• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Update and keep root

Search This thread

secXces_debaki

Jul 1, 2012
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Hi my fellow rog 2 friends.

Just want to tell you how you update ur WW Rog 2 and keep root.

1. Be rooted (unlocked bootloader + magisk) and have ur device on a WW Fingerprint. (CN Device or WW Device)
2. Download the newest full.zip(19.08WW) update to the root of your phone and reboot
3. After the reboot u get asked if you want to update press yes and wait til 100%
4. When u get to 100% dont restart! Press on later and open Magisk Manager
5. Press Install and choose "install on inactive slot (ota)
6. Wait til its done and reboot over magisk.

Tadaaaa, you update the rom and keeped root.

Have fun.

(Should work on CN devices on CN Rom as well)

Last edited:

victoraran

Jan 21, 2013
Olee Screenshot_20191003-122012377.jpgScreenshot_20191003-121240266.jpg

Enviado desde mi ASUS_I001DE mediante Tapatalk

sesz

Jun 5, 2010
ny

1. Be rooted (unlocked bootloader + magisk) and have ur device on a WW Fingerprint. (CN Device or WW Device)
2. Download the newest full.zip(19.08WW) update to the root of your phone and reboot
3. After the reboot u get asked if you want to update press yes and wait til 100%

Have fun.

Thanks for the guide, but this is for the latest CN firmware not WW. I will try this update when the WW firmware is released.

Last edited:

sesz

Jun 5, 2010
ny
It's universal. Just insert latest ww rom.
Thanks will do that now

It's not only for Chinese. I used the tutorial with WW firmware. Where can I find rom downloads and changelog? The 1908 update for WW there is not at ASUS website. Thanks

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ROG-Phone-II/HelpDesk_BIOS/
WW-16.0631.1908.12 just released on Asus website

Improved Item:
1.Added the AirTriggers/Key Mapping/Macro tabs, and Share/Import features to the Scenario Profiles in Armoury Crate
2.Added setting options for AirTriggers squeeze gesture
3.Added the option to switch between different Bluetooth devices in Calling Screen

ismailonrails

Mar 13, 2014

Have fun.

Thanks a lot, I updated my ROG Phone 2 without root and magisk. I didn't know before how to do it. I downloaded update from asus site and then extracted payload and flashed all files and that bricked my phone. so I went back to older version. today I saw your post and just copied file to root directory of device and restarted and once phone reboots, I saw update prompt.. and now I'm on latest build

Nyuha

Apr 7, 2017
Why does it not ask for update on reboot?
EDIT: had to use CN version even tho my current is WW? is it because my phone was originally CN? confused someone explain.

Last edited:

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
Why does it not ask for update on reboot?
EDIT: had to use CN version even tho my current is WW? is it because my phone was originally CN? confused someone explain.

OK, so you must first change the finerprint of the whole device to WW, not just the ROM. You can use this app here where, under system, after flashing WW rom only, you will see that a couple of parts are still designated to CN fingerprint. Follow this guide to the letter and you will have 1907 installed with true WW fingerprint (i didn't follow steps to unroot and lock bootloader - i am still rooted). Then use this guide which you were on, download the zip of 1908 WW and follow instructions. Then you'll have WW up to date and rooted with BL unlocked. Happy days! Good luck :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Have fun.

People throw the brick term around here freely. A brick, is well a brick. Completely dead, like a brick.
    People throw the brick term around here freely. A brick, is well a brick. Completely dead, like a brick.

..... Which occurs when users ignore the instructions given along with the tools or files !
    Can someone help me with the stock/rooted boot image for WW 1908 please? I managed to update to 1908 but lost root in the process as i dont think I can install the rooted 1907 image now
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GJBWcO7jQsHYGhgFsQZ4cLRvvGpvVMh/view?usp=sharing

Stock and root CN and WW img's 1908
    I don't know what I am doing, I did try to install all .img, I now know how that was wrong. But the actual system.img, fastboot won't let me flash it, it returns a FAILED message essentially saying the volume is full. So yeah, I've been out the flashing rom game in nearly 10 years and it shows, I'm oblivious to how this is all supposed to go down... :(

EDIT: Alright, I got it fixed now. I was trying to flash everything @ boot. Didn't realize system.img was to be flashed to system, vendor.img to vendor and so forth... Cheers!
    EDIT2: I made myself a .bat from this thread to automate the process. https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/help/how-to-update-firmware-tencent-editions-t3967755

that's a highly complicated way of doing it but at this stage, you might have to continue... this is the thread that i used, flashing the raw rom, etc etc. it's MUCH more straight forward, i changed the fingerprint to WW and then updated to latest 1908.21

but at this stage i'm not sure what you have flashed or not flashed, so don't know if you can just run the Flashall_AFT cmd to flash the rom

BTW, the url's have a space near the begining of them that must be removed to make them work, if you find use of that guide...