[UPD][9 Dec 2008] smsSender 0.3 - write sms with your pc ( faster..better.. )

avellant

Sep 12, 2007
IMPORTANT! A web admin(s) needed for Touch-Innovation: look this thread

It's a little pc program. Write with pc and send with your phone via activesync. It doesn't require any runtimes on the phone.
I wrote this little tool, because i felt alternate similar products too heavy for my use.

Changelog:
[0.3]
+faster startup, uses different thread to find contacts
+nice icon :)
+minimizes on the system tray! double click to activate again.
+possible send directly without pocket outlook ( Notice that, when using that feature messages aren't preserved, it also request automatically delivery report from the operator, so keep those things in mind! )

Requirements:
-ActiveSync
-windows mobile phone
-CF 2.0 or above
-Outlook 2003 or above ( it takes contact informations from it )

I'm doing this on my free time so:
If like it, you can always buy me a cup of coffee to keep me motivated :)

Attachments

Last edited:
N

nothin

one of the greatest things i've seen on xdadev lately!

...just one thing:
if you can add simple "add contact" feature, and something like "write list to txt", - you are my Hero.
this is very, very good app, man.

Last edited:

sagiv_be

Feb 26, 2008
link doesnt work..

tnx 4 this,i look 4 something like that 4 long time,since "jeyo mobile extender" doesnt work with outlook 2007,but link broken..

kimusan

Dec 5, 2006
Very nice. A few comments:
It does not actually send the message on my Diamond. The message window is opened, the message added but the
It would be nice if it minimizes to the systray instead of having to start it every time I want to send a message.
If you could get it to show new messages as well, then it would be absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

jpgrobler

Apr 12, 2007
Hi

Thanks looks nice, on my hw6915 the sms message box is opened with nuber and message in, but it is not sent, nor is question asked?

Will you share the source, any idea how sms'ing on wm device can be done in delphi?

:)

avellant

Sep 12, 2007
Thanks all for comments!

great idea! i have not yet installed, (which i will be doing first thing in the morning) (working on resetting so stuff after a new flash :) ) but if there are no run times present, do you have to manually add contacts on your computer, or have you allowed for them to be imported.
It reads contacts from outlook ( 2003 and above ), so just syncinc via active sync will import contacts:)
one of the greatest things i've seen on xdadev lately!

...just one thing:
if you can add simple "add contact" feature, and something like "write list to txt", - you are my Hero.
this is very, very good app, man.
"add contact" can be done..
what do you mean by with writing list to txt, exportin contact or messager to txt?

avellant

Sep 12, 2007
Very nice. A few comments:
It does not actually send the message on my Diamond. The message window is opened, the message added but the
It would be nice if it minimizes to the systray instead of having to start it every time I want to send a message.
If you could get it to show new messages as well, then it would be absolutely perfect.
yes, it doesn't actually send those messages just open then on the phone, and then you have to confirm the send by pressing send softkey. I coded this program in four hours so all functions are made as easily as possible :) the sending function is made by running tmail.exe with parameters through opennetcf rapi, and i didn't find any way to send it with directly on calling tmail.exe? i tried also "-sync" parameter, but it didn't seem to have any effect. If somebody has some knowledge about this, please inform me:)
The systray minimizing and showing new messages would be cool, but i think that reading messages from phone would need somekind of runtime process running in the phone, because active sync doesn't syns sms's.

Hi

Thanks looks nice, on my hw6915 the sms message box is opened with nuber and message in, but it is not sent, nor is question asked?

Will you share the source, any idea how sms'ing on wm device can be done in delphi?

:)
Read previous post.
About sharing the source, i could consider that :) i think i'm going to keep all the keys in my hand for little time though, but maybe later, i could publish source. the source is written in C#.

im using vista home and it works fine, although it takes a while before it shows the gui
It takes some time to load contact especially if you many contacts in your address book. I'm finding a faster way to fetch them for next version.

avellant

Sep 12, 2007
new version 0.3

+faster startup, uses different thread to find contacts
+nice icon
+minimizes on the system tray! double click to activate again.
+possible send directly without pocket outlook ( Notice that, when using that feature messages aren't doesn't preserve, it also request automatically delivery report from the operator, so keep those things in mind! )

Last edited:

Fronf

Dec 12, 2008
Great

Works great with XP and WM6.1, even with Outlook 2002 (which makes all other SMS-Plugins I've found so far incompatible). It's fast, leal and--just nice. The only drawback: It can't handle German Umlauts and apparently some other characters out of my charset. WHen my message e.g. contains an ä, ö or ü, it will be send as an MMS instead. WHen avoiding such characters, all works fine. If you get that fixed and your app would be able to handle my German charset correctly, I'd strongly consider buying you a coffee (you'd just have to say of normal or grand, vanilla-flavoured or wth chocolate chips). :cool:

avellant

Sep 12, 2007
Works great with XP and WM6.1, even with Outlook 2002 (which makes all other SMS-Plugins I've found so far incompatible). It's fast, leal and--just nice. The only drawback: It can't handle German Umlauts and apparently some other characters out of my charset. WHen my message e.g. contains an ä, ö or ü, it will be send as an MMS instead. WHen avoiding such characters, all works fine. If you get that fixed and your app would be able to handle my German charset correctly, I'd strongly consider buying you a coffee (you'd just have to say of normal or grand, vanilla-flavoured or wth chocolate chips). :cool:
Great that you like it! Thanks :D
Nice to know it works with 2002 also.
Strange that umlauts aren't working for you, i use those all the time ( i'm finnish ) and they work for me. Does this problem occur on with direct sending and via pocketoutlook sending also?

I'll take coffee as it is offered :) i'm not so picky about that :D

Fronf

Dec 12, 2008
Hi!

Alright, I tried around a bit, that's what I found out:

- The ,,Require Confirmation''-option makes no difference, in both cases the message comes up on my mobile and waits for confirmation to be send (which is no problem, this way I can have a second look of number and text are correct).

- As soon as I use ä,ö,ü,Ä,Ö,Ü or ß, my mobile treats the message as MMS (showing me a 70 character limit, compared to 160 characters for an SMS). A carriage return is no problem, yet it does not force a new line, but it shows up as little box (unknown character?). That I would consider a serious limitation, as MMS are merkedly more expensive, and not every recepient has MMS activated on his or her cell phone.

- long texts (I used a lorem ipsum generator) work fine, as long as no umlauts are contained.

I run XP SP3 in German, my mobile is Samsung Omnia WM6.1 in German, too.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

BTW, which part of Finland are you from? (Just curious, my girlfirend has been to Finland once for half a year, in Tampere, and loved the city and the people. So this country is on our places-to-have-seen-before-we-die-list. ;-)).

Cheers!
Marius

avellant

Sep 12, 2007
Hi and sorry about delay.
"Require Confirmation'' function is only functional when
using "direct send" function ( turn off "Only open new sms on the phone" ).
And i didn't found any way to get problems you describe, i tried testing on different coding ( utf-8, ansi etc. )... very strange. I'm using winXp mui version ( in english ) and my rom is also 6.1 wwe. I would really like get some info what's causing this problem. I don't know if this has anything to do with this but which MMS software your phone uses? Mine rom uses ArcSoft MMS Composer.

Btw. I live in Tampere :D maybe your girlfriend can buy me some coffee instead :) lol... just kidding :D