Unstable WiFi on LG V30

Search This thread

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
OK. So, I am still in the process of finalizing everything, but I think it is safe to say that for the L-01K models, the US998 is the safe way to go.
Make a backup of your modem partition, then do the Frankenstein to US998 then once you are done, you can restore you original modem partition and everything should work fine!!
I'll be interested to hear if this works. Cross-flashing between regions often loses connectivity.

If your L-01K has an OP partition, I would back that up as well. US998 doesn't have OP partition, it's mostly in case you have to go back, since I understand it's not part of the ROM.

Do you have a KDZ for the L-01K model? If not, you know it's a one-way trip o_O

haevaristo

Nov 26, 2020
Yeah... I have lost my original KDZ backup, so for me this is a one way road ;) ... Not that I ever wanted to go back to that DOCOMO stuff, I'm more concerned about the basics working... cell, wifi, DAC ...

haevaristo

Nov 26, 2020
OK, so more experience from the trenches .. at least for me, I tried all methods to get to Android 9 and, only the last method #4 from this post here worked.

It was not smooth, the behavior was not entirely similar as described in the method, i had difficulties geeting the LGUP to not recognize my device as H933, since otherwise he wouldnt allow me to continue to flash us998 again .. LGUP had to be restarted since it was not detecting the device after reboot, I answered yes to the warning about partitions being changed, etc.., but I think after a few tries I managed to keep in the spirit of the guide and I ended booting up us99830b successfully ...

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
OK, so more experience from the trenches .. at least for me, I tried all methods to get to Android 9 and, only the last method #4 from this post here worked.

It was not smooth, the behavior was not entirely similar as described in the method, i had difficulties geeting the LGUP to not recognize my device as H933, since otherwise he wouldnt allow me to continue to flash us998 again .. LGUP had to be restarted since it was not detecting the device after reboot, I answered yes to the warning about partitions being changed, etc.., but I think after a few tries I managed to keep in the spirit of the guide and I ended booting up us99830b successfully ...

Good job getting it working. Do you have service: Voice, LTE, SMS, MMS, VoLTE?

I assume you flashed via Nougat, and you performed Master Reset, right? Those are often what people miss.

Once again good job (y)

haevaristo

Nov 26, 2020

I assume you flashed via Nougat, and you performed Master Reset, right? Those are often what people miss.

Once again good job (y)
Ahh .. sorry, someone told me VoLTE do not work on AOSPs but in the meantime I have already installed Havoc 3.11 so i cannot test it, ... I have however a working Voice, SMS and MME system. WiFi has also been pretty stable so far, so overall I am happy.

To try and detail what I did:

After trying the other 3 methods my starting point was a non-working H933.
So I think I first used LGUP, in partition dl function, to reinstall a working US998, i believe i used us99810d_01_0411.kdz. He won't allow you to do anything other than partition dl from H933 to US998 due to being different models. A warning message will ask you if you wish to proceed since the partitions layout is different, I said yes everytime message showed.

After that I followed the steps in the guide, trying to do all the Master resets in between.
1) used H93310h_00_OPEN_CA_OP_1124.kdz, here the trick is to not allow the phone to restart and to not restart LGUP so that LGUP still detects the phone as a US998 and not H933. However, after flashing LGUP went into the reboot phase, while he waits 40 seconds for the phone to reboot... after this phase, LGUP wasnt able to detect the phone anymore. I had to close it and restart LGUP, luckily after the restart he detected the phone as US998 so I could continue... The guide wasn't really clear if we must do a hard reset with the 'Erasing' screen, or if the goal is simply to go into download mode. I believe I forced the phone into restart with the Hard Reset Keys but when he restarts i forced him straight into download mode by keeping the volume up button .. so I believe I skipped the 'Erasing' screen.
2) used US99820h_00_0318.kdz, in guide he says to wait until the "Erasing" screen .. I wasn't confident he would do that automatically, so I forced the master reset myself and then after the erasing menu i went it download mode as in guide.
3) used US99830b_00_0902.kdz as in guide
4) used US99830b_00_0902.kdz, i decided to to this, just in case, as optionally suggested by guide.

At the end of everything I restored the modem partition from a backup image I had.
E.g.:
Code:
dd if=/external_sd/backup/modem.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem
And that did the trick.

ali.lantern

Mar 7, 2018
Hi,
so I am having issues with the Wifi on my, recently acquired, LG V30.
I have got a strange model, L-01K, from Japanese provider DOCOMO.
I have unrooted / flashed .. currently running Havoc 3.11 on Android 10.

The wifi often loses connection/signal and in order to restore requires a complete device reboot.

Looking for some help.

Regards,
H.
How did you unlock the bootloader and installed twrp please help!!

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
How did you unlock the bootloader and installed twrp please help!!

He used the WTF Guide.

But since he has a very unusual V30 model, in one of the final steps he had to restore modem from a backup he thoughtfully made beforehand. There are no public KDZ available for his model. To unlock bootlaoder, he had to CONVERT his phone to another model. Most times this is TEMPOARY, and you can then convert back after bootloader unlock, TWRP and root... But in his case, he had to re-flash his original modem to the firmware he had installed.

He also went to Havoc LOS-based ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDannemand

ali.lantern

Mar 7, 2018
He used the WTF Guide.

But since he has a very different V30 model, in one of the final steps he had to restore modem from a backup he thoughtfully made beforehand. There are no public KDZ available for his model. To unlock bootlaoder, he had to CONVERT his phone to another model. Most times this is TEMPOARY, and you can then convert back after bootloader unlock, TWRP and root... But in his case, he had to re-flash his original modem to the firmware he had installed.

He also went to Havoc LOS-based ROM.
I have the same model! What are the extra steps?Where to find them please help.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Do I have to use FRANKENSTEIN method?

First you need to make a backup like he did. Or else you'll be begging him to post his modem file.

Second I told you that you need to use the WTF Instructions. In those instructions, it says some models you do have to use the Frankenstein to convert to model which has fastboot flash commands. Yes, your very unusual model is one of those...

But I'm not going to keep answering questions already answered in the WTF Instructions. ;)

But don't do anything until you make a backup so you can get your modem back when it's all over.

ali.lantern

Mar 7, 2018
First you need to make a backup like he did. Or else you'll be begging him to post his modem file.

Second I told you that you need to use the WTF Instructions. In those instructions, it says some models you do have to use the Frankenstein to convert to model which has fastboot flash commands. Yes, your very unusual model is one of those...

But I'm not going to keep answering questions already answered in the WTF Instructions. ;)

But don't do anything until you make a backup so you can get your modem back when it's all over.
Thank you sir. I'll leave a message if something happens.

ali.lantern

Mar 7, 2018

I did unlock bootloader and now I am on us version oreo with root.
I did make a backuu and how do I restore signal please help!!

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Once again good job (y)
    Ahh .. sorry, someone told me VoLTE do not work on AOSPs but in the meantime I have already installed Havoc 3.11 so i cannot test it, ... I have however a working Voice, SMS and MME system. WiFi has also been pretty stable so far, so overall I am happy.

To try and detail what I did:

After trying the other 3 methods my starting point was a non-working H933.
    So I think I first used LGUP, in partition dl function, to reinstall a working US998, i believe i used us99810d_01_0411.kdz. He won't allow you to do anything other than partition dl from H933 to US998 due to being different models. A warning message will ask you if you wish to proceed since the partitions layout is different, I said yes everytime message showed.

After that I followed the steps in the guide, trying to do all the Master resets in between.
    1) used H93310h_00_OPEN_CA_OP_1124.kdz, here the trick is to not allow the phone to restart and to not restart LGUP so that LGUP still detects the phone as a US998 and not H933. However, after flashing LGUP went into the reboot phase, while he waits 40 seconds for the phone to reboot... after this phase, LGUP wasnt able to detect the phone anymore. I had to close it and restart LGUP, luckily after the restart he detected the phone as US998 so I could continue... The guide wasn't really clear if we must do a hard reset with the 'Erasing' screen, or if the goal is simply to go into download mode. I believe I forced the phone into restart with the Hard Reset Keys but when he restarts i forced him straight into download mode by keeping the volume up button .. so I believe I skipped the 'Erasing' screen.
    2) used US99820h_00_0318.kdz, in guide he says to wait until the "Erasing" screen .. I wasn't confident he would do that automatically, so I forced the master reset myself and then after the erasing menu i went it download mode as in guide.
    3) used US99830b_00_0902.kdz as in guide
    4) used US99830b_00_0902.kdz, i decided to to this, just in case, as optionally suggested by guide.

At the end of everything I restored the modem partition from a backup image I had.
    E.g.:
    Code:
    dd if=/external_sd/backup/modem.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem
    And that did the trick.
    You really need to be far more clear in what you are doing or did. Don't blame the other users for your mistakes, nor should you complain to them when they're trying to help you with limited info. If you want help, you need to give a LOT more info. And you did, indeed, flash multiple different custom ROMs, which is a recipe for trouble.

Your terminology is also confusing, as you keep saying "unroot" and then install TWRP. You need to unlock the bootloader to install TWRP, maybe that's what you mean. Unrooting is a very different operation. You need to be precise in what you are asking for help with, otherwise you'll get bad info from anyone. Know the terms and use them properly, otherwise we can't help you... bad info will always lead to trouble.

Bottom line, as far as I know, there's only one way to do this right on the V30, which we can only assume you have. If you want to proceed, then you need to focus on one process and not try to mix with every other person's idea of what's right. Chazz has been great on this, and has provided detailed info... follow that.

Again, I won't tell you to do this because I don't want you to blame me if you brick the phone. So, if you want to proceed, you do so at your own risk. That said, I would start by getting to US998 stock ROM via KDZ. Follow the Frankenstein thread hereon XDA to see how to get there first. Once there, check to see that the phone operates properly - it should. If it doesn't then stop jumping around and fix that first.

Once all is good on that stock ROM, follow the WTF thread to install TWRP again (KDZ will remove it), with the version mentioned there (there may be newer versions, but you need to stick to what's detailed there to prevent problems, as those are the ones that are tested and known to work). Once you get that done, again, make sure the phone is working properly... then you can consider going to a custom ROM.

If you decide to move ahead, then you need to read the requirements of the custom ROM carefully. Most PIE ROMs, for example, require the PIE blobs, so you need to get to a stock PIE ROM as prescribed before going to a custom ROM. I don't know what the specifics are for 10-ROMs, so you'll have to see what's possible and how it's done based on that ROM's thread.
    Not that he/she/they needs my defense, but ldeveraux is a senior member (more-so than me) and has tons of knowledge on this device, in my experience. That's all I want to say about that.

So it sounds like the problem was jumping to A10 from A9. Also, using instructions from one ROM to end up jumping to another. Each ROM has its needs/requirements, so you can't really do that. Also, at least on this phone, going between Android levels is somewhat tricky, so you can't just jump around from what I've read.

Yes, there can be some jargon and such. Chazz's thread (post 193) explains most, if not all, of that, but if you're missing something I strongly recommend reading MUCH more, rather than just moving forward. It is a very long thread, but it's very important you read through ALL of it, and understand it before moving forward. Then read it again. Don't read it on a phone/device - use a computer because browsers and apps have a bad habit of truncating the message. These are Chazz's recommendations as well, for good reason (and also at the top of this thread). I did a TON of reading before I did my phone unlocking/rooting, and with that thread alone, so I have read it MANY times myself (well, at least the older revision when I did my hacking) and I didn't have to ask questions... so I know the answers can be found.

US998 is the best "foundation" to start with for various reasons. Fact is, US998 should work on pretty much any carrier to start with, so it's a great foundation for that reason too. That's why I suggest starting there to be sure you have a good, working basis.

I have read that if you go to A9 or A10, going to another version may require going all the way back to Nougat first. You may need to do that now, if you want to get back to a stable US998 to begin with. The Pie/10 threads probably have info on this... I haven't read them up myself as I don't want to bother. I have stuck with Oreo because it does everything you need anyway... I see no advantage to Pie or 10. I believe Chazz has also stayed on Oreo for this reason.

Hi,
    so I am having issues with the Wifi on my, recently acquired, LG V30.
    I have got a strange model, L-01K, from Japanese provider DOCOMO.
    I have unrooted / flashed .. currently running Havoc 3.11 on Android 10.

The wifi often loses connection/signal and in order to restore requires a complete device reboot.

Looking for some help.

Regards,
    H.