Unrecoverable bootloader error but not Bricked!

Search This thread

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
@berndblb I've done :laugh::laugh:
How? please don't kill me....I just plugged the tablet to another usb port :angel:
Changing usb port I had access to fastboot command and following post #12.
Sorry if I did not waste time....if you come in Italy you are invited to my house in Tuscany ;)
Tuscany? I see vineyards, sun, leisure - I'll take you up on that!! :cyclops:
Glad you got it going! That was my next idea: Finding out why fastboot won't work when adb does. Glad we solved it.

Sindee75

Dec 19, 2016
I have read on this forum and others fastboot doesn't work on many usb 3.0 ports. That's all I have. Did you by any chance switch to a Usb 2.0 port? Cindy

@berndblb and anyone else who can help. I brought the tf300t to a repair place called ubreakifix since I do not have 2.0 speed usb ports. They said they had the same results as me on the 2.0 usb ports. Adb devices show the device number and says recovery. Fastboot erase, etc says waiting on device. I guess I am completely bricked and should trash this? Hard to believe that there is no way to flash or boot an image from an external micro sd card, or boot twrp from an micro sd card? I found this on transformer forums would this help me? I dont understand it all but it says to flash from micro sdcard when stuck in a boot loop?? Thanks, cindy http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...e-firmware-tf101-tf201-tf300-tf700-tf701.html

Sindee75, is the system you're running fastboot on Windows 7 or Windows 10? I used a Win 7 laptop with USB 3.0 to bring my TF201 back from the brick. Even though my laptop didn't recognizes the TF, the TF still responded to commands from Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Have you tried hooking it up to the PC and sending it an ADB reboot command and seeing if it follows it?

NP

Sindee75

Dec 19, 2016
Sindee75, is the system you're running fastboot on Windows 7 or Windows 10? I used a Win 7 laptop with USB 3.0 to bring my TF201 back from the brick. Even though my laptop didn't recognizes the TF, the TF still responded to commands from Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Have you tried hooking it up to the PC and sending it an ADB reboot command and seeing if it follows it?

NP

Windows 10. Adb reboot commands do nothing, nor do the fastboot commands. Adb devices sees it in recovery status. Windows 10 does see it in device manager with no errors. Look thru Thru my previous request for help the past few months in this thread, it seems we have tried everything as far as adb and fastboot goes. Seems there must be a way to recover from a micro sd card via an image or something.. ugggg!

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
One thing I am not clear on: You do know that you can use fastboot only when the tablet is booted to the bootloader, right? That's the screen with the 3 icons. Can you get there?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sindee75

Dec 19, 2016
One thing I am not clear on: You do know that you can use fastboot only when the tablet is booted to the bootloader, right? That's the screen with the 3 icons. Can you get there?

No. I cannot get to the bootloader with the three icons, remember....I am caught in a boot loop. It reboots about 15 times from the 4 penguins with error that says Old firmware then straight to the page team win recovery project then reboots continuously this way until it finally settles on the team win recovery project screen. At that point I can issue adb devices and it shows device in recovery status. It does nothing with adb reboot commands or nothing with fastboot commands. But it did appear to push the bootit.ko because it showed the bytes. Any way to push in or side load the rom or even twrp? Or boot from a micro sd card into a rom or twrp or something?

No. I cannot get to the bootloader with the three icons, remember....I am caught in a boot loop. It reboots about 15 times from the 4 penguins with error that says Old firmware then straight to the page team win recovery project then reboots continuously this way until it finally settles on the team win recovery project screen. At that point I can issue adb devices and it shows device in recovery status. It does nothing with adb reboot commands or nothing with fastboot commands. But it did appear to push the bootit.ko because it showed the bytes. Any way to push in or side load the rom or even twrp? Or boot from a micro sd card into a rom or twrp or something?

Do you have access to a PC with Windows 7?

NP

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

2 more questions just to check, Bootloader is unlocked and what version bootloader are you on?

NP

Sindee75

Dec 19, 2016
Do you have access to a PC with Windows 7?

NP

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

2 more questions just to check, Bootloader is unlocked and what version bootloader are you on?

NP

No access to Windows 7. Why? Bootloader was unlocked but I don't know what version.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The BL version is not the problem. If she could flash anything she could flash BL, recovery or Asus firmware... But if you can't get anything to stick - tough....

Reactions: Sindee75

residentorca

Jan 24, 2011
Seattle
Moto G Play
The BL version is not the problem. If she could flash anything she could flash BL, recovery or Asus firmware... But if you can't get anything to stick - tough....

Looks like she got it working thanks to your help.

Nice Rom @timduru ! I put 7.1.2 version 23 on my tf300t. It feels like a brand new tablet! It is nice to be able to use Bluetooth speakers and BT headphones while playing youtube with no buffering! In jelly bean 4.2.1 the two together was unusable. So, thank you! All looks good. I just cant get it to pick up my wifi 5ghz, only 2ghz, so far, no buffering.. So I am happy!

monogwai

Jun 3, 2016
Well, i tried.
Berndblb graciously provided me with the 10.6.1.14.10 firmware (for a TF700), but the zip file was corrupted. I scoured the web and found nothing (save for broken links to asus' support portal), but i did find a 10.6.1.14.8 firmware on some webpage, and gave it a try. Didn't work. Got this in response: <see attachment>

Now I see several posts where folks mention having had to do the process multiple times; usually it's that they'd missed 'fastboot erase misc' in the instructions. I didn't miss any commands. Is there still the possibility I need to try the same process over? We all know what Einstein had to say regarding not changing one's process, yet expecting a different result...

Update: took a gamble and flashed twrp recovery (was originally having twrp bootloop) and it took! Got in, formatted all partitions, and flashed katkiss nougatella. Now the tab works again. Whew! Long 3 months.
Thanks to xda for all the archived posts here, and @berndblb, who personally took time to reply to my posts. Good lookin' out, folks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_141448.jpg
    IMG_20170818_141448.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

lalisek

Jan 29, 2019
Hi, i have this problém, can you please help me? I have erased everithing and i'm stucked od sending recovery.img or blob from officialy Asus site.
Why is this errors? Device is unlocked and in bootloader. Cable is new, Windows 10. I have try another command (recovery, staging,...) and results is same. Sorry for my english, i'm writing from Czech republic. Thank you and have a nice day

C:\Users\hruby>cd c:\tools\android\android-sdk\platform-tools

c:\tools\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot devices
015d15b5221bf615 fastboot

c:\tools\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash system blob
Sending 'system' (800933 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (Unknown error))

lalisek

Jan 29, 2019
@lalisek are you erasing the recovery partition before you try to re-flash the new TWRP? - NP

Hi, thx for reply. Yes, i erased everithing like here. https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44244313&postcount=12

But before this i try without erasing and this failure or something Unknown with SendBuffer was too.

Now i have try it again:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase system
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.640s]
finished. total time: 1.640s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.875s]
finished. total time: 1.890s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 21.822s]
finished. total time: 21.826s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase misc
erasing 'misc'...
OKAY [ 0.266s]
finished. total time: 0.266s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 2.593s]
finished. total time: 2.609s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot -0x0b05 flash system blob
fastboot: unknown option -- 0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash system blob
target didn't report max-download-size
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.717s]
sending 'system' (800933 KB)...
FAILED (data write failure (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 6.747s

Again thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, thx for reply. Yes, i erased everithing like here. https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44244313&postcount=12

But before this i try without erasing and this failure or something Unknown with SendBuffer was too.

Now i have try it again:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase system
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.640s]
finished. total time: 1.640s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.875s]
finished. total time: 1.890s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 21.822s]
finished. total time: 21.826s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase misc
erasing 'misc'...
OKAY [ 0.266s]
finished. total time: 0.266s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 2.593s]
finished. total time: 2.609s

STOP STOP STOP

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot -0x0b05 flash system blob
fastboot: unknown option -- 0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash system blob
target didn't report max-download-size
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.717s]
sending 'system' (800933 KB)...
FAILED (data write failure (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 6.747s

Again thank you.

Stop right here

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot -0x0b05 flash system blob
fastboot: unknown option -- 0"

You should be trying to flash a new RECOVERY, not system

fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery C:(LOCATION of you recovery blob here). - NP

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Stop right here

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot -0x0b05 flash system blob

fastboot: unknown option -- 0"

You should be trying to flash a new RECOVERY, not system

fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery C:(LOCATION of you recovery blob here). - NP
No, he's trying to do a buster99 by wiping all partitions and then flashing the Asus firmware blob. If you get an 'unrecoverable bootloader error' that's pretty much your only option. The commands are ok but something is off with his fastboot setup - no idea what though. Unfortunately fastboot error reports are so general, they are useless.
I would try it in Linux, that would at least exclude all the issues Windows has with fastboot/adb. Maybe set up an old PC with Linux Mint or try a dual boot alongside Windows. Or even better, ditch Windows for good and run Linux :victory:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My solution

I have the same on my TF300t and A700 - but it seems i just managed to get my TF300t back

i tried all fastboot (reflashing recovery, boot, system etc) no dice - especially since writing system was done after 3 secs all the time.

Here how i restored my TF300T JB

download your appropriate lates firmware from Asus (WW, US etc.) and extract the zip twice so you have your blob file

install your device drivers if needed (i used Google SDK ones) (and as a Tip Win8 sucks for Fastboot stuff so try to get Win7 Vista XP for this)

Reset your device with a paperclip/needle (about 2 cm down of your sdcard slot) and hold vol-down to enter fastboot

(the folowing i did at least 10 times already but didn't erase misc)

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase misc
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob (this is my path - your's may vary depending where you stored your blob) ((also this was the first time i saw the loading bar while flashing)*
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

* it also took a lot longer as it should:
    C:\>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob
    erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [ 1.695s]
    sending 'system' (800935 KB)...
    OKAY [133.121s]
    writing 'system'...
    OKAY [153.973s]
    finished. total time: 288.789s

im now setting my tab up to get back to CM (which initially caused this sh1theap due to autoupdate error, same as my A700 got bricked )

hope i could help you out!

cheers
    -Buster
    1st this is not for the dev section. You should ask questions in the Q&A section.

Go to Asus and dl the latest Stock. Unzipp it 2 times. You should have a blob file now in the extracted folder. put this blob in your fastboot folder.
    Open cmd and type:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash staging blob

let it run. It seems that nothing is happening for about 5 Minutes. The whole thing can take up to 20 Minutes, so just stay calm and wait till its finished.
    Now you should be back to full Stock with Stock recovery.
    Thanks you Ebonit and berndblb, I got as far as typing in "fastboot devices" and it says "waiting for device". I assume USB drivers. Found a link to them on this site but page not found came up. I could not find in asus website. Tried another link which hijacked my browser.. messed with this all day. Uggg. Anyone know a good link for the USB drivers if that is my problem? Thanks, Cindy

This can be an annoying problem and you may have to try several driver packages, uninstall them if they don't work and try other ones. The drivers from the Asus PC Suite were for Windows XP. They may and may not work anymore - depends on your Windows version.
    As you found out, you want to stay away from all these driver downloads sites - they are usually infested with malware.
    You could try the Universal Naked Drivers from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/go...nt/adb-fb-apx-driver-universal-naked-t2513339
    I believe those are the ones I used when I moved to Win 8 and then Win 10. If you have the 64 bit version of Win 8 or 10 you have to disable Windows driver verification feature to install them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YAIw7_-kg

I think I can't get into recovery from inadvertently hitting wipe data when I had those 3 icons. Now it loops from twrp splash page to 4 peguins says Old FW. Continuous reboot of this. Can't get into anything else holding power and volume down. Can't even power it off.. I think I'm bricked. See my attempts to fix this further down.. thank you!

Oh my... You do need to get adb working, I know only of one way to get out of that loop and it involves a couple of steps in adb. Check out this guide: http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...my-transformer-tf700-boots-only-recovery.html
    Somebody recently used this method to get out of the loop and he had only a few seconds connection in adb to perform the steps described. He created a script to run the two commands in that tiny window. Let me try to find the posts, maybe I can hook you up with him.

Edit: Here it is, last post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tr...f700t-bootloop-twrp-install-official-t3584529
    Try to PM @[email protected], maybe he can send you the script he created
    No one's figured this out? I tried flashing the blob file and my system won't boot at all
    I have the same on my TF300t and A700 - but it seems i just managed to get my TF300t back

i tried all fastboot (reflashing recovery, boot, system etc) no dice - especially since writing system was done after 3 secs all the time.

Here how i restored my TF300T JB

download your appropriate lates firmware from Asus (WW, US etc.) and extract the zip twice so you have your blob file

install your device drivers if needed (i used Google SDK ones) (and as a Tip Win8 sucks for Fastboot stuff so try to get Win7 Vista XP for this)

Reset your device with a paperclip/needle (about 2 cm down of your sdcard slot) and hold vol-down to enter fastboot

(the folowing i did at least 10 times already but didn't erase misc)

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase misc
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob (this is my path - your's may vary depending where you stored your blob) ((also this was the first time i saw the loading bar while flashing)*
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

* it also took a lot longer as it should:
    C:\>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob
    erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [ 1.695s]
    sending 'system' (800935 KB)...
    OKAY [133.121s]
    writing 'system'...
    OKAY [153.973s]
    finished. total time: 288.789s

im now setting my tab up to get back to CM (which initially caused this sh1theap due to autoupdate error, same as my A700 got bricked )

hope i could help you out!

cheers
    -Buster

Did your tablet seem to freeze after flashing via fastboot? When I push blob, the console shows that it wrote, but then fastboot on the tablet freezes & I have to manually reboot, putting me right back to the drawing board.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app