[UPD] New GCam Release With Some AUX Support!

Search This thread

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    A slight update of the provided XML file. To me, it performs way better than the stock camera for night shots. And for the rest, you tell me :). I personally believe the stock app still does a better job when it comes to portraits and people in general, putting more light on their face, making them brighter, so the focus is on them.

Last edited:

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    So I just purchased an Oneplus 8 Pro and want to try out the GCAM, which version should I download?
    Well, a smart first move would be to begin with the release provided in the original post (1st page). Just follow the steps, download the 'Snapcam' version of the apk, download the zip file that contains the XML configuration file as well, install everything on your device. Make sure you read the full first post, as it explains everything, especially if you're not familiar with GCAM on your Android device.

The provided settings (through the XML file) are just here to help, they are my personal preference, but you're advised to start from them and configure the rest to your liking :)

Remember, GCAM is especially useful for low-light shots, and at night. The stock app already does quite a good job for daylight shots.

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Am I blind or there is no "Wide lens correction" on this cam?
    There is no wide-angle lens perspective correction on most, if not all, GCam releases for our device. Have just tried the newest GCam MGC 8.1 release, by BSG developer, ( Snapcam version available here: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/f/dl11/ ) and it works well with our device, but no distortion correction on this one too.

So, unless I'm proven wrong (and I hope I will!), you should not expect in-app distortion correction from any GCam release. You may be able to get this fixed by some third-app anyway.

Reactions: ps000000

jerzyb40

Aug 15, 2012
    Hello World!

Before I place the following link on the first page and replace the existing 7.4 GCam release, I'd like a few people to test this 8.1 GCam backup, which includes the apk installation + all settings and tweaks applied to it.

Why not just include apk and an xml file separately? Simply because this apk is still under development and the dev, BSG, does not allow for the xml import/export function, yet.

So I had to go for a backup of my app + settings through an app called Swift Backup, which some of you probably already know, and you can then restore my data through the app.

** You Need ROOT (only for Swift Backup to work) **

Instructions are not that hard:

// Prerequisite => Make sure you delete any existing GCAM snapcam release you installed on your device before you proceed further! \\

1) Download Swift Backup on Play Store and start it once, grant root if asked, then exit the app. (the app folder and subfolders will be created).
    2) Download my backup ( https://easyupload.io/9gdmxz ); using password NiCkAM8PRO
    3) Extract the zip file and check that you have 4 files.
    4) Copy them into your SwiftBackup \ accounts \ UniqueID \ backups \ apps \ local folder, on your device.
    5) Start Swift Backup and use the Restore App function.
    6) Make sure the Camera app (org.codeaurora.snapcam) is checked, then Restore it.
    7) RESTART YOUR PHONE!
    8) Check if the app works fine on your device, and that you get a satisfying image quality with the 3 main lenses. Video should work fine too, and should be (at least) EIS-stabilized.
    9) Even if you're happy with the results you get, PLEASE DON'T SHARE those configuration files to other groups/websites for now! It is still in 'Beta' / 'under-construction'...

---------------------

N00b Information:

It is GCAM, so the purpose of it is to get the best possible IQ/details but not necessarily in the most convenient way for some of you. The shutter is not 'instant', so you'll need to wait longer after you take your shot, especially at night and in low-light situations, hence the importance for getting your device stable. Don't blame me, blame Google's HDR+ Enhanced function maybe! ;-)

Auto White-Balance has been turned ON, but you may want to turn it OFF depending on the light conditions. Easy access through the top bar of the app (Google AWB).

Depending on your expectations, you may find that using "Instantaneous HDR+ Enhanced" function, in the Advanced Settings, might be enough for you, so you don't have to hold your phone for too long when taking a snapshot. Quality will be (a bit) lower than real HDR+ though.

Yes, there is no Distortion Correction in-app when using Wide-Angle for now, maybe never. Yes, the Slow-Motion video mode does not work, for now. Dev will be working on it in the future, but it's not his priority at the moment. Yes, you can't choose video bitrate, for now, and this will come in a later update.

'Focus Tracking' in Video mode has been turned OFF, as it will make the app Crash. Don't turn it on for now, it will not work anyway!

---------------------

Thanks for your time and feedback!
    Invalid file password.

Reactions: Surfeur-des-Reves

Chris650

Jan 1, 2021
    Thanks for your work. I cant install it. It means that this is an update for a existing gcam installation, but i deinstal the old version before. Im non rooted.

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Thanks for your work. I cant install it. It means that this is an update for a existing gcam installation, but i deinstal the old version before. Im non rooted.
    Yes, you must fully uninstall any previous GCam that you installed before on your device. This new version cannot be installed as an "update" to any previous GCam release.

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
    Is the tele camera really using the tele lens with 3x or is it google's 2.2x? It is easy compare with a photo from native camera with tele lens and gcam's tele lens and see how far out gcam's photo is. Can someone plese confirm?

What does 8.1 bring to the table anyway, compared to 7.4?

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Is the tele camera really using the tele lens with 3x or is it google's 2.2x? It is easy compare with a photo from native camera with tele lens and gcam's tele lens and see how far out gcam's photo is. Can someone plese confirm?

What does 8.1 bring to the table anyway, compared to 7.4?
    Hi, as far as I can tell, 2.2x uses the main sensor; it's obvious from the quality you get in low-light shots (as long as you remain steady while shooting). I've done enough comparison with it, between Google 2.2x and stock 3x sensor to know that GCam cannot possibly use the real tele-sensor to provide such IQ. We may lose 0.8x in the process, but it's not a big loss when comparing IQ we get. Please test by yourself, maybe I'm wrong and just being enthusiastic, but from my several tests, I always managed to get better results using GCam (kinda) 'tele' mode.

Concerning the app updates brought by GCam 8.1, here's what we get:

Last edited:

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Small UPDATE - Changelog from Dev:
    - Fixed issue with noise in shadows.
    - Added Anti-Buffing.
    - Changed the problem of sections when the category header was not visible.
    - Disabled Logging.
    - Minor Issues Fixed.
    - Optimized Modification Weight.

XML Settings Updated:
    - Changed the HDR+ Device Model to 'Pixel IV' (Flame)
    - Adjusted Raw Format for HDR+ to 'RAW10'
    - Adjusted Merge Method to 'Wiener Filter'
    - Adjusted HDR+ Enhanced Frames Number to 25
    - Slightly Adjusted the RamPatcher on some Lenses
    - Enabled OpenGL Preview

Keep in mind that the provided settings MUST be adapted depending on what you want to capture (indoor, people, night, daylight...). Therefore, it is best to create several different profiles and switch from one to the other based on what kind of scene you want to capture.

You can also change the 'Libs' in the App Settings and get a softer, or brighter, darker, or sharper picture. 4 Libs are provided, in-app.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

chowdog123

Feb 9, 2021
    - Added Anti-Buffing.
    - Disabled Logging.
    - Minor Issues Fixed.

XML Settings Updated:
    - Adjusted Exposure Compensation back to 'Default'
    - Enabled OpenGL Preview

Keep in mind that the provided settings MUST be adapted depending on what you want to capture (indoor, people, night, daylight...). Therefore, it is best to create several different profiles and switch from one to the other based on what kind of scene you want to capture.

Hey good day mate! The link is secured.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-163656.jpg
      Screenshot_20210426-163656.jpg
      200.2 KB · Views: 27

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    Hey good day mate! The link is secured.
    I'm sorry about your issue, it works fine where I am, but anyway, here is a mirror file:

Please let me know if you can download it now.
    Cheers! :)

Reactions: chowdog123

chowdog123

Feb 9, 2021
    I'm sorry about your issue, it works fine where I am, but anyway, here is a mirror file:

Please let me know if you can download it now.
    Cheers! :)
    It's working!! Thank you so much mate :) i'll give the camera a shot right now. Cheers!

Reactions: Surfeur-des-Reves

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    It's working!! Thank you so much mate :) i'll give the camera a shot right now. Cheers!
    Glad to hear it! Make sure you try some of the Custom Libraries (first option in the settings), so that you can compare the final picture from one lib to another. Alternatively, you can very well decide not to rely at all on my settings and set everything by yourself. It could actually give you a final picture that you may very well prefer. I always encourage people to tweak GCAM to their liking.

One last thing, about video mode this time; whatever app version we get from Google, the results we get are far from satisfying. Better not rely on GCAM for taking videos, you'll find much better alternatives with other apps like Open Camera, and the stock OnePlus app is not bad too at recording movies!

Last edited:
    Reactions: chowdog123

Surfeur-des-Reves

• Jun 21, 2008
    /// New APP Update for the GCAM Enthusiasts \\\

>>> SNAP version required for our OnePlus 8 Pro. <<<

BSG public version changelog (8.1.101 from 04/28/2021):
    - added "Help" button (brief description of the modification menu items), the button is located to the left of the "Settings" button
    - Modified Noise Model moved to "Ram patcher" section.
    - fixed a problem with high noise in the photo on some devices.
    - Fixed shading map for Exynos (problem with circles in the photo).
    - fixed minor problems in the modification.

XML file was updated accordingly.

Attachments

• NiCkAM8PRO.zip
      2.7 KB · Views: 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Here's a New Release for our OnePlus 8 Pro device:

** GCAM 8.1 by BSG & Team MGC **

All the information is provided on the first post, make sure to read it all and follow the steps to install and set everything. :)
      - Added Anti-Buffing.
      - Disabled Logging.
      - Minor Issues Fixed.

XML Settings Updated:
      - Enabled OpenGL Preview

You can also change the 'Libs' in the App Settings and get a softer, or brighter, darker, or sharper picture. 4 Libs are provided, in-app.

And here is what will be my final XML settings update for the current 8.1 GCam release from BSG developer. I see no way to actually bring anything better from this app with my settings, so I'll keep it that way, until dev switches to 8.2 :)
      Re-worked my XML settings (mostly the RamPatcher area, for each and every lens available on GCam) to -attempt to- provide better results in low-light & night scenarios.
      /// New APP Update for the GCAM Enthusiasts \\\

>>> SNAP version required for our OnePlus 8 Pro. <<<

- added "Help" button (brief description of the modification menu items), the button is located to the left of the "Settings" button

XML file was updated accordingly.
      Hello OnePlus Addicts,

After a short break, thinking about which Release to provide you with, and how to set the XML configuration file for most of our needs, here is the newest Google Camera mod/fork, made by BSG, based on 8.1 GCam version.

Please, keep in mind that I am not the app developer, just an enthousiastic end-user happy to share it!

/// https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/f/dl17/ \\\

Just download the SNAP version on your device, install the APK, and copy-paste the zip file attached to this post, then extract it at the root of your phone storage.

Then, just start the app, give the necessary privileges, go to the settings, scroll down and load the XML settings file. Voilà!

** NO Need to be ROOT **

Remember, it is still a work-in-progress, as all GCam releases are. We are dealing with mods/hacks, as we don't use a Pixel device, after all. Most functions should work fine, with the exception of the slow-motion video, something the developer is fully aware of but he decided not to prioritize it at the moment.

The required time to process pictures with GCAM in Enhanced HDR+ mode is longer than the instant snapshot from the stock cam app. Most people familiar with GCAM would know that already, but I feel fair to remind and warn new users about it. It is normal, as the app will take dozens of pictures and process them into one single shot, providing better image quality. If you're in a hurry and want to get instant snapshots, at the cost of IQ, you can activate the 'Instantaneous HDR+ Enhanced' function, in the Advanced Settings of the app.

This App is not meant to fully replace the original stock camera app by OnePlus, which still gives some interesting results. It is rather meant to provide more flexibility and better results in some specific situations, especially low-light sceneries and interior shots. You'd better switch from one to the other, and learn when it's best to use each of them! :)

Have Fun!
      Small update of XML file in OP, with some Lib Patchers adjustments, especially for night shots.
      Here's a New Release for our OnePlus 8 Pro device:

** GCAM 8.1 by BSG & Team MGC **

All the information is provided on the first post, make sure to read it all and follow the steps to install and set everything. :)
      - Added Anti-Buffing.
      - Disabled Logging.
      - Minor Issues Fixed.

XML Settings Updated:
      - Enabled OpenGL Preview

Hey buddies,

After hours of testing different 8.1x, 8.0x and 7.4x releases, I could finally get a GCAM version that works FINE with Android 11, even the AUX sensors work PERFECT (at least on my -Rooted- A11 OOS 11.0.4.4).

Yes, it is NOT based on 8X releases but, as far as I could test and see (and I pixel-peeped a lot!), it is the one that gives the best IQ results and works best on our A11 device. At least for pictures, as I have not been focusing much on the video functions (it works though).

Make sure you use the XML I provided, I've been fine-tuning it for our device :)

Please let me know if it works great for you too!
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone