• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Update and keep root

Search This thread

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
See attached screenshot...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191023-132416794.jpg
    Screenshot_20191023-132416794.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 614

JungleJoint

Oct 13, 2019
I have successfully used this method three times now to update manually to the latest Firmware. Has worked without a hitch every time.

Hopefully Android 10 soon :cool::cool:

Hitlerzz

Jan 19, 2018
I am not rooted yet, and I have everything to root the device including the patched magisk img , however as there is no twrp for this phone I want to make sure that i have an option to update the device without any repercussions. I am using a ww rom and i dev confirms that that i have ww fingerprint... Could you please provide me with a video on how to update the device with the mentioned process

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
I am not rooted yet, and I have everything to root the device including the patched magisk img , however as there is no twrp for this phone I want to make sure that i have an option to update the device without any repercussions. I am using a ww rom and i dev confirms that that i have ww fingerprint... Could you please provide me with a video on how to update the device with the mentioned process
Well this process is pretty easy (updating magisk), but first you need to get that boot img on your phone. Which rom version are you using?

Spawn_Ishan

Nov 26, 2013
Mumbai
Your method works on the latest 44 update as well, booted my phone properly in the first try and with magisk and all modules intact.
Hi my fellow rog 2 friends.

Just want to tell you how you update ur WW Rog 2 and keep root.

1. Be rooted (unlocked bootloader + magisk) and have ur device on a WW Fingerprint. (CN Device or WW Device)
2. Download the newest full.zip(19.08WW) update to the root of your phone and reboot
3. After the reboot u get asked if you want to update press yes and wait til 100%
4. When u get to 100% dont restart! Press on later and open Magisk Manager
5. Press Install and choose "install on inactive slot (ota)
6. Wait til its done and reboot over magisk.

Tadaaaa, you update the rom and keeped root.

Have fun.

(Should work on CN devices on CN Rom as well)

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Xiaomi Poco F3
Thia is what i am currently running on

So, I'll assume you're already on WW fingerprint as you're running 1910.44 rom... OK dude, so go to this thread and do steps 0,3,4 (but instead of 1910.35 from that thread, download the root boot img for your rom - 1910.44 from here), then do step 5 but instead of typing "fastboot flash boot rootww191035.img", you'll be typing "fastboot flash boot rootWW191044.img" as the fastboot cmd.

That's it, you should now be rooted, although I can't remember if Magisk Manager is included in the .44 root boot img... you may need to download it from here and install it. Open Magisk Manager and check that you are rooted with magisk...

****** Now, WW rom version 1910.64 has just been released and as of yet there is no root boot img for it, so it's a good opportunity to practice the straight forward process of updating and keeping root. So, download the WW 1910.64 zip from here and move it from downloads folder to root of internal storage - it's the main area where all other folders are kept, like downloads, music etc etc, place it there not in any folder.
Restart your phone and when it detects the update, select update, wait for it to finish but DON'T select reboot (you'll lose root), just select 'later'.
Open Magisk Manager and select 'install' for Magisk (not magisk manager), then select 'Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA). Install it and reboot. ******

That's it, you're done. Repeat the process ******....****** each time you update and you'll keep root.

NOTE: STEP 0 (ZERO) ON THE FIRST THREAD I LINKED TO WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE WHEN YOU RUN THE BOOTLOADER UNLOADER APK. Also running that tool invalidates your warranty with Asus, but I guess (if you have a Tencent version) it's already invalid as you are running a WW rom now... so at some point your bootloader will have been unoocked already.
ALSO NOTE: there is a video that you may find useful in the first thread I linked to, apprently it's very good. It's at the bottom of the 1st post

Last edited:
Reactions: rOman2205

rOman2205

Jan 6, 2014
Dhaka
So, I'll assume you're already on WW fingerprint as you're running 1910.44 rom... OK dude, so go to this thread and do steps 0,3,4 (but instead of 1910.35 from that thread, download the root boot img for your rom - 1910.44 from here), then do step 5 but instead of typing "fastboot flash boot rootww191035.img", you'll be typing "fastboot flash boot rootWW191044.img" as the fastboot cmd.

That's it, you should now be rooted, although I can't remember if Magisk Manager is included in the .44 root boot img... you may need to download it from here and install it. Open Magisk Manager and check that you are rooted with magisk...

****** Now, WW rom version 1910.64 has just been released and as of yet there is no root boot img for it, so it's a good opportunity to practice the straight forward process of updating and keeping root. So, download the WW 1910.64 zip from here and move it from downloads folder to root of internal storage - it's the main area where all other folders are kept, like downloads, music etc etc, place it there not in any folder.
Restart your phone and when it detects the update, select update, wait for it to finish but DON'T select reboot (you'll lose root), just select 'later'.
Open Magisk Manager and select 'install' for Magisk (not magisk manager), then select 'Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA). Install it and reboot. ******

That's it, you're done. Repeat the process ******....****** each time you update and you'll keep root.

NOTE: STEP 0 (ZERO) ON THE FIRST THREAD I LINKED TO WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE WHEN YOU RUN THE BOOTLOADER UNLOADER APK. Also running that tool invalidates your warranty with Asus, but I guess (if you have a Tencent version) it's already invalid as you are running a WW rom now... so at some point your bootloader will have been unoocked already.
ALSO NOTE: there is a video that you may find useful in the first thread I linked to, apprently it's very good. It's at the bottom of the 1st post

Successfully update keeping root....thank u....

Hitlerzz

Jan 19, 2018

I don't see any link for the video in the thread

Hitlerzz

Jan 19, 2018
Thanks for the link provided .... However I am on a WW ROM... The video that I have asked is for updating the device without loosing the root with the inactive slot..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi my fellow rog 2 friends.

Just want to tell you how you update ur WW Rog 2 and keep root.

1. Be rooted (unlocked bootloader + magisk) and have ur device on a WW Fingerprint. (CN Device or WW Device)
    2. Download the newest full.zip(19.08WW) update to the root of your phone and reboot
    3. After the reboot u get asked if you want to update press yes and wait til 100%
    4. When u get to 100% dont restart! Press on later and open Magisk Manager
    5. Press Install and choose "install on inactive slot (ota)
    6. Wait til its done and reboot over magisk.

Tadaaaa, you update the rom and keeped root.

Have fun.

(Should work on CN devices on CN Rom as well)
    People throw the brick term around here freely. A brick, is well a brick. Completely dead, like a brick.
    People throw the brick term around here freely. A brick, is well a brick. Completely dead, like a brick.

..... Which occurs when users ignore the instructions given along with the tools or files !
    Can someone help me with the stock/rooted boot image for WW 1908 please? I managed to update to 1908 but lost root in the process as i dont think I can install the rooted 1907 image now
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GJBWcO7jQsHYGhgFsQZ4cLRvvGpvVMh/view?usp=sharing

Stock and root CN and WW img's 1908
    I don't know what I am doing, I did try to install all .img, I now know how that was wrong. But the actual system.img, fastboot won't let me flash it, it returns a FAILED message essentially saying the volume is full. So yeah, I've been out the flashing rom game in nearly 10 years and it shows, I'm oblivious to how this is all supposed to go down... :(

EDIT: Alright, I got it fixed now. I was trying to flash everything @ boot. Didn't realize system.img was to be flashed to system, vendor.img to vendor and so forth... Cheers!
    EDIT2: I made myself a .bat from this thread to automate the process. https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/help/how-to-update-firmware-tencent-editions-t3967755

that's a highly complicated way of doing it but at this stage, you might have to continue... this is the thread that i used, flashing the raw rom, etc etc. it's MUCH more straight forward, i changed the fingerprint to WW and then updated to latest 1908.21

but at this stage i'm not sure what you have flashed or not flashed, so don't know if you can just run the Flashall_AFT cmd to flash the rom

BTW, the url's have a space near the begining of them that must be removed to make them work, if you find use of that guide...