• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Update.3 /rear camera and flash stopped working/:Pixel is turning off after putting it in my back pocket. Update: battery problem returns

Search This thread

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
Hello
I recently installed a new screen protector.
After a day or two I started experiencing phone turned off after I take it off from my back pocket???
It never turned off in my hands or when put aside.
It happened frequently and I noticed sometimes battery stats is varied after turning phone back on, but I think it's normal because the battery Hold on good during the day.
Is there a way to record what is happening after I put it in my back pocket?
Is it accedently pressing the power button and touching on turning it off?
Is there a way to swipe to turn off the phone instead of the new android 11 power menu?
Thanks in advance.

Update 31/01/2021
Ordered new battery and battery connector , it's onboard connector, take it to a reparing shop , and got it fixed .

PS
1-I doubt any reparing shop will replace battery connector because it's very smalle and hard process .
2- order 5 battery connectors as i did , it's cheap and in the replacing process accidently burned 2 connector and the third time was a success , so order 4 or 5 just in case.

update 2
I must be very unlucky
Rear camera and flash stopped working even after hard reset and format.
I replaced the camera and everything is super.

Update 3
Battery is not charging again and stuck at 50% status.

I want to move on to another phone that has a great camera experience.

I honestly don't know if there is a similar camera experience such as pixel.

I watched dozens of reviews and comparisons of other phones.
I am confused

Last edited:

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
Hello
I recently installed a new screen protector.
After a day or two I started experiencing phone turned off after I take it off from my back pocket???
It never turned off in my hands or when put aside.
It happened frequently and I noticed sometimes battery stats is varied after turning phone back on, but I think it's normal because the battery Hold on good during the day.
Is there a way to record what is happening after I put it in my back pocket?
Is it accedently pressing the power button and touching on turning it off?
Is there a way to swipe to turn off the phone instead of the new android 11 power menu?
Thanks in advance
Seen a few of these at work. Grab top and bottom of phone and twist. See if it turns off. If it does RMA it. My co-worker said he thinks a solder connection gets broke from fatigue from slight bending over and over ie. sitting with phone in back pocket. In the couple cases of this we've seen the complaint has usually involved being in pocket, we give it a twist and it turns off. I guess skinny jeans kill some 4xl's

Found a few on reddit too

[https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/fehu0b/pixel_4_xl_shutting_off_in_pocket/fjykk5r/

Last edited:

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
Seen a few of these at work. Grab top and bottom of phone and twist. See if it turns off. If it does RMA it. My co-worker said he thinks a solder connection gets broke from fatigue from slight bending over and over ie. sitting with phone in back pocket. In the couple cases of this we've seen the complaint has usually involved being in pocket, we give it a twist and it turns off. I guess skinny jeans kill some 4xl's

Found a few on reddit too

[https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/fehu0b/pixel_4_xl_shutting_off_in_pocket/fjykk5r/
I twisted it and to my surprise it powered off ? ?.
I have had it with Google phones, no more.
They don't last a year with me.
I had nexus 4 from LG, wifi dies
Pixel 2xl touch screen stopped working, just bought a new screen but it turned out its the mainboard issue.
Pixel 4XL now back pocket issue.
I had older phones from 7 years now still working fine and they endured heavily usage and drops.
No more Google hardware ?

cursixx

Nov 4, 2013
My Pixel 4 XL just started doing this last week (Ordered on release day from Google) and I have a RMA replacement on the way. Luckily mine was still under warranty but only by a day.

Rebel7022

Oct 13, 2016
Las Vegas
My Pixel 4 XL just started doing this last week (Ordered on release day from Google) and I have a RMA replacement on the way. Luckily mine was still under warranty but only by a day.

Google put out a notice recently saying that they extended the warranty for the Google Pixel 4 XL to add another year so you get 2 years now.

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
Since I repaired a broken back camera glass cover through a local repair shop, so warranty is over.
I found a work around this problem :cowboy:
I put it around my nick or waist through a case phone that can be worn around the nick.
Since my pixel only have this problem while pressed hard.
eae378bfde31cff06d50660e5559614e9594ef63.png

Last edited:

Rebel7022

Oct 13, 2016
Las Vegas
Last edited:

bigmatt503

Aug 27, 2012
Portland
Google Pixel 4 XL

starflyr

May 11, 2011
nj
well... a couple days before Christmas my 4xl starting turning off randomly in my pocket. tmobile is sending a replacement (asurant) ..
did the twist test and it powered off... wtf google.. no face id on the 5? and more problems...I might have to get my first iPhone...smfh

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
Update 31/01/2021
Ordered new battery and battery connector , it's onboard connector, take it to a reparing shop , and got it fixed.

PS
1-I doubt any reparing shop will replace battery connector because it's very smalle and hard process .
2- order 5 battery connectors as i did , it's cheap and in the replacing process accidently burned 2 connector and the third time was a success , so order 4 or 5 just in case.

Last edited:

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
Update: ordered new camera from aliexpress , worth 15$ , take it to repair shop, replaced it successfully and worked fine , didn't take much photos yet but seems promising.

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
Update 3
Battery is not charging again and stuck at 50% status.

I want to move on to another phone that has a great camera experience.

I honestly don't know if there is a similar camera experience such as pixel.

I watched dozens of reviews and comparisons of other phones.
I am confused

Does any owner and lover of image quality bought another phone and liked its image quality, portrait mode of moving children or object?

murphyjasonc

Oct 19, 2014
Raleigh
My wife's 4Xl's rear camera and flash stopped working last week. I tried all the usual steps to get it back working to no avail. I did a little research and came across a reddit post that helped. I was able to reboot the phone and as soon as it booted back up pull down the top menu and turn the flash on. Surprisingly when I did that the flash came on and the camera started working again. I'm not sure if this a permanent fix but it has been a week without anymore problems. When it stopped working the flash icon in the pull down menu would say that it was in use by the camera. No amount of restarts or factory resets would clear it up but what I did above did the trick. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Reactions: flash713

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
My wife's 4Xl's rear camera and flash stopped working last week. I tried all the usual steps to get it back working to no avail. I did a little research and came across a reddit post that helped. I was able to reboot the phone and as soon as it booted back up pull down the top menu and turn the flash on. Surprisingly when I did that the flash came on and the camera started worki
ngng again. I'm not sure if this a permanent fix but int has been a week without anymore problems. Wmm. bmwhen it stopped working the flash icon in the pull down menu would say that it was in use by the camera. No amount of restarts or factory resets would clear it up but what I did above did the trick. Hopefully this will help someone else.
I googled a lot about camera issues , never came across of what you did.
I purchased and replaced the camera successfully .
But I encountered the battery issues one more time , but this time I had it with pixel .
I purchased a new S21 ultra .
Still testing it .
It's heavier and bigger , I don't like it so far .
But I am going to wait until I get to be more familiar with it.

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
But I am going to order a new battery and battery connector oboard and replace it.
In the meantime I am having S21 ultra in my hands , I still didn't have time to test it's camera image , I hope i like it similarly to pixel

mhd1st

Jun 3, 2009
My wife's 4Xl's rear camera and flash stopped working last week. I tried all the usual steps to get it back working to no avail. I did a little research and came across a reddit post that helped. I was able to reboot the phone and as soon as it booted back up pull down the top menu and turn the flash on. Surprisingly when I did that the flash came on and the camera started working again. I'm not sure if this a permanent fix but it has been a week without anymore problems. When it stopped working the flash icon in the pull down menu would say that it was in use by the camera. No amount of restarts or factory resets would clear it up but what I did above did the trick. Hopefully this will help someone else.
I ordered a new battery and battery replacement and installed them.
But instantly the rear camera issue returned.
This happened last time I replaced the battery too.
I tried your solution.
It did not work.
Can you tell me about it?

murphyjasonc

Oct 19, 2014
Raleigh
I ordered a new battery and battery replacement and installed them.
But instantly the rear camera issue returned.
This happened last time I replaced the battery too.
I tried your solution.
It did not work.
Can you tell me about it?
I think it has to do with timing. I was able to turn the flashlight on and off from the QS menu before unlocking my phone. Luckily this solved the problem for me and it hasn't come back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.