]BUG[/COLOR]][/B] [B] In-call audio is buggy on the second sim.[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]All devices[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Red"]BUG[/COLOR]][/B] [B] NFC does not work. This is indefinitely broken[/B]

Changelog

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]09/02/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Core control has been disabled permanently, in-kernel. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] NFC may (or may not) be working this build on capable devices.
       This is Untested. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Automatic brightness and night light enabled for capable devices. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Ambient display should be enabled on capable devices. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Rebased lineage-15.1 branches in repos. This is mostly
       for our benefit; just to tidy up the repos and make commit history more descriptive,
       accurate and give proper credits to commit authors. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Camera recording should be working again.
       This was broken due to upstream android security change. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Reworked zram support in ROM. There are now two zram properties:
    	[I]ro.config.zram.enabled[/I] and [I]ro.config.zram.size[/I]
    	Set [I]ro.config.zram.enabled[/I] [I]true[/I] to enable zram;
    	and [I]ro.config.zram.size[/I] to set the size of the zram disk.

If you set this too large the system will slow down. You can also just use a zram
      zip from the download server to do this automatically.[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]08/12/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Red"]BUG[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Camera recording is broken.
       This is due to upstream android security change. [/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Reworked zram support in ROM. There are now two zram properties:
    	[I]ro.config.zram.enabled[/I] and [I]ro.config.zram.size[/I]
    	Set [I]ro.config.zram.enabled[/I] [I]true[/I] to enable zram;
    	and [I]ro.config.zram.size[/I] to set the size of the zram disk.

If you set this too large the system will slow down. You can also just use a zram
      zip from the download server to do this automatically.[/B]

* [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Enabled zram by default for low-ram (1GiB) devices [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]07/26/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Camera recording should be working normally again [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] sdcard (vfat/fat32) should work fine in recovery [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Some stutter and lag issues have been fixed 
         (tweaked core_control, among others) [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] exFAT support has been restored [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Re-enabled QS transparency [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Removed go-gapps from lineage-go [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Reduced kernel logcat buffer size from 512KB to 256KB (slight RAM saving)[/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] zram has been disabled by default. If you want this, you can set the 
        property [I]ro.config.zram[/I] to true[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]06/03/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Frequency scaling issues should be fixed (stutter after suspend/resume should be gone). [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]06/01/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]MISC[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Go GApps are now embedded in LineageOS Go builds. [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]05/28/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Frequency scaling should be fixed (improved power savings) [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]05/21/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Thermal engine is now working proper (for better temperature control) [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Hidden Wi-Fi networks should now be connectable/reachable [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Power hal is now working proper (resulting in improved battery usage)[/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]MISC[/COLOR]][/B] [B] RIL includes updated [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Blue"]MISC[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Misc. kernel updates (sdcardfs, binder) [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]04/27/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Brightness adjustment should be fixed for the fortuna3g/SM-G530H[/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] In-call audio should be working for the second sim on dual-sim devices[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]04/24/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Sim detection should be fixed for fortuna* devices.[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]04/23/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]MISC[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Added fortuna* devices.[/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Video recording now works[/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Bluetooth audio is fully working[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]13/03/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] In-call audio should be working in the latest build[/B] 

* [B][[COLOR="Orange"]PARTIAL FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Camera flash and previews should be working, however, saving pictures or videos will not work. [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]06/02/2018[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Red"]REGRESSION[/COLOR]][/B] [B] In-call audio is broken [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]20/11/2017[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] WiFi is working[/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] RIL functions (Calling, texting, data) should be working, including in-call audio [/B]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]FIX[/COLOR]][/B] [B] Music and video playback should be working [/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="Black"][B]12/11/2017[/B][/COLOR]
    * [B][[COLOR="Green"]NOTE[/COLOR]][/B] [B] First working image built. [/B]

Hi.

New builds are up for all devices. See the third post (first page). But more importantly:

I usually don't ask for or expect much, but at this critical time we really need your financial support, and anything will go a long way. Our domain is expiring next week, and our server and needs upgrades, and money is needed for a faster network link, and the like, and all of us on the team have spent a lot of our own time and money to make this happen, and to keep it going.

We cannot keep forking money from our own pockets, because the cumulative cost over the past few years is really high
    (say, somewhere between $500-$1000) excluding previous donations.

I'm only saying this because we REALLY, REALLY need your financial support to keep this going.

I'm not asking for money for myself. This is all for the progress of maintenance/development.

We're all students or borderline broke, living from paycheck to paycheck, and we've done the best we can with what we have.

If you can donate a dollar, then do that. If you can donate more, then please do. But please, if you can, take the time to do so.

There are thousands (yes, thousands) of users downloading ROMs *every day* from our servers, tens of downstream clones of our repos and ROMs, and upwards of 30 devices supported, so this isn't an absurd request.

For the cost of a coffee, or whatever your favourite drink or snack is, you can help us keep this going beyond O.

If you can, donate to (Paypal): vincent.zvikaramba@mail.utoronto.ca

Thanks,

Vincent.

I can't get lattest netflix working.
    I pass safetynet (fully) but no netflix.
    Someone got it working?

i've installed the last version of lineageosGO and performance seems great. But i'm facing a bug(?) with the playstore, i dont know if it is problem with the gapps (i already installed 3 different ones) or if its a problem with the rom. The fact is, most of the apps that i use, like istagram, twitter, facebook, uber,etc. are aparently incompatiblle with my device. when i go to playstore and try to install anyone of those above, i get the message "your device is not compatible with this version". Is there anything that i can do to fix that? the rom is awesome, i really want to use it. Thanks for your time

I'm aware of this. There's a bug I missed, and only noticed by the time all the builds had run, which affects all that. I'll rerun the builds with a fix.

For the time being, you can set this prop and restart systemui, and the bug should be cleared :

Code:
     ro.opengles.version=196608