Unrevoked team: Incredible Root process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tdavis42

Jul 29, 2009
Orange County, CA
So painful to have the line I've been dying to see come up only once (during halftime on lakers game 6) only to never see it again. I trusted a script to what I should have done manually :'(

... still trying to see the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2)" ... just ... one ... more ... time ;)

Was that you that I smelled on fire the other day. I figured it was someone that had that line flash before them only to go away. Someone got burned!

sylent101

Jan 26, 2010
If it says it exists, then the /system/xbin/su already exists. You can't write to an existing symbolic link. You have to remove it first.

Code:
rm /system/xbin/su
ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

hey i dont wanna bother you or anything but im having trouble with this command too.. when i type it in it says permission denied any tips?

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
While in RECOVERY MODE....

Code:
/system/bin/rm /system/xbin/su

Then try...

Code:
/system/bin/ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

mims1979

Dec 31, 2009
So not to brag, but ideally help, I was in the same boats as a lot of you where NOTHING worked.

So tonight I bit the bullet, ran over to walmart and purchased the $11 2g pny card came home and suprise, it didn't work. Then just like on my other 1g, 2g, 16g cards I tried another USB port and it worked perfectly with the new card. The exact method that worked was the last method mentioned in the 10 minute root video where you hold down vol-down and power over and over. I was able to get back into adb recovery twice after only 2-3 reboots each time. Superuser.apk works, removed peeps, cityid, rss feed, etc. Installed SetCPU and autostarts, all appears to be running stable and without any problems. Oddly enough, and maybe someone else knows why, I used root explorer to delete cityid, etc on the first try, after reboot all of it appeared back again. Only way to perm remove it was from adb recovery.

Hardware wise:
hboot 0.77.0000
march 23 2010, 19:36:22
Windows 7, HTC Sync installed.

vzw

Jun 7, 2010
Maricopa
Still no Shell access Still no New method

Wow still no easy method.... I guess when the majority of the people can do it *SIGH*.

Not sure now if I should just get the Android X that will be out next week I love my Dinc but man I need root and EVERYTHING EVERY METHOD is a big fat FAIL.

I just can't take it anymore

CaptainTaco

Jun 10, 2010
Wow still no easy method.... I guess when the majority of the people can do it *SIGH*.

Not sure now if I should just get the Android X that will be out next week I love my Dinc but man I need root and EVERYTHING EVERY METHOD is a big fat FAIL.

I just can't take it anymore

Well, perhaps I will be wrong, and the Motorola Droid Xtreme will be significantly easier to root; but judging by how close the NAND protect removal process is (supposedly) you'll probably see an easier full root on the Droid incredible long before the Droid Xtreme. But anyone's guess is as good as mine.

vzw

Jun 7, 2010
Maricopa
Ok will someone take a look at this for me... is there anything that would be root access in this?

C:\sdk\tools>adb push C:\sdk\tools\android.tether /sdcard/android.tether
push: C:\sdk\tools\android.tether/wireless_tether_2_0_2-pre14.apk -> /sdcard/and
roid.tether/wireless_tether_2_0_2-pre14.apk
push: C:\sdk\tools\android.tether/fw_bcm4329.bin -> /sdcard/android.tether/fw_bc
m4329.bin
2 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
1839 KB/s (559597 bytes in 0.297s)

C:\sdk\tools>adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
cannot stat 'busybox': No such file or directory

C:\sdk\tools>adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip
1751 KB/s (2465762 bytes in 1.375s)

C:\sdk\tools>adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
cannot stat 'Superuser.apk': No such file or directory

C:\sdk\tools>adb push su /sdcard/su
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory

I know that some of it like the SuperUser and busybox is a no but the other stuff does it show it actually pushed?

jmdearras

Aug 20, 2008
RIchmond, Virginia
Ok will someone take a look at this for me... is there anything that would be root access in this?

C:\sdk\tools>adb push C:\sdk\tools\android.tether /sdcard/android.tether
push: C:\sdk\tools\android.tether/wireless_tether_2_0_2-pre14.apk -> /sdcard/and
roid.tether/wireless_tether_2_0_2-pre14.apk
push: C:\sdk\tools\android.tether/fw_bcm4329.bin -> /sdcard/android.tether/fw_bc
m4329.bin
2 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
1839 KB/s (559597 bytes in 0.297s)

C:\sdk\tools>adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
cannot stat 'busybox': No such file or directory

C:\sdk\tools>adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip
1751 KB/s (2465762 bytes in 1.375s)

C:\sdk\tools>adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
cannot stat 'Superuser.apk': No such file or directory

C:\sdk\tools>adb push su /sdcard/su
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory

I know that some of it like the SuperUser and busybox is a no but the other stuff does it show it actually pushed?

looks like you did not copy some of those files into the tools diir on your pc. the ones with a count and no error moved OK.

Jim

Last edited:

greno1

Jun 18, 2010
Wagontown
jigawattlabs.com
Almost there

After a few tries with an old 1GB card, I was able to follow the Unrevoked instructions on their site, including the post instructions to install fw_bcm4329.bin on the sdcard to enable tethering

I only followed these instructions, since I saw a post earlier that said these were the most up to date ones to follow, rather than the ones in this thread.

After getting through those, I downloaded and ran "Wireless Tether for Root Users" by Muller, Lemons, Buxton. When I run it, I just get a message that says "Unable to start tethering". I don't get a prompt for SU privilege.

So, I'm not sure where that leaves me. Does the tethering app need the su and SuperUser.APK files pushed to /system/app/ ? Unrevoked instructions don't include that.

I'm trying to go through the entire process again with the other instructions here to push those files, but haven't been able to get the file not found message. Still trying though!

Thanks,
-Gregg

motempo

Mar 21, 2010
Maumelle, AR
root achieved

I tried getting adb working in recovery with my 16gb card that came with my Droid, couldn't get it. Went and got PNY 2gig card, didn't work. Kept screwing around with it one day and got adb with my 16gig card, but didn't have the instructions handy. So kept trying to connect again but couldn't. this was on my notebook pc running windows 7. Few days later tried it on my girl's netbook with Windows xp and 2 gig card and worked first time. Forgot to change permissions for superuser.apk so didn't have root access. Kept trying again. Tried everything. Finally tried swapping out 2gig SD card out with 16gig one while loading into recovery and got adb working with my girl's netbook. Got it right this time and now I'm rooted and good to go. I'm still want to root my girl's incredible. I want to see if there's any consistency to swapping SD cards to get adb working. Everything seems so random right now. Whoever is still trying to get adb running in recovery, keep trying. Don't give up.

Matt Devo

Jun 17, 2010
Round Rock, TX
After getting through those, I downloaded and ran "Wireless Tether for Root Users" by Muller, Lemons, Buxton. When I run it, I just get a message that says "Unable to start tethering". I don't get a prompt for SU privilege.

Does the tethering app need the su and SuperUser.APK files pushed to /system/app/ ?

yes - without the SuperUser.apk, you have no way to elevate to root (aka su). You need to get back into adb in recovery and push the superuser.apk as per the instructions

elborak

Jun 8, 2010
Does the tethering app need the su and SuperUser.APK files pushed to /system/app/ ? Unrevoked instructions don't include that.
Well, su doesn't go in /system/app, but Superuser.apk needs to be there. However if you are using the current payload-update.zip it handles all of that for you.

Did you perhaps download payload-update.zip a couple of days ago and not update it? As it says on the page: "You must use these files specifically. They change from time to time; when you follow these instructions, make sure that you downloaded all the files at the same time."

Taylor08

Jun 18, 2010
Guys, I've tried everything different cards, methods, phones, and different Computers with the modified drivers and HTC sync. Anyone give me any ideas? When I do adb shell in command prompt it just VI es me error device not found. .of the daemon restarting or whatever. I've been trying for days, any help would be appreciated.

greno1

Jun 18, 2010
Wagontown
jigawattlabs.com
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying to restart the process.

I did get all three files at the same time from the unrevoked site. Maybe they should add the SuperUser.apk insructions.

madman34

Sep 4, 2006
Anyone in Columbus, Ohio that can not get it ??

I am here in the columbus area and have rooted mine and a friend at work. I would like to try as many as I can who says that they have tried everything and can not get it, with the end purpose of proving or disproving that there are some units that just will not work. It would also be my great pleasure to help get these working if I can. Anyone can PM me if you want to give it a whirl ;-)

Cameron_S

Jun 14, 2010
They have superuser and its associated files packed into the payload already so no need to transfer them over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The new unrevoked.com reflash tool is out, one click root and recovery. no sd method's required. Mod's please close this thread ending with this post if you can...