Search This thread

theillustratedlife

Jun 15, 2009
ozzeh is teasing for an exploit that removes security on the shipping SPL, allowing you to flash unsigned images. It is expected to release tomorrow.

As Matt clarified in this thread, it will require a rooted phone. Though they expect users to be able to take OTAs without locking themselves out of the phone after applying unrEVOked forever, the exploit cannot yet be applied to the 2.2 OTA.

Last edited:

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
It's technically morning so I would assume tonight as in the night of the 10th

kiiinda what i figured... maybe their out of Cali and its 2am (still kind of tonight lol) on a side note. i have never rooted but have paid attention to the progress of rooting the Evo since i got mine (Google I/O Evo). I have updated to the OTA 2.2... is this gunna work for me?

063_XOBX

Jun 6, 2010
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
kiiinda what i figured... maybe their out of Cali and its 2am (still kind of tonight lol) on a side note. i have never rooted but have paid attention to the progress of rooting the Evo since i got mine (Google I/O Evo). I have updated to the OTA 2.2... is this gunna work for me?
2.2 is the latest OTA so why bother making a new unrevoked if not for that ;)

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
ozzeh is teasing for an exploit that removes security on the shipping SPL, allowing you to flash unsigned images. It is expected to release tomorrow.
good questions.
looks like its not an eng spl, so no fastboot.

it does turn security off, so no signature check on PC36IMG.zip files for us meaning we could create our own PC36IMG.zip files to flash any partition we've seen previous PC36IMG.zip files flash, which is quite a few more than flash_image gives us access to but NOT as many as fastboot allows.

fastboot > PC36IMG.zip > flash_image - in order of access to partitions on the phone

it is definitely a step in the right direction!

Dougie2187

Jun 10, 2010
good questions.
looks like its not an eng spl, so no fastboot.

it does turn security off, so no signature check on PC36IMG.zip files for us meaning we could create our own PC36IMG.zip files to flash any partition we've seen previous PC36IMG.zip files flash, which is quite a few more than flash_image gives us access to but NOT as many as fastboot allows.

fastboot > PC36IMG.zip > flash_image - in order of access to partitions on the phone

it is definitely a step in the right direction!

But if you can turn off security, and flash any PC36IMG.zip, you can theoretically just use this spl to flash the PC36IMG.zip from Toasts original root method. Then work from there to get to a fully rooted 2.1 with fastboot then.

Then flash a 2.2, and you could be back where you were with full root.

Or am I missing something?

agonzalez1010

May 12, 2010
Chicago, IL
But if you can turn off security, and flash any PC36IMG.zip, you can theoretically just use this spl to flash the PC36IMG.zip from Toasts original root method. Then work from there to get to a fully rooted 2.1 with fastboot then.

I think this would be the way to go to get out of the hboot .93 block. Good suggestion...:D

-shift-

Jun 29, 2010

sounds about right lol. it's a good way to get full root though for those who did the 2.2 ota update.