[UPDATE] Ascend Mate 7 not-stock-derivative ROMS development status

Search This thread

gabry3795

Jun 22, 2015
Rome
gpm.name
This post is an update about ROM development that are not-stock-derivative, I will update it as long as I have this phone.

The Case
I am a developer, I have the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 (TL09) and recently I have built the Cyanogenmod 12.1 rom using the proprietary libraries inside the last B324 stock ROM. I also used @codeworkx base files within the Honor 6 project but everything was useless. So I just contacted codeworkx and he told me that is not possible to build a working ROM for this phone because important CPU/GPU-related source files are missing and we will never know if someday Huawei will release them (Sign here for the petition).

Currently, IS NOT possible to build a working not-stock-derivative ROM for the Huawei Ascend Mate 7. Cyanogenmod roms that you can find are not developed for Mate 7 but for the Honor 6 that has a quite similar hardware background. The Honor 6 has the same problem now just because Android 5 changed the way "to interact with the hardware".

I am very disappointed for this but I wanted to warn you whether you already have this phone or you're going to buy it (or to sell it).

The Petition
If you think that is important to have a complete free sources for this phone, and you want new non-stock roms please feel free to sign the petition that I created HERE.

The Sources
I report below my repositories where I put my "useless" work, if someone want to lose time on it:

Contacts
Huawei can write directly to me at gabry.gabry <at> hotmail.it

UPDATES
  • 2016/09/21 | I released the first beta image of the AOSP rom - available here
  • 2016/09/21 | 250 people signed the petition
  • 2016/08/01 | Today is an important day for Mate7 developing scene. A few weeks ago I re-started to work on cm but I realized that cyanogenmod framework (based on Android 6.0.1) is incompatible with the stock libraries provided in the stock ROM (based on Android 6.0) and that you are obliged to use to get the GPU work, so if huawei will change his way to write libraries (especially adapting them to Android AND NOT adapting Android to them) mainly for the next generation of phones, we could see a true implementation of other ROMs. As I didn't want to throw all the work done to the wind I switched to the Android AOSP the same version of the stock ROM, 6.0. So i worked for about an entire week, day and night, to get the stock ROM to boot and on the 29th of July I succeded. Then was very easy to get the wifi and bluetooth to work the main problem was the telephony layer. After millions of trials and errors I get the ril-daemon to work but the aosp framework didn't recognize the signals sent by the modem, as they talk two different languages. I decided to decompile the huawei framework and there, after searching in millions of lines and after two entire days I realized were the problem was.
    Today I built a perfectly booting AOSP ROM for the Mate7 where WiFi, Bluetooth, Telephony and 4G are working. But there are other things to fix, the system often crashes so I don't want to release anything for now but when I will reach an acceptable system I will start releasing the ROM. Here some screens: http://imgur.com/a/rP4KJ
  • 2016/04/19 | I managed to start the GPU driver, so it seems that it was not true that other sources or patches were needed to get a non-stock ROM to work. This is a really big step towards a full ROM from the creation of this post on 2015/11. For now the mate is stuck on the boot animation but we know for sure that we don't need GPU sources as was told before. I'm investigating the reason why the phone does not boot. There is an high probability that we will see a booting rom soon. GIF here
  • 2016/04/17 | Recovery is working. http://imgur.com/TYRQafc
  • 2016/04/15 | I'm trying to get a working recovery before starting to work on the system. After fixing kernel offsets, when booting the recovery the phone does not stuck on huawei logo as before but bootloop. Recovery is identical for *.rc files and fstab to the stock but still bootloop, I think that kernel offsets are still wrong so I'm trying to hardcode them in a custom mkbootimg. I just managed to build the kernel and repack it to the stock Android 6.0 B551. For now it's not useful but it's a big step towards a full build. Screenshot http://imgur.com/4MGuzUN.png
  • 2016/04/12 | 161 people signed the petition AND a few weeks ago kernel 3.10.86 sources shipped with betas B5** have been released. I managed to compile the kernel together with the CM13 but the phone doesn't boot the system and logcat is impossible. I'm investigating why this happens. I'm stuck as when I built the CM12 but the difference is that now the kernel compiles perfectly with the main rom source.
  • 2016/01/26 | 100 people signed the petition we're slowly growing.
  • 2015/12/12 | 72 people signed the petition, after one month we are very far from goal. Hopes are vanishing.
  • 2015/11/08 | HERE you can find a small petition that I created, you are free to sign it if you care about these sources.

Last edited:

hadid90

Jan 2, 2010
can we just make a petition for huawei so maybe they will release the source code needed for developers ?

Reactions: gabry3795

gabry3795

Jun 22, 2015
Rome
gpm.name
can we just make a petition for huawei so maybe they will release the source code needed for developers ?

I was thinking the same thing, it's the only hope we have. I really don't understand why they don't release these sources as Qualcomm did for snapdragon. If marketing reasons stand behind this I think that getting the sources will be very hard, but we can always try it.

I updated the post with the petition link.

Last edited:

PoisonNinja

Jan 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
I was thinking the same thing, it's the only hope we have. I really don't understand why they don't release these sources as Qualcomm did for snapdragon. If marketing reasons stand behind this I think that getting the sources will be very hard, but we can always try it.

I updated the post with the petition link.

I think you should post it in the General forum, since that gets a lot more traffic there. I signed your petition! Hope it works!

Reactions: blackhawk_LA

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Hi !

I just buy a mate 7 (TL09). I did some hard work in the past on some non-opensource devices (amazon hdx thor, tegra 4i ..), I'll try to join the (not) fun soon :)

Envoyé de mon Kindle Fire HDX 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

ELV1ZARR0

Jan 28, 2016
Veracruz
ROM

there is a rom flyme you working on lollipop but is for use as a base Might TL10 sorry for mi bad English

Last edited:

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
So gabry3795, for now we only have kk kernel sources for the m7 ? By the way I should receive mine in 2-3 days :)

gabry3795

Jun 22, 2015
Rome
gpm.name
So gabry3795, for now we only have kk kernel sources for the m7 ? By the way I should receive mine in 2-3 days :)

Yes we have kk kernel sources but they're incomplete so you can't compile the kernel. There are missing .h files and also drivers/modem was a broken symlink to ../../vendor/hisi/modem/drv/acore/kernel/drivers/modem. So I took the folder vendor from h60 kernel https://github.com/codeworkx/kernel-huawei-h60 and I put it in drivers/. Now drivers/modem is symlinked to /drivers/vendor/hisi/modem/drv/acore/kernel/drivers/modem but the the kernel is still uncompilable. I think they just zipped their folder /kernel in their build evironment without coping everything you need to compile the kernel, I don't know if it's fair but they did it.

Okay let me/us know when you will get your hands on the mate! ;)

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Yes we have kk kernel sources but they're incomplete so you can't compile the kernel. There are missing .h files and also drivers/modem was a broken symlink to ../../vendor/hisi/modem/drv/acore/kernel/drivers/modem. So I took the folder vendor from h60 kernel https://github.com/codeworkx/kernel-huawei-h60 and I put it in drivers/. Now drivers/modem is symlinked to /drivers/vendor/hisi/modem/drv/acore/kernel/drivers/modem but the the kernel is still uncompilable. I think they just zipped their folder /kernel in their build evironment without coping everything you need to compile the kernel, I don't know if it's fair but they did it.

Okay let me/us know when you will get your hands on the mate! ;)
As i don't have the device yet i didn't understand all yet but it seems we can have some brick when playing with the device or is it just some "noob" users reporting this ? Is the only problem the bootloader when trying to go from on version to another version ? Im asking because i think it would be better for me to start playing with cm13, but i dont want to be stuck on that version (MM) or worst brick the device, which is dont see yet how it would be possible by the way.

Envoyé de mon LG-D855 en utilisant Tapatalk

ELV1ZARR0

Jan 28, 2016
Veracruz
As i don't have the device yet i didn't understand all yet but it seems we can have some brick when playing with the device or is it just some "noob" users reporting this ? Is the only problem the bootloader when trying to go from on version to another version ? Im asking because i think it would be better for me to start playing with cm13, but i dont want to be stuck on that version (MM) or worst brick the device, which is dont see yet how it would be possible by the way.

there is a rom flyme with lollipop you can use as a base for CM12

gabry3795

Jun 22, 2015
Rome
gpm.name

I really did heavy testing on this device, trying to install cm recovery and /system built on my own and I have always found a way to restore stock roms. A few months ago I also formatted /boot (which contains the kernel as you know, my mistake :silly:) /recovery and /system partitions at the same time and the device was stuck on huawei logo: so I could boot from the bootloader which allows you to reflash anything you want, this is the only pro of huawei devices I think.

P.S.: Are you replacing your LG G3 with the mate 7? I think it's a mistake! ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post is an update about ROM development that are not-stock-derivative, I will update it as long as I have this phone.

The Case
    I am a developer, I have the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 (TL09) and recently I have built the Cyanogenmod 12.1 rom using the proprietary libraries inside the last B324 stock ROM. I also used @codeworkx base files within the Honor 6 project but everything was useless. So I just contacted codeworkx and he told me that is not possible to build a working ROM for this phone because important CPU/GPU-related source files are missing and we will never know if someday Huawei will release them (Sign here for the petition).

Currently, IS NOT possible to build a working not-stock-derivative ROM for the Huawei Ascend Mate 7. Cyanogenmod roms that you can find are not developed for Mate 7 but for the Honor 6 that has a quite similar hardware background. The Honor 6 has the same problem now just because Android 5 changed the way "to interact with the hardware".

I am very disappointed for this but I wanted to warn you whether you already have this phone or you're going to buy it (or to sell it).

The Petition
    If you think that is important to have a complete free sources for this phone, and you want new non-stock roms please feel free to sign the petition that I created HERE.

The Sources
    I report below my repositories where I put my "useless" work, if someone want to lose time on it:

Contacts
    Huawei can write directly to me at gabry.gabry <at> hotmail.it

UPDATES
    • 2016/09/21 | I released the first beta image of the AOSP rom - available here
    • 2016/09/21 | 250 people signed the petition
    • 2016/08/01 | Today is an important day for Mate7 developing scene. A few weeks ago I re-started to work on cm but I realized that cyanogenmod framework (based on Android 6.0.1) is incompatible with the stock libraries provided in the stock ROM (based on Android 6.0) and that you are obliged to use to get the GPU work, so if huawei will change his way to write libraries (especially adapting them to Android AND NOT adapting Android to them) mainly for the next generation of phones, we could see a true implementation of other ROMs. As I didn't want to throw all the work done to the wind I switched to the Android AOSP the same version of the stock ROM, 6.0. So i worked for about an entire week, day and night, to get the stock ROM to boot and on the 29th of July I succeded. Then was very easy to get the wifi and bluetooth to work the main problem was the telephony layer. After millions of trials and errors I get the ril-daemon to work but the aosp framework didn't recognize the signals sent by the modem, as they talk two different languages. I decided to decompile the huawei framework and there, after searching in millions of lines and after two entire days I realized were the problem was.
      Today I built a perfectly booting AOSP ROM for the Mate7 where WiFi, Bluetooth, Telephony and 4G are working. But there are other things to fix, the system often crashes so I don't want to release anything for now but when I will reach an acceptable system I will start releasing the ROM. Here some screens: http://imgur.com/a/rP4KJ
    • 2016/04/19 | I managed to start the GPU driver, so it seems that it was not true that other sources or patches were needed to get a non-stock ROM to work. This is a really big step towards a full ROM from the creation of this post on 2015/11. For now the mate is stuck on the boot animation but we know for sure that we don't need GPU sources as was told before. I'm investigating the reason why the phone does not boot. There is an high probability that we will see a booting rom soon. GIF here
    • 2016/04/17 | Recovery is working. http://imgur.com/TYRQafc
    • 2016/04/15 | I'm trying to get a working recovery before starting to work on the system. After fixing kernel offsets, when booting the recovery the phone does not stuck on huawei logo as before but bootloop. Recovery is identical for *.rc files and fstab to the stock but still bootloop, I think that kernel offsets are still wrong so I'm trying to hardcode them in a custom mkbootimg. I just managed to build the kernel and repack it to the stock Android 6.0 B551. For now it's not useful but it's a big step towards a full build. Screenshot http://imgur.com/4MGuzUN.png
    • 2016/04/12 | 161 people signed the petition AND a few weeks ago kernel 3.10.86 sources shipped with betas B5** have been released. I managed to compile the kernel together with the CM13 but the phone doesn't boot the system and logcat is impossible. I'm investigating why this happens. I'm stuck as when I built the CM12 but the difference is that now the kernel compiles perfectly with the main rom source.
    • 2016/01/26 | 100 people signed the petition we're slowly growing.
    • 2015/12/12 | 72 people signed the petition, after one month we are very far from goal. Hopes are vanishing.
    • 2015/11/08 | HERE you can find a small petition that I created, you are free to sign it if you care about these sources.
    08/01 Update - AOSP

Today is an important day for Mate7 developing scene. A few weeks ago I re-started to work on cm but I realized that cyanogenmod framework (based on Android 6.0.1) is incompatible with the stock libraries provided in the stock ROM (based on Android 6.0) and that you are obliged to use to get the GPU work, so if huawei will change his way to write libraries (especially adapting them to Android AND NOT adapting Android to them) mainly for the next generation of phones, we could see a true implementation of other ROMs. As I didn't want to throw all the work done to the wind I switched to the Android AOSP the same version of the stock ROM, 6.0. So i worked for about an entire week, day and night, to get the stock ROM to boot and on the 29th of July I succeded. Then was very easy to get the wifi and bluetooth to work but the main problem was the telephony layer. After millions of trials and errors I get the ril-daemon to work but the aosp framework didn't recognize the signals sent by the modem, as they talk two different languages. I decided to decompile the huawei framework and there, after searching in millions of lines and after two entire days I realized were the problem was.
    Dear @gabry3795....What's your opinion? Can we expect a functioning ROM towards the end of this month?
    i see and follow, that you are corperating with @Cpasjuste...and are you also in contact with @codeworkx and @acbka

Well, it's difficult to talk about "time" in these cases and I don't want to promise anything because there's nothing certain, I cannot guarantee that we will see a cm for the mate yet. The only things that I can say are:
    - I succesfully built the cyanogenmod recovery and it's working
    - I succesfully built the the system but it's not booting and I'm investigating why this happens
    - I am working a lot on this project even if I am studying in the meanwhile
    - I will post any update and any achievement in this thread
    I really hope that we manage to build a complete and working cm for this device.

As you can see here we're trying to cooperate and anyone who has a minimum of time and acknowledge is welcomed here.
    Very good work @gabry3795 ! I really miss the time to play on Android this days, but I hope to find it as you probably did the hardest part, I'm sure I could help. I'll let you know if this happen :)

Perfect, I just released the first beta release here, next step it's to fix the GPS ;)

That release it's only for testers and anyone wants to contribute to this project, you can find a complete changelog here.
    Good luck! :highfive:
    04/17 update

UPDATE
    Cyanogenmod recovery is working.
    http://imgur.com/TYRQafc