[UPD] New GCam Release With Some AUX Support!

Search This thread

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Original Post UPDATED with LATEST BSG GCam for our OnePlus 8 Pro.

Still 8.1 version, but fixes a few things and brings more natural colours. XML improves noise reduction on all 3 back lenses while retaining a lot of details.

BSG will release another update, in the future, which will allow full control over the Front lens (which is currently not available on his release). This should allow to soften the skin tones and make it more pleasant, for example...

Stay Tuned! :)

Attachments

• NiCkAM8PRO.zip
      2.9 KB · Views: 51
    Last edited:
    Reactions: alone_in_dark

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Do you have any actual changes on this xml one or is it just the new version?
    Hi bud,

Well, here is the latest app 'update log':
    - fixed work of ColorTransform
    - changed the parameter "quality of extended HDR +" (added new correction algorithms, division into photo modes).
    - fixed the work of additional lenses on some devices.
    - Fixed minor bugs in the modification.

Concerning the XML settings file, there would be too many (small) changes to list them all. But all I can say is the latest XML, included in this post, provides some better colour reproduction, with a bit less saturation than before (the ColourTransform options have been changed), and more pleasant Reds, Greens & Blues. Some Developer parameters have been modified too, as well as some minor modifications in the RamPatcher area for all 3 main back lenses, and the JPG quality setting has been reverted back to 'Default' (95%), as I could not really see any visible improvement (even at a pixel level) when checking files saved at a higher setting.

I'd recommend to always stick with the latest XML, but I would also recommend to experiment with your own settings as well... :)

Attachments

• NiCkAM8PRO V2.3.zip
      6.2 KB · Views: 43

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Daylight Shot Comparison - Stock Cam / GCam (with custom XML)

Wide-Angle:

Main Lens:

Tele Lens:
    (GCam offers a 2.2x zoom instead of 3x for the stock app, hence the image ratio difference)

I'll try to post some more comparisons later, especially in dark conditions, as it is where GCam performs better than stock app, especially at recovering details and lighting up shadowy areas.

• Love
    Reactions: Lycidias

rodken

• Jan 11, 2010
    Google Pixel XL
    OnePlus 8
    Original Post UPDATED with LATEST BSG GCam for our OnePlus 8 Pro.

Still 8.1 version, but fixes a few things and brings more natural colours. XML improves noise reduction on all 3 back lenses while retaining a lot of details.

BSG will release another update, in the future, which will allow full control over the Front lens (which is currently not available on his release). This should allow to soften the skin tones and make it more pleasant, for example...

Stay Tuned! :)
    Compatible with the OP8 5G UW?

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Low-Light Shot Comparison - Stock Cam / GCam (with custom XML)

Wide-Angle:

Main Lens:

Tele Lens:
    (GCam offers a 2.2x zoom instead of 3x for the stock app, hence the image ratio difference)

> On all 3 pictures, Stock OnePlus camera app decided to use HDR mode automatically, in order to boost saturation & contrasts.

> Stock & GCam apps decided where to focus by themselves, not the user.

> There is nothing artistic in those pictures, it's just an IQ comparison...

> None of the apps used any "Night" features, only the main photo mode.

> None of the 2 apps perform brilliantly in low-light scenario, still... you decide :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lycidias

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Compatible with the OP8 5G UW?
    Yes, this GCAM (snap version) is compatible with the Wide-Angle lens from our device.

However, you mention that your phone is a OP8, not a OP8 Pro, so you will certainly have to make some modifications in my XML settings file, and bear in mind that when using Ultra-Wide lens on GCam, there is no in-app fix for distortion.

Reactions: rodken

arvylas

Mar 14, 2012
    Athens!!
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Hi bud,

Well, here is the latest app 'update log':
    - fixed work of ColorTransform
    - changed the parameter "quality of extended HDR +" (added new correction algorithms, division into photo modes).
    - fixed the work of additional lenses on some devices.
    - Fixed minor bugs in the modification.

Concerning the XML settings file, there would be too many (small) changes to list them all. But all I can say is the latest XML, included in this post, provides some better colour reproduction, with a bit less saturation than before (the ColourTransform options have been changed), and more pleasant Reds, Greens & Blues. Some Developer parameters have been modified too, as well as some minor modifications in the RamPatcher area for all 3 main back lenses, and the JPG quality setting has been reverted back to 'Default' (95%), as I could not really see any visible improvement (even at a pixel level) when checking files saved at a higher setting.

I'd recommend to always stick with the latest XML, but I would also recommend to experiment with your own settings as well... :)
    So you use 2 different xml files for daytime and nightshot? I noticed that with the regular xml there's a green tint in nightshot which doesn't happen with the nightshot xml.

Reactions: Surfeur-des-Reves

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    So you use 2 different xml files for daytime and nightshot? I noticed that with the regular xml there's a green tint in nightshot which doesn't happen with the nightshot xml.
    Okay, thanks for this feedback. May I ask what exact version of the app you use (GVw, or older)? What version of the XML (v2.3, or older)? I used to have this green tint on older versions of the app & xml, too, not much anymore...

Anyway, you may try something:

Go to the GCam app settings > Additional Module Settings > Settings Back Lens (1.0) > ColorTransform. Click the first option at the top, then try with another color profile. I went for the V50 one, as it offered the best compromise to me, but you may find another profile better for your needs. Once you get the profile you prefer, make sure you apply it to the other lenses too. As we use an app not officially made for your device, it is all trials & errors, we must experiment, but that's part of the "fun".

Edit: sorry, I did not read your message carefully. So you get this green tint in nightshots only with my V2.3 xml. Well, that could be because the NightShot xml activates Google's Auto-White Balance by default in the settings. So, when you use the other xml, at night or under low-light / artificial lights, it is recommended that you use the AWB (in the app settings, top-screen button).

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

almsur

Apr 4, 2015
    Which GCam do you think is better for the OP8Pro?

I personally use the Nikita NGCam 7.4 v2.0 snap. It is the only one that has the 3 lens and you can increase the exposure +0.2 and the saturation 1.25.

There are other good GCam like Arnova 8.1.101, but it doesn't give you that options and in my opinion the photos are a bit dark and too saturated and it's really complicated to change it.

Also there's Nikita NGCam 8.1 v1.1, but I prefer the 7.4 results.

Reactions: Surfeur-des-Reves

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Small update of the XML settings profiles, V2.8 :)

Latest GCam (SNAP) with Libraries: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/f/dl24/
      Custom XML V3.4 :)

- Brings all the good things from previous releases!
      - Modified the 'Quality Enhanced HDR+' area for each and every lenses in order to bring a real quality jump from 'Fast' to 'Good' to 'High-Q'. Longer Exposure = More time to take your shot = Better picture quality (less noisy, more details).
      - Some modifications in the RamPatcher area. Some more contrast on UW and Main lenses to please the eyes (less post-editing needed, probably, but still perfectly possible).
      - Changed the Astro HDR+ Exposure Time from '35' to 'Auto' for all lenses to attempt at fixing the rare occasion that would bring an endless 00:00 timer when using Astro mode. Hope it works all the time now.

Have Fun!
      Another update for my (personal) custom XML, now V3.3:

-All the goodies from previous xml releases, including more memory allocation for GCam application (from 1400 to 2048MB)
      - Switched all back lenses to 'HDR+ Device' > "Pixel 5 - Redfin" (it brings a (very) slightly bluer tone to the final pictures, instead of a slight yellowish-greenish color tone (with Pixel IV "Flame")
      - Some modifications in the RamPatcher area. A tiny little bit more contrast on UW and Main lenses to please the eyes, and a little bit lower sharpness on the wide-angle, as well as very slightly reduced saturation for UW and Main lenses (personal preference here! Might differ from yours...).
      - Some Adjustments in the 'Quality Enhanced HDR+' mode for each xml profiles. Can totally be modified by anyone in order to fit your needs...

I believe you'll get a final picture that will be convenient to edit/finalize with your favorite app (I personally enjoy using Photoshop Express and Snapseed), offering plenty of details, with some reduced contrast and 'neutral' colours that can then be easily adjusted to your taste. Have fun! :)
      Today on the Menu:

1) An APP update: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/f/dl27/ (download the first APK, 'Snap')

2) A collection of 4 different Libraries (to import and test, in the GCam app settings): https://ufile.io/9xt3mjrz

3) A (small) XML profiles update (download below) which brings an attempt at fixing a slight color deviation on wide-angle lens, as well as some noise-reduction improvements on wide-angle and main lenses, while preserving as many details as possible.
      I notice in v3.0 profiles there are 3 xmls. Which one should I pick for best natural color and quality?
      Hello there, glad to see you join us :)

"Best", "Natural colours" and "Quality" differ from one to another, so I guess it all has to be experimented. You may want to start with "Fast" xml for normal daylight shots, as well as for lowlight shots but with more noise in your pictures.

You usually get noisier pictures (the random variation of brightness or color information in images, also not properly named as 'grain') when you use a shorter ('faster') exposure time. 'Fast' xml settings will try to increase the ISO, at the cost of exposure time (which will be smaller/faster when you take your shots), but that will result in a picture which might have some noise and not the very best image quality, especially in low light conditions. However, it is perfectly enough for 95% of daylight pictures.

You may want to use the 'Good' xml profile when you want an increase in quality, as well as some lower noise/pixel-distortion, but that comes at a price: longer exposure time. This means you will have to hold your device steady for a longer time, but in the end, you get a better quality shot, with lower noise and lower ISO (closer to 100, for the 'best' details/clarity/quality).

Regarding "natural colours", if you're not satisfied with the results you get, you could change saturation (in the Settings > Additional Module Settings > Lens-you-want-to-edit (Let's say Back Lens 1.0) > Ram Patcher > Main Settings > Saturation). You can try to turn it off (as in library) or just define a lower number. Alternatively, you can also use the "ColorTransform" option and select another choice (I chose IMX682, after comparing them all, but you could very well prefer a different option). Try & Experiment, bud :)

In Photography (not only Digital), it is often, if not always, a matter of compromises to make.
      Hello OnePlus Addicts,

Here is the newest Google Camera mod/fork, made by BSG, based on 8.1 GCam version.

Please, keep in mind that I am not the app developer, just an enthousiastic end-user happy to share it!

/// https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/f/dl29/ \\\

1) Just download the file named 'SNAP' on your device, UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS GCAM VERSION and then INSTALL the NEW ONE.

2) Go to your Phone Settings > Apps, then CLEAR ALL DATA/CACHE from the app you just installed, BEFORE starting it!

3) Then, just start the app, give the necessary privileges, go to the settings, scroll down and load the XML settings file. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why 4 Profiles?

I understand well that not all of us are expecting and looking for the same things when it comes to photography in general and image quality from tiny lenses on a smartphone, so I decided to make 4 profiles, with explicit names:

'FAST' is, as the name obviously implies, focused on taking snapshots in NORMAL conditions. Can be used for low-light and night shots, but it will increase ISO in order to shorten the exposure time. You get a nice mix of speed & IQ, with not too much compromise on final image result.

'GOOD' combines great picture quality with good speed. Not as fast as 'FAST' profile for lower-light shots, but can deliver slightly better picture quality when the light comes missing. I personally go for this profile almost all the time.

'HIGH-Q' brings even a higher image quality result to you, thanks to a longer exposure time. It can be used without problem in daylight conditions, but you may need to be steady for a second or two with low-light scenarios.

'NIGHT' focuses on Quality, at the cost of speed. It can help you get the best quality pictures at Low-Light / Artificial Light / Night, but then you should find a way to be stabilized, to avoid blurry pictures. This profile is useful when you want to put your smartphone camera sensors to its limits.

Of course, take this as a base for your own customization. No profile will please everyone, so make these profiles YOURS by tweaking them! :)

>>> REMEMBER to Turn Auto-WhiteBalance *ON* when taking shots INDOOR, LOW-LIGHT and at NIGHT (It is automatically turned ON when you open the 'Night' xml profile). You may also want to switch Auto-WB ON when using the other profiles too, especially if you get too red / orange-yellowish tones on your pictures under specific lighting conditions. <<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** NO Need to be ROOT **

Learn more about GCam and How to Master it: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/p/f/2021/05/GCam-Handbook.pdf

Have Fun!
      Small update of XML file in OP, with some Lib Patchers adjustments, especially for night shots.
      Here's a New Release for our OnePlus 8 Pro device:

** GCAM 8.1 by BSG & Team MGC **

All the information is provided on the first post, make sure to read it all and follow the steps to install and set everything. :)
      Small UPDATE - Changelog from Dev:
      - Fixed issue with noise in shadows.
      - Added Anti-Buffing.
      - Changed the problem of sections when the category header was not visible.
      - Disabled Logging.
      - Minor Issues Fixed.
      - Optimized Modification Weight.

XML Settings Updated:
      - Changed the HDR+ Device Model to 'Pixel IV' (Flame)
      - Adjusted Raw Format for HDR+ to 'RAW10'
      - Adjusted Merge Method to 'Wiener Filter'
      - Adjusted HDR+ Enhanced Frames Number to 25
      - Slightly Adjusted the RamPatcher on some Lenses
      - Enabled OpenGL Preview

Keep in mind that the provided settings MUST be adapted depending on what you want to capture (indoor, people, night, daylight...). Therefore, it is best to create several different profiles and switch from one to the other based on what kind of scene you want to capture.

You can also change the 'Libs' in the App Settings and get a softer, or brighter, darker, or sharper picture. 4 Libs are provided, in-app.

Enjoy :)
      Hey buddies,

After hours of testing different 8.1x, 8.0x and 7.4x releases, I could finally get a GCAM version that works FINE with Android 11, even the AUX sensors work PERFECT (at least on my -Rooted- A11 OOS 11.0.4.4).

Yes, it is NOT based on 8X releases but, as far as I could test and see (and I pixel-peeped a lot!), it is the one that gives the best IQ results and works best on our A11 device. At least for pictures, as I have not been focusing much on the video functions (it works though).

Make sure you use the XML I provided, I've been fine-tuning it for our device :)

Please let me know if it works great for you too!
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone