Unofficial TWRP (Testing)

Search This thread

Spaceminer

Sep 9, 2016
Olympus Mons
Moto E (2020)
Now deprecated. Go here instead. Mods can clean this out. https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g8/development/recovery-twrp-3-4-0-0-t4155045

First of all, I did not build this myself. I just pulled it apart and made some modifications to hopefully fix the touchscreen for you folks. I also do not own this device. This is a port from the Moto G8 Plus, and it's based off the awesome work done by @mauronofrio

Disclaimer provided by twrp.me, with an addition by myself;
Team Win strives to provide a quality product. However, it is your decision to install our software on your device. Team Win takes no responsibility for any damage that may occur from installing or using TWRP.
Additional note: I am not responsible for bricked devices, but I will try to help you fix your phone if you turn it into a paperweight. This twrp is very much in the testing phase. We need to figure out what works, and what doesn't, then try to land this plane. Please help me with feedback so that I can help you!

WARNING: You must have the bootloader installed to both slots (if applicable) before making modifications. If not you will brick your device if it changes slots.

Instructions

1. You need fastboot and adb installed, or you can use the portable version (my preference) found here.

2. You need an unlocked bootloader as well. If you don't know how to do that, then follow the instructions found here on Motorola's website.

3. Reboot into fastboot by holding Vol ↓ + Power for approximately 30 seconds.

4. From the command prompt (cmd-here.exe) type in;
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

5. To install the image: Copy twrp to your phone and select > advanced > install recovery ramdisk > choose twrp.img > and swipe. Flash Magisk afterwards if you're on stock. If you're using a GSI and need root, then I suggest flashing my Modded Phh SU. Install the apk afterwards.

Download: twrp.img

Source Code:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_motorola_doha

Last edited:
Reactions: haruitk

Clothian

Aug 23, 2020
Awesome feedback. This is exactly what I need to know. Can you run the following command for me? You'll need to use adb or termux for this. I need the output.
Code:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen/*/vendor

No such file or directory I’m also looking around in there any luck getting a root on this thing? Mine errors when I try to side load the magisk I’m a little new to all this. Also I ran this in adb shell if that matters or not

Clothian

Aug 23, 2020
Try running this instead from adb...

Code:
adb root
ls /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen

so i tried to run this with just adb and got nothing but errors but if i run this in shell with cat it does say this is a directory!!!

also im sorry for slow respond my internet where i am is giving me issues

Clothian

Aug 23, 2020
ran the following in termux with su active after getting root access

the output is in parenthesis (output)

cat /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen/*/vendor (states nothing)
ls /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen (NVT-ts)

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceminer

Clothian

Aug 23, 2020
We're getting somewhere. Now try the following...

Code:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen/NVT-ts/vendor

i have to run this under su but it opens this

novatek_ts:/data/data/com.termux/files/home #

it seems to be waiting for an input. im fresh to alot of this so if you fancy explaining what your doing as you go id appreciate it tho i understand not wanting to as well i can just as easy google it :p

Reactions: Spaceminer

Spaceminer

Sep 9, 2016
Olympus Mons
Moto E (2020)
TWRP Tests

it seems to be waiting for an input. im fresh to alot of this so if you fancy explaining what your doing as you go id appreciate it tho i understand not wanting to as well i can just as easy google it :p

I'm finding info I need for your touchscreen. You want to give this a go for me? test2.img

Test it with the following command from fastboot, and tell me if the touchscreen works.

Code:
fastboot boot test2.img

Edit: If that doesn't work then try this one. test3.img
Code:
fastboot boot test3.img

You folks had touchscreen drivers and firmware binaries from the Moto G8 Plus in there. I have swapped them out for your native drivers and binaries.

Last edited:

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Hot damn! I haven't seen you since the G6 days. We can really kick this thing off with you hanging around. How have you been?

Are you running a GSI right now? Or is magisk just not giving a prompt?
Just running stock rooted. Air conditioning service tech, I work like 100 hours per week in summer. I'll try to stop in. Broke my g6 play screen and grabbed this phone.

PimpMy5Ton

Jul 23, 2015
Just running stock rooted. Air conditioning service tech, I work like 100 hours per week in summer. I'll try to stop in. Broke my g6 play screen and grabbed this phone.
Hey @madbat99 Long time brother, the last Moto I had was also the G6 Play from Boost Mobile, I've since been through the Coolpad Legacy and now the LG Stylo 6, I bought the Moto G8/G Fast because I missed playing around with root and roms, if yall need help with anything or for troubleshooting let me know, always willing to help the community for this device, I currently have Resurrection Remix rom installed on my Rav right now :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now deprecated. Go here instead. Mods can clean this out. https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g8/development/recovery-twrp-3-4-0-0-t4155045

First of all, I did not build this myself. I just pulled it apart and made some modifications to hopefully fix the touchscreen for you folks. I also do not own this device. This is a port from the Moto G8 Plus, and it's based off the awesome work done by @mauronofrio

Disclaimer provided by twrp.me, with an addition by myself;
    Team Win strives to provide a quality product. However, it is your decision to install our software on your device. Team Win takes no responsibility for any damage that may occur from installing or using TWRP.
    Additional note: I am not responsible for bricked devices, but I will try to help you fix your phone if you turn it into a paperweight. This twrp is very much in the testing phase. We need to figure out what works, and what doesn't, then try to land this plane. Please help me with feedback so that I can help you!

WARNING: You must have the bootloader installed to both slots (if applicable) before making modifications. If not you will brick your device if it changes slots.

Instructions

1. You need fastboot and adb installed, or you can use the portable version (my preference) found here.

2. You need an unlocked bootloader as well. If you don't know how to do that, then follow the instructions found here on Motorola's website.

3. Reboot into fastboot by holding Vol ↓ + Power for approximately 30 seconds.

4. From the command prompt (cmd-here.exe) type in;
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

5. To install the image: Copy twrp to your phone and select > advanced > install recovery ramdisk > choose twrp.img > and swipe. Flash Magisk afterwards if you're on stock. If you're using a GSI and need root, then I suggest flashing my Modded Phh SU. Install the apk afterwards.

Download: twrp.img

Source Code:
    https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
    https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_motorola_doha
    ran the following in termux with su active after getting root access

the output is in parenthesis (output)

cat /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen/*/vendor (states nothing)
    ls /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen (NVT-ts)
    We're getting somewhere. Now try the following...

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/virtual/touchscreen/NVT-ts/vendor