"Update Failed! Main Version is older!"

Search This thread

petrafan007

Oct 31, 2008
WTF MATES!

Ok, so I probably should have done more research but I went to google and searched BY DATE for the most CURRENT INFO on rooting the phone. I got this site: http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/11/state-of-the-htc-evo-root-world-november-2011.html

I went by the HTC unlock method because the first link (revolutionary) didn't have my HBOOT version. Now, I'm suffering because of it because my fastboot doesn't come up any more. I get the message "Update Failed! Main Version is older!" So I went to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1239821

...and followed those instructions and...nothing worked. Is there any fix to this? Any help would be appreciated and sorry for being.... yes, a noob. :(

Jun 17, 2009
N/A
1- This is the wrong section
2- could you provide more info on your phone like what hboot version u have

If u are more specific you may have better luck...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

shark1987

Oct 14, 2007
Cypress, TX
Do you have a file called [PG86IMG.zip] still in the root of your SD card? It sounds like maybe you have an older update file that the phone wont use because you upgraded to the newest via the HTC Tool.

Reactions: beyondr and siraloz

amarsidhu

Jul 7, 2005
@petrafan007:
i am getting the same error
main version is old
what should i do
you wrote "thank you very much, that's what it was. i removed the file and it worked"
which file you removed i have done alot of research and i did everything according to the tutorial but this error msg comes please help me out
i have hboot 1.49.0009 i want to go to 1.49.0007
early reply is appreciated as i want to get it done at the earliest

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
@petrafan007:
main version is old
what should i do
you wrote "thank you very much, that's what it was. i removed the file and it worked"
which file you removed i have done alot of research and i did everything according to the tutorial but this error msg comes please help me out

If you mount your sdcard you should see one named PG86IMG.zip, you'll need to rename or delete it.

Reactions: amarsidhu

amarsidhu

Jul 7, 2005
i am not being able to find the solution for this prob. i have done almost everything but still the same error pops up all the time. did it several time. first of all i am not being able to get the mmcblk0p31.img file.
i almost checked all the tutorials but no use i am still not being able to figure out that where i am going wrong.

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

although ma phone is rooted and i have loaded the wifi tether titanium backup also but how to get the s-off done

raidraid

May 19, 2009
hi , i try ti change my hboot 1.49.0018 to 1.49.0007 but in last stap when i try to flash PG86IMG.zip it says , main version is older!
please help

Desso90

Aug 21, 2012
The reason you're getting stuck is because the bootloader automatically tries to load PG86IMG.zip if it exists on the sd card, the quick and dirty way around this is to remove the SD card, boot the phone up and but the card back when the phone has booted up.

"the main version is older" problem is due to the fact that before updating the timestamps on the hboot in the PG86IMG.zip(1.49.0007) and your current hboot (1.49.0009 or 1.49.0018) are compared, and as it turns out 1.49.0007 is the oldest of the bunch, so it gets rejected.

to get around the above mentioned problem (for the GSM version at least) follow the instructions in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1471246 it basically changes the timestamp/versionID of the 1.49.0007 to trick the phone into downgrading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have a file called [PG86IMG.zip] still in the root of your SD card? It sounds like maybe you have an older update file that the phone wont use because you upgraded to the newest via the HTC Tool.
    @petrafan007:
    main version is old
    what should i do

If you mount your sdcard you should see one named PG86IMG.zip, you'll need to rename or delete it.