[Update: 25 nov] Microsoft Facebook 1.4 (1.1.0.26)

Search This thread

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
Microsoft Facebook 1.4 is now available
You can download the untouched, original CAB file from this post (1.4 a.k.a. 1.1.0.26) or just open the Windows Marketplace for Mobile and download the update when prompted.
____

NOTES:

- As Microsoft is discontinuing its effort on the WM 6.X platform, please also take into consideration the following non official Facebook apps made by XDA Members: Sense 2.5 Facebook Tab (FB|Tab) and XDA FaceBook App for WinMo

- Matchbox Mobile, the developer of the Facebook app on MS behalf is checking this thread.
If you should experience any bugs or if you have some suggestions for future versions of this app, feel free to join the discussion :)
thanks to Richard and Matchbox Mobile for helping us out and gathering infos and bugs to improve the application
____

WHAT'S NEW
CURRENT VERSION: 1.1.0.26
- Bugfixes (?)

Version 1.1.0.17
- Bugfixes (?)
- Pokes seems to be working now.

Version 1.1.0.14
- Hopefully some bugfixes and improved speed
- Improved notifications system
- "View Comments"
- "Comment"
- "Like" (or "Dislike")
- “Search” (for new contacts or existing ones).

____

KNOWN TWEAKS
- Change Image Cache: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5522721&postcount=13 (thanks to owziee)
- Change Facebook language: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5543187&postcount=66 (thanks to Real_Justus)
____

WHAT'S STILL MISSING (compared to other platforms FB apps)
- Live feed and chat.
- It's not possible to check who has "liked" any post/image/etc.
____

REPORTED PROBLEMS

- On some devices, after viewing a photo album, MS Facebook is unable to view any other contact's album pictures and generate their album list.
- On some configurations, MS Facebook is unable to remember login credentials after closing the app.

- Slow page scrolling reported on some devices.
- After viewing a photo album, MS Facebook is unable to view any other contact's album pictures and generate their album list.
- dominicanman912 reports that MS Facebook changed the volume keys mapping, so he's unable to change the volume anymore. There are no other reports of this issue.
- Facebook throws out an error while trying to fetch the inbox.
- megapinky is reporting he's unable to change photo to see another ones in the picture view, with gestures not working.
- Sometimes MS FB will not post updates once submitted; you'll need to try multiple times until your wall gets updated.
- pndragon reports that his all his news feeds are showing up as double posts.
- On i8000 if you should have install problems try follow this guide (thanks to b006): Restall v1.1 from Marketplace to override the preinstalled version, then go to Main Storage in settings and delete it (uninstall). Next install this version 1.2, not in main (since the preinstalled v1.1 is there to avoid conflicts) but in other storage options you have.
- On some devices, Facebook throws out an error message while trying to poke someone.
____

If a new Microsoft Facebook client version should pop up on the Marketplace, on the Microsoft Download web site or here, please remove the previous version using the remove programs applet prior to install the new update.
____

attachment.php

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Thanks!!

MS needs to speed up the development on this app because iPhone's and Android's facebook apps are way better then what we're getting (haven't used blackberry's fb app yet)

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
Anytime :)
imho I think that if MS decided to not release this version for Pocket PC it means that they're preparing something better compared to the Smartphone version, and hopefully we'll have some updates for MWC :)

owziee

Sep 1, 2007
EU
Big thank you for sharing this update with us!!! Isn't it strange that they released an update for smartphones and no update for PPC???

I think PPC's are more popular than smartphones...

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
Yeah, it's strange that they didn't posted that in the touchscreen marketplace, also because there's a huge version bump (from 1.0.0.7 to 1.1.0.14) and some very welcome new features; when first extracted the original CAB wouldn't even install on my HD2 so I had to build it from scratch, so hopefully they're doing something better for our WM Professional devices.

Last edited:

st3ph3nt3

Feb 8, 2009
Taipei
Scrolling is very very slow.. Need to drag using the scroll bar to scroll down faster.. Is there a fix?

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
Scrolling is very very slow.. Need to drag using the scroll bar to scroll down faster.. Is there a fix?

Will look into that, but as far as I know there's no solution. As it's an application released to work only on non touchscreen devices, they probably didn't put much attention into (kinetic) scrolling. If I had to scroll down faster I used the scroll bar, too, but imo that's not too much of a hassle :)

owziee

Sep 1, 2007
EU
After trying it a while now I've noticed that this version is a big improvement... Friends pictures of their faces loads almost instantly, contact list and other stuff also loads much much faster than before. Plus the new comments feature is nice of course.

I've also noticed it caches face images (probably to make them load faster), you can move the cache with a simple change in the registry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Facebook\ImageCache where you can see the Path...

screennew.png

I moved mine to Internal Storage (Internminne\FacebookCache)

Last edited:

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
love the new version but it remapped my volume keys to select items. so no volume control at all!!!

Unfortunately I can't replicate your problem :(
My volume keys are working fine while I'm using the facebook app and while I'm browsing HTC Sense

After trying it a while now I've noticed that this version is a big improvement... Friends pictures of their faces loads almost instantly, contact list and other stuff also loads much much faster than before. Plus the new comments feature is nice of course.
I've also noticed it caches face images (probably to make them load faster), you can move the cache with a simple change in the registry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Facebook\ImageCache where you can see the Path...
I moved mine to Internal Storage (Internminne\FacebookCache)

There are a lot of new registry values added by Facebook after the first run like DeleteMailPeriod, UserActionPublished, V1, V2, V3, V4. The Path was something I had noticed while building the cab, I'm sorry I didn't told you about this entry buy I wanted to be sure that the app was stable for everyone.
In the meanwhile, I found a bug tho: FB app is not generating thumbnails for my (and my friends) photo galleries after I checked someone else album. Can you replicate them, too?

Last edited:

gonzo2345

Nov 3, 2008
Great work!!

Is there a way to show not the news feeds, but the live feed?

Last edited:

gonzo2345

Nov 3, 2008
this would be soo awesome... in my opinion facebook is only good with the live feed.

But its a great app anyway!
Keep going!

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
Well now we just need two last features: chat and live feed... Let's hope they'll deliver them in the next update :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Microsoft Facebook 1.4 is now available
    You can download the untouched, original CAB file from this post (1.4 a.k.a. 1.1.0.26) or just open the Windows Marketplace for Mobile and download the update when prompted.
    ____

NOTES:

- As Microsoft is discontinuing its effort on the WM 6.X platform, please also take into consideration the following non official Facebook apps made by XDA Members: Sense 2.5 Facebook Tab (FB|Tab) and XDA FaceBook App for WinMo

- Matchbox Mobile, the developer of the Facebook app on MS behalf is checking this thread.
    If you should experience any bugs or if you have some suggestions for future versions of this app, feel free to join the discussion :)
    thanks to Richard and Matchbox Mobile for helping us out and gathering infos and bugs to improve the application
    ____

WHAT'S NEW
    CURRENT VERSION: 1.1.0.26
    - Bugfixes (?)

Version 1.1.0.17
    - Bugfixes (?)
    - Pokes seems to be working now.

Version 1.1.0.14
    - Hopefully some bugfixes and improved speed
    - Improved notifications system
    - "View Comments"
    - "Comment"
    - "Like" (or "Dislike")
    - “Search” (for new contacts or existing ones).

____

KNOWN TWEAKS
    - Change Image Cache: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5522721&postcount=13 (thanks to owziee)
    - Change Facebook language: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5543187&postcount=66 (thanks to Real_Justus)
    ____

WHAT'S STILL MISSING (compared to other platforms FB apps)
    - Live feed and chat.
    - It's not possible to check who has "liked" any post/image/etc.
    ____

REPORTED PROBLEMS

- On some devices, after viewing a photo album, MS Facebook is unable to view any other contact's album pictures and generate their album list.
    - On some configurations, MS Facebook is unable to remember login credentials after closing the app.

- Slow page scrolling reported on some devices.
    - After viewing a photo album, MS Facebook is unable to view any other contact's album pictures and generate their album list.
    - dominicanman912 reports that MS Facebook changed the volume keys mapping, so he's unable to change the volume anymore. There are no other reports of this issue.
    - Facebook throws out an error while trying to fetch the inbox.
    - megapinky is reporting he's unable to change photo to see another ones in the picture view, with gestures not working.
    - Sometimes MS FB will not post updates once submitted; you'll need to try multiple times until your wall gets updated.
    - pndragon reports that his all his news feeds are showing up as double posts.
    - On i8000 if you should have install problems try follow this guide (thanks to b006): Restall v1.1 from Marketplace to override the preinstalled version, then go to Main Storage in settings and delete it (uninstall). Next install this version 1.2, not in main (since the preinstalled v1.1 is there to avoid conflicts) but in other storage options you have.
    - On some devices, Facebook throws out an error message while trying to poke someone.
    ____

If a new Microsoft Facebook client version should pop up on the Marketplace, on the Microsoft Download web site or here, please remove the previous version using the remove programs applet prior to install the new update.
    ____

attachment.php

Enjoy :)
    I installed FB 1.2 in my OMNIA II. This new app clashes with (or partially overwrites) the FB 1.1 that came preinstalled with the device. Now I couldn't open FB 1.1. In addition, I couldn't remove FB 1.2 from the main storage. Tried it manually but the program just stuck there. Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

When you installed the cab, it replaced the 1.1 files that are in \program files\facebook, so you won't be able to use 1.1 unless you use some trickery. It should have also over-written some rom files (zlibce.dll and maybe facebook.0409.mui). You probably can't remove it with 'remove programs' because of the over-written rom files. If you want to fix that, I would suggest using sk tools and the 'replace rom files' tool. Then just delete the entire facebook folder (or its contents) as well as the registry keys (hkcu\software\microsoft\facebook). You may want to back that key up just in case, but this version of facebook has a few new values. Also delete the imagecache in the \temp folder.

To re-install the original facebook (not sure why you'd want to), look in \windows for a cab file. My guess is that's how it was installed. If not, look for facebook.exe, and a couple dlls (I think facebookgraphics.dll and something similar) and copy them to the \program files\facebook folder. You can check the file 'initflashfiles.dat' to see what needs to go there. You may have trouble finding the registry keys, but they may be re-written as soon as you launch the program. Of course, if the files are just sitting in windows, you can re-route the path of the start menu shortcut to windows, and the app should work fine.
    Hey Richard, I'm glad you feel better :) Thanks for your update, I'll update the first post with the latest news
    Hey m8s
    the apps language is the same language as the ROMs. While installation a MUI-File is copied to the windowsdirectory. In my case (english ROM) it is the facebook.exe.0409.mui. In the Program Files\Facebook directory you can find all other languages available as MUI-Files.

facebook.exe.0C0A.mui = spanish
    facebook.exe.040C.mui = french
    facebook.exe.0408.mui = greek
    facebook.exe.0407.mui = german
    facebook.exe.0408.mui = italian
    facebook.exe.0413.mui = dutch
    facebook.exe.0415.mui = polish
    If you want to change the language the app is using, take the file according to your mothertongue and rename this file. It has to be the same name as the MUI in the Windowsdirectory. When done, replace the MUI in the Windowsdirectory with the one renamed.
    Remember to make backups of the original files!
    Good luck and best regards
    Justus
    facebook.exe.0414.mui = norwegian