Update and keep root

Search This thread

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 6
I guess you have a working fastboot envrioment already,
try to change the slot to b in fastboot.

fastboot --set-active=b or fastboot --set-active=_b

didnt tried that command on this device, but that should fix it.

yeah, long story short, i didn't see your post until after the following process...

so, many thanks dude, but i had an unlocked BL and already changed the fingerprint to WW, went ahead and downloaded the RAW 1908 WW rom, the rootww190812.img from telegram group, then followed the process here, replacing anything with the 1908 versions and ignoring changing the FP again as i'm already changed.

Then when it came to updating 1908 with magisk v.20 i just selected 'direct install (recommended)' after the clean flash. May help someone...

all updated now with magisk v.20 successfully installed :)

praveen6585

Jul 28, 2010
Mumbai
Can someone help me with the stock/rooted boot image for WW 1908 please? I managed to update to 1908 but lost root in the process as i dont think I can install the rooted 1907 image now

WhyKlwd

Jan 10, 2008
What is it to your trying to do, what version are you on now and its it WW or CN? Need more info...

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm on 1907WW, trying to flash 1908WW from the .zip linked in this thread. But I think I got it now, gonna flash fastboot all the .img I have finally extracted. Thanks for your quick reply!

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 6
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm on 1907WW, trying to flash 1908WW from the .zip linked in this thread. But I think I got it now, gonna flash fastboot all the .img I have finally extracted. Thanks for your quick reply!

Whoa, wait a minute dude!, what img files exactly are you gonna start flashing? tell us what you're doing, just want to make sure you're gonna mess it up (not i'm claiming to be a pro or anything...) - it's just you say 'all the .img' are you flashing more than one?

Last edited:

WhyKlwd

Jan 10, 2008
Whoa, wait a minute dude!, what img files exactly are you gonna start flashing? tell us what you're doing, just want to make sure you're gonna mess it up (not i'm claiming to be a pro or anything...) - it's just you say 'all the .img' are you flashing more than one?

I don't know what I am doing, I did try to install all .img, I now know how that was wrong. But the actual system.img, fastboot won't let me flash it, it returns a FAILED message essentially saying the volume is full. So yeah, I've been out the flashing rom game in nearly 10 years and it shows, I'm oblivious to how this is all supposed to go down... :(

EDIT: Alright, I got it fixed now. I was trying to flash everything @ boot. Didn't realize system.img was to be flashed to system, vendor.img to vendor and so forth... Cheers!
EDIT2: I made myself a .bat from this thread to automate the process. https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/help/how-to-update-firmware-tencent-editions-t3967755

Last edited:

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 6
I don't know what I am doing, I did try to install all .img, I now know how that was wrong. But the actual system.img, fastboot won't let me flash it, it returns a FAILED message essentially saying the volume is full. So yeah, I've been out the flashing rom game in nearly 10 years and it shows, I'm oblivious to how this is all supposed to go down... :(

EDIT: Alright, I got it fixed now. I was trying to flash everything @ boot. Didn't realize system.img was to be flashed to system, vendor.img to vendor and so forth... Cheers!
EDIT2: I made myself a .bat from this thread to automate the process. https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/help/how-to-update-firmware-tencent-editions-t3967755

that's a highly complicated way of doing it but at this stage, you might have to continue... this is the thread that i used, flashing the raw rom, etc etc. it's MUCH more straight forward, i changed the fingerprint to WW and then updated to latest 1908.21

but at this stage i'm not sure what you have flashed or not flashed, so don't know if you can just run the Flashall_AFT cmd to flash the rom

BTW, the url's have a space near the begining of them that must be removed to make them work, if you find use of that guide...

Last edited:
Reactions: WhyKlwd

WhyKlwd

Jan 10, 2008
I did follow that guide, that was fine, it's very detailed. It was upgrading to 1908.12 that was an issue.

Now, is it a typo cause you said you updated to 1908.21? I assume that's CN cause I've looked everywhere and the latest WW I could find is 1908.12. Can you please confirm?

And yeah, I am now familiar with the whole process, I even relocked the bootloader at this point.

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 6
I did follow that guide, that was fine, it's very detailed. It was upgrading to 1908.12 that was an issue.

Now, is it a typo cause you said you updated to 1908.21? I assume that's CN cause I've looked everywhere and the latest WW I could find is 1908.12. Can you please confirm?

And yeah, I am now familiar with the whole process, I even relocked the bootloader at this point.
No, no typo, 1908.21 is here and WW

https://dlsvr04.asus.com.cn/pub/ASU...US_I001_1-ASUS-16.0631.1908.21-1.1.3-user.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi my fellow rog 2 friends.

Just want to tell you how you update ur WW Rog 2 and keep root.

1. Be rooted (unlocked bootloader + magisk) and have ur device on a WW Fingerprint. (CN Device or WW Device)
    2. Download the newest full.zip(19.08WW) update to the root of your phone and reboot
    3. After the reboot u get asked if you want to update press yes and wait til 100%
    4. When u get to 100% dont restart! Press on later and open Magisk Manager
    5. Press Install and choose "install on inactive slot (ota)
    6. Wait til its done and reboot over magisk.

Tadaaaa, you update the rom and keeped root.

Have fun.

(Should work on CN devices on CN Rom as well)
    People throw the brick term around here freely. A brick, is well a brick. Completely dead, like a brick.
    People throw the brick term around here freely. A brick, is well a brick. Completely dead, like a brick.

..... Which occurs when users ignore the instructions given along with the tools or files !
    Can someone help me with the stock/rooted boot image for WW 1908 please? I managed to update to 1908 but lost root in the process as i dont think I can install the rooted 1907 image now
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GJBWcO7jQsHYGhgFsQZ4cLRvvGpvVMh/view?usp=sharing

Stock and root CN and WW img's 1908

that's a highly complicated way of doing it but at this stage, you might have to continue... this is the thread that i used, flashing the raw rom, etc etc. it's MUCH more straight forward, i changed the fingerprint to WW and then updated to latest 1908.21

but at this stage i'm not sure what you have flashed or not flashed, so don't know if you can just run the Flashall_AFT cmd to flash the rom

BTW, the url's have a space near the begining of them that must be removed to make them work, if you find use of that guide...