[UPD] New GCam 8.2 MOD With AUX Support!

Search This thread

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Original Post UPDATED with LATEST BSG GCam for our OnePlus 8 Pro.

Still 8.1 version, but fixes a few things and brings more natural colours. XML improves noise reduction on all 3 back lenses while retaining a lot of details.

BSG will release another update, in the future, which will allow full control over the Front lens (which is currently not available on his release). This should allow to soften the skin tones and make it more pleasant, for example...

Stay Tuned! :)

Attachments

• NiCkAM8PRO.zip
      2.9 KB · Views: 52
    Last edited:
    Reactions: alone_in_dark

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Do you have any actual changes on this xml one or is it just the new version?
    Hi bud,

Well, here is the latest app 'update log':
    - fixed work of ColorTransform
    - changed the parameter "quality of extended HDR +" (added new correction algorithms, division into photo modes).
    - fixed the work of additional lenses on some devices.
    - Fixed minor bugs in the modification.

Concerning the XML settings file, there would be too many (small) changes to list them all. But all I can say is the latest XML, included in this post, provides some better colour reproduction, with a bit less saturation than before (the ColourTransform options have been changed), and more pleasant Reds, Greens & Blues. Some Developer parameters have been modified too, as well as some minor modifications in the RamPatcher area for all 3 main back lenses, and the JPG quality setting has been reverted back to 'Default' (95%), as I could not really see any visible improvement (even at a pixel level) when checking files saved at a higher setting.

I'd recommend to always stick with the latest XML, but I would also recommend to experiment with your own settings as well... :)

Attachments

• NiCkAM8PRO V2.3.zip
      6.2 KB · Views: 43

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Daylight Shot Comparison - Stock Cam / GCam (with custom XML)

Wide-Angle:

Main Lens:

Tele Lens:
    (GCam offers a 2.2x zoom instead of 3x for the stock app, hence the image ratio difference)

I'll try to post some more comparisons later, especially in dark conditions, as it is where GCam performs better than stock app, especially at recovering details and lighting up shadowy areas.

• Love
    Reactions: Lycidias

rodken

• Jan 11, 2010
    Google Pixel XL
    OnePlus 8
    Original Post UPDATED with LATEST BSG GCam for our OnePlus 8 Pro.

Still 8.1 version, but fixes a few things and brings more natural colours. XML improves noise reduction on all 3 back lenses while retaining a lot of details.

BSG will release another update, in the future, which will allow full control over the Front lens (which is currently not available on his release). This should allow to soften the skin tones and make it more pleasant, for example...

Stay Tuned! :)
    Compatible with the OP8 5G UW?

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Low-Light Shot Comparison - Stock Cam / GCam (with custom XML)

Wide-Angle:

Main Lens:

Tele Lens:
    (GCam offers a 2.2x zoom instead of 3x for the stock app, hence the image ratio difference)

> On all 3 pictures, Stock OnePlus camera app decided to use HDR mode automatically, in order to boost saturation & contrasts.

> Stock & GCam apps decided where to focus by themselves, not the user.

> There is nothing artistic in those pictures, it's just an IQ comparison...

> None of the apps used any "Night" features, only the main photo mode.

> None of the 2 apps perform brilliantly in low-light scenario, still... you decide :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lycidias

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Compatible with the OP8 5G UW?
    Yes, this GCAM (snap version) is compatible with the Wide-Angle lens from our device.

However, you mention that your phone is a OP8, not a OP8 Pro, so you will certainly have to make some modifications in my XML settings file, and bear in mind that when using Ultra-Wide lens on GCam, there is no in-app fix for distortion.

Reactions: rodken

arvylas

Mar 14, 2012
    Athens!!
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Hi bud,

Well, here is the latest app 'update log':
    - fixed work of ColorTransform
    - changed the parameter "quality of extended HDR +" (added new correction algorithms, division into photo modes).
    - fixed the work of additional lenses on some devices.
    - Fixed minor bugs in the modification.

Concerning the XML settings file, there would be too many (small) changes to list them all. But all I can say is the latest XML, included in this post, provides some better colour reproduction, with a bit less saturation than before (the ColourTransform options have been changed), and more pleasant Reds, Greens & Blues. Some Developer parameters have been modified too, as well as some minor modifications in the RamPatcher area for all 3 main back lenses, and the JPG quality setting has been reverted back to 'Default' (95%), as I could not really see any visible improvement (even at a pixel level) when checking files saved at a higher setting.

I'd recommend to always stick with the latest XML, but I would also recommend to experiment with your own settings as well... :)
    So you use 2 different xml files for daytime and nightshot? I noticed that with the regular xml there's a green tint in nightshot which doesn't happen with the nightshot xml.

Reactions: Surfeur-des-Reves

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    So you use 2 different xml files for daytime and nightshot? I noticed that with the regular xml there's a green tint in nightshot which doesn't happen with the nightshot xml.
    Okay, thanks for this feedback. May I ask what exact version of the app you use (GVw, or older)? What version of the XML (v2.3, or older)? I used to have this green tint on older versions of the app & xml, too, not much anymore...

Anyway, you may try something:

Go to the GCam app settings > Additional Module Settings > Settings Back Lens (1.0) > ColorTransform. Click the first option at the top, then try with another color profile. I went for the V50 one, as it offered the best compromise to me, but you may find another profile better for your needs. Once you get the profile you prefer, make sure you apply it to the other lenses too. As we use an app not officially made for your device, it is all trials & errors, we must experiment, but that's part of the "fun".

Edit: sorry, I did not read your message carefully. So you get this green tint in nightshots only with my V2.3 xml. Well, that could be because the NightShot xml activates Google's Auto-White Balance by default in the settings. So, when you use the other xml, at night or under low-light / artificial lights, it is recommended that you use the AWB (in the app settings, top-screen button).

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

almsur

Apr 4, 2015
    Which GCam do you think is better for the OP8Pro?

I personally use the Nikita NGCam 7.4 v2.0 snap. It is the only one that has the 3 lens and you can increase the exposure +0.2 and the saturation 1.25.

There are other good GCam like Arnova 8.1.101, but it doesn't give you that options and in my opinion the photos are a bit dark and too saturated and it's really complicated to change it.

Also there's Nikita NGCam 8.1 v1.1, but I prefer the 7.4 results.

Reactions: Surfeur-des-Reves

Top Liked Posts

Thanks you for this great work! Thanks to you i dived into gcam world and love my 8pro again.
      Using V3 and 1.2 profile already and I noticed that Custom Library called "HDR_quality" is giving me more natural look than default Google library. I think that default library produces a little bit washed out colors, or maybe it's just mine phone? What do you think guys?
      Thanks you for this great work! Thanks to you i dived into gcam world and love my 8pro again.
      Using V3 and 1.2 profile already and I noticed that Custom Library called "HDR_quality" is giving me more natural look than default Google library. I think that default library produces a little bit washed out colors, or maybe it's just mine phone? What do you think guys?
      I'm glad to hear all this! The Google profile that is used by default has been kept with zero saturation and vibrancy boost, so that users can add them later, with post-editing softwares like Snapseed or Photoshop. Some people like to have full-control over all picture settings in a dedicated app rather than letting the camera do the job, while others prefer a 'point & shoot' solution. I decided to provide a profile which offers no boost, as well as low contrast, in order to let users adjust this later with editing softwares, but I will probably provide different profiles, with different settings, in the near future.

Your phone is fine, it looks a bit 'washed out', as you say. Simply because it's a 'flat' profile, made for post-edition. :)
      Where did you find the custom library and do you load it?
      You can simply long-press the bottom-left circle with the 2 arrows, and it will display a list of included libraries.
      I'm glad to hear all this! The Google profile that is used by default has been kept with zero saturation and vibrancy boost, so that users can add them later, with post-editing softwares like Snapseed or Photoshop. Some people like to have full-control over all picture settings in a dedicated app rather than letting the camera do the job, while others prefer a 'point & shoot' solution. I decided to provide a profile which offers no boost, as well as low contrast, in order to let users adjust this later with editing softwares, but I will probably provide different profiles, with different settings, in the near future.

Your phone is fine, it looks a bit 'washed out', as you say. Simply because it's a 'flat' profile, made for post-edition. :)
      It would be great if you could prepare additional profile for people like me who prefer 'point & shoot'. I know editing software a bit, on phones it used to be extra easy, but i simply don't have time for this, especially after my daughter arrived.
      I kinda prefer 'flat' processing, if flat means no extra bump of saturation or contrast, just clean picture which shows colors and world the way it really looks, without additional colorization. This sounds perfect for me. However I might be missing something. Because the way picture looks depends not only on the camera but also on the screen which renders the picture. So my phone's screen is setup to use sRGB. Not AMOLED super extra colours, and not P3, just sRGB, as i believe it's showing colors in most natural way. So later when I'm looking on picture on my IPS PC monitor the picture looks very very similar, basically the same.
      So after saying that, i am wondering what is 'flat' in your opinion? I am not photographer, just a simple man, but i will understand if having this washed out pictures is giving you some extra benefits in post-processing. I am wondering because on my side it's just too washed out, in example my hand looks like a hand of dead man. It would be fine in winter, but we have over 30 degrees summer and i am touched by the sun a bit.
      Anyway like said i love your work here, and appreciate it, and for me your work combined with HDR_quality is almost perfect, way better than stock app. Can I send you some beer from time to time? 😉
      Well, I've just been away for a day and already plenty of new messages here... Cool! :)

Not sure I have an answer for everything and everyone, but I'll try to help...

To start with, here is version 3.0 of the GCam app: https://ufile.io/mlcr7jp0

It is NOT (yet) available on Celso's website, so you can enjoy it before everyone else through my link. It brings several improvements found in the settings, compared to V1 and V2.

It seems some of you got problems enabling and using the Wide & Tele sensors. Well, they work fine on my device, and my guess is that some of you may have downloaded a slightly different version than the one I indicated. By the way, I use O² OS version 11.0.5.5, and I am rooted.

Concerning 'Motion' function, it is called 'Live Photo' in this app, and you can enable it in 'Setting up the mod' part of the Settings. I don't use it at all, so I can't tell if it works, but it seems to be there.

I've spent some more time trying to get the most natural colors from this app, with pictures giving plenty of details, some contrasts, as well as details in the shadows, all this with controlled noise. You can simply download my newest V1.2 xml profile, hope you'll enjoy it! ;-)

Saturation & Vibrancy have been kept LOW, so you get a Flat picture that you can easily post-edit with any app, like Snapseed or Photoshop Express on Play Store. Reds, Greens and Blues are not 'boosted', contrary to the stock app, so you may need to either 1) raise those values in the GCam app if you like saturated results, with the risk of losing authentic colours that may matter for some subjects or 2) simply post-edit your pictures, which takes seconds when you get used to it.

It's still a work-in-progress, but I am starting to really like this new GCam mod...
      Sadly I am not a great photographer or image quality geek but you configs are always worth sharing here! Thank you very much for Our work 😊

Btw: when I click import config, the NiCkAM8PRO V1.0 - PZD MGC.xml file becomes a zero bytes empty file... What I am doing wrong ?
      Thanks for the kind words. Actually, you simply have to extract my zip file to the root of your device, it should automatically create the 'ConfigsSettings8.2' folder that is needed by this P-Z-D Google Camera application (the 'old' GCam folder is not needed anymore).

Then, you simply double-click on the black area at the bottom of the main screen, and it should detect my custom xml and allow you to load the configuration. Select it, done!

Make sure you download my latest V1.1 xml custom profile, not the previous one.

Enjoy shooting! :)

Edit: Small fix in the code.
      Custom XML V3.4 :)

- Brings all the good things from previous releases!
      - Modified the 'Quality Enhanced HDR+' area for each and every lenses in order to bring a real quality jump from 'Fast' to 'Good' to 'High-Q'. Longer Exposure = More time to take your shot = Better picture quality (less noisy, more details).
      - Some modifications in the RamPatcher area. Some more contrast on UW and Main lenses to please the eyes (less post-editing needed, probably, but still perfectly possible).
      - Changed the Astro HDR+ Exposure Time from '35' to 'Auto' for all lenses to attempt at fixing the rare occasion that would bring an endless 00:00 timer when using Astro mode. Hope it works all the time now.

Have Fun!
      Another update for my (personal) custom XML, now V3.3:

-All the goodies from previous xml releases, including more memory allocation for GCam application (from 1400 to 2048MB)
      - Switched all back lenses to 'HDR+ Device' > "Pixel 5 - Redfin" (it brings a (very) slightly bluer tone to the final pictures, instead of a slight yellowish-greenish color tone (with Pixel IV "Flame")
      - Some modifications in the RamPatcher area. A tiny little bit more contrast on UW and Main lenses to please the eyes, and a little bit lower sharpness on the wide-angle, as well as very slightly reduced saturation for UW and Main lenses (personal preference here! Might differ from yours...).
      - Some Adjustments in the 'Quality Enhanced HDR+' mode for each xml profiles. Can totally be modified by anyone in order to fit your needs...

I believe you'll get a final picture that will be convenient to edit/finalize with your favorite app (I personally enjoy using Photoshop Express and Snapseed), offering plenty of details, with some reduced contrast and 'neutral' colours that can then be easily adjusted to your taste. Have fun! :)
      *** UPDATE ***

Due to some bugs and limitations in past/current B-S-G Google Camera releases, I've decided to stop working on it for now.

Instead, I'll focus on another Modified Google Camera (MGC) from P-Z-D team, based on latest Google Camera 8.2. Their mod' offers tons of interesting features, starting with exposure (alleluia!) & library shortcuts on main screen, a re-designed and modern-looking interface, a lot of settings to get the most of our device, and even the 'Face Retouch' function seems to work fine on this one!

Here is a link to the app, currently in V2: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-P-Z-D/f/dl1/

Make sure you download the GCam_8.2.204_P-Z-D.v.2_orange_Snap_multi.apk, as it already contains several libs in it.

I've been working a few hours on it tonight to provide you with an XML file. Yes, just one. Why? Simply because the shortcut to Exposure/ISO settings right on the main screen makes the whole concept of multiple profiles pretty much useless. You can just long-press on the 'gallery' at the bottom-right of the main screen to get this Exposure/ISO menu and choose whatever you need. Well, for those who still don't understand this menu much and feel safer with multiple presets, I'll make some, later.

Just remember to activate Auto White-Balance (AWB) when you use Night/Astro mode, to get stabilized for the shot, and to focus on the brightest light of the scenery (that will keep bightness down and enhance the contrasts while preserving details). You can also very well use the normal Photo mode even for night shots, just make sure you set ISO to 200 (or long exposure).

I'd really like to get your feedback on this new MGCamera, so I'd know if it's still worth sharing my work here or not. Thanks! :)
      Hello OnePlus Addicts,

Here is the newest Google Camera mod/fork, made by P-Z-D team, based on the newest 8.2 GCam version!

Please, keep in mind that I am not the app developer, just an enthousiastic end-user happy to share it!

/// https://ufile.io/mlcr7jp0 \\\

1) Just download the file above and install it on your phone.

(2) Go to your Phone Settings > Apps, then CLEAR ALL DATA/CACHE from the app you just installed, BEFORE starting it! Not absolutely necessary but recommended step)

3) Download the provided zip file which contains my custom XML profile and copy it at the root of your phone. Extract it, and it should create the appropriate folder at the same time.

4) Then, just start the app, give the necessary privileges, double-click on the lower black area near the 'shutter' button of the app, it should allow you to load custom profiles. Select my xml, press ok, done! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several 'hidden' shortcuts in this new GCam mod! For example, you can access the (very useful) Exposure/ISO menu by long-pressing the circle 'gallery' button on the lower-right of the main app screen, which will provide you with a choice of ISO settings, as well as Exposure choices. The lower the ISO, the better the final picture quality, but it will take more time to 'capture' your image. The same goes for Exposure; the longer the time, the better your image (and the lower iso at the same time), but you may have to be steady if you go lower than 1/10s.

A long-press on the Camera-Switch button, on the lower-left of the main app screen, will display a choice of libraries that are included in this mod. Quite useful too when you want to experiment with different tones / colors / contrasts...

Double-Press the viewfinder itself to bring full brightness to your device screen, a neat trick!

Don't forget the Auto White-Balance button (AWB) on the lower-left, which will prove useful at night, indoors too sometimes, under artificial lightings, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** NO Need to be ROOT **

Learn more about GCam and How to Master it: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/p/f/2021/05/GCam-Handbook.pdf

Learn more about RamPatcher settings (BSG MGC): https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/help/2/

Have Fun!
      Small update of XML file in OP, with some Lib Patchers adjustments, especially for night shots.
      Well, I've just been away for a day and already plenty of new messages here... Cool! :)

Not sure I have an answer for everything and everyone, but I'll try to help...

To start with, here is version 3.0 of the GCam app: https://ufile.io/mlcr7jp0

It is NOT (yet) available on Celso's website, so you can enjoy it before everyone else through my link. It brings several improvements found in the settings, compared to V1 and V2.

It seems some of you got problems enabling and using the Wide & Tele sensors. Well, they work fine on my device, and my guess is that some of you may have downloaded a slightly different version than the one I indicated. By the way, I use O² OS version 11.0.5.5, and I am rooted.

Concerning 'Motion' function, it is called 'Live Photo' in this app, and you can enable it in 'Setting up the mod' part of the Settings. I don't use it at all, so I can't tell if it works, but it seems to be there.

I've spent some more time trying to get the most natural colors from this app, with pictures giving plenty of details, some contrasts, as well as details in the shadows, all this with controlled noise. You can simply download my newest V1.2 xml profile, hope you'll enjoy it! ;-)

Saturation & Vibrancy have been kept LOW, so you get a Flat picture that you can easily post-edit with any app, like Snapseed or Photoshop Express on Play Store. Reds, Greens and Blues are not 'boosted', contrary to the stock app, so you may need to either 1) raise those values in the GCam app if you like saturated results, with the risk of losing authentic colours that may matter for some subjects or 2) simply post-edit your pictures, which takes seconds when you get used to it.

It's still a work-in-progress, but I am starting to really like this new GCam mod...
      Sadly I am not a great photographer or image quality geek but you configs are always worth sharing here! Thank you very much for Our work 😊

Btw: when I click import config, the NiCkAM8PRO V1.0 - PZD MGC.xml file becomes a zero bytes empty file... What I am doing wrong ?
      Thanks for the kind words. Actually, you simply have to extract my zip file to the root of your device, it should automatically create the 'ConfigsSettings8.2' folder that is needed by this P-Z-D Google Camera application (the 'old' GCam folder is not needed anymore).

Then, you simply double-click on the black area at the bottom of the main screen, and it should detect my custom xml and allow you to load the configuration. Select it, done!

Make sure you download my latest V1.1 xml custom profile, not the previous one.

Enjoy shooting! :)

Edit: Small fix in the code.
      Hey buddies,

After hours of testing different 8.1x, 8.0x and 7.4x releases, I could finally get a GCAM version that works FINE with Android 11, even the AUX sensors work PERFECT (at least on my -Rooted- A11 OOS 11.0.4.4).

Yes, it is NOT based on 8X releases but, as far as I could test and see (and I pixel-peeped a lot!), it is the one that gives the best IQ results and works best on our A11 device. At least for pictures, as I have not been focusing much on the video functions (it works though).

Make sure you use the XML I provided, I've been fine-tuning it for our device :)

Please let me know if it works great for you too!